18+ Language Violence Mature Content

How Do You Plead: 9.1

by Brigadier

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

“Reggie, I’m going to ignore the fact that what you said made little to no sense but I know that if a Scotsman wants to have a conversation with an Irishman…”

Winslow trailed off as he got off the couch, leaving James to take his place in comforting Reggie. The puzzle pieces were starting to find there way onto the table. He knew that he didn’t have nearly enough details to figure out how Reggie was wrapped up in his high profile murder case. As he pulled a crisp, white dress shirt from his closet, Winslow couldn’t help but think of the white sheet carefully drawn over the body of Mr. Johnson.

“Alright Reggie, time to sober you up before we go to a crime scene,” Winslow remarked as he walked back out of their bedroom. He started the process of the percolator, getting a three cups down from the cabinet. “And before you ask, you’re drinking this black.”

“Winslow,” James started in a soft voice, and then continued, “Shouldn’t you be nicer to your friend?”

“Did I say that he was my friend? I must have made a mistake when I was describing the bastard that helped to ruin my life.”

Winslow walked out of the small corner nook of the kitchen, leaving James to watch the coffee pot. He slipped into the arm chair across from the couch that Reggie was barely staying conscious on. With a glaring stare, he kept eye contact for the young man while he waited for an answer.

“Winslow, it’s a bit mean to say I’m the bastard that helped ruin your life when you helped to ruin my life as well. Or did you forget the time you were fucking my sister and I walked in on you sucking her dick?”

“I wouldn’t say it ruined your life. If anything, it was a learning experience for what you should have been doing for your sexual partners.”

The detective could hear James sighing out in the kitchen as the cups clinked against their saucers. Winslow was a little bit surprised that he even had three matching cups in his cupboard as the sailor brought the tray out to the coffee table. He realized while looking at the tray just how hungry he was and it hurt even more as he took his first sip of coffee.

Winslow clearly wasn’t the one that needed sobered up and waking up, but he went along with it as James slipped into his lap. His sailor kissed his ear and whispered, “Are you sure you want to go to a boring old interview when you could stay in bed with me?”

The detective kissed James gently on the lips. It was just enough affection to remind them of what was between them. A quick glance in Reggie’s direction showed both the jealously and heartbreak resting in the man’s heart.

Inspired by his partner’s question, Winslow asked, “Reggie, what is the urgency of this situation? Surely this witness can last until a more reasonable time in the morning?”

“Based on what I’ve heard, I’m not sure this witness is going to last until the morning,” Reggie began to explain as his cup clinked against the saucer on the coffee table. “I’m not sure if you’ve heard all of the fat chewing yet, as you Americans like to say, but Mr. O’Keefe was the lover of Mr. Johnson.”

Winslow didn’t feel like explaining to the British agent that he had just mixed up several different phrases. He turned his cheek enough to kiss James for a few second mores then pulled away while wrapping their hands together.

He carefully kissed James’ ear and whispered back his own flirt, saying, “Just keep yourself ready and clean in bed for me. I’ll be back to dirty you up again as soon as I can.”

The detective slipped out of the chair, leaving James in his place. He tightened the silk noose around his neck and began the search for his fedora. While he darted between the small set of rooms, Reggie managed to get himself vertical and waiting by the apartment door, which Winslow only realized once walking out of the bathroom with his damp felt hat.

“Are you coming, Winslow?” Reggie asked as he leaned against the peephole.

“Not for you, Reggie.”

Winslow ended his quip with a quick kiss on James’ nose and made his way into the hallway with the agent. They walked down the few flights of stairs to the stoop in silence, allowing Winslow to reflect on how his last journey on the stair case had ended in a very satisfactory manner. And now he was being dragged away from his warm bed with his loving partner to go and interview the butler of a murdered man.

Overall a lovely start to his morning.

“Is there something on your mind, Winslow?”

The detective laughed before Reggie could even finish asking his question. They were standing on the stoop to his apartment building, ready to rush through the rain. And the agent somehow had the nerve to ask that.

“Let’s just get this over with so that I can get back to my apartment before my partner has to go back to work.”

Winslow made the quick sprint across the parking lot to his car. Once inside, he contemplated not unlocking the passenger side door to leave Reggie to soak for awhile in the rain. It was a passing thought but it was still a tempting thought as the agent slid in through the right door and commented, “Your upholstery needs a little bit of work.”

“Reggie, correct me if I’m wrong but the last time I checked you were a member of military intelligence and not an interior decorator. Certainly not an interior decorator specializing in the carpet of cars.”

The spy started to open his mouth, staring at Winslow like a deer in the headlights, and then quickly closed his lips again.

Their car trip down to the crime scene was thankfully silent.

Dreamy wrote a review...

Hey, I'll say it again: I just realised that you're addressing two different timelines in this novel. I apologise for any comments made regarding the timelines. _/\_

Oh, Winslows is so mean. Why is he so unkind to poor Reggie?! (I sure hope I'm not being ignorant in calling Reggie poor. I hope he doesn't deserve being called that, haha)

I thought it was funny how Winslow and James just sat their kissing each other when Reggie waited for them to finish up so they can go and interrogate this guy who is the dead man's boyfriend. It's dark and funny and pure hatred towards Reggie, I feel like.

[/quote]“I wouldn’t say it ruined your life. If anything, it was a learning experience for what you should have been doing for your sexual partners.”[/quote]

It boggles me how Reggie didn't have any come back for this and how he just let Winslow go at him like that. tsk tsk.

The puzzle pieces were starting to find there way onto the table.

"...their way..."

Cheers! :D

Rin321 wrote a review...

Heya, I'm back, you know how this goes! I've been way more productive this review day and I'm finally going to be caught up with your chapters! :)

YAYYY we're back in the present!- I mean *coughs* cool James is back...

Nah you know I'm really into this now lol

Winslow is so aggressive to him, James is so soft though he's like why are you being so mean XD
But it really shows all the different perspectives of Winslow's personality, and really shows that James touches a part of him to receive all the tenderness he gets.

I'm sad though their moment is over, back to work *sigh*

I'm glad that he's closed the past enough to be secure for James in the present but I kinda feel a little bad for Reggie, I can only imagine all the complicated pasts and relationships Winslow has had @.@

"Not for you, Reggie," OUCHHHH! I love Winslow, he's my spirit animal I swear. I want good quips like that, but alas that makes him a fictional character lol
He's really rough on Reggie for the remainder of the chapter though (but again I don't blame him, I wouldn't wanna leave at that hour and into the rain rather than be in my lover's arms either)

I love the detail fo the 'silk noose' that you added in the scene. It really emphasizes Winslows's area to leave the moment to switch back and makes me question with him being so frustrated over his job commonly if it's something he will give up in the future! *hmmm*

Overall a really great chapter back, ready to see where these two are headed! No grammar or wording or such to mention that stuck out to me, as per usual.

Off to the next chapter; you're doing great!

Keep up the great work!
~Rin

Winslow trailed off as he got off the couch, leaving James to take his place in comforting Reggie.

So I thought I missed an installment, but I looked and I don't seem to have missed one? I'm honestly not sure if we've moved forward in time or if the party/Rosemary/Maxwell bit was a flashback. Prior to that bit, we were in Winslow's apartment with James and Reggie and everyone on the couch and someone crying or whatever, and now we're there again. So I'm a little lost just now.

I mean, Reggie still seems drunk, so I'm guessing the whole party bit was a flashback, but it wasn't clear at all.

Or did you forget the time you were fucking my sister and I walked in on you sucking her dick?

O o f.

Winslow, no. Dear lord.

Winslow was a little bit surprised that he even had three matching cups in his cupboard as the sailor brought the tray out to the coffee table.

Winslow did not know he had extra sheets and now he didn't know he had three matching cups. Winslow, aka Man Who Doesn't Know What Stuff He Owns. Please tell me this continues throughout the story. It's such a stupid thing about his character, but I love it.

Honestly seeing the tenderness again and really not knowing where Rosemary fits into all this, I'm now rethinking, like, all my critiques of the past several chapters. I think Winslow's being twenty only came up in chapter 8, which means that could've been a flashback and he could indeed be older now. Plus that would take care of my issues with "he was JUST with James and now he's pursuing Rosemary?" because this wouldn't all be happening in quick succession like I thought it was. Maybe there was a chapter heading I missed??? Because I remember the future/space story bounced around a lot and I kept getting confused because I kept not noticing your headings explaining where we were in time and space.

So if that was a flashback, you can probably ignore all my thoughts on how weird it is that Winslow is twenty and that he's just, like, diving into bed with different people.

And now he was being dragged away from his warm bed with his loving partner to go and interview the butler of a murdered man.
Overall a lovely start to his morning.

Heh heh.

He's a spy, Winslow, as far as you know he could be anything. Or maybe car interior decorator is his cover.

Rin321 says...

hahaha your review is hilarious, I love seeing I'm not the only one enjoying the characters' banter here

BluesClues says...

Heh heh, I aim to please!

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy