z

Young Writers Society



Precious Illusions

by Chanson


So, I was just another girl. You had a list. A plan, a scheme. Call it what you will. Did I have a number? Girl number 34? Do I get a tick beside my name on your mental checklist? Can I have a gold star, please, for being such an easy target?

I expected this feeling of betrayal (and don't flatter yourself, you weren't that good; I saw this coming) to feel like getting hit by a car. I imagined sharp, sudden, all consuming pain. I imagined the type of pain that stopped all thoughts. The type of pain that knocked the wind out of my lungs, that took over my heart, that made everything blur and fade into one. I imagined seeing everything in grey after the betrayal, that the hurt would soak all color from my world. I saw myself as a torn, broken shell. I would wander empty streets late at night, i-Pod tucked into my pocket, volume up, listening to Alanis Morissette perhaps. She seems fitting, doesn't she? You would hate her and she is what I would consider a strong, feminist kind of woman. She is probably a lesbian, now I think of it but that is neither here nor there. I saw myself baking rich chocolate cake, the recipe for which I have in my diary under the title of Heartbreak Cake. I have never had the chance to use the recipe but I imagined I might, for you. I suppose I saw myself as a heartbroken girl, experiencing raw emotion.

It was nothing like that. Just a dull, harsh feeling that cannot be described as 'pain' exactly. Pain is red, the color of poppies in the dark. This is a grey feeling, a misty dawn-blue. There was a connection that bound me to you. Infatuation, I should say, although I cannot bear to write that. Now I feel it faltering. The connection is static, no longer so secure. Oh, yeah. It hurts, don't be confused. The feeling might be dull but it is dull in the way a hammer against the heart is; the way suffocation might be. But not the way I thought it would. Not the way it did that summer.

Not that you know about that summer. Not that you give damn. That was the summer I learnt not to care. That was the summer I learnt my magic trick. The trick where I can turn off emotion as if there is a switch inside me. It didn't take me long. I didn't work on it. It just happened, almost over night. See, there was a guy. No surprises there. Don't fall off your seat. I didn't feel the same way about him as I do about you. I hadn't given myself to him the way I did with you. You'd think I would have gotten smarter since then but it appears I just lost intelligence rather then gained it. Age does not always bring wisdom and that scares the shit out of me.

I liked him though. And the disco, if that is what you can call an ugly hall decorated with cheap lights and vibrating with bad music, had a kind of power. Kissing him was strange. I say I have no regrets but I'm lying. Because I do. And this is one: I should have pulled away then. When it didn't feel right, I should have known. I felt a little dizzy, very awkward. I kept kissing him though, kept kissing him and letting him touch me.

Afterwards, when it turned out it was a bet, that feeling was red. Red and sore. Raw, cutting pain. That was getting hit by a car. That was gunshot. I almost cried. Almost, but not quite, and for that i am proud. Because I can honestly say I have never cried over a boy. (I am proud of that but maybe it just means I am incurably screwed up and for that you can blame my mother. But that is another story.)

I hope he bought himself something good with the money he won. I damn well hope I was worth at least a new video game.

So that is the story and yeah, it's not shocking. I didn't exactly kill myself. I got over it. But it hurt and it taught me not to feel.

You untaught the lesson, knocked down my wall. I'll rebuild it. Bend down, pick up the pieces. I know how to build it this time. I'll make it stronger, add another layer.

I'll close up.

I am still undecided as to whether kissing you means I am trusting or just weak. Did I do it a) because I am so believing in human nature or b) because I am stupid? I think we both know. It's secret option c: I had totally fallen for you.

So here I am. Alone, hurt. Changed by you. Well done, congratulations, you left your mark. On to girl number 35. Good luck. To her, I mean. Lets hope she screws you over instead. Bitter? Me?

The night is gentle. A light heat hangs in the air. A gentle cotton blanket heat. The perfect covering of warmth. Someone wove this night with tender hands. This is the night of new beginnings. I'll get over it. Not tonight, not tomorrow. You'll still take my breath away. You'll still make my heart skip the requisite amount of beats. Only for a little while. One night, I'll hit the switch and we'll forget this ever happened (I live in hope).

Just around the corner, there is another boy.

Until then, I've got the volume up on my i-Pod and Alanis is singing her little heart out.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 5404
Reviews: 97

Donate
Sat May 30, 2009 12:56 am



I really liked this. Most definitely one of the best pieces I've read in a while. There were some minor mistakes and errors, but those are small to comparison of how great the story altogether is. Great job!




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 122

Donate
Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 pm
aouther2b wrote a review...



This is a very good story. It is very well formated and it is powerful. Try not to put things in () it makes it more personal when you don't. I think that the best part was...

Afterwards, when it turned out it was a bet, that feeling was red. Red and sore. Raw, cutting pain. That was getting hit by a car. That was gunshot. I almost cried. Almost, but not quite, and for that i am proud. Because I can honestly say I have never cried over a boy. (I am proud of that but maybe it just means I am incurably screwed up and for that you can blame my mother. But that is another story.)

Keep on writting!




User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 129

Donate
Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:19 am
Mattie wrote a review...



Chanson...where should I begin? Was it your way of writing? Your style? Your truthfulness by making the story about your life? All these things made your story great, drawing me in as others had said. It was powerful, believable...utterly amazing. I love the part about the ipod since I want a mini so bad even though I have the regular one...:) I hope to read more even though this is probably the first thing I've read by you. You should be glad I read this...or actually I should be glad because I really enjoyed it and happy I stumbled upon it.




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 85

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:58 pm
Chanson says...



yes, it's a true story. unfortunately :)

thanks for all the great comments.

(and i will definitley work on the a) b) c) pargraph, I'm not sure about it myself).




User avatar
493 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 493

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:52 pm
Misty wrote a review...



So, I was just another girl. You had a list. A plan, a scheme. Call it what you will. Did I have a number? Girl number 34? Do I get a tick beside my name on your mental checklist? Can I have a gold star, please, for being such an easy target?

AMAZING! what a way to start it off! Like...wow! mind-blowing. what an awesome beginning!

That was getting hit by a car. *great description. really drew me in...wow!*

I damn well hope I was worth at least a new video game. *perfect*

I am still undecided as to whether kissing you means I am trusting or just weak. Did I do it a) because I am so believing in human nature or b) because I am stupid? I think we both know. It's secret option c: I had totally fallen for you.

*not positive about this paragraph. But it is good*


This piece was totally awesome. One of the best I've read in a long while. You should be really proud of yourself for writitng something so cool. :D I would be! Btw, is it a true story>




User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 221

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:40 pm
Kay Kay wrote a review...



Good job once again. I like this more and more each time I read it. My only suggestion is that maybe it would be a good idea not to put things in ( ). Not that there is anything wrong with that but it just seems like a good idea to me. Can't wait to hear more.




User avatar
447 Reviews


Points: 2340
Reviews: 447

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:54 pm
Duskglimmer wrote a review...



This is really incredibly powerful. I'm beginning to really look forward to these pieces that you keep writing. Every time you do the situation just jumps off the page at me. I can completely understand the girl's thoughts and emotions... Every word she says pulls me in farther. Excellent job!





“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing