12+

The Chronicles of a Public Bus (part 3.23)

by Ventomology

Wednesday, 14:55, off-route

Martin doubles over as he steps onto the bus. Everything smells acrid and brown, like the P.E. locker rooms but a thousand times worse. A duo of police officers block up the aisle, each one with a hand raised to pinch his nose.

“Holy,” Divinity breathes. She is right behind Martin, trying to look past him despite his enormity, and she is too close for comfort. “This place looks and smells like a natural disaster. Do you think Willow ripped up these seats?”

“At least try to act professional, Divinity,” Martin hisses. Then he smiles, not bothering to hide his teeth, and closes in on the officers. He isn’t too much taller than them, but his presence is large enough that the police turn to him shortly. They wear identical frowns of annoyance, but hints of discomfort tame them into silence.

“Um,” says the officer on the left, “you two aren’t supposed to be here. I know you’re Stevenson’s boy and all, but that doesn’t exactly give you access to crime scenes.”

“I know,” says Martin. He is solemn and hoping to high heaven that the officers do not see Divinity smirking at his attempts at passive intimidation. He knows he’s tall, and he has his mouth slightly open for a reason. “We forgot to take our friend’s bag with us when we evacuated and were hoping to get it back. She’s the one with the broken wrist and dislocated arm.”

Divinity pops out on Martin’s side, and the officers step back, surprised. “Her name is Willow Lin,” Divinity offers, “in case you need to know for the reports or whatever.”

“Oh my god, Divinity,” Martin groans. He tries to wave her away, preferably off the bus, so he can get things done, but she ducks under his arm and prances across the field of felled seats. After spending a second glaring at her, he looks back to the officers and gives an apologetic shrug. “Sorry about her. We’re honestly just here for Willow’s things.”

The officers look dubious. Both cross their arms and look to each other for silent confirmation of their suspicions, and they nod.

“We’ll bring your friend’s things off the bus for you,” says the man on the right, “so you two can leave.”

Martin is about to nod when he notices Divinity creeping further away. She is hunched in that cheesy snooping villain pose, fingers wiggling, itching to snatch up something interesting. If only she could be happy with pictures on a smartphone like everyone else. Then, as if she can sense him watching, she lifts a finger to her lips and grins.

“But sirs,” Martin finds himself saying, “her backpack is right there. I can see it.” He points to a pastel teal sliver poking out between the seats on the right and assumes that’s the right bag. The police turn to look, and without threat of them noticing her, Divinity races to the pile of dismembered seats in the back of the bus. Martin feels a flutter of guilt in his stomach.

The rightmost officer huffs and drags the backpack into the aisle. “You’re sure this is the one?” he asks.

It’s definitely Willow’s. Only she would have a bag drowning in zippers. Nodding, Martin steps forward, a hand outstretched.

“It’s pretty heavy,” the officer says. “Be careful when you-

“Hey!”

Martin starts, and Willow’s backpack thuds on the floor. It is much too close to the puddle of other things Willow left behind after her fight, and Martin hopes Divinity will bring the backpack out, because he never wants to smell that bag again.

Actually, Divinity probably won’t be allowed to touch anything else on this bus, backpack included. She is crouching near the torn up seats, tugging on something and muttering about people sticking their noses where they shouldn’t. The police crowd around her, shouting and jostling each other.

“Miss, you are tampering with evidence-

“We will have to ask you to leave-

“Stevenson’s boy has your friend’s backpack, so-

As if neither officer is there, Divinity pulls out whatever she was picking at and licks her lips. Her prize is two slips of paper with sticky pink residue dirtying the corners.

Martin hangs his head and wishes he’d never met this girl.

“Honestly, sirs,” Divinity says, “it’s just some paper under someone’s gum. I was like, wow, don’t people usually use the paper to hide their gum and not the other way around? So I thought, I bet it’s some nasty school gossip. Maybe I should take a look, in case it’s about someone I know.”

The officers award her with twin withering stares for her detective skills.

“I mean, I could see the writing on the paper already. It wasn’t like I was just hoping for something.”

Martin glances outside and prays for Drake to come and save him, but the only people headed for the bus are two more police officers.

Dodging a swipe, Divinity holds up the papers and fits them together. A dastardly smile lifts her cheeks, and she scans the paper for a name she knows.

She finds something in the first line; the paper is a note addressed to old Mr. Talisman.

“My friend, Monsieur Talisman,” Divinity reads. She pauses and ducks under the reaching arms of the officers. “I wonder why they wrote ‘Monsieur?’”

“Maybe you should just give the officers the papers,” Martin retorts.

“Enclosed is the list of ingredients I require, plus a fee to compensate for my time and knowledge. One: three small peaches. Two: three golden delicious apples”—here Divinity twirls around Martin, holding the papers up to his nose to keep them from the police—“I think number three is a pound of butter, can you check that, Marty?”

Martin shoves her away and pinches his nose. “I am taking Willow’s bag and getting out,” he grumbles, stretching a hand toward Willow’s backpack.

“Oh, don’t be like—stop that!” Like a mother admonishing her children, Divinity clucks her tongue and shakes a finger at the officers. “This is a recipe, not some perpetrator’s admission of guilt. No need to be so strict.”

“You’re tampering with evidence,” the officers say, though not at the same time.

“I’m digging up embarrassing and harmless dirt on a local celebrity, which I highly doubt is crucial to your investigation,” Divinity counters. “Apparently he can’t cook for himself, if this is any indication. Let’s see what else is on here. Flour, sugar, cinnamon, buckthorn, vampire blo-wait, for real? Vampire blood?”

Martin drops Willow’s backpack, and this time it lands in the puddle of nastiness, and something wet splashes onto Martin’s shoe. He is going to be smelling bile for days. The officers gawp, frozen in uncomfortable, awkward swiping poses.

“Okay…” Divinity says. “So there’s the vampire blood, and then mercury sulfide, some kind of mushroom I’m pretty sure is a hallucinogen, and hey! An item from a dragon’s hoard.”

All eyes turn to the dented red sports car in the parking lot outside. It is surrounded by police cars still, but the driver is being manhandled into a set of handcuffs, and the curious crowd from the bus is beginning to disperse.

“Wow, convenient,” Divinity muses.

“No duh,” Martin says. “I can’t believe you just accidentally solved this whole thing because you wanted to dig up gossip you weren’t even sure would be useful.”

Divinity and the officers switch targets and stare at Martin instead, all of them confused.

“What do you mean I solved this whole thing?” Divinity asks. “I thought we’d already solved most of it. We knew from that phone call he that he wanted Drake’s chessboard.”

“Yeah, but this is what we were missing,” Martin argues. He jabs a finger towards the papers, and his mouth almost curls into a smile. “We needed to know what Mr. Talisman would need that chessboard for, and you have it right there. He was trying a recipe for immortality.”

Crossing her arms, Divinity purses her lips. “That was obvious the moment I saw ‘mercury sulfide’ on the list, but we still need to know why Mr. Talisman would want immortality. And before you say anything, Martin, I don’t think fear of death or aging is the answer we’re looking for.”

“The answer has been in the news all week, Divinity! He sold his estate, and all the powerful creatures came back. Remember? We even checked city records in the library, and the purchase of the Talisman estate coincided with the last spirit sighting for nearly a century.” Martin’s hands turn to fists at his sides, and his voice grows with the excitement of solving a mystery. “Mr. Talisman wanted immortality so he could keep the estate in the family forever, so he could continue keeping Franklin City safe from the more dangerous powerful folk and creatures. Forever.”

The officers are still gawping. Maybe they feel like they’ve had their jobs stolen, or maybe they are wondering where Mr. Stevenson’s son got his brains.

Divinity just rolls her eyes, and the officers’ jaws drop even further.

“If that was all there was, why’d he give up?” she asks. “Did he wake up one day and suddenly realize there were more cons to staying wrinkly for a hundred more years than there were pros?”

“He gave up because the elixir was meant for Marcy Talisman, and she died.”

Silence crashes in after Martin’s statement. The police do not want to break into the mystery chit chat, and Martin thinks he has won, but Divinity is still finding holes.

She licks her lips and holds up her index finger. “So let me get this straight. Mr. Talisman hired the blondie with the leopard coat to steal Drake’s chessboard, which she did successfully. However, when the intended recipient of the fruit pie of immortality died, Mr. Talisman no longer needed the chessboard, resulting in the rude call we overheard when Mr. Talisman lost his phone.”

Martin nods and inches away from Willow’s backpack and the other thing.

“At the same time, Drake’s angry grandpa sent a supervillain with invisibility to retrieve the chessboard.” Divinity looks to the police and lifts her eyebrows. “The guy in the car was a supervillain, right? I’m not wrong about this part?”

The officers nod with slow caution, and Divinity takes their confirmation as a cue to continue.

“This results in a bunch of other blondes getting run over by an invisible car until eventually, the target blonde is hit. By this point, the villain is so overcome by his own powers that he forgets to stop running over blonde girls, and we caught him just before he attempted to kill Marie.”

The mention of that event makes Martin’s bruises smart, and he shudders. “In addition to all this, Mr. Talisman sold his estate, effectively ending the confinement of all those powerful creatures his family had sought to contain. I think that sums everything up.”

“Um,” one of the officers stammers. His voice is a squeaky tenor, though the squeak may be a temporary thing. “What happened to the dragon’s chessboard in the end?

Flicking a lock of hair over her shoulder, Divinity shrugs. “The thief sold it to someone else, if I remember correctly. You’d have to ask her ghost.” She extends a hand towards the police, offering them the papers as if it were an afterthought. “By the way, do you guys want these now? I guess they are kind of important.”

Martin scowls in exasperation. “No, duh.”

Holysocks wrote a review...

Hey there! I haven't read previous parts, so please bear with me.

I like the atmosphere of this novel. You give us a pretty good image of what's going on for the most part and I like that it's like a cross between urban fantasy and a mystery-- or at least this chapter felt like it. Mind you I'm just guessing at what Urban Fantasy is, so who knows- but the mix has a nice feel about it, is what I'm trying to say. I don't know what it is, but something just felt super fun about this!

He knows he’s tall, and he has his mouth slightly open for a reason.

I thought this was a little odd. When I think of someone with their mouth "slightly open" I don't think "wow that's super intimidating" but rather "hmm, he must be somewhere else..." It's not a particularly intelligent looking expression- or that's what I've found, so I thought it was an odd choice for Martin trying to use as "intimidation". Maybe you were being sarcastic? Or trying to say that he was failing at looking intimidating despite is size?

Both cross their arms and look to each other for silent confirmation of their suspicions, and they nod.

So lately I've been spending a lot of time with cops, paramedics, firemen- the works. And the thing is, most of them are just people- I mean, there isn't some secret cop-rule that they have to follow and if they cross it they're out... what I'm trying to say is I'd like to see more original cops by people. These police officer's dialogue with the characters and everything is a bit overdone (not trying to be rude). Also, if a police officer decides that they don't want you somewhere, best wishes trying to get there- they don't just use their words... honestly I could see one of them just picking Divinity up and plopping her down beside Martin. Remember, it's their job to do what they're doing, and they've dealt with a LOT worse than a couple of teenagers trying to snoop at a crime scene.

“Miss, you are tampering with evidence-

This is an example of overdone police-talk! :P Honestly, it really depends on the police officer- try to focus on that, the police officer. I know a cop that would be joking the WHOLE time, and I know another who would be as quiet as a mouse until he was absolutely needed. So really think about your cop and how he/she/they would speak/react. They might say something like "Alright, out of there please, you don't need to be back there" or "Hey, you don't need to be back there- over here with your friend. Thank you." Police officers are individual people and they're generally pretty good at what they do. Anyways, just some thoughts! c:

So I just wanted to comment on your POV vs your tense. Third person vs present tense has always felt kind of awkward to me. I know this is really far in your novel so I'm not at all suggesting you change it, I just wanted to comment on it so you have something to think about for future works. Third person and present tense together, to me, make it feel more like a script than a novel "Anne sits by the bay doors. She sips the coffee. Jason enters left-stage." I mean, it takes some getting used to. that's just something to think about is all!

