Not Suitable For Children Under 12 Years

by Panikos

I don't write poetry often - it's not my forte. But I quite like this.  

-

I never believed that time could heal

until it came to me as a child

and prescribed me with adolescence

I’d heard that it was good for me,

a sugar-coated taste of things to come

It would cure those nasty delusions, teach me that

there was no monster under my bed

and that the creatures in the dark

were not real

-

But

time did not tell me of the side effects

‘weakness and exhaustion’

‘headaches’

‘collapse’

It did not say it would show me

that real monsters hid in human flesh

instead of wardrobes

and that the world is scarier

when you can see it

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:29 am
Wolfi says...

Read this backwards. It almost works!

Great poem!!! :)

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:52 am
ITSLEWIS wrote a review...

Hi, I really enjoyed this poem. You've captured the theme of adolescence and the subsequent feeling of disillusionment. Even without knowing the context of the poem, I am able to determine that it is about adolescence because of the excellent way you conveyed the tone.
I admire the amount of maturity within the poem and it seems very meaningful.
You've evaluated how childhood irrationality do not compare to the challenges of the adult world. I would be interested to know, personally what inspired to write this text.
I wouldn't say you poem is utterly structured but that's why I like it. It's free verse and confessional. Its very unique.
Thankyou, I enjoyed reading this.

fantasydragon01 says...

Hey!
I liked the theme of the poem. I presume that it's about growing up and reaching maturity, am I right? For at the beginning it talks about childhood, and then later on it talks about growing up. That's how I see it. I really enjoyed it, though.

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here to review! :D

First, the suggestions;

and prescribed me with adolescence
I’d heard that it was good for me,

A punctuation after "adolescence". You might think punctuations, commas, semicolons, and hyphens can be disregarded when it comes to poetry, but they're useful to separate necessary lines so that the line of thought is smoother.

It should be that the reason you start some lines with capital letters is because the previous line needs to end with punctuation, but due to lack of it at the first place, no one knows that, and wonders why you capitalized some words.

Okay, so instead of using "cure", use "erase". To cure means you want to fix or heal something. Delusions have negative connotation to it and similar to diseases, they need to be erased or destroyed. You can't cure them to be something better because then they're not what they are anymore.

But

I wouldn't mind it if you use this word to start a line within stanzas, but using it to start a stanza makes the stanza disjointed in the sense that the "but" means it's a part of the previous stanza, and therefore should better combined. "However" sounds more suitable.

weakness and exhaustion’
‘headaches’
‘collapse’

What's the point of using parentheses for them? They take the focus to themselves and not the words, and are actually unnecessary. Using a semicolon for the previous line and using commas for these words would tell us that they're examples, simple as that.

On to the actual meaning of poem;

The idea is conveyed nicely. There's a sense of flow and order in the poem which makes the reading easier, and the use of simple words rather than using fancy ones make understanding also easier. I think the message intended is common but given freshness with its dark undertone.

Overall, this is an enjoyable read and impressive for someone who doesn't have poem as her forte. You only need to improve the technical parts of it so that readers can enjoy it fully. Keep up the good job! :D

Panikos says...

Thanks, I agree with all your points. The reason I put the terms in quotation marks is because this was a found poem - I wrote it by taking extracts from a sheet within a paracetamol packet. But I take your points. :)

racket wrote a review...

Hello! racket here to review your poem!
Well, I would like to say that, first of all, this is a really, really good poem. I can totally relate to everything you've said in it, which is a main goal in writing poetry. So good job! I really enjoyed it!
My first suggestion would probably be the issue of punctuation. You've got a bit in here, but I feel like a few periods may be beneficial in some spots. Finishing and starting new thoughts and all that. After 'adolescence' in the first stanza. The 'It' in the sixth line is just begging to be the beginning of a sentence, but I think that would make your poem a bit too choppy, so I would suggest just taking it out and going straight to 'would', with a comma after the 'come' at the end of the previous line. And of course, a period at the end of the first stanza would also be a nice addition. In the second stanza also I think you could use two different periods. One after 'collapse' maybe, and then one at the end? A comma after 'wardrobes'? I think that would fix your lack of punctuation here.
Can I just tell you that I appreciate your usage of 'But' at the beginning of the second stanza? Normally that doesn't work real well in poetry, but you did fantastically with it and I admire that, even if it's a weird thing to admire, but hey! You're a writer! I'm a writer! I can geek out over your writing if I want to...
I feel like your poem deserves at least one or two more stanzas, 'cause you've got this 'childhood' stanza, and then this 'teenage' stanza, so I feel like we need an adult part? Or maybe not (I don't think either of us are adults, which makes it harder to write from that point of view), maybe you just need to split these stanzas into four based off the periods I pointed out earlier? Because you really have four main thoughts categorized into two, and I feel like your poem would work better if you split the poem into stanzas according to those thoughts. Soooo.... a stanza from 'I' to 'adolescence', one from 'I'd' to 'real', another from 'But' to 'collapse' and a final one from 'It' to 'it'.
Good job! I really enjoyed reading and reviewing this, and you did a magnificent job, especially for not writing poetry too often. Keep it up!
~racket

Panikos says...

Thanks! That really helpful!

racket says...

You're welcome!

SlowTime wrote a review...

Hey SlowTime here to review. Also I want to give you give some tips.

I liked this poem, but there where just a few things i want to touch base on.

One is your punctuation. There are a few times in this that the way you have worded it would make more sense if you added a , . So go through your story and fix up some of the wording, or add some punctuation.

They way you presented the story pulled me in but some of the way you arranged it confused me. That may just be me though XD.

Keep writing, your doing grate.

SlowTime.

Panikos says...

I'm not great at punctuating poetry because I'm not very familiar with it, so it probably is me. I'll work on it. :)

EfflorescentSmile wrote a review...

Woah, that really was impressive, even if it was on the dark side. Puberty and the like can be a daunting time, I sure as hell thought it was for me. You definitely portrayed the darker side to it, than most people do. Your diction really was powerful, and despite moments where you only used shorter phrases, there still was flow. I didn't see any grammatical errors and despite the fact that poetry wasn't your forte, you did a remarkable job. Maybe you should look further into it, I see yourself doing a lot with poetry with the way you describe feelings. Remarkable job! c:

anniegirl123 wrote a review...

Wow, I really liked that, you did an amazing job! I felt like this was a really good portrayal of how people will change from being a little kid into a young adult.
I also really liked how you put the view on monsters in there, how as a kid people think monsters hide under their bed or in their closet but when they begin to grow up they realize monsters are actually people.
Over all I found this to be a very cool poem and I enjoyed reading it, keep up the great work! :)

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex