z

Young Writers Society



open book

by Rosella



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 10
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:14 am
AngelBunnyroll wrote a review...



Hello DeepRoses, right off the bat I want to say I love this poem. I think it's nice how quick and brief it is and I like how you talked about how some people expect you to show more of you when they've shown almost nothing about themselves to you. You're left guessing about what that person could have beneath them and they themselves are already gung-ho about knowing who you are without opening themselves up. This brings some nostalgia up about the first year of highschool and even up to now it is very relatable. Nice poem, sorry if this review isn't that great




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:58 am
View Likes
soundofmind wrote a review...



Boy howdy there,

This is one of those poems that I think you could make longer to add more context if you wanted to, but as far as the content goes, it stands alone as the few five lines alright. That said, if you want to make the poem really strong, I think you could play around with your word choice a little. While there are no rhymes (so you don't need to change anything for rhyme's sake), a few things I think could sound better! I think picking different words might help with the flow/cadence, which, as AnnMath pointed out, is difficult to find at first.

For example:

while your book is locked shut with greed,


I feel like "but" would work better here in place of "while?" I feel it would more strongly indicate the contrast between the person who's more of an open book than the other who refuses to share anything about their life (which I assume is what's being communicated).

and your cover is nothing but a bleak canvas


It could just be me - in which case, ignore me - but the word bleak seems to break the flow of the poem a bit. It just doesn't feel like it fits. Maybe because I just don't see how that describes a book cover???

I think something that you did really well in consideration to the flow and cadence of the poem was by looking closely at the syllable count! It helps when there is a pattern, just like when a poem rhymes, people recommend rhyme schemes. Of course, it's not necessary, but it sure is helpful! The first four lines all have 8 syllables, and the last one is the only one where you go over to 12.

I know you already have so many reviews for this, but I had this whole thing typed up like two days ago or something but I didn't get a chance to post it. I haven't reviewed in so long and I'm super rusty. Feel free to throw my opinions away if they're unwanted, but hopefully I was able to help or at least provide some food for thought!

~Sound




Rosella says...


thank you so much for the review!



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 11
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:45 pm
jordynlp03 says...



This was a very relatable poem. I feel like so many of us do this exact same thing and feel these emotions. Yet, not many people are able to put it so beautifully into words like you have. I love how you put your heart out in the open to write this so that someone who really needs it will someday read it. Great job and keep writing! :)




User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 1343
Reviews: 56

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:02 pm
dystopianmonkey01 wrote a review...



I likey
Concise, beautiful.

Only thing: I think that another line would have been good in between the 3rd and 4th line, only because I get the vibe that it jumps a bit and it's like ??? *2 seconds later* Oh yeah, got it!! Know what I mean?

Although being short and sweet is great, sometimes you need to tell a story more and fill in the gaps to make it flow better.

Nonetheless!!! Love it, the word "bleak" is really good I reckon.

- Tiana :)




User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 4757
Reviews: 73

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 am
NightKaizer wrote a review...



HEELLO Deep Roses,
A poem about secrets I guess. I read the description. It's a very short poem which is good since more people will take the time to read it. It also sums up everything into one stanza. Very nice.
I like how you added the word "greed" in there. It makes it seem as if the person hides there own secrets for a bad reason. Most people do it out of privacy. But this person just wants to know more without providing any of their own knowledge.
"Bleak canvas" is nice too. It shows that the person really doesn't have anything to hide. They just want to know more so they can hurt you with it.

Greed's a pitiful thing,

Night Kaizer




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 56
Reviews: 8

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:15 am
AnnMath says...



Reviews, reviews

I'm not much of a poet, but I couldn't find the flow of the poem very easily. The words painted a nice picture, but reading them was more like a story than a song. Other than that, great job. It told a great story.

AnnMath




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1181
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:10 pm
Regime wrote a review...



Hi, this is Regime.

This poem is very short, and I don't really review poetry, but I'll try my best to help.

I found this poem interesting, yet something tells me an idea about an open book has been done before. However, I think you've turned it into something different. I feel as though an interpretation is easy to discover, which makes it easier for [me] to read [and more likable, because I'm not much of a deep thinker]. :P I think this is a good poem that many people could find thought-provoking. I like the format as well, and the lines fit just right. Yet, what makes the words 'painful'? I feel like there is a better, more descriptive word that would fit. Anyways, well done.

-Regime





If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson