18+ Language Violence Mature Content

How Do You Plead: 7.3

by Brigadier

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

They continued their gentle acts under the flow from the shower head, grabbing at each other until the water ran bone chilling cold. It took so much for Winslow to pull himself away from the sailor long enough to wrap towels around their waists and robes around their shoulders. As soon as they started dripping onto the bath mat, he grabbed his sailor back again and left more marks on his neck. He leaned back on the edge of the tub and James leaned into him while asking, “Where has all of this newfound strength come from, Sir?” With another kiss he added, “I thought you were all tuckered out and ready to go to bed.”

Winslow ran his hand down James’ back and then struck his ass sharply. With a smirk he answered, “Some naughty boy made a mess all over my sheets so we either have to sleep on the couch or change the bedding.”

“Are you expecting me to be a housewife already?” James asked as he kissed the detective on the nose.

They made their way through the living room until they managed to get into the bedroom. Winslow pulled himself away from his sailor to dig out some clothes for the both of them with James clinging around his waist the entire time. It was hard to rifle through his own drawers for a couple of pairs of drawers when he was distracted by the fact those same pairs would probably be on the floor again soon. His sailor seemed to be on a similar track when he asked, “Winslow, wouldn’t it just be easier for us to stay in the nude? Or have you suddenly grown an aversion to looking at my body?”

“I love your body, baby. That’s why we have to get some clothes on you, mister.”

The detective laid out a set of clothes for James on the dresser, putting on his own boxers and wrapping the house coat back around his waist. He left the other man to lean against the furniture while he went in search of a spare set of linens for their bed. Winslow searched through several logical places before remembering the trunk in the bottom of his closet where all of the mismatched items went. It had never occurred to him that he only had one full set of sheets for his bed until he was on the hunt for clean ones.

“Hey James!”

“Yeah?” came a muffled shot from the other room.

“Get the sheets out of the trunk in the bottom of my closet and I’ll fix us those drinks you wanted earlier.”

The only reply that Winslow could make out was a roaring laugh. Winslow was using the drink making task at hand to distract from everything else. From all of the bad memories that were constantly flooding his mind, ranging from bad sexual encounters to horrifying battlefield scenes. Being with someone like this made him more and more aware of how rough he was when he wanted to be soft and how insensitive he had been to people lately.

It hadn’t been right to be so confrontational with the dykes in the bar - especially when they were right about the nature of the relationship between cops and queers. He was most definitely a traitor by his profession but he was still allowed to love who he wanted to love. The detective had made a lot of mistakes in his life. Hurting a lot of people and fucking up in ways that he would never be able to repair.

Too many ruined lives. And those thoughts were leading him to question just how sharp the knives next to him were.

“Winslow? Are you coming? I’ve already made the bed and I’m just waiting for you to climb into it with me.”

The knife dropped out of his hand, clinking against the kitchen counter, and he quickly gathered the two glasses of vaguely Blood Marys. It was a careful walk to the bedroom with the lack of a serving tray, but he didn’t want to appear to be too much a waiter. Especially since James was going to be the one who ended up serving him.

Well theoretically.

He might manage to fuck up this newly blooming relationship as well.

“Well there you are, Sir. It took you long enough to mix the liquor with the tomato juice or did you happen to get distracted by something else?”

Distraction was certainly the word to describe the scene that Winslow was facing now. James had managed to keep his robe and underwear on, but was splayed out across the bed. It was one of the most alluring scenes that Winslow had ever seen in his life - if not the most alluring thing he had seen in his life. But he was now realizing as he walked towards the bed that he needed to be more careful with someone that he found himself quickly caring about. He hadn’t been careful enough with Morgan by not making it clear there was no scenario where he would be interested in the young man. That had spiraled far enough out of control to leave both parties in immense pain at that very second.

He regained his snark as he set the glasses down on the bed side table and replied, “Well I’m finding myself even more distracted now but I just I can’t go further than holding you close to my chest right now. I need to make sure that you’re really here with me.”

“I’m here. You have me. What else is worrying you, Winslow?”

Concerns flooded his head as he tried to make sense of all of the thoughts. How would he breach the topic of “I hope that I didn’t rape you in the bar or just now.” How would he explain his fears about ruining someone’s life and leading himself down another pathway of pain. All of those thoughts were clouding his mind once again as Winslow kissed his sailor and asked, “Do you love me because I love you.”

“I do love you, Winslow.”

“I never want to hurt you.”

“I know you don’t and I’ll make sure that you don’t hurt me.”

That statement worried him too but Winslow let the worry slip away as they held each other. He knew James must have worries too.

Dreamy wrote a review...

Hello there, Captain! These characters and this scene in particular was oddly familiar, so I spent some time checking whether I've already read and reviewed this novel. Looks like I haven't, maybe it could have been a draft, no? (Is the Sailor character a prisoner? Was there a female detective that gave him a hard time in the interrogation room, if not, I apologise for assuming.)

I read the other two parts of the chapter, it looks to me that James and Winslow are just getting to know each other. And I like how comfortable they are with each other though there are worries, especially Winslow. Since the narration is majorly focused on Winslow, it was interesting to see how he had all these worries despite James being all over him.

“I hope that I didn’t rape you in the bar or just now.”

Especially with the above mentioned thought, I was intrigued to learn why Winslow felt that way. Is it just his anxious self or the effects of shell shock that makes him worry so much so. Or is there something he's hiding. It's fantastic how some thoughts of the characters speak volume and allows you to speculate to good extent. To me, that was the engaging point of this chapter.

Winslow looks like he's invested in this relationship. It's the best thing that has happened to him so far. It's everything to him and I feel like he would go to greater extent to save it, save James. And as for James, we'll see.

It was hard to rifle through his own drawers for a couple of pairs of drawers when he was distracted by the fact those same pairs would probably be on the floor again soon.

This made me laugh out loud. I thought he was going to say, it's hard to look for drawers because James his clinging to him, the weight and all. But this was unexpected and funnier.

Overall, I these two. You've done a good job keeping the readers engaged. Keep writing, yo.

Cheers! :D

It had never occurred to him that he only had one full set of sheets for his bed until he was on the hunt for clean ones.

Has,,,Winslow literally never cleaned his sheets ever?

Being with someone like this made him more and more aware of how rough he was when he wanted to be soft and how insensitive he had been to people lately.

I find this delightfully ironic, since James has rough hands and Winslow has, maybe not soft hands, but, like, not rough like James'. Interestingly, in this installment, Winslow is the one oscillating between confidence and panic/flashbacks, but I think it works better - it's probably because we're in his head, so we get to see how much he wants this and how much he likes James, but we also see how James reminds him of the past and sometimes bad things.

“I do love you, Winslow.”
“I never want to hurt you.”

Not gonna lie, I do love this dynamic of "we love each other but we might seriously hurt each other and do we even really love each other at all?" but, like, yes, they definitely do actually love each other. (I mean, I'm sure they do actually love each other, even though so far we don't technically know for sure.)

Rin321 wrote a review...

Hi! Rin321 back after a while (sorry)
It's been a while but I'm about hopefully catch up to your latest chapter on this very Special Harry Potter Review Day!

The beginning it such a seamless transition; I realize now in an actual book all the #.--- are continued single chapters but you break it down on here so it's easier to read and review, which is very much appreciated. On that note alone you pick a good sport to break up so it isn't too choppy between chapters!

I'm becoming such a shipper of these two, ugh (ugh in a good way haha)
They have such a fluffy banter and good chemistry between them, you can tell they're a glowing new thing and I love reading that!

"He was most definitely a traitor by his profession but he was still allowed to love who he wanted to love."
I loved this quote! It reminds the reader that even though when it's just them two everything is great that there is still the greater picture of the story (to which becomes fuzzy because I get so zeroed in onto these two lol) It is a good highlight of an important dilemma he will constantly have to face. It's good for him to value his job, but I'm happy he's doing what makes him happy, he's human and deserves it!

"That statement worried him too but Winslow let the worry slip away as they held each other. He knew James must have worries too."
Ughhhh poor guys :( I really hope they learn to get through this situation so they can care about themselves because they do deserve love. The dynamic can be very tricky as to the cop-suspect relationship.

Overall I didn't see anything spelling or grammar related that is wrong, but your chapters typically don't need much editing there!

This was a really nice chapter, sweet interactions but the realities of their situation still rang through! I'm eager to keep reading!

A pleasure as always,
Rin

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi