z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Not Bothering to Zip up My Jacket

by CocoaCat


It was bright, warm and overly crowded in the icerink's bleachers.

I was having trouble breathing with all the people surrounding me.

It didn't help that I had to fold myslef forward to avoid the knee of someone behind me.

The smallest group of skaters were, again, falling down while they tried to go in a circle.

On a different day, I might say that the skaters were adorable. But I was incredibly squished by the people around me, and I wasn't in a good mood right now.

I would just try to last a couple more minutes, and then head outdoors right before the intermission. Outdoors, I could breathe. In here, not so much.

The skaters posed at the end of their "performance" and before anyone could swarm around me, I got up and bolted for the lobby, where I then located the exit.

When I got outside, I took in a deep breathe of the fresh night air, and seeing the inky sky, I realized just how wierd the weather had been lately. It was March, and technically winter; but here, it was more like spring. The weather said spring, but the rise and fall of the sun and moon said winter. Mother nature was indecicive this year.

It was also lonely outside. The cool air made it's way into my jacket through the open zipper, which I left open, so I could cool off.

The bakery across the road had a Canada flag, and in the silence, I could here it flap in the breeze.

Leaves ruselled in the wind in the distance. It was quiet, but loud.

I ditched the icerink and took a walk around town, not bothering to zip up my jacket.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:58 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

It was bright, warm and overly crowded in the icerink's bleachers.

I was having trouble breathing with all the people surrounding me.

It didn't help that I had to fold myslef forward to avoid the knee of someone behind me.

The smallest group of skaters were, again, falling down while they tried to go in a circle.

On a different day, I might say that the skaters were adorable. But I was incredibly squished by the people around me, and I wasn't in a good mood right now.

I would just try to last a couple more minutes, and then head outdoors right before the intermission. Outdoors, I could breathe. In here, not so much.


Okay...this is a pretty intriguing start. Its a nice bit of a setting getting established I think. You sort of build up this little bit of atmosphere around this person and the position that they happen to be in and it is intriguing enough that as a reader you do get drawn into things a little bit and find yourself wanting to know what is going on there.

The skaters posed at the end of their "performance" and before anyone could swarm around me, I got up and bolted for the lobby, where I then located the exit.

When I got outside, I took in a deep breathe of the fresh night air, and seeing the inky sky, I realized just how wierd the weather had been lately. It was March, and technically winter; but here, it was more like spring. The weather said spring, but the rise and fall of the sun and moon said winter. Mother nature was indecicive this year.


Things taking a slight turn there. We started on what seemed like a lot more of a personal note for this character where they are simply just thinking of this place and their own thoughts, but we switch now to the weather and about how it is being a bit unusual. I don't quite know the effect you're going for with that particular change of tone, but it is proving to be interesting so far.

It was also lonely outside. The cool air made it's way into my jacket through the open zipper, which I left open, so I could cool off.

The bakery across the road had a Canada flag, and in the silence, I could here it flap in the breeze.

Leaves ruselled in the wind in the distance. It was quiet, but loud.

I ditched the icerink and took a walk around town, not bothering to zip up my jacket.


Okayy, with the way this started, I was expecting that last line to have a bit more....meaning I guess. This just feels like a regular ol' scene that just reached a gradual end. I feel like its missing a bit of something here as it stands. It ends on a decent note, but I feel like in the end barely anything actually happens and the promise it showed at the start goes missing for a bit. Overall, not a bad piece, but I think it needs a bit of a rethink here in terms of what you want to convey.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:47 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, Caitlin! I've gotta make this one short, so... :D Let's start!

1) "It didn't help that I had to fold myslef forward" I'm sure it's a typo, but "myslef" should be "myself."

2) "I realized just how wierd the weather had been lately." The same deal here... e before i in "weird."

3) Your description is nice here, but I don't really see the point of this short story. Was it just a little section about the character's life? What goal did it accomplish? What were you trying to achieve with this? If there really isn't any purpose, consider adding one.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I have to go. Keep writing, Caitlin!

XOX,
Lupa22




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:52 pm
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey! Shey! Review!

I liked this story a lot, so I'm gonna review it. Sacredlege beat me to the major stuff, so I guess I'll just point out some typos and grammatical errors.

It was bright, warm and overly crowded in the icerink's...

There should be another comma after warm, to make
"It was bright, warm, and overly crowded in the icerink's ..."

Later, you wrote "myslef." This is a simple typo that you must be missed, so I figured I should just point it out.

I realized just how wierd the weather...


Another typo, probably. Wierd should be weird.

Ooh, here's something that isn't just a grammatical correction.
It was quiet, but loud.

This is a paradoxical statement, and I won't say that such a contradictory sentence shouldn't be in a story because it makes no sense, but rather you should elaborate. Explain how quiet leaves were loud. Was it because the world was silent? Give the reader more info on that.

At the end, you call the flag a Canada flag. A simple fix; I'd call it a Canadian flag, just cause that's technically what you're supposed to call it. A question; does this take place in Canada? If it does, then the narrator specifying what type of flag makes it unnatural. They would surely have seen these flags all the time, and there attention wouldn't be drawn to it. It's for this reason I imagine this to take place in America. If you were attempting to use the flag as a way of saying this takes place in Canada, it did the opposite, so I'd suggest a different way of doing so.

That's all I got. Overall, nice story! I hope I wasn't too nitpicky. I had to be nitpicky only because it was a good story with little to comment on. Anyhow, great job. I look forward to seeing your works in the future!

-Sheyren




User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:49 pm
Sujana wrote a review...



How very scenic. I'm not exactly a structuralist, so I don't demand that all my stories have a deeper meaning to them, but I did find this text somewhat futile. I wasn't sure why I was reading it when I began, and none of my questions were answered by the ending.

With that said, it's primary function (at least in my opinion) worked out well enough. I can see that it wanted to characterize a moment more than it wanted to tell a story--a description of a polished scene, relating more to stress and social anxiety, while also painting something beautifully alone in the distance. Maybe it's just because I recently logged into Tumblr (hey, don't judge me), but it might've given me more than a few flashbacks to Yuri on Ice.

I liked how you made the environment feel like a person of some sort. Mother Nature being indecisive is a common attribute, but something about how you described it made it feel a little more special. It was probably the capricious nature of the description, but that's probably me. And I could easily imagine being up in those bleachers, squashed and tired and more than a little ready to punch the next person to touch me in the face.

One thing that could've added more personality to the overall story might be a little character development. Why is the main character there? Where are they going? Why are they invested in skaters? Little things like that don't have to take up the whole thing, but it does give the story an easier flow, and even poetry needs a bit of character motivation to make it all feel organic and well.

Speaking of poetry, more poetic talk would be great here. Works like these are usually eye candy, so it's a shame that there are only a couple of imaginitive lines here and there. A bit more personifications (you could say the Canadian flag danced in the breeze, though admittedly thats a little cliche), maybe some alliterations, flowery metaphors packed with a lot of meaning, and voila, you have an enjoying story to read.

But that's just me. Hope this helped, and feel free to ask any question if you'd like.

Cheers,
Elliot.





Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain