The Way to Nowhere

by bellathebookworm

Enclosed is a paper that was supposedly found by a 8th grader in 2015. Said 8th grader firmly states that this paper randomly appeared in front of her while doing math homework. Analyze and send back to me.

-Morrison, FBI

April 23, 2109

To whoever this gets to:

We were on the way to nowhere when it happened. I had wanted to rent a ship and take a spin around the galaxy during my vacation, but my mom and dad had said no. I thought that at 16, I deserved to have more freedom, so I managed to sneak the keys to my parents’ ship and leave Lapone, my home planet. I thought I would be coming back soon.

I brought Lynn with me. Not just because she’s my best friend, but also because she can work a ship like a doctor with a scalpel--delicate and precise. Her dream is to someday become a pilot. She’s been training for it ever since we were thirteen.

Being the loyal friend she is, Lynn agreed, on one condition--she flew the ship. She has always wanted to go on an adventure like the ones in books.

At first, it was like a dream. We took the ship to a nearby planet, packed enough food and water for a couple weeks (mostly frozen pizzas, hummus, and chips-- Earth food is my favorite!), and took off. Lynn and I wandered the galaxy for a few days, goofing off and getting kicked out of more than a few asteroid pit stops. We loved it. The adrenaline rush of meeting strangers was addictive. There were a few tight situations, but I’m a pretty quick thinker, and if worst came to worst, we were both trained in Lapone’s unique style of martial arts.

But it all fell apart on the fifth day. After a quick hyper-gas stop, we turned back on the radio. An announcer’s voice boomed over the speaker.

"-an act of war. We cannot stand for this. The destruction of Lapone is unexpected. It could have been any of us. We must unite against Earth. If we hope to prevent the next atta-"

I reached over and turned the radio off, looking at Lynn. Her face was pale. "The destruction of… did they say?"

"Yes, I think," I swallowed to keep down the bile rising in my throat, "I think they did."

We tried to switch to a different channel and check, but discovered all of them were saying the same thing. The nets were crowded with people screaming about our planet being blown to hell.

I don’t remember much of what happened for the next few days. Lynn seemed to be overwhelmed with emotion, but I just felt numb. Lynn stayed holed up in a room; I stared out the window and read. If we hadn’t left- no. I couldn’t think about it. After three days, I came to my senses. This could never happen again. I would do anything to stop it.

I turned the radio back on for the first time in days and switched it to a music station. We had gotten the best of all the planets since The Uniting a few decades ago. A lot of smaller planets, realizing that by ourselves, they were weak, had joined together. Lapone had automatically joined because we were a colony from Earth. All of the planets involved benefited from the advanced technology, and enjoyed the benefits of a common language. Our ships had become so advanced that a trip across the galaxy only took a day, and we’ve even found ways to send inanimate objects back in time. It’s still too risky to send back living beings.

I sighed. No matter how advanced we became, it seemed like there was still a need for violence.

I decided to go to Lynn’s room and get her. She was lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling with her hands resting by her side. She turned her head towards me. “Why did it happen, Allie? I just don’t understand.”

“I don’t either.”I took her hand in mine. “But everything happens for a reason, right?” I said half-heartedly.

She pulled it away. “Come on, don’t give me that crap. I don’t know anymore, okay. I think- I think it might be my fault. If we had listened to our parents than maybe… maybe they could still be alive.”

“Lynn, I miss my parents too.” Lynn’s eyes became watery and her shoulders started to shake. “And our teachers, and Willow, and Mason… everyone.”

She was truly crying now, her statements separated by gasps and sobs. “They’re,” she burst, They’re gone, Allie.” She sat up and stared at me, tears streaming down her face. “They’re never coming back, can’t you see!”

“No,” I said. “They’re not.” I was broken too, but on the inside. On the outside I was diamond-hard and sharp as shattered glass.

She gasped once, then went silent. She didn’t wipe away her tears, shining brightly in the fluorescent light. We sat there quietly for a time, exactly how long I’m not sure.

“What do we do, then?” She said, looking me in the eye, some of her drive coming back.

“We go to Earth, and find out why they did what they did.”

“Why Earth?”

“Weren’t you listening to the radio? Earth was the one that attacked us.”

“What do we do once we know why?” I grabbed her hand and helped her up. We walked toward the cockpit. She landed in the pilot’s seat and grabbed the controls.

I flopped into the copilot’s seat. “We sabotage their best efforts to find us, and if we discover they want to do it again… We get rid of them. All of them.”

“How?” She asked, her fingers flying across the controls and pointing us towards our destination.

I grinned. “We’ll find a way.”

A few weeks later, we’re in orbit outside your planet. If you’re reading this, you have a chance to stop this before it happens. We’re not the only ones who want you dead; since the destruction of Lapone, you’ve managed to make a few other planets quite angry. You have the chance to save your planet from the consequences of your actions.

Good luck.

-Allie and Lynn

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here, as requested. ^.^

So this was an interesting story to read, and one I was not expecting. You're right about the title - that you may need to change it. Because when I looked at the title in my request thread, I thought it was going to be some sappy story about some love affair on the 23rd of April, blah blah. Or a diary entry. What I go was so, so much different from what I thought I'd see. And this story was a delight to read, and I enjoyed the topic and the message you send (the ending bit sounded a teensy amount like the end of Kane Chronicles, where they're addressing the reader - which I love. <3). The entire story is really cool, and it's almost... scary how much of a story you threw into such a short work. Really, you have a plot for a novel here. Think about it. You have mistakes, tragedy, death, suffering, science-fiction, two amazing characters - what else do you need? xD I say you should stash this wherever you keep your ideas, and pull it out when you want to write a new novel. Because this could become something far greater than a little short story. There's a lot of potential in this. Honestly. I have never been a fan of Science Fiction much (the space kind, although I do loveee Star Trek), but this story had me captivated the entire time.

Let's run over a few technical issues and other things I saw which could be improved. c:

I was angry with my parents for not letting me have enough freedom, so I borrowed my parents’ ship and left Lapone, the planet where I’m from.

Hm. Not sure what you could do about this, but it seems too much like info-dumping when you go and tell us you left Lapone because of your parents and Lapone was your home planet and etc... I think that when you do edits, you should enlarge this part and make it a bigger section of the scene. Go more into her reason for leaving. And, really, when you think about it, if her parents weren't letting her have enough freedom, she wouldn't even have access to their ship - which is why a bit more here would help. It's odd, but sometimes extrapolating on ideas and explaining things more dispel the info-dump feelings. Give this part a bit of focus.

Not just because she’s my best friend, but also, she can work a ship like a doctor with a scalpel, delicate and precise.

Good. I loved that comparison. Also, I think an Em-dash (--) would have done a better job instead of that comma after scalpel.

We had packed enough food for a couple weeks of fun, then planned to go back.

Where are the parents during all of this? Gone at Mars for the weekend? xD It seems odd that they wouldn't have noticed all of this activity around their ship.

but I’m quick thinking

Sometimes phrases we use, even though they might make perfect sense, don't fit in with the piece because of the context. When I read the part this is in, it pulled me out of the story for a moment. It seemed odd and disjointed, because I've always seen it as I'm a quick thinker. It isn't a big deal, and doesn't hurt the piece much, but keep in mind that when you use the same words, but in a different way - people can be taken out of a story.

I reached over and turned the radio off and looked at Lynn.

The two and there make this sentence a bit odd to read. Perhaps change around the last bit so it reads smoother? and turned the radio off, looking at Lynn. To me, that flows better and sound more natural.

She dropped to her knees. "No. Oh God, please no."

This part needs a bit more attention. It all seems too... sudden, and they're just accepting it straight away. Oh, my planet has been destroyed. They just hear it once on the radio and accept it as the immediate truth? No, no, no - let them be skeptical about it. It's not like the weather man just stated it's going to rain on Thursday. Their entire planet - blown to hell. I know if I was in space and some radio guy told me that Earth had been destroyed, I would have to repeat it about ten times before I believed and understood. I would probably stare blankly at the radio for hours, still not believing. Also, since they're only like a day away from their planet, why didn't they just go back to make sure it had truly been destroyed? It seems odd that they heard this news once and accepted it for the truth without verification. Just something to think about for your edits. c:

I paid a lot of money to send this back to you.

In the letter to the reader, this just didn't seem to fit. Because how does the cost of the letter to Earth have anything to do with their destruction?

There are a few things for you to think about - not much, really. This piece was super well written, especially if you are - oh gosh. You're thirteen and you're writing like this? O_o That's amazing. Seriously, this piece kept me riveted to the page, and I hung onto every word. In the end, it's the plot which makes this work so amazing. Your style is nice, your characters are lovely, but the plot just tops all of that. Make this into a book. That's an order. I'd read it. c:
~Darth Timmyjake

ClippedWings says...

Thanks for reviewing and for the compliments! I wasn't thinking about it before, but a lot of people have requested that I turn the story into a novel so I might just try it. I still need to come up with a better title. (Titles are my least favorite part of writing!)

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 pm
AMDDOG wrote a review...

Amazing! Astonishing! Astounding! I could go on and on and on!!!! I don't usually like Sci-Fi but that was amazing!!!!! I loved it so much! The title could use a little work however. I don't really know what to use to replace it but I'm sure it could be a little cooler. I couldn't find and grammerly mistakes so that's good! Please please please, keep on writing!!!! I want to know what happens to them now!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

ClippedWings says...

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18 pm
Mea wrote a review...

Wow! This was a really interesting and unique idea. I think it could have the potential to be a novel at some point.

A few suggestions:

so I borrowed my parents’ ship and left Lapone, the planet where I’m from

I think you could change the second half to "my home planet," just so it flows better.

Not just because she’s my best friend, but also, because she can work a ship like a doctor with a scalpel,

Replace the second comma with "because," again for better flow.

Also, your description of Lynn's prowess with a ship raises some questions. They both seem to be teenagers, so how did Lynn become so good a flying a ship? Is it a hobby of hers? Is she studying it in school? You should probably address this, because I kind of doubt that, even in the future, flying a spaceship would be equivalent to driving a car in terms of the requirements to be able to fly.

It's not too hard to fix this - you could just say her goal was to become a pilot or something. That bit of the world just needs a little fleshing out.

Other than that, this was really good. My only other suggestion would be to say what it is the planet could do to save themselves, as that seems like something that would probably be included in the letter.

“Yeah, they’re dead. But who has to deal with those deaths, remember them, and not know why they even happened in the first place? Who has to float through space and find something to fill the giant hole in their heart? Who has to find a way to recover, if there’s even a way at all?”

This was my favorite part. Very touching and true :)

Keep it up!
-Meandbooks

ClippedWings says...

Thanks! I never thought about a lot of your suggestions, so I'll definitely work on that.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:45 pm
PebbleToad wrote a review...

Hello, Toady here for a review on this wonderful day!

This was an imaginative story, and very fun to read. A very cool description of the future, and you string both dramatic and funny parts together almost perfectly. There were a few questions left unanswered, though. I didn't quite get how and why exactly Earth destroyed Lapone and the other small colonies. Is there some type of Cold War going on? Despite that, your characters are well-done, and this story was very intriguing. I'm always pulled in by the oddish ones. Anywho, let's get on with the nitpicks:

"I was on the way to nowhere when it happened. I was angry with my parents for not letting me have enough freedom, so I borrowed my parents’ ship and left Lapone, the planet where I’m from."
This could be worded a bit better. You are a bit comma-happy in the first two sentences, which can be fixed with a few wording changes. I suggest adding what made you thirst for this freedom, maybe you were forbidden to go to a party or other gathering everyone was going to? You may want to use more vivid vocabulary through the story as well.

"So naturally, when I told her about my plan, she agreed- but only if she flew the ship."
Once again, commas. I suggest something like: "Being the loyal friend she has been for years, Lynn reluctantly agreed on one condition-she flew the ship."

No complaints or anything here. I put this in to compliment you on this beautiful saying. I's very meaningful and insightful. *clapclapclapclap*

"All of the planets involved benefited from the advanced technology, and enjoyed the benefits of a common language. Our ships had become so advanced that a trip across the galaxy only took a day, and we’ve even found ways to send inanimate objects back in time. It’s still too risky to send back living beings."
This is an interesting part, and I liked reading it, but I think it could be a little more in-depth. Did the colonies work together to fix the issue of slow space travel with their common language the most useful tool? How long did it take for inanimate time travel to be perfected? Was there a competition like a the Space Race? All this would make it a lot more interesting.

That's all I have with the nitpicks. It's a great and imaginative story, and I could imagine these two girls growing up to be totally awesome vengeful vigilantes. Keep up the good work! I hope to see more of your work around YWS! :) :P :D

ClippedWings says...

Thanks! I'll definitely work on what you suggested.

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild