Home » Literary works » Short Story » General

A Long-Expected YWSiversary

by ChieRynn

“My dear members,” began Nate, posting at the top of chat. “My dear global moderators and administrators, and my dear junior moderators and distinguished members…”

“POTATOES!” cried Sheytato, waving a potato in the air and typing with one hand. Saentiel glanced at her brother and sighed, going back to her keyboard.

“…Potatoes and storybookers and novelists, poets and short story writers, script writers and lyricists, clubbers and forum posters, bloggers and meme-posters, today is my ten and third birthday!”

There came resounding posts of “Hurray!” from all the YWSers as they jammed on their keyboards and touchscreens to type their replies before he started talking again.

“I hope you’ve all been enjoying yourselves as much as I have!”

The members cheered again, in text. Such a flurry of replies came that Nate had to forcefully boot them all out of the chat room before it broke. When everyone had reloaded the tab and reentered the chat room, Nate began again.

“I won’t keep you here long. I’ve called you all here for a reason. For two reasons!”

The mods were able to hold down chat and tell members to stop spamming while Nate continued.

“First is to say that I’m immensely fond of all of you. Ten and three years is too short a time to have spent with the Young Writers Society.”

The chat replies filled up, until some of the mods posted for silence.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. At least things aren’t too personal, after all, kids, remember internet safety.”

There came some posts consisting of “lol” and “XD” as people either understood or pretended they understood what was just said.

“Secondly, I’d like to celebrate our birthday! As you know, my dear assistant Big Brother shares this birthday with me. Together our age is twenty-six, a number that makes the “young” writers society sound “old”. Big Brother comes of age today, old enough to join the Young Writer’s society without parental supervision, if he wished.”

Here followed more clapping emojis and links to happy birthday GIFs. Suddenly, Nate almost appeared to log off for a second, then came back. The virtual clapping was still going on.

“Sorry, my internet is glitchy. I have now a third announcement, I am leaving. My internet keeps wanting to boot me off. This is what I get for using Internet Explorer. Eleven minutes is too short a time to spend with you, the members of Young Writer’s society. This is the END. I’m GOING. GTG, TTYL!”

With that, Nate’s name vanished from the memberlist on the side of the chat bar.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:57 pm
GodHatesMason says...

It should've been 13 minutes...heh...see what I did there??? :3

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm
CaptainPanda13 wrote a review...

Some quite funny stuff here, I love it. Would like to see more hilarious stuff from you, just like this.

From CaptainPanda13.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:47 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hullo ChieRynn! Cat here to review this wonderful work and get it out of the green room! Okay then, here we go! :D

First, let's go through your story together (Anything in bold is my comments/suggestions/grammar help):

“POTATOES!” (LOL) cried Sheytato, waving a potato in the air and typing with one hand. Saentiel glanced at her brother and sighed, going back to her keyboard. (Waitaminute.. They're related? Okay, I feel like I should probably know this)

“…Potatoes and storybookers and novelists, poets and short story writers, script writers and lyricists, clubbers and forum posters, bloggers and meme-posters (*cough* *cough* Not me...), today is my ten and third birthday!” (... oOH gotcha)

The members cheered again, in text. Such a flurry of replies came that Nate had to forcefully boot them all out of the chat room before it broke. (oOH so you can break the chat room!) When everyone had reloaded the tab and reentered the chat room, Nate began again.

There came some posts consisting of “lol” and “XD” as people either understood or pretended they understood what was just said. (I'm always pretending to understand what was said ;P)

“Sorry, my internet is glitchy. I have now a third announcement, I am leaving. My internet keeps wanting to boot me off. This is what I get for using Internet Explorer. (Yup..) Eleven minutes is too short a time to spend with you, the members of Young Writer’s society. This is the END. I’m GOING. GTG, TTYL!” (Wow, that ending though, sounds a little rude-ish?)

What I liked: I loved how funny it was, and I mean, it sounds like it could easily actually happen!

What to fix grammar/spelling wise: .... I have found nothing! Good job! :D

Plot holes/confusing stuff: .... Again, I got nothing! :D

Other random comments: Just Lol

Well anyways, super funny story! Good job and keep writing! :D

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 am
saentiel says...

This is absolutely beautiful.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 am
Danni88 wrote a review...

Hi there! I saw this and just had to review it!
So, nitpicks:

Er, none!

I loved the potato comment. Classic.

...people either understood or pretended they understood what was just said.
This is me to a T, or rather a D! ;)

It's funny how Nate boots people out of the chat room. I automatically started reading this assuming it was a verbal speech, then I thought "Hang on a minute..."

Overall: this is a very good piece of work, with subtle jokes and fun references. Keep up the good work!

Happy Birthday YWS!!

Danni xox

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:48 am
Mea says...

This is perfect on so many levels.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 am
LittleLee says...

YAY I get to review this!!!
Only negative point : you mispelled "age" as "ae" at on point.
Do I have to say anything else? It's beautifully written, and I love how you have captured just each paragraph and linked it with the Hobbit! Amazing idea, I'm Jesus!
;Do
Will done!!!

ChieRynn says...

I have a typo? AHH me must finds this imperfection and kills it...yes we must...

ChieRynn says...

*we not me. Wish you could edit replies.

LittleLee says...

;D

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:39 am
Querencia says...

This is too beautiful. :,)

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala