z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Not enough

by Persistence


Not enough

I grew the biggest wings my body could support
I flew as high as my breath would allow me
I took the stairs and watched the lift rise
I looked up – first floor was still above me

I would gladly roll the boulder up the mountain
just so I can see it at the top for one moment
even if it goes back down straight after.
But what do you do when your boulder is the mountain?

Granted, I'll scale the wall until my fingers hurt
I'll walk the tunnel until the light burns out.
And I'll do it knowing that my best will not suffice
because success is only gauged in others' eyes.
No matter what I do, say or accomplish
like every time so far, I'll be taken for granted.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:17 pm
View Likes
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review! I haven’t read the other reviews, so hopefully I’m not going to reiterate what anyone else has already said. This is my own opinion on the poem. :D

I took the stairs and watched the lift rise


I got slightly confused by the wording of this. So what I’m guessing you’re saying is that the narrator was watching people going up in the lift (or the elevator) while struggling up the stairs. But I found this a bit unclear.

I would gladly roll the boulder up the mountain
just so I can see it at the top for one moment
even if it goes back down straight after.


Haha, we were discussing this very legend in my Ethics class yesterday, and talking about how it’s possible to find meaning, even happiness in the most meaningless of things. This is just a random suggestion which may or may not improve the poem, but what I thought might be a really interesting idea was if you were to make more of a link to mythology. When I read this verse, then looked back at the previous verse about the wings, I thought of Icarus and wondered if you might be able to do something there. It might add another layer to the poem, but that’s purely a suggestion and to be honest, I really like the poem as it stands at the moment. :D

because success is only gauged in others' eyes.


WHY DID I READ THIS AS “GOUGED OUT OTHER’S EYES”? WHY?

Anyway, I liked the brevity of this poem, and although it didn’t rhyme and I tend to prefer rhyming poems, I felt like it was one of those cases where rhyme really wasn’t needed. With the repetition of “me” and “mountain” it almost felt like there was some kind of rhyme to it anyway (if that even makes any sense!)

Sorry if this review was a bit brief; I’m very aware when I review poems that I tend to write quite short reviews and don’t give a lot of feedback. However, I really loved it and I can’t wait to read more of your poems! Feel free to let me know if you need anything else reviewed. :D




Persistence says...


I thank you very much for your great review, and for your wonderful offer. ^^

By the stairs and lift bit I meant something like "having a tougher path than others".

I now see the potential to have referenced the Daedalus myth, thanks for noticing it. I really wish I'd thought of it sooner.

And don't sweat about the length of your review. It's pretty decent, longer than most reviews I get. Thank you so much for devoting time to write it!



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 541
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:22 pm
View Likes
reenaHeights13 wrote a review...



This is such an amazing work of art!! Every word adds flavor to this magnificent poem. The meaning is so deep, but simply put in a way that connects with the reader in a deeper, more moving way, despite the poems shortness. It inspires the reader to do things for themselves and not to do them because of others or their opinions. Ten thumbs up!!!!!!




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 364
Reviews: 33

Donate
Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:58 am
View Likes
Becky2421 wrote a review...



A simple moving work of art!
Wow! loving it!
Painting a picture of perseverance and aiming high.
Despite circumstances keep trying and moving high.
I like the theme behind this beautifully written work of art.
Pleasing to the ears and pleasure to the eyes when I imagined the picture
you drew in my head.
Bravo!
Love it! :)




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 28

Donate
Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:22 am
View Likes
Hippyhoodrat wrote a review...



Hi :) I thought this poem was really great. The language you used to convey something that is completely accurate and true is really amazing.
The first stanza was great. Awesome way to start off this poem.
However, the second stanza stumped me a little. I thought it lost some of its flow and it had a lot to do with the line that says "even if it goes back down straight after"
Maybe something like "even if I have to watch it tumble to the ground"? I love the last line in that stanza though. "But what do you do when your boulder is the mountain?" I thought the question fit perfectly. The last stanza was my favorite. You brought the poem into your focal point here and everything you said was so true. That stanza was insanely powerful. Really nice work. You are an amazing writer.




Random avatar

Points: 493
Reviews: 58

Donate
Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:24 pm
View Likes
ticktock123 wrote a review...



Hi CandyWizard!
I really like the poem! The meaning is so true - and the way you used a series of very simple metaphors really gets the point across strongly.

The first verse is amazing. The rhyming is perfect and the way you literally take the reader soaring up with you with the words you used such as "biggest wings, as high and rise" etc... really makes the reader hope etc... with you. But the last line plummets the reader right back down again-as I guess you intended. It really works amazingly.

I like the metaphor in the second verse. Its something we can all apply to in our lives. And I love the way you described the real problem as being because the bolder is the mountain. Again, a lot of people can relate to that. But it takes the reader on less of an "emotional journey" I guess. Because they are already disappointed that the boulder goes back down straight after.

My favourite line is "because success is only gauged in other's eyes". Its so true really gets to the reader. And the last line is also great.
I think the last verse overall is very powerful. Because of the steady rhythm even though it is free verse, and your word choice is perfect.

If I had to give you one improvement, it would probably be to include a few more rhymes. I'm guessing you wanted it to be free verse but I think the poem as a whole would have an even bigger impact if you made some lines rhyme with one another.

Great poem. Keep writing!
Tick tock




Persistence says...


Thank you for your review! It really helps.



User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 307
Reviews: 113

Donate
Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:40 pm
View Likes
Sherri wrote a review...



Hello CandyWizard! :)
I really enjoyed this poem, and for quite a few reasons. Firstly, you kept the rhythm of the poem solid even though it seems to be free verse (I can never do this, and applaud people that can). Second, you didn't go too far overboard with the metaphor; it wasn't super over-the-top, and you kept with a general theme--there was one bit that bothered me, but I'll get to that in the nitpicks part of the review. Finally, I just like finality you put into it. It's very well written, and however hopeless the ending seems, I still love how it turned out.
Alright, so poetry in general can be pretty hard to review, especially when the poems are short and contain no grammatical errors. For this reason, I only really have three minor nitpicks.
The first is that you go from talking about metaphorical wings, lifts, and first floors, and then to boulders and mountains, and finally to walls, tunnels, fading lights, and being taken for granted. I understand it's a metaphorical journey--a sort of way to describe life, and trying but not always succeeding, and the cruelties of others--but it did feel like it jumped around quite a lot. Not as bad as some poems, but still worth mentioning.
The second nitpick is the last stanza's line count in comparison to the first two. I can't recall if this is a format type, but it was sort of awkward for me to get into the flow of things and have to find the space in a breath to fit in that last line. Like I said, super minor, but I still figured I'd mention it.
The last thing is almost as silly as the second, and it's that in your first stanza, every line begins with "I". XD This is more of a pet peeve than anything, to be honest.
Anyways, this was a beautiful poem, and I really enjoyed it!! I hope you keep writing poetry :)




Persistence says...


Thanks for taking the time to write this review!



Sherri says...


Not a problem at all :)



User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 114
Reviews: 97

Donate
Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:46 pm
View Likes
acm wrote a review...



Great job! This poem is so true, and it had a really strong ending. I loved how the whole poem was a metaphor, and how the speaker has perseverance even when he/she knows that it won't be enough. Since this poem was really neat and shortish, I won't have much that I would change. Just that you might want to put commas at the end of each line. It helps break everything up a bit. Maybe it's a choice in style not to do it, and you don't have to listen to my advice. Other than that, I think it was perfect. Good work with the descriptions and metaphors!




Persistence says...


Thank you for the review!



acm says...


No problem!




It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your best.
— W. Edwards Deming