Silence crashes in after Martin’s statement.

I always try to find something to make the "silence" statement flow better, as well. But honestly when we try to add more to "everyone fell silent" it just makes it feel more bulky. I mean, if you find a creative way to say "and then there was silence" let me know, but so far it seems that adding verbs doesn't really help (I'm right with you here, I've tried so many things to make that statement more interesting!). Why adding those verbs doesn't seem to do the trick for me is because it sort of half-personifies silence, but just briefly, so it's like not a full thought and it falls short...? I hope that makes some sense.

Anyways, interesting story! I like Divinity's personality! She's kind of just doing her own thing and doesn't really seem to care about everything else around her. Also I thought you did a great job of your "the pieces fit now" scene! I mean, I haven't read this before so I don't know how it worked with the rest of the novel, but it flowed nicely and it was actually kind of interesting- which is generally my biggest complaint with "reveal" scenes! So awesome job!

Keep it up!

-Socks

Ventomology says...

Ahh, Martin's a vampire. And you're definitely right about the cops. I suppose I just don't have much experience with them (which is probably a good thing except I don't have a clue about how they work).

Unfortunately I'm trying to give this piece some breathing time, so I probably won't fix anything until I get to rewriting. I'll keep your cop comment in mind though!

Thanks for the excellent review!

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:30 am
DragonWriter22 wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm back to give you another review!

Okay, first I'll discuss the stuff you did well:

The actual writing was done very well. The dialogue flowed smoothly as did the rest of it and you used the perfect amount of descriptions to let me clearly see the scene without feeling like the information was being dumped on me. Even though this wasn't an intense fighting scene like last time, it was still very engaging and explained a lot that I missed from not following the story from the very beginning. There was only one part that I felt sounded a bit off, but I'll get to that later.

Another thing I really liked was the clearly defined characters. In stories it can be easy to make characters blend together with little variety, but you have managed to avoid that very well. Your characters are diverse and unique in personality and are a lot of fun to get to know. Divinity is hilarious!

Alright, now onto the parts that could have been better:

The first thing is fairly minor and mostly involves confusion as to why Martin kept dropping Willow's backpack. He dropped it at least twice and at first I didn't feel there needed to be a reason cause it could have been an accident, but by the second time it happened it felt like there needed to be a reason since it was happening a bit more frequently than to be an accident. Is Martin just very clumsy (if so, ignore this because that's something the reader would already know from previous parts), is Willow's bag slippery, or is it something else? Anyway, minor detail. Not that important, but was a bit distracting to me.

There was also one line that I feel could have been worded better.

Silence crashes in after Martin’s statement. The police do not want to break into the mystery chit-chat, Martin thinks he has won, and Divinity is still finding holes.

I feel like this could have been done a bit more smoothly. The first sentence should probably be reworded and then the 2nd sentence might work better broken up differently. Something like:

"All is silent after Martin's statement. The police do not want to break into the mystery chit-chat and Martin thinks he has won, but Divinity is still finding holes."

Finally, while I liked how much this part explained since I'd missed a lot, the explaining felt a tad bit forced. Like it was being done more for the benefit of the reader than how the characters would actually reason it out. That is a bit difficult to fix however, and I'm finding there's a part of me that likes how it was done here because it reminds me of how classic mystery novels end, with everything being pieced together and explained.

Anyway, I hope this review has been helpful. Keep up the good work!

Ventomology says...

I suppose you wouldn't know, since you just got here, but the whole story is a little cheesy when it comes to the mystery. I have fixed that little wording detail though.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines