A memory of nothing

by Yoshiki

I let out a soft breath and take a sip out of the teacup in front of me. The tea is a Little to Cold, and it also has a touch of bitterness underneath the taste, a Little bit like the voice of my grandmother, (such a charming lady, and so talented in the art of sarcasm) but all the same it fills me with a calm, relaxed feeling. I Close my Eyes for a second and let out the sigh i've been holding in. I don't know why, but something inside me stirrs, like drop of water falling into a pond after a rain, filling the dark water with ripples. It's a weird feeling, something like a realization. Somehow it feels like something I've know a long time ago, like someone I met and forgot again, and then met again years later, with the half erased memory left somewhere in the back of my head. It makes me feel small and unimportant, like a raindrop falling to the ground, among thousands of others, a raindrop doomed to hit the ground before it even realizes that it is falling. I take a mouthful of tea in a try to get rid of the feeling, but it hangs onto me more desperately than an old ex. Actually, what will my life be? I'll Finnish school. I'll find a boyfriend. I'll get a job. We will marry.  I'll have children. We will start to quarrel. We will split up, and even if we don't, we will be sitting in our  nice house, with ok jobs and scar, but will I be happy? Is that happiness? What IS happiness? Hell, I can't even answer that. A human can walk through life, being happy and unhappy and never knowing really why. We are just so caught up in our own life's, that we don't even notice what we are doing with them. With a shrug, I pull myself back to reality. But the feeling is still stuck inside me, and like a poison spreads after a snakebite, it's filling my head, pulsating out the poisonous words through the pulsating of the blood, and filling my head with an Eco; nothing will ever change life is nothing you'll never find the meaning, there is no meaning, there is no way for happiness to stay... I ignore it for now, but I can feel it slowly spreading in my veins. I wander what happens when it reaches the heart?

Octaclepassing says...

This is truly emotional. It's questioning without answers. The title fits alright, it describes emptiness. It's basically self- doubt and presenting fear to the everyday stereotype path of life. With comments below, they noticed the grammar errors which I do see. You should edit them, though if considering to published it widely in some magazine or whatever major literary format. The story is basically just thinking to herself, the main character here. The character is like questioning their future existence of her human condition. Analyzing herself and the future, and everything that is feared is the whole piece about as I do feel some connection, but since it's short it also cuts away the feeling. Not saying longer the better, actually it's the quality that brings to presentation but anyways its a short piece of work.

Overall, it's the questioning of emotions and life. No answers though. It's like as if one falls into a pit and cannot get up.
So good work, but I'd advise to check your grammar for future works.

Wed May 06, 2015 12:14 am
Ranay333 wrote a review...

Great job! I'm very impressed. When I read this I was curious as to what got you inspired to write it. Believe it or not you aren't the only on who has described this feeling. A lot of people are still struggling with it but express it in different ways. That or they try and ignore it like the woman in this story. I've seen it go both ways in the end it all depends on how that person decides to handle it. There are a few punctuation problems but nothing major. Except for the concept of this story there are two other things that I like the most. 1.) The comparisons that you used like with the drop of water after a rain. 2.) The flow of it. You can really tell you put a lot of thought into this, or something inspired you so much that it just came to you. The flow made the emotions stand out but also collide together without crashing. Again you did a good job. Keep up the good work. :)

Fri May 01, 2015 2:41 am
liv1997 wrote a review...

Hey! I really like the story/idea of this. I feel like there are a lot of people who can relate to it on all levels. It really captures how one thought can lead to a downward spiral of "what if's" and worries.

The main problem I noticed was grammar and punctuation. You also had many capitalization errors as well, but that may have just been your computer or formatting. I would just take a little more time when proofreading your work to make sure you don't have too many commas and spelling errors. Spell check is always a good place to start, but don't always trust it. Its very easy for spell check to miss over a word that is wrong simply because it's technically right. Let me explain. If you mean to type the word "if" but accidentally type "it", (it seems to happen to me a lot), spell check won't find anything wrong with that because "it" is still a word, and is very commonly used. Spell check only catches major spelling errors, it often passes over silly keyboard errors like that. A few pairs of human eyes often do the trick of catching little mistakes like that.

Overall, I really like your writing style. I feel like you are very relatable and realistic with your work and I like that. Keep writing!!
Have a good day!!

dzkhuman says...

God work, though the punctuations and spelling are aweful

ChiravianSkies wrote a review...

Hey! I'm Maddie and I'll be reviewing your work.
First, I want to say that in order for me to even be able to review this, I had to copy/paste it into Scrivener and paragraph it correctly. Please, please, PLEASE paragraph your works. One new paragraph per new topic. (For example, when you went from what happiness is and then onto pulling the character back to reality.) Just a pointer.

Next, you have an almighty amount of spelling, and capitalization errors littered throughout this piece.
Spellcheck is not your friend. Don't trust it for the life of you. For example, you have the word "Wander" instead of "Wonder." Spellcheck saw nothing wrong with this. So keep an eye out for these things. Another example is "Eco" instead of "Echo." There's another one in here. "Finnish," like the nationality, and "Finish," like a finish line. Read over your work with a pair of human eyes. It'll help your work feel and look more professional.
On capitalization, only capitalize names and the beginning of sentences. When you write "What IS happiness," you should decapitalize the "is" and make the words in italics. That way, it keeps the soft, prose poem-ish air to it instead of the sound of an impulsive teenager.

On that note. Holy cow, your character, who obviously hasn't married or gotten together with anyone, sounds like an adult who has gone through so many bad things. Your character seems insane, going on spiels like BSoDs about every single topic they want. Typically people think about one or two things at a time, and only wonder what it could be like, especially teens. Your main character in particular acts like she's gone through so much in life, that she could only spend her days with a warm cup of tea in her hands, like some old grandma. [i][No./i]

Sorry if my review seemed harsh, but I wanted to improve your story, and sugar-coating it wasn't going to do anything.
Keep Writing!
Maddie out!

Yoshiki says...

Sorry, my first language isn't English and this was my first story on this website. About the capitalization, somehow when I write on this site it does it automatically. The typos are just me being to lazy to spellcheck though xD (if this isn't entirely correct english, it's merely because it's the middle of the night)

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:38 am
kevin25a wrote a review...

I know I am terrible at punctuation, but your story was just full of abused commas. You replaced a lot of spots that should be periods with commas, and in doing so your whole story is just nonstop run on sentences. You should only split a sentence with a comma once. Splitting it with a comma more than once creates run on sentences and confusion. You also failed to split that large paragraph into a proper one and instead mixed together a string of random ideas that get very confusing. You need to break up the paragraph properly because the abuse of commas created tons of confusion, that throwing in random comparisons and ideas just made a lot worse. Those two issues alone made this story a mess and extremely confusing, you should go back and fix those issues to avoid putting off your readers.

I honestly couldn't figure out a single thing you were trying to say with the story. Is it that you're depressed? You don't believe love is possible? Is it about being pessimistic? I couldn't understand the idea or the point behind this because it's to mixed up and confusing. It could be good i'm sure, but the way it's written right now isn't. It's not the worst I have seen on here, and no offense meant but it's below average.

drainyd says...

I like your story partly because I write like you do and I share your most of your sentiments on life.

kevin25a says...

In the future comments like that should be posted in the box above ^^^ not as a reply to someone's review.

Yoshiki says...

Well about the abused commas, I just like making a sentence that way. But I'll think about that next time xD

kevin25a says...

Alright, just a heads up almost everyone will point that out. I'm speaking from experience, I write the opposite I don't put enough in. :)

kevin25a says...

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus