Buzzkill

by Persistence

She listens in.
There's an annoying buzz in her violin.
The anger boiling inside her makes her wanna be violent.
Her face is getting so red-hot, someone should call the firemen.
She can't quit, she needs to play. To her it's just like taking a vitamin.
She loves it: from scroll to waist, to the place where you rest your chin,
But her blonde head gets ready to detonate when she lays bow to string.
It's so irritating, and nobody else can even hear it! But she can't break it
either – it's not bought, it's borrowed. Though, she would like to take it
and bury it in her backyard, after she uses it as a shovel to dig the hole!
She feels like this buzz is making a dark stain on her soul, as dark as coal.
It makes her want to flip over a table, or cut through her neighbor's Wi-Fi cable.
How she wants to be able to throw it from a moving airplane, or under a heavy train!
And then she would repair it just so she could do it once again.
It's that stupid buzz – she promises she's not unstable,
not higher than eighty-three on the periodic table.
Nobody would lend an ear to her, so, in the end,
what can she do about it, but complain to a friend?
They sat down to talk and started to chat about her cat,
then about how they always complained to each other too much.
The friend decided that he wouldn't stand idle. He could not get rid
of the annoying buzz for her, but he could try to make it less annoying.
And so, he thought he'd give writing a poem for her a shot. He sought to
write something which he has not seen done a lot, and to hopefully put a
smile on her face, which is red-hot with anger, if you remember. But he,
after a while of putting his poetry skills on trial, started to write with a
declining style. The rhymes were not neat, and sometimes they were
incomplete, but they did their best to compete with the sweet
lines of other people. But we all know that
rhymes are not what the readers
are after. You want a deeper
meaning to the work you're
reading. So, with this I will
leave thee: This poem is a
piece about persisting to
write even when it's hard
and a piece about being
there for friends, and
most importantly, a
piece of me, and a
piece of her, both
of us instruments
for creating the outline of an instrument, her instrument.
Or, simply about explaining the poem and being a buzzkill.
Whatever the case,
I hope that whatever is bugging her, be it a buzz in her violin,
metaphoric or not, fades away just like the rhymes in this poem,
and gets replaced
with a smile.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:52 pm
rainforest says...

Just saw this and I absolutely love it. How did you format this?

Persistence says...

I made sure every line was the length it is while writing it. ^^

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:25 am
Sevro says...

This was so beautiful, CandyWizard. No matter what you end up doing in life, please never stop inspiring people. <3

Persistence says...

Thank you so much!! This really means a lot to me. ^^

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:04 am
EverStorm wrote a review...

Oh my gosh its in the shape of a violin. Brilliance on your part. I was wondering why there was a contrast in the line lengths.

First off, I'd like to say, that I really did like this poem. But I have a few concerns.

I love music, like really love it. But your poem was hard to get through because it didn't hook me. For some reason it feels a little forced because to me a violin doesn't mix with anger very well. Also, the rhyming scheme was good, but I feel like it hindered your poem. It didn't flow well because it was forced.

I liked your poem and it has great potential! I hope you keep fixing it up, because that's honestly my favorite part about writing! Editing is fun.

Great job,
Ever

Persistence says...

Ok, there are a trillion things I would like to comment on regarding your review. Trust me, it's not because you said anything that offended me or anything, I appreciate any feedback I am given, and I've had a ton of people thrash my work without me so much as thinking twice about it. But after what you just said, I have to give a sort of a "review" to your review. Nothing personal, I promise.

Ok, so, the great thing about poetry is that you can shape the sentences however you want, as long as they hold a logical meaning. Therefore, as long as the poem holds any logical value, no rhyme could ever be "forced". If that were the case, then 100% of the rhymes used by poets can be called forced.

Now, what you could have said was that it felt forced, just like in your previous usage of "forced". This would have stated that it is a personal opinion, and not a fact like the "because" implies.

That being said, right now I am listening to the Vienna Philharmonic New Year's concert. What I am hearing even now, not just in my thoughts as I was writing the poem, is that the music created by these instruments doesn't have a constant flow. Sometimes it gets slower, sometimes faster, or less or more intense, or fewer or more instruments, etc. Therefore, if you would notice, the sentences get longer and longer, I'll let you interpret for yourself what I wanted to achieve with that for yourself.

"Violin and anger does not go together". Yet another thing that's great about poetry is that you can pit things which usually don't go together together (how's that for repetitive language?).

Before I go into a rant that might be considered that it does not go well with a violin, I should try to end my "review's review".

You did not comment on the content at all beyond the anger thing. When reviewing poetry every single word potentially has a meaning, and sometimes meaning can be found even where the writer didn't intend it, so I'm sure it would have presented a lesser problem for you. However, because you didn't even bother to do it, I can claim with absolute certainty that your "review" is not a review at all.

Never mind its length, which in itself only makes this a nominal review.

A review should: state what you liked about the work, AND WHY. It should state what you didn't like about the work, AND WHY. Next, it should provide advice on how the work can be improved, since if you don't, everything you said goes down the water. After all, who are you to say if something should be improved if you don't know how to improve it yourself? Finally, it should, as a courtesy, provide encouragement for the writer to keep on writing, since it is the most coveted thing by all writers worldwide.

And lastly, something that's definitely personal: if you think I didn't edit this poem, and that it took anything less than many, many hours of my time, you are gravely mistaken. You didn't even notice most of the things I used in it, probably due to lack of experience, or skill acquired by experience, or just skill in general. Everyone spends time and effort into their work, well, except for you when you wrote this "review". The "Editing is fun" part was completely unnecessary and utterly insulting.

In conclusion to my own review, this is quite possibly the worst review I've ever got. It takes away everything positive about the act of reviewing. I usually tell people to have a nice day, but in this case, I shall restrain myself from doing so.

EverStorm says...

I'm sorry you felt that way. I was simply stating my opinion. I did say the poem FELT forced (reread my review. That's what I said.) and I told you why. I didn't think the rhyming improved the poem, and I told you so. I didn't think the way you mixed anger with a violin flowed very well. So there is my WHY I didn't like it. I realize that you can mix poetry with anything you want, mostly because I have written literally hundreds of poems. I know how long it takes to edit a poem, and I know you edited it. I edit everything before I post it. And frankly, if this poem hasn't been through at least twenty drafts, its not done.

Next, I'm not going to tell you how to fix it. I hate it when people tell me exactly how to write something that was my idea. So they can tell me what was wrong, but that doesn't mean I am going to write it the way they want it. So I refrain from doing that to other people.

If you think I don't take time on my reviews, then your wrong. I forced myself to finished your poem and I told you what I didn't like about it. Just because it was short doesn't mean I put thought into it. And I put "Editing is fun" as my own opinion. There was absolutely no reason for you to be offended by that except that your butt hurt that I told you your poem didn't flow well.

Have a nice day :)

Persistence says...

Hello. I was indeed "butt-hurt". and I am sorry I insulted you. I know that you must have spent time on your review, and I exaggerated it to knowingly offend you, something which is beneath me.

So, I take responsibility for what I said, and apologize for my demeaning language. I was not satisfied with your review, but I should have taken a less primitive approach to expressing myself.

It was a moment of insecurity, and I am sorry. You don't have to say anything, it's OK.

Have a nice day yourself.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:59 am
chhlovebooks wrote a review...

Dear CandyWizard,
I am amazed at the time and effort you must have put into this. Although the rhymes don't follow a specific pattern, and the language is repetitive in places (example: making a DARK stain on her soul, as DARK as coal), I admire how hard you have tried. As a fellow poetry writer, I know how hard it is to cut out pieces of poem or put new ones in just to fit a goal, which, in your case, is getting this to be in the shape of your friend's horrid instrument. It must have taken a great deal of work to make this turn out as well as it has, and a lot of trial, error, and formatting to make this such an awesome thing. I've only noticed one small thing that didn't make sense to me, and that is in the sentence, " both of us instruments
for creating the outline of an instrument, her instrument". Are you saying that you are both instruments or do you mean that you both use instruments and you just left a word or two out? Also, if you are both instruments, do you mean the tool kind of instrument or the musical kind? Sorry for all the questions, and Happy New year!

Persistence says...

Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to review my poem! I know it's not the easiest thing to review, since you don't see things like this every day, so thanks for putting in the effort.

As for the instrument thing, I meant that I and she, our personalities, our actions and conversations, served as figurative instruments for creating the outline of a literal instrument, the violin, an instrument which she happens to play, hence "her" instrument. (Yes, "her" instrument can also mean that I tried to outline that very instrument, that very object that she uses, the one with the actual buzz. In this case, however, it does not mean that). We have a tendency to only be comfortable with meanings that we encounter more commonly in our lives, and that's probably why you were confused by this. Don't worry, it happens to everyone.

Again, thank you for reviewing, and have a happy New Year yourself!

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham