The chaos children: pt 2

by Calibur

Here is pt 2 of the chaos children if you haven't read the first one then hurry up!

Canthor made his departure through a secret door in his castle fitted especially for his size. The dark skies and the barron ground he treaded on was his sick and twisted idea of an ideal world. Peasents and soldiers looked up at their towering king. His massive size demanded their respect and fear. His breaths were like thunder and his footsteps were like earthquakes. Canthor turned around looking for his rival brother but he was nowhere in sight.

"What is the meaning of this!" He yelled with frustration. His sensetive ears picked up a sound that awnsered all of the questions that was going through his mind.

It was the whistle of arrows ripping through the air. But ,other sounds filled his ears as well. It was the sound of flames whiping around that cought his attention.

In a split second a flaming arrow struck him in his shoulder. It was nothing more than a splinter to him but this kind of weapon could do massive damage to his army.

Soon after, the unmistakeable roar of battle covered up all of the other sounds of the kingdom.

"Well your army is here but where are you ... you coward." Canthor mumbled as he scanned the dark barron land for any sign of his brother.

"Your hearing isn't like it used to be." Said a mysterious voice that came out of nowhere.

"Who said that!?" Canthor yelled spinning around making sure no one could sneak up on him.

He could hear footsteps but could not see anyone. Suddenly something pushed him to the ground and started to beat him.. It was at that moment that he realized that his brother was invisible.

Canthor bared his sharp jagged teeth and beams of light started to seep through them. He opened his mouth and fire came rushing out delivering a powerfull impact that sent his brother flying. Once free of his brothers grasp he imediately leapt up off the ground. He kept his eyes peeled and his ears alert for the sound of his brother landing and the sight of dust flying. He saw a cloud of dust appear in the distance and he knew that was his brother. With a loud grunt he started to run extremely fast and lept off the ground with his powerfull legs. It almost seemed like he was flying through the air. He let out a roar as he landed and delivered a powerfull blow to the dust cloud but, he hit nothing more the dry rocky ground. His brother must have gotten up and ran again. This time canthor knew to be ready for anything.

"Come out you coward! You can't hide forever!"

"Very well I shant use my invisibility any more" A silver ape-like figure said as it came into sight.

"Agron?" Canthor said stunned in amazement.

"So father gave you the power of invisibility and stealth."

"Yes canthor ... and my bare hands are all I need to beat you!"

Agron leapt at Canthor and delivered two powerful blows to the chest. Sending him back to the ground. Agron grabbed Canthor by the throat attempting to choke him but his attempt failed.Canthor sent another blast of flames from his mouth but his brother stood his ground this time.

"I see father gave you the power of fire and strength. But aparently strength isn't enough to beat me it also takes brains ... brother!"

What Agron said only made Canthor more furious than he already was.

He managed to push Agron off of him and stood his ground so he could not be knocked down again.

Canthor let out a earth shattering roar as he formed blazing fire balls in the palms of his hands.

"Blood ... will be spilled today Agron ... and it shall be yours!" He said charging at his brother ready to kill.

Calibur says...

Thanks for the help you guys that is going to improve my story a lot.

J. Haux wrote a review...

Hi. First off, I'm going to say that this is a big step up from the first (official) post. It's more exciting. We still aren't clear on what's going on, but now the first makes a little more sense. I like it. :)

There are a few things I'll repeat and add. See how many times you use sound in this paragraph:

"What is the meaning of this!" He yelled with frustration. His sensetive <--(spelling?) ears picked up a sound that awnsered (<--typo, careful) all of the questions that was going through his mind.
It was the sound of arrows ripping through the air but other sounds filled his ears as well. It was the sound of flames whiping around that cought his attention.
In a split second a flaming arrow struck him in his shoulder it was nothing more than a splinter to him but this kind of weapon could do massive damage to his army.
Soon after, the unmistakeable roar of battle covered up all of the other sounds of the kingdom. [/i]

Most of these you could replace with more vivid synonyms, like the whistle of arrows, maybe, rather than sound. Toy with it a little. :D

Okay. Comma at the end. Said isn't capitalized. The following, unless a proper noun, is never capitalized. Unless it's a separate sentence: ' "Your hearing isn't like it used to be." Canthor turned around, searching for the source of the voice. ' I think there's a forum where you can learn a little about dialogue punctuation. You might want to check into it. It's a common mistake. :)

I'm not going to repeat what hekategirl and Lilac said, EXCEPT for: "Very well I shant use my invisibility any more" His brother said as a silver ape-like figure appeared right in front of him. (Dialogue punctuation speech repeated here, yes? :) )There are nine children, correct? Did Argon materialize as a silver ape beside Canthor, or did another of the children of Ultimate Chaos appear in front of him? Because your *chuckle* dialogue punctuation (I seem to be into that, don't I?) suggests the latter. See:

"So father gave you the power of invisibility and stealth." <--is it still Canthor speaking?

Keep it on the same line if it is.

"Argon?" Canthor said in stunned amazement. "So Father (that should be capitalized) gave you the power of invisibility and stealth."
"Yes Canthor (again, name capitalized. Be careful. I think it's a typo)...and my bare hands are all I need to beat you!"

I'm sure you've got some cool stuff thought out. The pause '...' may be a good opportunity to add some more description so we get full impact. Whee!

Lilac gave a good suggestion. I've had several good teachers tell me that as well. Get a break from it, and then see if you were as clear as you intended.

This is good, Calibur. Don't take offense to my nit-picking. It's what I do. :wink:
Very interesting. I'd like to read more. :D
~Jacquie~

Lilac_Wood wrote a review...

This draws me in more than the first part did. It's got me asking questions. Why are these brothers fighting? Who will win, and what will happen because of it? To me, though, there was some confusion in the word choice.

Example: "Out of nowhere canthor fell to the ground and was being beat."

Something else came from nowhere and knocked him to the ground, am I right? The way the sentence is written, it implies that Canthor appeared from nowhere and fell to the ground. You could change this to something more like, "Suddenly, something pushed Canthor to the ground and started beating him."

Also: "His brother said as a silver ape-like figure appeared right in front of him. "

Does the silver ape-like figure appear in front of Canthor's brother, or in front of Canthor? It's not as clear as it could be. If the figure appears in front of Canthor, you could just replace "him" with "Canthor" and that would make it perfectly clear.

Sometimes, just to make sure things are as clear as I hope for them to be, I'll lay a story aside for three or four days and then come back and reread it. After being away from it for that long, I've usually forgotten exactly what I meant by what I wrote. It helps me clear things up, anway.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:47 am
Calibur says...

I know i'm taking way too long to get to the point but i will get there in my next post and once again thanks for the advice.

hekategirl wrote a review...

You need more backround, for one thing I'm not even sure where they are! its pretty ovious when the battle starts but you need to explain where Cathor is going, you just say he's walking through a door. Maybe say it like this:

Canthor made his departure out a secret door in his castle fitted especially for his size.
He smelled the cool fragrence of the outside air as he set his feet on the soft lawn sitting before his castle. Peasents and soldiers looked up at their towering king. His massive size demanded their respect and fear. His breaths were like thunder and his footsteps were like earthquakes. Canthor turned around looking for his rival brother but he was nowhere in sight.

And you repeat the word 'Sound' WAY to many times in this part here:

In a split second a flaming arrow struck him in his shoulder it was nothing more than a splinter to him but it could do massive damage to his army.

And this makes me stop and go 'Huh?':

If the arrow hit Cathor how could it hurt his army? try saying something like this:

In a split second a flaming arrow struck him in his shoulder it was nothing more than a splinter to him but wepons like these could do serious harm to his army.

And in the sedond part you use this: 'His ears alert' and 'His eyes peeled' way to much, try using diffrent comparisions.

You need to give us more information, you're already in the first chapter and I don't really unterstand what is the point of this story. And the plot, I can't find one! you need to give us more, you are a good writer but your just not telling us what we need to know to be intrested. Both parts also seemed repetitive to me, when Cathor is trying to see Agron, you keep saying, 'No one' over and over again. And you seem to repeating the same fact over and over again too; That Cathor hears some one but can't see him. And remember names, places, streets etc. etc the first letter is capitilized. You don't capitilize Cathor's name for a while in the second part. Keep working on it! a good point though, the title is nice, I don't know why I like it but I like it.

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith