z

Young Writers Society



Ravenwood Academy I

by Codie


Ravenwood Academy I

"...Everyone will have chance to enter Ravenwood Academy, it is if you pass the required test then maybe you will be able to enter into our fine teaching facilities." The booming voice of an elderly man rang out from the black microphone positioned in the middle of the stadium. I could see his forehead crease with unexpected laughter; a mocking smile covered his bearded face.

"There will be only one test mind you, though this test will be the decider. All pupils will be required to go through a track in teams of seven. Each team will be given a map and a compass. Through this test students will have to use Calculas and English skills to navigate towards the finish." I frowned, my eyebrows knitting together. He wasn't telling us something. I could see it in the way his lips moved, he was holding something back.

I turned to look back at the crowd forming behind me. People of all sizes stood in the great band stand listening intently to the elderly man. I frowned my skirts tumbling around my ankles. I looked down at the white cloth wishing that I had placed on my skinny jeans instead of a hula skirt.

"What's happening?" I heard a boy say behind me. Looking back sover my shoulder I saw that he was addressing a short girl next to him.

"I think, to get into the school we have to go through a track in a group..." She began her eyes glazing over.

"I know that!" He interrupted rudely. "I want to know why everyone is lining up for this stupid school anyway?"

"Why are you here?" she demanded angrily her voice rising. I looked down at my converse shoes.

"I'm here because my grandmother can't take care of me anymore." I whispered to myself closing my eyes, my fingers reaching up towards my neck.

"I actually don't know?" He swivelled around looking up at the people around him. "I though it was a party!"

Looking back up at the old man I saw his head away from the bustling crowd. He pulled out a box brimming with metal compasses.

"This will be all the contestants tool for the next few hours!" He said loudly, interupting the chitter chatter. "We have already selected the group in which people will be travelling through." He smiled wildly, showing his yellowing teeth.

"All this for one school!" A tall girl shook her head next to me, "It better be darn great if I have to go trudging through nowhere." She tossed her copper red hair behind her shoulder, tapping her foot impatiently on the ground.

"Michaela Green, Marcus Winifred, Taylor Macintosh, Sofia Winnable, Tyler Kimble, Isa Longreach and Mina Himo!" People began to walk out at the sound of their names, collecting a map and compass as they were passed down towards them. Closing my eyes I began to hum to myself my nerves hitting at the side of my stomach.

Anxious team mates ran across the field towards the forest track, over ridden with shrubs and the smell of bird droppings. I began to fumble with my skirts my heart skipping a beat. I was one of the last people standing around the floor, my fingers tightened around the rope keeping the skirt on my waist.

"What happens if you're the last one?" I asked myself "And they kicked you out because you're too weird just like everyone say's! What happens if someone told them that you were weird, that's why you're not being chosen."

"Saffron Claris..." I looked up at the sound of my name, my heart skipping. Walking towards the podium I could see other people standing there awkwardly waiting for me. A boy with yellow blonde hair, picked up the map inspecting it.

"It's broken!" He whined loudly. I saw the boy next to him with black hair stare at it, his glasses falling down the brim of his nose.

"No." He said calmly, "You have it the wrong way round!" Pulling it from the blonde boy hands, he flipped it the right way around, staring at the figures himself.

"Hey! Now it's fixed" The Blonde boy laughed leaning against the podium.

"How come we have only six people!" A pretty girl that looked like her face had been sculpted by artists complained. Her long strawberry blonde hair bouncing slightly.

"Because" the man smiled "You students..." He stopped himself contemplating what to say. With a short smile he dipped his head, "better get going if you want to win."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 186 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
537 Reviews


Points: 60568
Reviews: 537

Donate
Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:14 pm
Evi says...



Moved to Action/Adventure Novels, since this seems like part of a larger project!




User avatar
199 Reviews


Points: 14356
Reviews: 199

Donate
Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm
Apple wrote a review...



You fixed up all the mistakes! :) I can't find any grammar mistakes and I have already done the character and structure! :lol:





“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson