z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Back to the Beginning Chapter 3

by Daenyss


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

“Girls, your turn,” the producers told us, and we made our way onto the stage, the thirty-two of us all nervous wrecks. Most of us still hadn’t processed that this was real yet - we were the second category to go through eliminations.

“Hi girls,” Tulisa said, offering us a small smile. We returned the sentiment with small, nervous smiles and waves. “We just wanted to thank you all for coming all the way out here and sharing your talents with us. All 32 of you are so amazingly talented, but unfortunately we can only put 16 of you through to the next round.”

Liam picked up his mic and I gulped. “The first girl through to six chair challenge is...Anna Martin!” he announced. Anna started crying, hugged someone, waved to the judges, and then walked off the stage.

That happened fourteen more times, and even though I listened every time, the names started to run together. Anna Martin, Raina Baker, Sophie Tucker, Madison Brewer...the list went on. And my name wasn’t on it.

Finally, there were seventeen of us left on the stage. Seventeen nervous wrecks. Seventeen people playing with their hair or tapping their thighs because of nerves. Seventeen people that just needed to hear their name next.

Simon picked up his mic, and all of our desperate eyes were instantly on him. “This is the last spot. If your name isn’t called, then I’m sorry, but you’re going home,” he told us and we all nodded nervously. “And the last girl through to six chair challenge is...Kayla!”

The floor. Darkness. My face was wet. It sounded like someone was crying. It sounded like I was crying. Then there were arms. Someone’s arms were around me. A girl’s.

“Congratulations Kayla,” she whispered through her own tears and I nodded, getting to my feet and waving to the judges before running offstage and into the arms of Dermot O’Leary, who gave me the typical hug and the cameras got my reaction and stuff. After he released me, I made my way over to the chairs set up for the contestants who made it to anxiously await James and Taylor, who would hopefully join me.

The wait felt like forever. The groups had gone before us, and we were followed by the Over 28s. That left the boys to go last, and watching them trudge up in front of the judges made me really feel for them.

James came back first. I ran over and threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly. “Congrats dude,” I said, smiling. “You made it.”

He simply smiled and wiped his tears, hugging me back. “Grab a seat. I’m gonna wait on Taylor,” I told him, and he went over and sat down while I waited once more.

It wasn’t much longer until he appeared as well, and it was the same drill. There was a good bit of hugging and congratulating each other, and then James came over and there were tears once more as the three of us celebrated.

After the judges had finished and the camera crews had gotten all the footage they wanted, we were led by category to the different rooms where we would meet our mentors. I was hoping for Tulisa. Anyone but my brother, really. I didn’t want my brother to be my mentor. That would be weird.

We waited for a few minutes, all staring at the door, waiting for it to open. After a few seconds, the handle moved, and we all kind of collectively held our breath as we waited to find out who was going to enter.

The first thing I noticed about my mentor was the blackish grey hair. The second thing I noticed was that it was Simon Cowell, and we all broke out screaming in excitement. He smiled politely and once we were quiet he held his hand up.

“Ladies,” he said, “I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that I got you. You’re all amazingly talented and I completely believe that the winner of the X Factor is in this room.” We clapped and cheered again. “I hope you’re all ready to work hard. I want a good fight at six chair challenge!”

There was laughter at that, and then he came around and shook all of our hands before leaving.

Someone grabbed a bottle of sparkling something that I’m pretty sure wasn’t alcoholic but I honestly had no clue and popped it open. After all of our glasses were filled, I raised mine. “To making it through Bootcamp!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:52 pm
Vervain wrote a review...



Hey! I haven't read the previous chapters of the story, so I'm going to critique only what I find in this piece -- I won't have any critiques for overall plot or characterization so far, but it's only chapter 3. Let's dive in!

Overall: I don't hate it. Well, that's a lie -- I actually kind of like it. I've got some nitpicks and overall critiques but on the whole my impression of this chapter was actually pretty good.

Details & Nitpicks:

First, I like your writing style in this. I don't normally read fanfic, especially not musician fanfic, because it turns out very much like wish fulfillment. This fic definitely smells like wish fulfillment to me, but it doesn't reek of it, so it's readable. Kayla is the sister of a famous musician and she gets what she wants, but there's a little bit of tension (whether I believe it or not is a question for a later time).

But I think your writing style is what makes it bearable for me. You don't go overboard with the descriptions -- you're sparse, but it's for a reason. Thank goodness you're not sitting there describing every wrinkle on everyone's face; that drives me insane.

Also, Kayla's internal monologue isn't either how wonderful she is, or how awful she is. If she thought nothing but how wonderful she was, the reader would want her to shut up already; if she thought nothing but how terrible she was, the reader would throw the fic away in rage that this character was just a doll to attract pity. You walk a nice line, and it enhances the fic for the reader.

