Poppy- Just a tiny verse of it

by DaniDDelli

the one shoulder i felt i could cry on
the one hug i could rely on
when my father was not around
when my world was pushed on the ground
All i knew was you
And that was all new
denying the truth was always easier with poppy
But turning around facing it was all me
as I get older you stay the same
never holding my hand again
now I'm really alone
where did my faith go

Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:04 am

According to Google, Poppy can be defined as two meanings:
(1) Noun - A herbaceous plant with showy flowers, milky sap, and rounded seed capsules. Many poppies contain alkaloids and are a source of drugs such as morphine and codeine.
(2) Adjective - (of popular music) tuneful and immediately appealing.
But I am assuming that the seventh line mentioning "poppy" is referencing back to the "you" in the fifth line; thus, the poppy you had in mind for this is a person. Yet, these lyrics are tuneful/appealing. As I read this verse out loud, my mind is venturing toward the genres of religion country song, heartbreak and loss, and a motif/phrase to sum it up would be "denial of trauma/aftermath of a temporary distraction." Because "many poppies contain alkaloids and are a source of drugs such as morphine and codeine," this person you're speaking of with the name "poppy" could be seen as your drug - this person is your distraction of reality from the absence of your father to cope with the heartache, built-up/bottled-up emotions/feelings you have towards him (your father).
Line 1 (the one shoulder i felt i could cry on): It may be lowercased for a reason because of the utter lack of strength you may hold within your mentality/mindset and physically due to how reliant you are of the drug of your person. Crying on somebody's shoulder might be a sign that you trust them - that trust toward them begins as a happy/lighthearted want. That person is trustworthy and the connection/bond with them allows you to believe that it's okay to be closer with them.
Line 2 (the one hug i could rely on): There are so many interpretations of how you could hug someone. But the overall message of this verse tells me that touch and physicality of a person is important, so that built trust morphs into something that you grasp for comfort; maybe it turns toxic later on or something like that.
Line 3 (when my father was not around): Maybe this is a forbidden friendship/relationship with an actual person or a person that represents a particular drug. Maybe absence grows into mistrust with a father and accumulating secrets becomes a past time. Perhaps the father is still around in your life, but rarely, so that neglect of attention and affection turns to negative emotions/feelings that a certain person has gotten themselves into who is ironically/specifically named Poppy.
Line 4 (when my world was pushed on the ground): Maybe you don't know how to properly deal with emotions or you didn't want to healthily handle your feelings, so you accidentally force someone named Poppy to be there for you constantly/consistently throughout the whirlwind of your already spiraling life or a series of unfortunate events.
Line 5 (All i knew was you): When someone is dealing with something in a negative manner, they tend to have a narrow-mind on an unhealthy coping mechanism and it's super difficult to let go of - especially when cruddy things are happening to them that are out of their control. So maybe this "you" you're referring to is drugs and this person you're thinking of is simply a hallucination as a side effect of those said drugs.
Line 6 (And that was all new): I don't know how to put my understanding of this line into comprehensible words because it just clicks in my mind - I don't know.
Line 7 (denying the truth was always easier with poppy): Escaping reality is better with drugs temporarily and blocking the trauma from your mind/brain/head with drugs is more appealing than to deal and heal with it in a healthy way. Maybe this poppy person didn't force you to speak about your issues or confront/face them; perhaps this person was wanting to get away from it all as well, so you guys connected through that which allowed you two to spiral together in/with drugs.
Line 8 (But turning around facing it was all me): No matter how long you want to be in your own little world, at some point and time, something or someone will slap you back into reality or remind you that relying on drugs or a person who relies on drugs too won't work in the long run. Contemplation and reflection upon the consequences of your own actions is maybe inevitable.
Line 9 (as I get older you stay the same): Maybe you mature and grow up but you don't want to let go of this person of poppy or what poppy represents, yet you realize that the drugs are still drugs and/or that Poppy is still deteriorating and chooses to spiral while you may want to develop and become actually better and face the music.
Line 10 (never holding my hand again): Maybe Poppy got worse while you improved.
Line 11 (now I'm really alone): There's nobody truly there for you and it was all an illusion.
Line 12 (where did my faith go): You realize that you have lost yourself to someone and/or something so deeply that you regret and reminisce as if you have just come out of a coma.

Hey, Dani! Love your avatar, by the way. ;)

I wish I could see the whole song. :( Right now, I'm unable to fit this puzzle piece into the entire picture since I don't know what it's supposed to look like. It's certainly along the lines of losing someone close, someone the speaker relied on. But that's all I've got.

And so, since I only have a verse, this review is going to be rather quick and... remotely helpful, but hopefully, helpful nonetheless. xD

I feel like that, as a "tiny verse," this has a lot of information jam-packed into a few lines. There's definitely a story behind these words, and that's awesome! This is an incredibly good thing. However, I (as the reader) am not getting the full impact of what this story is trying to say.

Wow, this is hard. xD Let's try going section by section, ja?

the one shoulder i felt i could cry on
the one hug i could rely on
when my father was not around
when my world was pushed on the ground

I like the opening lines! It's the fourth line here that seems to contradict the third. The dad's gone, so how would they know he was pushed on the ground? And why does getting pushed on the ground have more significance than when the father's not around? I think a father's absence is much more depressing...

But turning around facing it was all me
as I get older you stay the same
never holding my hand again

I don't know who poppy is? >< I imagined it was dad, but why would they deny the truth of something they apparently love and miss so much? Part of the story that we're not getting, so maybe it's explained elsewhere? Line two reads weirdly, so a rewrite might help that out. Lines three and four seem to contradict together. Line three says they stay the same (which implies they'd still be there), and line four implies that he did change since he's not there anymore. XD *flail*

Thus, I don't know who actually changed. Confusion!

So yeah, I wish I had the entire song to read this with. I'd get a better idea what it's trying to say. Is there any specific part of it you need assistance with? Hopefully, I gave you some idea or helpful opinion. xD

Jabber, the One and Only!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 pm
Epicdonkalous wrote a review...

Hey there!

To start off with - I believe that the concept for this is quite nice, though I don't think you elaborated enough to thoroughly explain your meaning. That being said, this is just a small portion of the verse, but I definitely think you should post more, to make the theme apparent. Now grammar wise, I'm a bit disappointed. I believe you know that you need to capitalize, and add the proper punctuation, such as the ending line "Where did my faith go?" Overall, I think you need to write more in order for a better review!
~Epic

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla