z

Young Writers Society


16+

cough

by AvantCoffee


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

-


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



In an effort to remain in Team Tortoise I decided to check out my review drafts to see if anything could be salvaged! And look what I found! :) A review that I guess I never clicked submit on? Here you go, hope it's somewhat helpful!

----


Well this is fabulous, you need to write more poetry CoffeeCat! :)

I like how the subjects/tangents/and narrative elements sort of weaved in and out of the poem like the speaker was a bit foggy themselves - it created a neat reading experience, and the formatting mimicked that too. I almost wish the formatting was a little more "foggy"/random, or just all aligned left. Because as is, stanza 2 felt very strong with the "foggy vibes" but the first and third felt a bit like one foot was in the door, but we weren't really stepping through it one way or the other for the formatting.

Another little formatting thing that bugged me was the use of ellipses, semi-colons, and double dashes. I didn't quite get if the dashes were just there to break up the line more or if there was some symbolic purpose - but all of these elements made the poem feel a bit stilted and messy. I think it's okay to use ellipses occasionally, or semi-colons, or dashes - but to fit all of them in one short poem multiple times, just felt like we had all a lot of punctuation breaking up the flow of the piece. I'm also a big proponent of unless it is the most important line of the whole poem, never use an emphasis in formatting just once (ie. brackets, parenthesis, italics, bold) because like a single blue word in a review, it ends up standing out almost too much, and might seem random to the reader, whereas if you do it twice it lets the reader know it was for sure intentional, and gives them two opportunities to figure out a pattern or why you've used that formatting choice. So while I like the bracketed " choking a little on the burn" I think it'd be more effective repeated twice (even the same phrase would work!) I may have been missing some symbolism in them though!

Two favorite parts:

"You passed me like one passes through a doorframe,

breathing through the essence of me,

like the smoke in your lungs--"


and

"Your shirt is a green leaf spread out like a hand;

it reaches to grab at me

the more I look at it."


um wow! The line breaks are expertly done there, because each adds a new complexity/layer to the metaphor that I don't expect. It's so filled with longing, love, and mystery and yet a distance. Like the speaker can only admire from afar or through the fog.

So as far as interpretation I couldn't tell if the speaker was a lover or a good friend, or maybe even the mother of this drug using person (which might be the state of the subject, or both the speaker and subject) - but clearly someone who has mixed feelings about how the addiction is effecting their relationship which becomes a metaphor for all of the ways they're different. I sort of liked the ambiguity of the relationship and speaker.

I also liked how you carried some themes (fire, breathing, throat, otherness) from the first stanza to the last one. That offered some good continuity. Though it would have been nice to have some of those themes show up in the middle stanza too, since that one felt a bit removed. I also thought the section about the "weekend" wasn't super compelling on the first read through, because that opening line is so abstract "Each weekend is a new excuse to separate yourself." I don't quite get what they're separating out of - is it a continuation of the line from stanza one about the alien mind, or more like the leaf image? It didn't quite connect to me, and could maybe use another line to explain.

Overall, I'm super impressed with the metaphors you use, and I think it's a neat/unique story that piece together in an interesting way. I'd like to see what different formatting options might look like on this - since with the smokey theme there are certainly a lot of directions it could go.

Hope to see some more of your poetry soon Coffee!

~alliyah




Random avatar

Points: 217
Reviews: 12

Donate
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 am
megan17 wrote a review...



Hello! Megan17 here to review. I loved this poem so much! The detail in it was amazing. I really liked when you wrote, "you pass me like one passes through a doorframe,
like the smoke in your lungs:
in… then out [choking a little on the burn]
i hear you cough, but nothing more,
because you breathe ash; i breathe air."

I thought the simile was really creative and powerful, just very good. The more I read the poem, I see how it transitions from mild drugs to more severe. I could be wrong, but thats what I got out of it. Overall, really really good, and I look forward to reading more of your work :)

-Megan17




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 62

Donate
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm
CorruptedArrow wrote a review...



Hey Corrupted Arrow here with a review!
(The Comma Police is here! Anything I say here is just constructive criticism. If I offend you in any way, I apologize in advance.(I will try to be humorous.)

"you passed me like one passes through a doorframe,
like the smoke in your lungs:
in… then out [choking a little on the burn]" There shouldn't be a comma after 'door frame'.

From what I can see you don't have any more grammar and/or comma mistakes. Keep up the writing, have a good day.




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 am
View Likes
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello. Kanome with a review!

First, my personal opinion... I did not expect this to be a very detailed perspective on illegal substances. (I don't know if I am allowed to saw the actual drug name cause y'know). This really pinpoints the substance's perspective of how someone acts when they use it.

I really like the formatting of your poem, it's interesting and creative.

I do not see any grammar or punctuation errors. This poem is great! 10/10!

Keep on writing!





Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100