Second, as someone who's not familiar with the X Factor, I got a little lost by some of the narration. Obviously since Kayla is familiar with it she shouldn't be narrating everything like it's a totally new experience, but even a throwaway line here or there would illuminate things for your readers who aren't as familiar. Such as, for example, explaining what the six chair challenge is or how many people go into it. I had assumed six, but your group size went from 32 to 16, so I guess it's 16 people that go.

Admittedly, this fic is not a type I usually read (I hate musician fics) and the show is not a type I usually watch (as a musician, I can't stand music shows), so I'm at a disadvantage here.

Finally, the nitpicks.

Tulisa said, offering us a small smile. We returned the sentiment with small, nervous smiles and waves.
You use the phrase "small smile" twice in two sentences here -- I know it looks different the second time, but it really isn't. I would suggest that Tulisa not offer a "small smile" but instead maybe "a relaxed smile" or "a smile of reassurance" or something like that. That way, the girls' nervousness comes across more.

“And the last girl through to six chair challenge is...Kayla!”
Unless her stage name is just "Kayla", he should say "Kayla Payne" instead -- Kayla is a fairly common name, and it's likely that more than one person in a group of 32 will have any given name. Especially if they're all from the same area.

Keep writing!




Daenyss says...


Everything you say is completely fair, and I'd encourage you to read my response to Sacredlege below - I think it addresses many of the things I'd say here. I'll definitely keep your critiques in mind, and thanks for reviewing!



User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:12 am
View Likes
Sujana wrote a review...



Right, hey, I've been paying attention to this for some reason. A friend of mine was pleasantly surprised by your work here and sent it over to me a week ago, and I've been following it ever since--I haven't had a chance to review it, though, and say my piece. Let's fix that, shall we?

“Hi girls,” Tulisa said, offering us a small smile. We returned the sentiment with small, nervous smiles and waves.


This is a really tiny nitpick, but you have two 'small's in the same sentence, which irks me. Use another word, please. Even the word 'smaller' would work, just not the same 'small'.

Simon picked up his mic, and all of our desperate eyes were instantly on him. “This is the last spot. If your name isn’t called, then I’m sorry, but you’re going home,” he told us and we all nodded nervously. “And the last girl through to six chair challenge is...Kayla!”


Right, okay, this is something a little bigger. Anyone who's ever read anything knows that the protagonist usually won't get killed off/cast aside in the middle of the story (usually; I'm looking at you, Ken Follet, you scum-sucking gnat), so obviously Kayla was going to pass, so the suspense is basically nonexistent here. However. If you AT LEAST want to make it seem like there is suspense going on, I suggest having a pause that ISN'T an ellipsis. For example:

"And the last girl through to the six chair challenge is..."

There was a tense silence between us. Simon stared at the girl in front of him, (insert random name) his gaze piercing. He seemed to smirk. I felt my heart break through my ribcage.

Then, he looked at me. He was definitely smirking. "Kayla."


You know, something of that standard.

Someone grabbed a bottle of sparkling something that I’m pretty sure wasn’t alcoholic but I honestly had no clue and popped it open.


The phrasing here is a bit awkward. I would personally phrase it as "Someone grabbed a bottle of sparkling something that I'm pretty sure wasn't alcoholic (but I honestly had no clue) and popped it open". No, I wouldn't phrase it like that. If it were up to me, I would just cut to the chase and say "Someone grabbed a bottle of liquid I wasn't sure was alcoholic or not, popping it open" or something to that degree.

On the story side, I have a couple of gripes with the plot and it's characters. I feel like most of the characters are interchangeable and flat, and besides the main character and her brother I can't for the life of me tell the other characters apart. I would think that since this was a music competition we're talking about, music would have been a binding agent between the characters and the story, the One Thing that motivated everyone to be better--however, it feels like music is a bit of an afterthought, and as a consequence I'm not sure WHY the characters are doing what they do. Besides the potential fame and success, of course, but that's an understandably shallow concept. As far as the story goes, it follows a line of characters going through a competition and trying to win, and that's...pretty boring, without knowing their motivations in detail, I'm sorry. I think you should consider expanding on what the character wants for their futures, and have them discuss it or show it in their expressions and actions. I saw a little bit of that in the second chapter, which I will review later, but it was very scarce and I wanted more of it.

Anyway, that's my take. Hope it was useful to you, and enjoy your day.

--Elliot.




Daenyss says...


Hey, thanks for coming by! As I've said before(I have no clue if it was in response to you or not) this is an early work - written 6 months ago. I've taken time and developed as a writer, and that's(I hope) evident in my newer work, Since Infinity.

At this point in the story, though, Liam and Kayla are really the only two that matter - everyone else is just bland and there to cause drama down the road, as well as provide the occasional burst of characterization of the main character. So yes, they suck as characters right now. I know that, and I'm only slightly sorry.

Thanks again for popping by!




When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet