The Everyday Life of a Shapeshifter

by Panikos

I basically wrote this on a whim and had a lot of fun with it. It's for a book that I have planned, but I'm not sure whether I would actually include this as a prologue or just abandon it (because prologues are often unnecessary) and go straight into the first chapter. Nonetheless, feedback would be appreciated!

________________________________________________________________________________

Lydia was seven years old when she managed to turn into a red setter for the first time.

She couldn’t have explained precisely how she managed to do it. It was much like moving an arm or flexing the fingers – there was no specific technique; it just happened. Lydia didn’t think too much of it. She thought that there must, doubtlessly, be many other shapeshifting children all over the place, so she busied herself with squeezing through a gap in the fence that her human body was too gangly to fit through.

In actual fact, there were only two other people in the town who could transform into dogs and they only ever did so on certain occasions – as a party trick, for example, or to reach the pens that had fallen under the desk. They never spent long in dog-form, disliking the discoloured vision and disarming sensation of having twenty times more scent receptors than usual. For them, their shapeshifting abilities were little more than an interesting bit of personal trivia. Something to put on the CV.

Lydia, however, was very pleased to be a dog. She’d recently decided that humans were a bit rubbish and started pestering her mother to let her become something else, eliciting typical responses like ‘not until you’re fourteen’ and ‘I’m not made of money, you know’. She had always thought that, given the choice, she would like to be a komodo dragon or a crocodile – something with lots of teeth – but she was happy enough to be a red setter, even if they only had ten more teeth than the average human.

The bottom of her garden, what with its weedy flowers and dry, crunching grass, was a lot more interesting from a dog’s perspective. When Lydia transformed, the world transformed with her, into a slate blur mapped out with columns of specific, layered scents, and to smell them was much like flicking quickly through the pages of a book. Wood smoke was an old, heavy tome, yellowed with age, and washing-up liquid a stiff, modern novel with glossy pages, and ice-cream, her favourite scent of all, a squat, cardboard picture book for little children.

Lydia tried explaining this once or twice to her father, but he wasn’t that interested.

“A dog? You couldn’t have learnt to transform into something interesting?” he said, scouring the bookshelves. “I spent some time as an anteater during my gap year. You should turn into one of those instead. They’re much better than dogs.”

“Don’t be silly, Daddy. Anteaters aren’t at all interesting. They don’t have any teeth.”

Instead of replying, he yanked a novel out from the shelf, opened it at the third page, pressed a hand flat against the text – and disappeared. Lydia sighed, crouching down next to where the book had landed on the carpet. It was a classic, thick and old, yellowed-paged like the scent she had been describing, with scrawny print like ant footprints. He wouldn’t be back for hours.

So Lydia did what she always did when her parents weren’t home, and visited the stray dogs.

It had taken her a long time to find her place within their pack. She’d first tried to win their trust by talking to them, but that had been useless. Ignorant to the nuances of their language, she merely barked phrases such as ‘flour with old tongues’ and ‘chicken beds on ice’ into their faces, and they barked back incomprehensible insults in turn. (You cat-licker! You Elizabethan collar!) Then she attempted to captivate them with a succession of dog tricks that sent humans into raptures, capering back and forth on her hind legs and throwing her front paws to the side in a vaguely Thriller-esque manner. They remained unimpressed.

So she guided them to a butcher’s, transformed into a human, and let them in through the back door. They liked her very much after that.

And then? Well, then she started getting into all sorts of trouble.     

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm
DragonNoir wrote a review...

Hello! Dragon here for a review!

Nitpicks... Welp, I haven't got much to put for that lol.

"You Elizabethan collar!"
I fail to see how that's an insult, but that's just me. Besides, I doubt stray dogs would be able to use a 'sophisticated' word like Elizabethan.

General Comments:

I think this is quite interesting, but at the same time a bit dull. It seems more like a detailed blurb, but the idea itself is quite interesting. It'd be interesting where you go with it. It's quite interesting for you to go for a child as a main character rather than a teen, which is very original (compared to myself where, quite literally, all my characters are either 20+ or teens). I wonder what made you pick the red setter specifically and whether Lydia was a puppy or an adult dog. I must say though, her father is being quite mean to his daughter. He's so casual about the shapeshifting ability and it's kind of hard to tell whether he actually shapeshifted into an anteater. And if he did, why is Lydia able to turn into a dog? Shouldn't she also be an anteater? Or something else related to that? Unless her mother can shapeshift as well, which I didn't really notice in here.

Overall, an interesting idea, but the way it was presented made it quite dull.
I hope my review helped! :D

DragonNoir says...

Also, I haven't forgotten about Treslam! I will review at some point this week if I'm not busy! :)

Panikos says...

Thank you for the review! Though it probably isn't that likely I'll go back to this after so long (and it was only ever an experimental thing anyway). Also, just to clarify, an Elizabethan collar is one of those big cones that they put on animals after an operation, so that's why it's considered an insult in the dog world.
Glad to hear you'll be reviewing Treslam! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:21 am
comrie wrote a review...

Hey DarkPandemonium, I'm here to review your story!

I think this is a pretty good start to your story. I really like your writing style. There are some lines that are just so pretty, lines I loved reading. Also, I love that this story's about shapeshifting/shapeshifters. I don't talk about them a lot as much as I would with other mytho creatures but I think they're awesome.

So Lydia's a shapeshifter, and from what I've read, so are her family members. I wonder if this is something everyone can do. And does shapeshifting cost money? I'm kinda referring to when Lydia's mom is saying she's not made of money. I wonder why it'd cost money? I'm basically just curious about the kind of world Lydia is living in. Some fantasy/possibly modern world perhaps? I was curious about this specific aspect while I was reading, but I'm pretty sure it'll be answered in the chapters to come.

Her dad's pretty insistent on this anteater thing, huh? I think it's cool Lydia's going for her own thing and transforming into something that interests her. She doesn't let herself be pressured into something she's not into. I like it.

Something that stuck out to me, and it's something that kind of pertains to the kind of world Lydia's living in but it's:

“I spent some time as an anteater during my gap year. You should turn into one of those instead. They’re much better than dogs.”

I put it in bold. So Dad's talking about his gap year and all of a sudden, I'm confused. Gap year? Is this something that's related to school? Is Lydia learning how to shapeshift for some class? Is it something that's just for their family or their community? I'm just curious what this gap year means. And just why they're doing it, if there's any other reason for them doing it I mean. Let me know if this doesn't make sense, and I'll try to further clarify.

I love this line:

When Lydia transformed, the world transformed with her, into a slate blur mapped out with columns of specific, layered scents, and to smell them was much like flicking quickly through the pages of a book.

It painted such a pretty picture for me. I feel like I was transforming along with Lydia, and I love feeling connected when I read. EEeeeeeeeeeee.

And I'm done. I thought this was pretty good. I see you say that you don't know if it should be a prologue or a first chapter -- I think it can be a part of a first chapter, like have all this and then maybe a page break, and then have the story written as the present? I just had the idea that this was a part of Lydia's past and that you'd continue with her older. If that's not what you planned, then I think this would be okay. But it's up to you honestly. Just keep writing and see where it takes you. But I like this as it is. I think you did a good job.

Keep writing! -comrie:)

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:38 am
Winter257 wrote a review...

Hello there! Gonna leave you a review quick.

Overall, I think your story has a ton of poetential. This chapter is a wonderful start to your story. I love the idea of shapeshifters, though I think it would benefit to eventually cover your lore/mythology behind it. It is also easy to over-use ideas, but so far you haven't done this. The part where the narrator guides the dogs to the butcher was a bit vague, and I think it would have made the story slightly more intriguing to detail areas such as that. But, I didn't really find any major issues with this story. I think you've done a wonderful job, and I can't wait to read more of this story! :D

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye