The Green Box

by Panikos

He looked at his dead body for a long time. It wasn’t true what they said, about how you wouldn’t recognise yourself if you saw your face from another perspective. It was definitely him. That was sort of the problem.

Him. Himself. His body. His cheek against the pavement, his blood lining the chapped grooves of his lips. His head smashed like a duck egg against the concrete. He thought it should’ve been shocking. Sickening, probably. But it was only like looking at a duck egg.

The driver hadn’t stopped. Pedestrians were clustering, though, their shouts and squabbling as formless in his ears as smoke whorls. Tears gleamed on a few cheeks, which he was vaguely pleased about. It was good to get attention. Look at the crowds you’ve drawn, he thought.

“Jude Thornton.”

He turned, for the sound chimed clear amid the muted shouts and footfalls. It was a nondescript voice, neither male nor female, old nor young. The colour of water. It belonged to a…person. His eyes grappled for further details – hair colour, clothes, gender – but they slipped from his mind like lost soap in a bath. The person inclined their head at him.

“Time to leave. Come with me, please.”

“Who are you?” Jude said.

“You wouldn’t remember it,” they said. “Walk with me.”

Jude fell into step with them. The ground always seemed an inch or so lower than he expected, every step resistant and cushioned. One of the pedestrians bumped into him, her elbow knocking into his stomach, but the pain was dull. She shoved past without looking at him.

“I’m dead?” Jude said.

“You’re dead,” the person said.

“Like a ghost?”

“You can call it that.”

Jude shook his head a little, like he was throwing a cobweb off. “Are you Death?”

“You can call me that, too.”

They walked in silence down the high street. Where light fanned from the lampposts, the paving slabs glistened with recent rain. The smell of wet air lingered like mist, lanced occasionally by a dash of exhaust fumes or new tarmac. He’d been going to the shops. He’d stepped into the road, his eyes on the glare of the Spar sign, and metal had crushed into him.

“My cat,” Jude said. “I was going to…I was getting food for her. I didn’t…there’s no food. No one comes round. You’ll feed her for me, won’t you?”

The person looked at him. “Would you talk to me about your life, Jude?”

He looked bemused, like someone had clapped their hands in front of his eyes. “My cat. You have to feed her. If you don’t, she’ll…”

“Please, Jude, I want to hear about your life. Where did you grow up?”

He blinked, rubbing his forehead. “Worcester. It was…the house was small.”

“How many people in your family?”

“Why you even asking?”

“It passes the time. How many?”

“Three. No, there was four, when the baby came…”

They drifted on and on down the boulevard, brushing shoulders with occasional pedestrians. At first, Jude turned with each skim of contact, his eyes searching their faces for any sign of recognition; a frown, flickering pupils, anything. By the time the shopping centre was in sight, his eyes lingered on the middle distance.

“Do you see your family now?” the person was asking.

“Not for years. Two years. There was this…my dad kept money in the wall, in the safe in the wall, and I…there was a Christmas card I sent last time, but nothing back, and I sent two ‘cause…I couldn’t…there’s just me at home, and…”

His face firmed up a little, his jaw jutting. “There’s my cat. You’ll…you’re going to feed her, aren’t you?”

“I don’t interfere with the living,” the person said lightly. “Carry on with your story, Jude.”

But it was a struggle for him now, his mouth moving shapelessly around words, his face sliding out of focus. He screwed his eyes shut and planted his shaky legs, stopping dead.

“How long are we walking for?” he said.

“Just as long as it takes,” the person said. “You’re nearly there. Can you tell me any more about the Christmas cards?”

Jude shook his head, knuckling his eyes, and little motes of colour drifted like disturbed dust from his face. The person nodded to themselves, tugging him to the side of the pavement, to a spot where the moonlight turned everything silver, lighting every charcoal dash of his faded hair.

“I’ve quite forgotten your name, you know,” the person said. “Can you tell me what it is?”

Jude bit his lip. A tear slipped from one eye, fading to nothing before it crossed his cheek. There was an art to it, reaping the soul at just the right moment – waiting for the memories to shed like dead skin, leaving the soul light and unanchored, ready to be passed along to the next life. The person took Jude’s face in both hands, his skin as fragile as paper under their fingers, and smiled at him.

“Time to go,” they said, and stroked his thumb between Jude’s brows.

But light flickered into Jude’s eyes as they took their hand away.

“The green food,” he whispered. “She likes that.”

The person’s chest wrenched. They reached out, tried to grab hold of him-

All that was left of Jude Thornton slipped like flour between their fingertips, leaving the faintest stirring of air in its wake. They stood, fingers moulded around the ghost of an arm, a shoulder. Their hands dropped.

“Didn’t catch him?” a colourless voice said.

The person turned. The speaker stood a few meters behind them, picking at a damp poster stuck to one of the lampposts.

“No,” the person said.

“Can’t get them all,” the speaker said. “Push him too soon?”

The person nodded.

“All been there. What was anchoring him?”

The person rubbed his mouth. “His pet, I think.”

The speaker made a noise at the back of his throat. “Can’t say I’ve heard that one before,” they said, dusting their gummy fingers on their coat. “You coming back, then?”

It was raining again, grey needles sifting in and out of the lamppost beams, twisting this way and that with every gust of night air. The person looked back down the high street.

“No,” they said finally. “Something to do.”

The speaker shrugged. They vanished like snuffed candlelight, rain lashing the ground where they’d stood.

It took ten minutes to walk back the way the person had come. Rain sank into their clothes, making every step heavier, more hesitant. Their shadow stretched and shrank as car headlights swung past them. Further along, blue light span and revolved, zipping over the bricks, glazing the apartment windows, pooling azure in the folds of the body bag. The person crossed the street, weaving through the dwindling crowds.

After the darkness, the store was stinging light and bright colours. The cashier’s gaze lifted at the hiss of the door, then dripped back to their magazine.

The person’s footsteps clicked on the lino. Row after row, shelf after shelf. Biscuits. Bread. Pet food.

They lingered, shifting their weight from foot to foot. Rule number one: don’t interfere with the living.

Their hand closed around the green box anyway.  

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 am
ElvenJedi says...

Oh my wow you are an amazing writer I don't understand how this was even possibly achievable I LOVE THIS AHHHH

Panikos says...

Haha thank you!

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 pm
ThemagicalEbonyFox wrote a review...

Hello there! Time for a review:
I thought this story was an intriguing concept, combining classic mythical characters with modern humour. I found it difficult to grasp Jude's character, mainly because it was a short story, but I could tell he was curious and compassionate. He also seems quite calm and collected as he wasn't phased by his own death. The "Death" in the story was the most interesting character however, and it might be interesting to return to him/her in future stories.
If you wanted to expand or improve this story, it would be interesting to expand on Jude's life and his relationship with his cat. Having Jude reflect on his life and his relationship with the cat would allow the reader to feel more sympathy now that they were separated. It seemed that from Jude's perspective, although he was the one who died it seemed like he suffered a great loss. It was touching to see that Jude's final request was fulfilled, but I would have liked to see interaction between "Death" and the cat. These are just personal preferences though, and wouldn't change the fact that the story was a great read.

I hope to read more of your work in the future. Thanks a lot.

Panikos says...

Thank you :)

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:47 pm
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hello there!

I don't believe that I have every read anything by you, aside from your very good reviews. That was partly what drew me in.

Your writing is excellent, unassuming, and yet still takes the upper hand. This is a well-written story. The story arc is nearly perfect: at the beginning, we get a little glimpse into Jude before he's partnered up with the reaper, who is neither trustworthy nor suspicious, and then we have defiance from both parties. Everything works really well, like a nicely oiled machine.

Where I feel you hit the nail on the head with delivery, I think you fall short with the story itself. I feel like this is a story I've heard before and a story I've heard more than once before. One example that really sticks out is an episode from the television series Supernatural. There are actually quite a few episodes in which a reaper is a character and other characters in the TV show interact with him. While you may or may not have been influenced by the show, the concept of a person escaping death is not new. By no means am I saying that you need to overhaul your story because the idea is unoriginal - by this point in time, I think most ideas are relatively unoriginal. However, I do encourage you to put your own spin on it. Make it more personal. One way in which I think you can achieve that is by taking a little more time to explore both of your characters, Jude and the reaper. (At the very least, let's spend more time on Jude.) What makes these characters deserving of rewriting an age-old story?

Perhaps its the unoriginality of the story that keeps tripping me up, but I still feel like there is something lacking from this. It might be just that it's a little too predictable, a little too perfect. From the very beginning, I had a hunch that the story would end the way it did.

Overall, this is well-written, and I have a strong desire to read more of your writing in the future. I encourage you to step beyond your comfort zone and create something that really pushing the boundaries of creativity, because I think that you and your talent are very capable of delivering something like that rather successfully.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Lavvie

Panikos says...

Thank you for the review! But if I may ask, I'm a little confused as to why you thought Jude escaped death. The reaper wasn't there to kill him; they were there to capture his soul when the memories left it and send it on to be reincarnated. They tried to send it before the memories had fully faded, which meant it couldn't move on and just disintegrated. I can understand if that didn't come across because I never explained it outright, but the story is in no way about escaping death.

Lavvie says...

That's my mistake! I think I meant escaping death more in the sense of escaping the reaper. My review still stands :)

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Dark Pandemonium. I don't think I've ever read any of your stories that have come through here before. This one left an impression on me so I guess it's time for a review.

The overall concept of this story is something that I would refer to using an umbrella term, something along the lines of interesting. That's kind of a plain way to think about a storyline but as far as sorting it down to three main categories it works. You've got a grim reaper and a dead crazy cat guy. Where will the night go? The twist on the end is almost moving. Yeah moving is the right word for the emotional effect there. And while this ending ties off most of the strings, I still want to know what happens next.

The story fills out the prophecy of the title, which is a very nice touch by the way. I really like when people manage to do that in short stories, narrow down a specific bit of storyline that tells alll, and fit it into the title. Also good job on the description being plain enough to not give too much away but still convince a reader to come in.

The cat thing starts out almost comedic but as is slopes further towards the end, even I lose most of the humor in it. It gets to the point where its dragging the reader along through the scenes, forcing them to see the last bit of the adventure. The other reaper showing up sheds some light (pun intended) and I guess makes this reaper know he has to take care of the cat. It's almost heartwarming if it hadn't been for the guy laying dead on the sidewalk and his soul destroyed.

I haven't quoted anything specific because I'm on mobile and it doesn't like to copy/paste.
(i also don't feel like typing out the bb code)
One thing that I think you should know is that at the very beginning, the name says June instead of Jude. So at first I was like, "a guy named June, well let's see where this goes." Just thought that you should know about that.

Overall I liked the story. The amount of description going on for scenery and characters was good, especially considering that they're reapers and a ghost. If I were to recommend one thing, it's to take more time eliminating Jude's memories so that the plot doesn't feel as rushed. Since that's the second main thing going on, it determines how quickly you read through the story. I went through way too quick so just think shot slowing it down some.

Alright well I wish you the best of luck with your stories and with the second review on this piece.
~Lizz

Panikos says...

Thank you. I completely see where you're coming from with adding in more about Jude's memories. I wrote this in one go late last night, which might explain why it's rushed. I'll take all your points on board. :)

Panikos says...

You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae