z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

And here you are.

by Davwilson


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

My tiredness causes me to feel weary, a sense of not being alive. I don't remember if there was ever a time where I did feel alive, and if there was a time, what it was like

He keeps his liquor on the top shelf

A week later, he invites me over

Every bottle of heavy alcohol is vacant with a place still cleared for where it once sat.

He is in his room,

I haven't seen him for a couple of hours

I wonder if he is drinking away his pain

I wonder

If the company of my depressed little brother and i

Is not enough to remind him

Not to take another sip

It is not that I don't want to be my father's daughter

It is that I am afraid to be.

I was taught to trust my instincts and that is how I know you are lying

We fell apart, quickly, and painfully. I knew it would happen eventually, I just didn't expect it to be so suddenly, or so fast.

The ceiling is so high, i feel disconnected from humanity.

Hands are my favourite thing to draw, they are the result of my pain. They are the art of doing and the power that can't be undone. I can still feel my mother's hands gripped around my neck. I can still feel the fist to my gut, the push on my shoulders, the grab on my wrist, the pull on my hair, the hands throwing me across the room, the hands feeling me purely for pleasure. I can still feel every hand that abused me. People wonder why i don't like physical contact. I don't want their hands to hurt me too.

I have been mentally abused

Physically abused

Sexually abused

The abused

And the abuser.

This trauma has made me angry

Not at the abusive

But at myself.

Trauma that made me feel worthless

To the point where i abused myself too

To the point where i scarred my skin

Faintly

But still scarred.

To the point where I hospitalized myself

Not fatal

But still hospitalized.

Pain is NOT beautiful.

But I have the power

To turn it into something

That is.

Mother,

You were created with hands

So you could spin

The gold from your heart

So why can i still feel them

With rage around my neck?

They could both feel it, two young inspired minds filling an empty room with their potential. It was exhilarating, powerful, something beautiful, something beyond the washed out life they were living. For the first time, they saw the world with a profound perspective and their eyes shone so bright that for the first time, the world finally saw them.

I was born 17 years ago, but today, I have finally come alive.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:03 am
MeisterChan wrote a review...



Hey, Davwilson! Scythe here to do a quick review :)

I liked the concept behind this work, it was so dark and twisted. However, there were quite a few issues. The layout for this does not fit as a poem, more like a short story. You actually seemed to mix both styles together and it was really awkward to read. Not only that, but for a poem, there were far too many ideas floating around in this.

I would suggest shortening it down to suite the poem style. I'll give an example/suggestion:

I am not alive;
My tiredness makes me weary
And truth be told,
I don't know if there even was a time
Where I ever felt alive.

It was him;
He ruined my sleep,
Always keeping his liquor at arms length.



This is just a small extract from the work that I decided to change. I hope this gives you an idea on what is expected! Good work.

Keep writing!
- ScytheMeister




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1521
Reviews: 28

Donate
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm
Lily708 wrote a review...



Hey,Davwilson!!Lily here for a review. Hopped in after readiing your post on Writer's Ed.
At first I have to say this is such a touching piece,to be more precise 'heartwrenching' poem!!
I could feel the pain in every word so clearly written. The part where you described 'bout hands was amazing.,..(sad though).
There's not much to say 'bout the words or your descriptions.But I'd surely wan to convey a point. I personally think the sentences should have been short,since it's a poem....or you could use the same sentences but break them into parts and arrange them into a format...because format is essential to attract readers.

"My tiredness causes me to feel weary, a sense of not being alive. I don't remember if there was ever a time where I did feel alive, and if there was a time, what it was like"

I think using the word 'exhaustion' instead of tiredness could create a stronger impact of feeling dead within.Anyways...thats upto you.
Imma break these long sentences into a para...it could go something like this...

My exhaustion causes me to feel weary,
A sense of not being alive.
I don't remember if there was ever a time I did feel alive,
And if there was a time,what was it like.

But I know doing that would just make the poem very lengthy. But I think that would be better than writing in paras you know.

"To the point where i scarred my skin
Faintly
But still scarred.
To the point where I hospitalized myself
Not fatal
But still hospitalized."

I love this part,....I don really know why but I seriously did like the way it was written. And hey I think you can use the word 'trivial' instead of 'not fatal' since 'faintly' used in the before line is just one word...so if you'd want you can make this into a single word like 'trivial' or you could use something better.Again that's upto you....you could stick with this too....it's good afterall.

"Pain is NOT beautiful."
The capitalized NOT gives a sense of stressing on the fact that pain isn't beautiful. Good Job there...:)

"They could both feel it, two young inspired minds filling an empty room with their potential. It was exhilarating, powerful, something beautiful, something beyond the washed out life they were living. For the first time, they saw the world with a profound perspective and their eyes shone so bright that for the first time, the world finally saw them."
Umm..I didn't get this part. Who were the two young inspired minds mentioned here?

Rest all is amazing! Great Job!! I really love the way to vent out feelings. It makes the readers live in it for a while.

Keep Posting!! Would love to have more of your talent.Hope my review was of help.

-Lily^_^




Davwilson says...


Thank you so much, I really appreciate this and you gave me some very good feedback! :)



Lily708 says...


Your welcome bud!:)



Lily708 says...


Your welcome bud!:)




Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill