z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Quest to a Mountain

by Brownbomd


TO READER:

I need help with punctuation, grammar, and diction (overall improvement needed). Please  read this, I just spat it out my mind it's for a grade and I want to improve,

Thank you, read on.

Centuries ago, a husband, wife, child, and slave pioneered to the oak-covered Appalachian peaks that belonged to the Cherokee Nation. Building a small hearth-warmed log cabin; the family was content. They were safe from the wild’s critters and warriors within their home. One day, the Indians lured the man from the home and into the encroaching woods where the Indians then slaughtered him. But, unbeknownst to the Indians, their prey was a notorious Colonel, a leader of devoted soldiers. And he was revenged thoroughly, blood for blood. The juice of humans was not spilt for nothing, for after the battle other settlers came to the area and settled Morristown, which evolved into Asheville. The town has grown immensely since then, with a state University and hypnotic drum circle, breeding grounds for hippies. My story starts in the latter.

Leather being beaten with hands, spoons, fists, and foreheads; the leather, wrapped tightly around a wooden base and secured down with fraying string, from either use, or as an aesthetic. The banging of this top-most leather, results in an earthy rumble emitted from the vibrations, a drum. And knocking these drums all around us, were the Asheville natives. Amongst the belligerent babbling drummers and long-haired-everywhere dancers, dykes, and fairies, stood my company and me. We were enveloped in the fumes rising from the entertainers, or so they thought they were, was a mixture of sweat, pale ale, and mountain air; it was like thrusting your nostrils into the hair of Cherokee matriarch.

It was invigorating, the cool mountain air and the rumbling of the drums awoke in me a spirit that lived only until the end of that weekend. And this spirit wanted to leave the drum circle and find shelter in the University of Asheville. So, I made the executive decision to move our caravan to the mountainous safe-zone. I wanted to gather the party, but I noticed a missing member, Noah Arita! My eyes searched furiously for my best-friend, it seemed as if he had been absorbed into the mutating limbs of the cloud of dancing hippies. I panned left, right, then left again and spied him; locked arm-in-arm with a swirling monk-like figure that was sprinting around in circles ever faster. Grabbing the boomeranging boy, we dashed off to the car and headed for the University.

Up, up, up we road, road the road that we were told by the GPS. Ensnared with primitive desire for senseless fun, the two of us parked, jumped from the vehicle, and then sprinted to Noah’s step brother’s dorm and met up with him. We huffed, puffed, and expelled stank breath onto him, Roger, and divulging the events that had transpired. He thought it was an average night at Asheville so he, called an Uber. I, not knowing exactly where our quest would soon take us, posed the question, “Where are we going, Roger?” His reply: a sly white-toothed grin and a wink. Approximately five minutes of greetings ensued, that being my first time meeting the man, followed by a honk of the black sedan that had arrived, probably five minutes before.

The seats inside: bountifully bouncy leather, the woman driver: nothing, practically mute, her hair was the only thing I remember, it being dark and slick enough to consume the sun, smelled of patchouli.

Patchouli, the scent of immigrants and hippies since the ‘60s: pungent, powerful, and groovy. Along those lines, that’s how the house-show went to the point. The aroma of hippy stench and Brut deodorant attacked my olfactory senses like an ambush in Vietnam! The scent swooshed off everyone, it was like the plague; everyone had it, and pretended they didn’t. The energy in the basement of this house was electrifying, my arms and legs could not keep up with the influx of punk-rock hysterical tunes that were bellowed from the stage that sat like a pedestal in the basement. Small talk, big talk, political talk, it’s all the same there, there’s punches being thrown and punch being drank. The grime and sludge that was carried in from the bottoms of our sneakers was sleeping vacant in a putrescent puddle right in front of the stage, it was a small buoy between the fanatic listeners and the anti-establishment Bernie-loving band, an oxymoron to everyone except themselves. Besides all the hippy-dippy bellbottom pants and the flowing dress shirts, there was an exotic variety of colorful fashion that spoke as much about the lifestyle of Asheville as it did about the wearer. There would not be just a man wearing a red shirt, it would be a half-man half-donkey wearing a flowing, rose, zigzag-pattern shirt that he found at a Goodwill just hours prior to arriving at the party. His name, unknown, his movements were surely not.

The basement gig was busted after two hours, cops came, then people dressed as cops came, the whole party was done after that. So our fellowship of the mountains moved back to the dorm room, along with a handful of lucky cowgirls who just so happened to be lassoed into our extravagant frivolous aura. Old party gone; and in its place anew, another now existed, it entailed: my best friend, his step brother, three ladies, scrambled eggs on the side, and myself. We were telling stories all around and the originals spoke to the newcomers in pairs, until the entire room was just pairs of people laughing and flirting. The night soon ended and all of us had a grand old time, the true heroes, however, were not present.

Time passes, memories are made, but those are pricey. The lives lost in battles with Cherokee Indians were the cost; memories were the item.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 342
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 pm
Brownbomd says...



Thanks everyone, for providing helpful feedback. This was a school essay and it goes to show I have room to improve on my writing, to say the least. I will be posting some better things to come. And this essay has been improved, I'm not sure how to show them, unless I repost it, which I might.
Thanks again,
Aaron




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Heya, Brownbomd! Lupa for a shiny review! :D Let's begin...

1) "But, unbeknownst to the Indians, their prey was a notorious Colonel, a leader of devoted soldiers. And he was revenged thoroughly, blood for blood." Here, I feel like you could connect these two sentences with a comma. The second has a bit of a tacked-on feeling that doesn't help the flow.

2) "it was like thrusting your nostrils into the hair of Cherokee matriarch." This clause right here carried a lot of awkwardness with it. Your use of the word nostrils wasn't needed; you could have just put "nose" instead. In addition, why would anyone want to "thrust" their nose into someone else's hair? It doesn't make very much sense to me.

3) "Up, up, up we road, road the road that we were told by the GPS." This sentence makes zero sense. I think you mean, "Up, up, up we rode, rode the road that we were told by the GPS." That's WAY too many roads / rodes for it to be comfortable to read.

4) Overall, your story was pretty confusing to read. I didn't exactly get what was happening. You swamped most of it with a lot of description and not a fair amount of plot. All in all, this piece didn't achieve much. I want to know what you were getting at here.

Your descriptions were beautiful, but your plot needs some work. However, this was a good read. I would love to see more of your work soon. If I was too harsh or severe in this review, send me a PM and tell me about it. :) Keep writing!

XOX,
Lupa22




User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:17 pm
View Likes
inktopus wrote a review...



Hi, Brownbomd! Storm's here to do a review, so let's jump right into this.

You begin with a very typical first sentence. I'm not the biggest fan of sentences like these, especially considering that this one is just an info dump. It's not a dealbreaker but it's not particularly interesting either.

Building a small hearth-warmed log cabin; the family was content.

Right here you should use a comma rather than a semicolon. I wouldn't usually point out grammar mistakes, but you asked, so I am delivering. As a general rule, when you use semicolons, you want to make sure that there is a complete sentence on either side of the semicolon.

The juice of humans was not spilt for nothing, for after the battle other settlers came to the area and settled Morristown, which evolved into Asheville.

Ugh. This was unnecessarily disgusting. I'm not sure if you wanted to evoke a feeling of disgust from the reader, but please, please, please change this line of the sake of future readers.

Leather being beaten with hands, spoons, fists, and foreheads; the leather, wrapped tightly around a wooden base and secured down with fraying string, from either use, or as an aesthetic.

Again with the semicolons. Both sentences aren't sentences, they're fragments but I wouldn't actually change the semicolon to a comma this time. You should probably just rework this entire bit.

Amongst the belligerent babbling drummers and long-haired-everywhere dancers, dykes, and fairies, stood my company and me

Was there a reason that you used dykes and fairies? Those 2 words are widely considered to be derogatory so I would not recommend to use words like that in a composition for a class without a very good reason.

We were enveloped in the fumes rising from the entertainers, or so they thought they were, was a mixture of sweat, pale ale, and mountain air; it was like thrusting your nostrils into the hair of Cherokee matriarch.

The first part doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You may just want to make that first half into 2 sentences.

I panned left, right, then left again and spied him; locked arm-in-arm with a swirling monk-like figure that was sprinting around in circles ever faster.

Semicolon issues again.

Up, up, up we road, road the road that we were told by the GPS.

This doesn't even make sense.

The seats inside: bountifully bouncy leather, the woman driver: nothing, practically mute, her hair was the only thing I remember, it being dark and slick enough to consume the sun, smelled of patchouli.

The colons aren't necessary. This formatting is just kind of strange. I would recommend just changing it altogether.

Old party gone; and in its place anew, another now existed, it entailed: my best friend, his step brother, three ladies, scrambled eggs on the side, and myself.

This sentence doesn't make much sense.

I have very mixed feelings about this short story. On one hand, you made some very interesting observations and I loved most of your descriptions, though some of the word choices didn't make a lot of sense sometimes, but on the other hand, I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve. Were you trying to say that this is what the Cherokee died for? If so, I'm not sure you executed that very well. For the narrative, I'm not sure that the beginning was necessary. To sum it up in a few words, I'm not sure what you were trying to get across with this. Whatever it is that you wanted to say, you're going to have to make it clearer because I did not understand. That was the biggest issue I found with this short story. I hope I helped and feel free to ask me any questions you have.

~ Storm




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:40 am
View Likes
Charm wrote a review...



Hey Brownbomd! I'm here to review your short story and like you said in your author's note, I'll do my best to help you improve grammar wise and plot wise. If you have any questions concerning my review feel free to shoot me a PM or comment them. As always I'll be happy to help another writer improve even in the slightest!

Now onto the review:

Grammar:


I think I'd prefer the paragraphs to be a little shorter because they seem a bit long but maybe that's my preference.

Centuries ago, a husband, wife, child, and slave pioneered to the oak-covered Appalachian peaks that belonged to the Cherokee Nation.

*a wife *a child *a slave
One day, the Indians lured the man from the home and into the encroaching woods where the Indians then slaughtered him.

saying the Indians twice sounds repetitive maybe use "they" the second time instead.
The juice of humans was not spilt for nothing

*spilled and this is a double negative so get rid of the "not".
from either use, or as an aesthetic

no comma
The banging of this top-most leather, results in an earthy

no comma
everyone had it, and pretended they didn’t

no comma
there’s punches being thrown and punch being drank

*there are *being drunk
our sneakers was sleeping vacant

*were
Old party gone; and in its place anew,

*a new
my best friend, his step brother,

*step-brother
results in an earthy rumble emitted from the vibrations

*resulted
stood my company and me

*I
We were enveloped in the fumes rising from the entertainers, or so they thought they were, was a mixture of sweat, pale ale, and mountain air; it was like thrusting your nostrils into the hair of Cherokee matriarch.

the "was a mixture" part confuses me but I don't know how to fix it.
Up, up, up we road, road the road that we were told by the GPS.

Now this is a definitely using repetition in a bad way. You're repeating two words so many times in such a short single sentence and it doesn't really make sense.

Story:

"fairies" I didn't know Native Americans had fairies. Did they? I mean I don't know much about them but isn't that a Irish, Scottish, and English thing. I think your imagery is really good and you definitely have a professional style. But nothing about this really made me want to keep reading. I felt like it was a lot and I didn't even really get what was happening. Like I said I think your style is wonderful and you definitely are gifted in writing but I think you need to be clearer with what is happening. Also I didn't feel your characters were real at all. I feel like I don't know them at all. The narrator has such a professional way of telling the story that at first I thought this was a non-fiction factual piece.

Overall my main advice to you is to tone it down a bit with the commas and maybe make your style a little simpler. I found all the semicolons and words like "unbeknownst" a bit much at times. Especially with big paragraphs, it was a tad overwhelming. Maybe that's because my style is a more simple modern-like narrative.

marmalade




Brownbomd says...


Thank you marmalade, I appreciate the feedback! You were very in-depth, and I will improve upon what I have so far, with your help.
Have a good one.




Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln