Mysteries(Just a Practice Story.)

by ChocolateMuka

A mysterious village, a village filled with silence, and abused people. The village had strict rules, if someone disobeyed those strict rules, they would get the punishment. Nobody knew what the punishment was, but some of the people in the village heard that the punishment was bloody, and painful. Other's thought it was getting killed, but who knows? 

There was a girl named Emily who entered the village, she was new around the village and she didn't know the strict rules. She was always quiet, and mysterious. She would always carry a knife around with her, in her jean's pocket.

One day, she was walking past by a person, but before she was, she saw something, something so horrible. The guards of the village were torturing the person with a whip. The person screamed, and cried, wanting help. Nobody would help him, or stand up for him, but except one person, Emily.

Emily ran over to the person, punching the guard. Emily reached out her hand to the person, the person was about to grab her hand, but before he could. Emily was taken away by the guards, she struggled to get out of their grip, but she couldn't.

The other villagers watched in fear, nobody helped her.. Not a single person helped her. Her brown messy, and short hair got out of the way of her eyes. She remembered she had a knife in her pocket, if only she could just reach it, she would be able to kill the guards. 

To be continued. (Maybe..)

This is only a practice story, I want to know other's opinion about this story, and I do want some advice also, please. Thank you.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:15 am
LogicAndObjections wrote a review...

Heyheyhey, it's me here ^__^

I remember when you told me, or rather us (memories), that you made this in an hour. I really liked it actually but there's a bit more you need to do to make this story absolutely perfect and beautiful and nyantastic and I'll just stop now.

Alright, basically you tell what Emily is doing, notice the 'tell.' As I've learned a way to do things is to balance out the showing and telling, keep the balance. But it's mostly leaning towards the telling more than the showing. Of course I understand it is a practice story but let's call this brushing up the little mistakes so maybe once you make a serious story you can really be prepared.

I like how you started with a little summary at the front of the story, but also maybe it would be nice to include a name for your village perhaps? (if you want to leave the readers in suspense I get that totally!)

Also I think you described the villagers perfectly, with the equal amount of fear and helplessness they were placed in, as you described with both showing and telling. Showing meaning as this sentence shows:

"The other villagers watched in fear, nobody helped her.. Not a single person helped her."

This is a really good glimpse at showing, one I encourage you to review and maybe revise.

Also some of us want to know more of Emily's thoughts, not just the frantic thoughts of getting out of the guard's grip but more as what she thinks of the villagers, people, scenery and even her family!

But over all your story just needed some minor touch ups, I think the plot line is really suspenseful, hope to here from you soon Muka ^___^

Happy writing!

AttackOfTheFlash wrote a review...

Hello! Flash here for a review.
Hmm.. It seems like you're "telling" instead of "showing" in this piece. The first paragraph could work as an introduction to this world you've created. It could totally work. But the rest of the story should show us things about the village and Emily.
Speaking of Emily, you gave us little details. We know she has short, brown, messy hair. What about her eye color? Her body shape? What clothes does she wear?
Once again don't tell us she's quiet and mysterious, show us that she is! For example, when she decided to take up for the innocent person, the reader can indirectly see that Emily is pretty brave.
Another thing in question is the time period. When I think "village" I think of a little town with cottages in a secluded forest in the medieval/dark/Middle Ages. And then you mention "jeans." Girls didn't wear jeans (let alone pants) until the 1920s or 1930s. Plus, I don't think jeans even existed until then either.
Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to talk about the grammatical errors.
"In her jean's pocket" would sound much better as "in her jean pocket" or "in the pocket of her jeans." Or, you could even leave that part out and just say she carries a knife with her.
"There was a girl named Emily..." I would consider removing "there was" as it doesn't really flow.
There are also a few comma splices. My best advice is that you can't make a sentence longer by just adding commas. Then it's technically a run-on.
Lastly, I wanted to see more action when Emily ran over to punch the guard! Action is awesome and keeps readers reading! :)
Well, that's all I've got. Keep writing and welcome to YWS!! :D
~Flash

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson