z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language

The Daily Thoughts of a Bassoonist

by mephistophelesangel


* Please note that this isn't meant to be taken completely seriously.


I am not an oboe. 

I am not an oboe. 

I am not a -beep- ing oboe. 

I could show you -

What?

What are you doing?

What do you think you are doing?

Get your -beep- ing hands off.

Don't shake the bocal. 

Good.

Back to the previous topic. 

An oboe is-

"Can the baboon play this section - Oh, my apologies, bassoon."

No reflection on the actual player, of course.

Whatever. 

I have heard it all. 

Bazooka,

Basin,

Sticks,

Duck -"Hey, quack quack!"-,

Whatever.

Now, an oboe-

SHUT UP, TROMBONES!

Cough, alright. An oboe-

Oh, damn it.

The reed broke. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:16 pm
View Likes
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello CapitalMonday here for review. i like to begin how this made my day also my sister gave me that wired look when you laugh at something random and everyone looks at you as if you are on drugs? Anyway, she gave me that look but i still continued to laugh. Back on topic to what i am here for... Right, the review *serious face*.. i like the way you made this as if someone was interrupting you and that it what makes it funny! Also there is tone of laughter or trying to make a point or something like that.

Whenever i read something like a poem or anything close to one, i try to pick out bits or pieces of the specific that would needed to be fixed. yet some poems don't need anything to be fixed with them (sometimes poems do and i try to help them).. however, this poem that i have read and laughed, has nothing wrong to it. From what i have read from the reviews, i would assume that you have fixed everything.

I showed my sister this poem and she didn't get it.. i about laughed since she is in band and she punched me in my arm. Anyway, i hope you continue writing these wonderful poems.

Farewell,
CapitalMonday




User avatar
207 Reviews


Points: 2577
Reviews: 207

Donate
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 am
Rin321 says...



This was very- interesting! I am guessing you play the bassoon! I play percussion, so I can relate- sort of. The end was very funny. I feel though, some of it does not make sense, but is just may be me... anyway, good job, but in the future, I would just do something that was a little more clearer! Still good!




User avatar
207 Reviews


Points: 2577
Reviews: 207

Donate
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:11 am
Rin321 says...



This was very- interesting! I am guessing you play the bassoon! I play percussion, so I can relate- sort of. The end was very funny. I feel though, some of it does not make sense, but is just may be me... anyway, good job, but in the future, I would just do something that was a little more clearer! Still good!




User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:40 am
Ventomology wrote a review...



Oh my god. I cannot tell you how happy I am to see this. I don't often review poetry, but because my best friend is a bassoonist (which makes me an expert on their complaining habits), this is might just be up my alley.

First of all, I am curious why you bolded the "beeps". It's an odd way to format the covering-up of curses.

Also, this line:

No reflection on the actual player, of course
It bothers me. A lot. I believe it is because this seems to disrupt the flow, and the way it should be said is not immediately obvious. The sarcasm simply didn't connect as I read it, and sarcasm is one of those things that needs to be obvious. (Symbolism, not so much. I wrote a poem about stuff in my closet, and whether someone realized it was a big metaphor or not, they would have read it the same way.) You may want to format the line differently, or put "of course" on its own line. Either way, that should get your point across.

In the line directly above that, I think that it would not hurt for the first part of the phrase to actually have a question mark and still be amended in the same line. Your audience already knows that this is all together, and the question will be read better if the reader sees a question mark. (Because, like in music, we actually read ahead slightly as we speak out loud from text.)

On other notes, I love the repeating part about the oboe. It ties the whole piece together very nicely, and is something I have noticed my friend continually trying to explain. The statement about trombones is also nice. (I play trombone. I know we're annoying. It's all done on purpose, I promise.)

Lastly, the ending is perfect! It is the climax of the bassoonist's frustration, and effectively ends the conversation in this poem.

I enjoyed this piece a lot! I get that it's not meant to be taken so seriously, but as a band student, it is something that I relate to incredibly well. (I'm not sure there's a way to make this as funny to anyone who does not know a bassoonist, though.)

Thanks for the laughs!
-Buggie




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 65
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:24 am
QuentintheSad wrote a review...



The last line evoked a chuckle from me. I know quite a few band-geeks, who only talk about band. I feel like this poem is one of the few humorous "band jokes" that constitute the language of band people.

Biases and stereotypes aside:
The formlessness of the poem doesn't detract from it as the style is not the focus. The movement of the piece is really what brings it to life. Each line carries it along with spontaneity, but also with clear intentionality, to the climax, which as I said before, is quite amusing. My only beef is the censoring of the words with "beep," I just hate euphemisms. In context, it means the same thing as the "swear word," so just say it. I'm not saying that that is what you are doing, but generally speaking, that is what I think. Good job with this poem.




Random avatar

Points: 1438
Reviews: 139

Donate
Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:34 am
deleted21 says...



Oh dear.. Would it be very very hard for you to make me understand this poem? Please? Like, i'm not getting the poem, you know. My bad, of course my bad. So Plesaseeee? Again? Pllllleeeaaassseee?? :)




BrumalHunter says...


It's an orchestral joke. Only musicians will get it.


Random avatar
deleted21 says...


oh.




"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon