Hailey

by Crayon

Just a random free-write. Its lossesly based on sombody i know but other than that, yeah, here it is.

Lost in the everyday struggle to blend in, that’s where Hailey is right now. Pushing past old clothes in her wardrobe, casting aside nail polish in last season's colours. Wanting to be the norm controls her life, yet she doesn’t know it. Each day she straightens her hair, rubbing different products through it so it will stay straight, bounce, look healthy and renewed (even thought she’s practically killing it off) and for what? Just so she isn’t caught in a thunderstorm with a hair out of place. Being perfect is the goal.

Sitting at the back of the classroom, even if it means she fails English, Passing would corrupt her reputation, the one she slaves over day after day, sacrificing age-old friendships without a second thought. Her reputation is just, maybe even more important than her appearance, if she’s caught wearing red nail polish when everybody else is wearing Mango number twelve she will survive, somebody will come to school without mascara on and her tacky red nails will be forgotten, but passing English, she could never live that down. That is unless somebody did something stupid, like think about somebody else’s feelings.

Everybody’s noticed that her skirt is slipping further down her hips than current fashion allows and each lunchtime she picks over her food, counting each calorie that passes her lips. Her friends don’t care, why should they when there are more pressing issues at hand? Like what colours they should wear to the next big party. So Hailey’s skirt just keeps on slipping.

Hailey’s a bitch, she’s downright rude to everybody who is a rung lower than her on the social scale. She uses her friends to climb higher, waiting for them to intrust her with their secrets then turning them against them. Hailey’s the girl you love to hate yet secretly envy every time you pass her in the halls.

You think she has it all, sorry but you're wrong. Hailey’s just a little girl, she’s lost, she’s scared and she’s lonely. Hailey pushes past you in the halls, she calls you tacky when you wear the same colour twice in one week but all she really wants is to be just like you/ Hailey want’s to be carefree and forget about her hair for just one day.

So next time Hailey fails an exam or tells you you’re a freak think about how long it took her to get ready for school that morning or how little she’s going to eat today. Reach out and pull her back to earth because all Hailey really needs is somebody who cares enough to put up with all the bullshit and show her the reckless, chipped nails side of being a teenager.

First Impression: This was a pretty interesting piece. An interesting little character study of sorts here and I am loving it. I think you've really done a very solid job with this here. It captures a very detailed person here that seems well thought out.

Okay...this is an interesting opening here. It seems we're doing something of a small character analysis here and its certainly proving to be really interesting here if nothing else. It is an intriguing vibe here to start off on, let's see where this manages to take us.

Okay...it seems we're really getting a bit of a deep dive into this person's thoughts and almost sort of we're also getting hints at sort of where these thoughts have managed to actually originate from and what exactly they seem to be attempting to represent here. It definitely continues to make this even more interesting.

Okay...that's taken an interesting turn there. It starts almost sort of by showcasing this person is having a bit of a struggle of some sorts against peer pressure but then we're also now getting hints that this person is someone who appears to not be the best character there. That's an interesting revelation here, especially with the extra dimension of what was mentioned earlier coming into play.

And that well actually sort of sums up this story rather well there. It definitely makes for a very interesting note to end on here I think cause it really sort of showcases what exactly this story is trying to tell us readers.

Overall: Overall, this is a very solid piece here. It has a very simple goal that it appears to be setting out to accomplish and I think it does a wonderful job of accomplishing said goal rather nicely.

Crayon says...

Ha ha, i never noticed that 'for' there! *runs away and deletes the random 'for'*

Jiggity says...

Damn. Uh, that last post could be misconstrued. I left out the correction; there shouldnt be "for" in that sentence.

But it was well written.

Crayon says...

Well thanks Jiggy

Jiggity says...

sacrificing age-old friendships for without a second thought

Well written.

~Jiggy

Crayon says...

*grumbles at Jane* i knew all that, i was, simply testing you! No seriously, thanks darl!

*runs away to change everything* all done! well not yet but lets pretend ahy? And yes ma darling it is extreamly Cynacle...don''t worry i cant spell it either! It was sort of venting because this girl at school, yes anyway, *runs away to really change things*

Jennafina wrote a review...

I like this all, and you're right, it's alot different from your norm. The tone is pretty cynicle(sp?) and that makes it even better. I have a few coments though...

Pushing past old clothes in her wardrobe, casting aside nail polish in last seasons colours.

Seasons should be season's, I think, because the color belongs to the season.

That is unless somebody did something stupid, like think about somebody else’s feelings.

I think this needs more emphases. Because having tacky nails would be 'stupid', this would have to be 'really stupid' or something. I love the sarcastic tone.

You think she has it all, sorry but your wrong.

Since it's an abreviation for you are, it would be spelled you're.

Can't wait to see more of your stuff! ^.^

"Think of all the beauty still left around you, and smile."
— Anne Frank