12+

Thanataphobic Thoughts

by DamienCyfer

Those who think they know me,

Who think they understand,

To me, in my opinion

Their knowledge is quite bland.

|

They can’t comprehend,

Couldn’t if they tried,

Only those who have it

Understand it makes you blind.

|

The beauty of the world it takes,

The joy in the world it does pervert,

My memories are grey and dull

So I wish it could all revert.

I would face it if I could,

Embrace my fears as I should,

But to do so would be in itself

My greatest fear understood.

|

I fear the start of all fear,

The end of the caring light,

The start of the endless dark

The beginning of all blight.

|

It doesn’t even make sense,

Fearing what I can’t avoid,

What I can’t begin to understand

That endless incomprehensible void.

|

The end is what I fear,

The eternity, devoid of existence,

To simply cease to be as I am

Death I do fear, and I can not receive assistance.

|

|

Sorry if it doesn't flow right all the time, I wrote it when I had a breakdown and refrained from modifying it as much as I could.

EvanJW wrote a review...

I love this. The general sense of panic you capture here is spectacular. This poem brings to mind another poem by John Keats called, "When I Have Fears That I May Cease To Be." Additionally, the rhyme scheme adds a lyrical feel to the poem, which makes it all the more haunting. I also love the fact that you chose not to edit it, so as to keep the integrity of the moment and mainframe in which you wrote it. That to me says a lot about the raw emotion of the poem. This is fantastic. Keep writing.

KittyMew wrote a review...

I can sense psychological feeling in this poem. I can pretty much relate to it because I went through that kind of stage. it was difficult, at start. But I kept pushing myself and think positive. Although my anxiety disorder still lingers in me; sometimes I can control it, sometimes I don't.

Now, going back, the poem is really good. The flow doesn't really need to matter, because I will always that "writing a poem is like an open message about your feelings." Meaning, you can write anything. It doesn't need to be in a flow, as least you are writing a story in poetry form.

As I said, the poem is good. Though you could put more on "strong" words. Words that aren't too common. Words that can attract the readers. Somehow, for me, this is straightforward and simple. I read a lot of straightforward poems though they use strong metaphorical words.

May I suggest?

"Something like this:

Those who think they know me,

Who think they understand,

To me, in my opinion

Their knowledge is quite bland."

Correction:

You can delete the "in my opinion"...it doesn't need to be there.

Another:

"They can’t comprehend it,

Couldn’t if they tried,

Only those who have it

Understand it makes you blind."

Correction:

Delete the "it" in the first line and last line. And try to rephrase the second line. So it would be like this.

"They can't comprehend
Though they tried
Only those who have it
Understand will make you blind"

So that is it :)

If you want to write more poems, try to read it for yourself and demonstrate the rhythm of the poem. The flow may not be there but at least you have the rhythm. If there are words that would ruin the rhythm, rewrite it or replace the word. So its like a song. There is flow, a rhythm, and a melody.

So that is all :) Hope to read more of your poems soon!

Ashley123 wrote a review...

I really like this poem. It really portrays lots of emotion, and deep down feelings. I feel like the poem flows alright, although of course it could be better; everything could always be better. Anyway, I love the use of details, like how you used good descriptive words to show your feelings. I really think that this is the best piece of poetry that I have ever read.

blueRaven2239 wrote a review...

The joy in the world it does pervert,

With this part I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Other then that I really liked it and I think you did a great job. I like the meaning behind it, Also for you to be able to write so well in such a state of mind is absolutly amazing. I loved the last bit it was very true in my opinion. I think you did a great job I would love to see more from you in the days to come.
Good luck on future posts I wish you the best and tag meh somehow when you post something new.

~~~~signed Taylor

DamienCyfer says...

acm wrote a review...

Hi DamienCyfer, acm here for a review on your poem. Wow. That really captured the likeness of an anxiety- almost down to where I could feel your fear myself. I have sleep anxiety, so I could really connect with the panic and fear that the poem was about. I hope that it gets better for you and you can conquer your fear.

My memories are grey and dull
So I wish it could all revert.
I would face it if I could,
Embrace my fears as I should,
But to do so would be in itself
My greatest fear understood.

I think these were the best lines of the poem. The rhyming broke its pattern and the poem was at its climax. The wording was beautiful. My only suggestion (that you don't have to take if you don't want) is changing the words, "my fears" in the second line it the word, "it". I think it works a bit better with the line above:
"I would face it if I could,
Embrace it as I should."

Anyways, that was my only nitpick. The poem was perfect and beautiful. It had a great flow and rhyme. I can't wait to see more of your poetry!

--acm

DamienCyfer says...

Thank you acm! I appreciate the feedback that you gave me, it is good to see encouragement like this on my first post.

belladonna says...

This is an amazing poem. While I personally do not experience this phobia, I was afraid of death when I was younger. The flow is pretty good and the meaning is deep. I can truly feel the raw anxiety you had at the time of writing this. If you continue to write poems as stimulating as this, I'll just have to check those out as well!

DamienCyfer says...

Thank you a lot belladonna! People like me would have a line of thought occasionally similar to: "Belladonna. A poison... deadly! It could kill me if I consumed it. What if I accidently poison myself somehow one day! Death is so easy... and final. My mortality is so obvious... WHY!!!!" And then I would go read a book to distract myself. Thank you for the comment again!

Elijah wrote a review...

Hello there.
I think I do not know enough about the phobia to review this to the fullest but this poem truly made me fear of everything around me. I can not say I still know so much about it but this poem opened up my eyes for it a bit more. Even if you had written it during such a state, you had done a very good job doing it so as I see. Your smooth rhyme goes very well with the flow of this work and I have no complains connected with it.
It really makes the reader understand that even if we try to understand it, we can fully understand the real fears of it because we are in such a state as the people suffering from it at the very moment. I do not think that it stops the people from trying to understand it even if they can not but this is how we are. We try to have what we can not have and we try to understand what we are told we can not. I really did not expect the rhyme at all.
Good job and I think the breakdown did not ruin the poem at all.
Keep on writing.

DamienCyfer says...

Thank you for the review! Thanatophobia means death anxiety, practically a phobia/fear of death, which is natural, but to the extent that one can never stop thinking about it, and is prone to panic attacks, depression and anxiety caused by it. It means that no matter what one does, they always think forwards to their imminent and unstoppable mortality.

Elijah says...

Well, every single person has it deep in theirselves then, as I suppose.
We all think of death if not each day, we will think about it some other day. This is totally normal. I understand how this can turn into a phobia. Who is not afraid of the death, to be honest?

DamienCyfer says...

Yeah, but not many are afraid to the point it shadows over every action they make and can reduce them to a frustrated, anxious heap of depression. It is within us all but at least most people experience it more about midlife, but others feel this feeling from their 'carefree' childhood until their 'stressed' adult life. It is worse for children, as they have less responsibilities to take their mind of it I guess.

DamienCyfer says...

Paragraphing seems to be broken. Every four lines is a break, four-line paragraphs.
(EDIT: Managed to show paragraphs now, fixed!)

Oh, I'm sorry. My friends are in the popcorn and I have to save them.
— Tori Hansen, Power Rangers Ninja Storm