I Dreamed of Being a Princess

by CarsonTheArson

When I was younger I dreamed of being a princess.

But a princess is fragile, and always needs someone else to save her.

So I decided I didn’t want to be a princess.

-

When I was younger I dreamed of being the chosen one.

But the chosen one has their life already planned out, and they don’t choose their own destiny.

So I decided I didn’t want to be the chosen one.

-

When I was younger I dreamed of being a superhero.

But a superhero keeps their real self a secret, and has the fate of the world on their shoulders.

So I decided I didn’t want to be a superhero.

-

When I was younger I dreamed of being anyone but me.

But there is no one more meant for me than myself.

So I decided I wanted to be me.

Love wrote a review...

I think I might as well review this ^_^ Heyo Cay :)

I found this to be a truly great poem ^_^ The three examples you have of wanting to be someone else are very common in kids, and very relatable! There is a wonderful musical canon feel to the poem, with the four stanzas repeating somewhat yet bringing much new content with each repetition. I especially love the second example of being the Chosen One, as it's not stereotypical of children yet quite understandable ^_^ I love the elegant feel to the poem, with essentially no redundant information that does not add to the poem.

The ending reinforces the point that has been accumulated throughout - the importance of being yourself and not trying to be someone else your entire life, and the personal pronouns help to hint at the fact that this feeling of being someone else is just a feeling, one which will likely remain even if you WERE to become one of those things. So the only true way to be happy is to be happy with being yourself ^_^

A wonderful poem anyway. Keep it up! :D *gives pancakes*

Tuesday wrote a review...

Hello Tuesday here for a review.

I like to begin that this poem could relate to many people since when were little (and still today) we ponder about changing just to fit in. Also I enjoyed the repetition of wanting to be that person you wished to be then realizing that it would cost you your dreams and secrets.

Just one nitpick, and that would be using dreamt instead of dreamed because it uses the normal tense for this poem. However, you can choose to leave it since it is your poem.

Overall, I loved this poem because it could relate to people like myself since when I was little I wanted to change into something more but as I grew older, I realized that I can be myself without anyone judging me (well, "judging").

Farewell,
Tuesday
(Sorry for this short review.)

IncohesiveScribbles wrote a review...

Hi Caylleen,

This is a great poem! I love the message of only be yourself it's who you're meant to be. I feel the reason kids want to become other things is because adults put pressure on them to be extraordinary and special, when really you can achieve that by just being yourself. Personally I feel the word dreamt sounds better than dreamed but I looked it up and both are used in American and British English.

Overall this is a great poem. And as always, keep writing.

-Incohesive Scribbles

joallover wrote a review...

Hey, this is joallover with a faaaaabulous review day review here for you.
Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh I like this. This reminds me of my own personal thoughts, only a bit different.
When I feel sorry for myself, I tell myself that I'm a princess, if not in real life than in my head. The reason being that Disney princesses always have a reason for their sufferance. Their life problems always come to a happy ending with confidence that it will never happen again.
But now, I feel as though I should be repeating this in my head. This is MUCH more optimistic!
Sooooo all in all I have no real nitpicks and no harsh criticism. Yay!
I'd like to read more compositions from you. Keep writing!
-joallover

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:59 pm
fantasydragon01 says...

Hi!
I liked the message of the story. I think it is really good and deserves to be followed by all. I didn't see any mistakes or anything like that. You did a good job on the song. Good luck and keep writing!!! *presses the "like" button".

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 pm
erilea says...

You. Are. A. Fricking. Genius.

Why thank you love XD

erilea says...

You're very very welcome :D

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:39 pm
Lael wrote a review...

Wow! ;)

I think that it would be better if you put a comma after "younger." That may just be me, though.

Also, is the "chosen one" supposed to be capitalized?

I don't really have any more things to say about changing things.

I like how you express the value of being yourself by talking about all the things that children dream of being, and why they aren't actually as good as they seem. I really enjoyed reading this, because the truth is that there is no one better to be than yourself. Great job, and keep up the good work! :)

Thank you ^_^ And yeah, I think the comma would make it sound better. I'll check that chosen one thing too. Thanks!

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France