z

Young Writers Society



Aftermath: Chapter 2 - The Unexpected

by BornLoser


 "Hurry up! I actually want to get to class, thank you!"

 Hayley was taking me to Music, a subject I loathed because I lacked the skill and interest to play a musical instrument. I was trailing behind, as we'd just climbed another set of concrete stairs, which was causing my legs to feel stiff and heavy. Being told to hurry up annoyed me. I'm in physical pain, could you please slow down?

 "Today would be lovely!" the flame-headed girl sang as she skipped ahead of me, twirling through the students that filled the drab corridor. "We wouldn't want to be late now!"

 "Ugh," I sighed as arms bumped into mine, making me feel like I was swimming against a strong tide. The noise that surrounded me consisted mainly of giggles from girls and shouts from guys who were calling to each other from different ends of the hallway, and I had to resist the urge to put my hands over my ears. The noise reminded me of back at my old school, where swear words were exchanged loudly between everyone and people cackled maliciously. It's not exactly the same, but the slight similarity made my shoulders hunch up protectively and my spine shiver.

 "Hey! Over here!" I heard Hayley call from ahead. Through the gaps between the bodies I could just see her, jumping up and down and waving her arm around in the hopes of catching my attention. She must have thought that I'd got lost or something.

 As I pushed through the crowd, hugging my notebook ever so tightly, I started to feel a sense of panic. I guess it could have been due to my fear of small spaces, or maybe my fear of large crowds. I started to breathe heavily through my nose, with sweat forming on my forehead and in the palms of my hands. Don't panic, my mind was telling me, but my pulse quickened all the same.

 I shut my eyes and kept walking. I didn't know where I was heading now, but I didn't care. I just wanted everything and everyone to go away. I wanted these feelings to go away. The scars. The memories. The pain. The trauma. I wanted it all to just disappear. I wanted to disappear. To not exist. To be something else. To be someone else. I just wanted it all to-

 "Hey! Are you okay?"

 My eyes snapped open when Hayley grabbed my arm. Looking around me frantically, I saw that the hallway had cleared, apart from the few students who were putting off entering class for as long as possible. How had I not noticed the crowd dissipate around me?

 "Jay, you're shaking!" Hayley said in a worried tone. I looked down at myself and saw that my legs and arms were shaking like mad. I hadn't even felt them starting to shake. Was I really that traumatized from my past experiences?

 "Do you need to go and see the nurse?" I heard her say softly. Yes, I wanted to say. Tell them that I'm sick so that I can be sent home. Please. I don't want to be here anymore. I'm scared.

 But the only thing I could say was, "No, I'm fine,"

 Hayley frowned at me, concerned. She obviously didn't agree with my answer, but she decided to leave it at that. I would probably do the same - no point in arguing about it.

 Once I regulated my breathing I gave her a slight nod, a sign that we could go into class. Yeah, I wasn't completely fine - my legs were still shaking slightly and the grip I had on my notebook hadn't loosened - but I wanted to seem like I was okay. I wanted to believe I was okay, even if it meant lying to others and lying to myself.

 Sometimes hiding the truth was always best.

 After going through the glossy green door to the classroom, I walked straight to an empty seat at the back. I didn't really feel like sitting next to loud and bubbly Hayley, who decided to take a seat two tables to my left. After what had just happened in the hallway, I'd rather sit on my own.

 To stop my mind thinking negative thoughts, I checked out the classes' interior. It was exactly the same as Creative Writing, only there were battered acoustic guitars hung up on the wall to my right and behind me. A navy blue door next to the blackboard looked as though it led to another room - perhaps one with computers and keyboards? I couldn't really tell, as all I could see through the small glass pane in the door was darkness. There wasn't any cobwebs outside the windows, at least. Watching spiders crawl all over the windows during my last class had crept me out too much.

 "Alright class!" a rather large man with a bald head and a black, well kept beard strode into the classroom, slamming the door shut behind him. It made me jump slightly. "Pencils out please! We're doing theory today!"

 Half of the class groaned as they picked up their bags to find something to write with. I never used a bag anymore, as my previous school satchel was ripped to pieces due to someone putting it in a wood shredder at my old school. Now, I just carried anything I needed in my coat pockets or in my hands. I actually found it easier than lugging a bag around, anyways.

 As I pulled the pencil that I had used in my last class out of my khaki parka pocket, I heard the boy to my right whisper "shit". Looking over at him, I saw he was rummaging around in his dark skinny jean pockets, his face showing frustration at not being able to find what he was looking for. "Come on, come on," he muttered, annoyed, before giving up and slouching in his chair.

 He appeared to be a cross between Hayley and Gerard, in terms of appearance. He had an all black outfit, with skinny jeans and a Ramones t-shirt adorning his body, and messy, black hair that reminded me of a birds' nest. His eyes were rimmed with thick, black eyeliner, making what would be a pair of dull green eyes appear brighter and more vivid. Black and white canvas shoes that looked like mine were loosely tied on his feet, with dirt and scuff marks covering the edges of them. I guess he was more punk than "emo", I think. I couldn't feel or see anything bad about this person, so I guess there was no harm in lending him my spare pencil.

 "Psst," I hissed, trying to get his attention. I succeeded, as he looked over with a puzzled look on his face. I then reached into the same pocket I had got my pencil from and withdrew another one, which I had sharpened just this morning. Extending it out towards him, I then whispered, "Would you like to borrow my pencil?"

 He grabbed the pencil without hesitation, then opened his notepad and started writing in it. He paused briefly to look at me, as though he were saying "thank you" with his eyes, then went back to what he was doing. He must have not been much of a talker, then.

 "Right!" the teacher clasped his huge hands together over his giant stomach. "Today, we'll be learning how to write music!" He then turned to the blackboard and wrote "songwriting" in block white letters. I quickly flipped open my butterfly patterned notebook and wrote the word down as a title at the top of the first blank page I could find. I may not be interested in this subject, but I should at least make an effort.

 The teacher babbled on about how every song starts with something, whether it be a lyric or a chord progression. He started to go more into it, but I couldn't really tune in. I ended up looking out of the window and observing the grey sky.

 Hold on, the sky was blue before, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it was. That's why I decided to wear a light jacket today instead of my heavy yellow duffel coat. That's also why I put on my light blue bootcut jeans and my favourite tank top, which was red and had a cute grey tabby cat on the front. It may sound like a childish thing to wear, but I had got it for my birthday the year before from my big sister, who was the fashion guru of the family. When I wore this top, it made me feel like I actually looked good.

 Not only had the sky turned grey, but the clouds looked threatening and dark. Only an hour ago were they white and fluffy, almost like candy floss. The smiling sun was no longer visible, as it was hidden behind the dark brooding curtain that now floated in the sky.

 "Take note, everyone," the teachers' booming voice was distant to me, as I was too caught up in figuring this out. Where had all these clouds come from? My mum had even said that there would be no rain today, which backs up what Gerard said back in Creative Writing when I asked if there would be a storm. There wasn't one in the weather forecast, he had said.

 But you never know.

 "Excuse me, young lady!" the teacher shouted, his voice loud enough to snap me out of my thoughts. I looked towards him, and realised he was addressing me.

 "Sorry, sir," I mumbled quietly.

 "Apologising will not make up for wasting my time! I will see you after class Miss..." he trailed off, as he didn't know my name. "Whatever your name is,"

 Crap. Because of my stupid wandering mind, I got into trouble from the teacher... and on my first day as well!

 "Great," I muttered to myself.

 "Now, as I was saying," the teacher had started talking again, and already I had zoned out. My hand aimlessly dragged my pencil in circles around the lined page of my notebook, leaving behind a ghost-like trail. I was bored, needless to say.

 My boredom vanished, however, when my feet had started to feel tingly. Hold on, not tingly... like something beneath them was vibrating, and causing them to feel strange. I looked down at my black canvas clad feet, and didn't see anything beneath them that could be causing the strange feeling that I felt.

 So, what was causing it?

 I lifted one of my feet off of the floor, to see if I was just imagining things. Maybe I zoned out so much that parts of my body were falling asleep? Maybe they were getting pins and needles from the strain that I'd put legs through earlier?

 The answer to these were no... and I wasn't imagining things.

 The floor beneath the firmly planted foot was vibrating.

 My eyes widened, and I quickly looked around to see if anyone else had noticed it. To my disappointment, no one was reacting the way that I was, which made me think that all of this was in my head. Vibrating floors? Does such a thing even happen?

 It did. The floors' vibrations had increased greatly, making my desk shake slightly and causing it to make a buzzing noise. I hugged my knees to my chest out of instinct, scared and confused at what was happening. The chair that I was sitting on had started to vibrate too.

 What the hell was going on?

 "Sir!" I looked towards the front of the class, where a girl in square glasses and small pigtails had raised her hand. "Why are the desks shaking?"

 So I wasn't the only one who'd noticed? So I wasn't crazy?

 "Ignore it!" the teacher shouted at the whole class, who had started to whisper to each other about what could be happening.

 "An earthquake?"

 "No way! Maybe the government are drilling for oil under the school?"

 "That's stupid! It's probably the drama class downstairs."

 "We don't even have a drama class at this school!"

 My table was shaking more violently now, causing my pencil and my notebook to fall to the floor, making no sound as they hit the blue carpet. The chair I was sitting on was doing the same, and I hugged myself tighter, scared at what was happening. Was it actually an earthquake? Or am I just dreaming about this and this is all happening because of my fears of starting a new school?

 What if it's actually a storm?

 "Get under your desks!" I heard the teacher roar as he fled the classroom, and everyone in the class obeyed... except for me, who was paralyzed with fear at what could possibly be happening. What if I died today, just from coming to school? I didn't want to die. I'd went through so much crap in my life, and now this? I thought things were going to get better, but now I was going to die away from my family, and they wouldn't even know that I was dead... and they would never see me again... and I would never see them again.

 "Jay! Get under your desk!" I heard Hayley scream to my left, but I couldn't move. My arms squeezed my legs tighter to my chest, and I let my head instinctively bury itself in the small gap that was left between my collarbone and my knees. In that moment, I just let the tears fall, making a constellation of water marks on my top.

 I could hear people screaming now. They're just as scared as I am. They probably don't want to die either.

 Then a thought comes into my head... What if this is just nothing? Maybe it's just a drill the school practices for when an earthquake happens? No, that's stupid. A school wouldn't be able to afford to put a huge machine under the school just to practice earthquake drills, and the students wouldn't be screaming so terrifyingly loud if it was just a drill.

 "Oh my God, what's happening out there?!" I heard someone screech. When I lifted my head up and looked out of the window, I could see pieces of gravel and dirt scratching at the window, some even managing to cause cracks in the glass panes. I wanted to figure out what was happening, but everyone's panicked screams kept invading my head. I couldn't think straight anymore, especially after seeing what was happening.

 The whole room was shaking now, and it was taking a lot of effort just to stay on my chair. I wanted to go under the table, in case anything started to break off of the ceiling, but I couldn't. My limbs wouldn't move, even when I begged them to.

 A skinny man in a suit appeared in the classroom doorway, with debris and dust covering him from head to toe. He had a look of panic and urgency on his face. "You kids need to get out of here!" he shouted at us all. "Get out of the school now!"

 That's when the windows shattered.

 Everything just happened so quickly, that I didn't have enough time to even process it. Wind blew in through the gaping holes where the windows used to be, causing the broken shards to spin and fly throughout the whole room. I heard people scream in pain as they were cut and scratched by them. I was cut too, but not as bad as those near the windows. Those who were cut badly had their blood tugged and pulled out of their bodies by the wind, which decorated the walls in strings of dark red.

 The girl in the pigtails at the front of the class went flying out of the window, cracking her skull on the way out. I would have cringed at the crunch that her skull made if it weren't for the fact that the roar of the fierce breeze was filling my ears, and filling my head.

 The man who had came to warn us had fled after the windows broke, leaving us all here to fend for ourselves. I could see the boy who I lent the pencil to crawling out from under his desk and towards the classroom door. Was it a free for all? Was this now a case of stay and die, or flee and hope to survive?

 Others seemed to get the same idea as the boy, and tried to crawl to the door as well. I wanted to try and flee as well, but I was scared of having the same fate as the pigtail girl. I didn't want a gruesome death like that.

 The wall where the windows were supposed to be was ripped out of the building, making everyone scream and clutch on to the carpet for dear life. The sudden event made me fall backwards off of my seat. "Argh" I gasped as my head made contact with the hard floor. It felt like where I had bumped my head was pulsing, and it felt strange, yet familiar.

 Don't remember, I thought. There's a time and place for that, but not now!

 "Help!" I heard a few students scream.

 "No!"

 "Please!"

 "I don't want to die!"

 I still couldn't move, and it made me cry even more. This was it, wasn't it? Everyone here, including me, was going to die... and there was nothing we could do to stop it.

 The students that had attempted to follow the boy's lead were forcefully pulled out through the hole in the wall, all of them crying and screaming as they went, desperately trying to grab anything that could save them. It seemed that the boy had escaped, as there was no longer any sign of him. Either that or he was out there, among the blood and the glass and all of the broken brick and concrete.

 My table, as well as others, were pulled out next, along with the chairs. There was nothing left in the classroom apart from me, Hayley, and the other remaining students. I couldn't see Hayley, but I could sense her presence not too far from me.

 "Jay!" I could hear her scream, but it sounded muffled and dulled under all of the noise. "Don't move!"

 I felt like I was in control of my body again. I don't know how, or why, but I had came out of my shock paralysis. Maybe it's because I realised that my life was going to end? I don't know. One thing I did know was that Hayley maybe hurt and in trouble. If I can't live through this, I want her to.

 Her life was worth more than mine, anyway.

 I forced myself to sit up, and was met with a strong gust of air that hit the side of my face, causing my hair to whip wildly around me. A pungent and heavy smell crept into my nostrils, the likely source of it being from the red webbed walls that surrounded me. I didn't dare look, for fear of throwing up.

 The screams weren't as loud now. Only three of us remained, and none of us wanted to move. A boy was grabbing on to a leg of the teachers' desk, which was bolted firmly in place. That was a good decision on his part, as without the grip on that desk he would have joined the other unfortunates that were being thrown about outside. Hayley was holding on to a pipe that had become exposed when the wall was ripped out of the building. Her body was suspended in the air as she hung on for dear life.

 I could feel the strong gust pushing me towards the outside chaos, but I had to save Hayley. If I failed and died, or succeeded and died, then at least I died trying.

 Breathing as steadily as I could, I pushed myself forward into a crawling position. It hurt to put pressure on my legs, but I gritted my teeth and began to move towards Hayley. If I could just get her back into the classroom then that would be great. I'd probably be dead, but at least she'd be somewhat safe.

 "Jay!" Hayley had noticed me moving towards her, and she shrieked in protest against my actions. "Stay where you are!"

 I wanted to answer her. No, I'm coming to save you! But my mouth wouldn't open. I just kept pushing against the forceful wind that was trying to prevent me from getting to her.

 "No!" she shouted at me, frustrated, but I ignored her. I want to save her, despite the fact I barely know her and I fear death itself. I want her to see me as brave before I die, not as a coward who just lay on the floor and didn't do anything.

 Her grip on the pole was loosening, I could see that. She was likely getting weak from holding on for so long, and it didn't help that she was being pulled at an unbelievable force. Her face expressed fear, but her eyes showed that she wasn't afraid of the inevitable. Fearless is what I'd describe her as, if it weren't for the fact that we were in this situation.

 I was almost there. I just had to push myself further, just close enough that I could grab her hand and save her... but when I saw what was behind her, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

 We were inside a tornado.

 "Jay, please stop!" Hayley pleaded with me, seeing that I had finally noticed the danger that we were in. "We'll both end up dead if you even attempt to save me!"

 "But I want to help!" I cried, tears pouring out of my eyes and down my cheeks.

 "There's no point-" she had began to say, but was stopped short as she was sucked into the swirling cyclone that raged outside. I screamed her name, before I lost sight of her.

 I crawled closer to the edge, trying to catch sight of her, to see if she was okay, but that was a mistake on my part. Being pulled into the twister felt surreal, like it wasn't even happening. I was flying one second, and then the next I was spinning uncontrollably. I couldn't tell whether I was upside down or not.

 My mouth was filled with dirt particles as I screamed in terror. Why was this happening? What had caused this?

 The last I thing I saw was a red, wooden desk soaring towards me, and then I blacked out.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:23 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



Hello again. I thought this was another really good chapter, your sense of detail and emotion is very powerful, and things definitely did pick up in drama rather quickly. You also stopped switching tenses, which I really appreciate.

"Hurry up! I actually want to get to class, thank you!"


She still just doesn’t seem real. Which is weird, because Jay seems like a normally regular person, but then Hayley just seems so entirely fake to me. I still don’t like her.

The noise reminded me of back at my old school, where swear words were exchanged loudly between everyone and people cackled maliciously.


I’m having trouble actually picturing this happening in my head. Is she referring to when she walks down crowded halls? If so, I suggest you try to be a bit more concise with this.

It's not exactly the same, but the slight similarity made my shoulders hunch up protectively and my spine shiver.


So, the goal here is to exemplify how uncomfortable she is, right? To do that, you don’t need to tell us WHY her shoulders are hunching up, just that they and her spine is shivering. So “protectively” isn’t all that necessary.

Through the gaps between the bodies


That sounds like she’s rummaging through corpses, not people…

"Jay, you're shaking!" Hayley said in a worried tone. I looked down at myself and saw that my legs and arms were shaking like mad. I hadn't even felt them starting to shake. Was I really that traumatized from my past experiences?
"Do you need to go and see the nurse?" I heard her say softly.


This took me a bit by surprise. I was annoyed by Hayley previously because of her overly-enthusiastic demeanor, and I would expect her to not pay attention at all to the characters around her. But here she does. Interesting.

Sometimes hiding the truth was always best.


I know I said “don’t change tenses” and it looks like you’ve avoided doing so here (good job on that, by the way”, but I think this is the one time using the present tense would work – as it has nothing to do with the story, more-so it’s a philosophy, and philosophies don’t tend to just die. But I guess if the main character doesn’t agree with it anymore, it’s still fine, but could be reworded to be made more clear:

Sometimes hiding the truth is always best. At least, that’s what I always thought.


I never used a bag anymore, as my previous school satchel was ripped to pieces due to someone putting it in a wood shredder at my old school.


That’s just…wow.

"Right!" the teacher clasped his huge hands together over his giant stomach. "Today, we'll be learning how to write music!"


Now this just seems silly. It’s the first day of class, right? Don’t teachers normally start off with a “Hey, my name is _____”, let people get used to each other, hand out the syllabus and what not? I’ve never had a teacher jump right into “Let’s write a song!”. Not saying it’s a thing you need to change, just…amusing.

The next part was amazing writing – whatever happened (don’t think it was an earthquake, but we’ll see), you really captured the horror, fear and intensity perfectly. Describing what happened to the others, and just the sight of their blood was just mortifyingly excellent in the way to set a scene. The last review said something about how tornadoes don't do that -- that bothers some people, I understand, but for me, it really doesn't. I found myself invested anyway, regardless of whether or not it was actually plausible. That much I don't really care about looking into. Anyway very good writing towards the end.

I wanted to answer her. No, I'm coming to save you! But my mouth wouldn't open. I just kept pushing against the forceful wind that was trying to prevent me from getting to her.


I’m kind of wondering now how long you plan this to be, hm. Seems a bit early for the big life-saving scene, and besides basic humanity, you haven’t really given much reason for the readers to care why Hayley lives or dies.

We were inside a tornado.

Ah, that makes sense…I didn’t think it was an earthquake because of the sky, which really goes into how concise your sense of detail is.

The last I thing I saw was a red, wooden desk soaring towards me, and then I blacked out.


Ah, now I have to see what happens next. I don't say it often but I think you're a great writer, so keep it up ^^




BornLoser says...


Hey hey! Thank you for reviewing my second chapter :'D

Hayley's over-enthusiastic and seems fake for a reason, which won't be revealed until later on I think :3 I personally don't like Hayley either (as a character in my story!) but I've wrote her this way to make people dislike her, so that people are more shocked when they find out who she truly is? I think? XD I haven't planned my story that far ahead, but I have a vague idea :)

The bag and the wood shredder thing... I put that in to show how cruel some people can be, and how far they'll go to bring grief to the person they're trying to hurt.

The bodies thing is actually foreshadowing! You can probably link chapter 3 to this sentence (hopefully). I like foreshadowing a bit, as it hints at something before it happens, and the reader sometimes never notices it's a hint to the future of the story! I just think it's a cool thing!
There's also foreshadowing in chapter 1 ;)

The life-saving scene... hm... I wanted to add that in as Jay doesn't like to see suffering or death, so she wanted to at least try and save Hayley. Another reason Jay was desperate to save Hayley was because Hayley was the first girl her age who didn't want to make cruel comments on how she looked, and didn't want to beat her up. I understand how there is no reason for the reader to like Hayley, and to care whether she lives or dies, but to Jay she is an important person... If you know what I mean?

I wanted to choose a tornado because of story reasons... as it isn't a normal tornado (I mean, we have technology to warn us about them nowadays!). Gerard is linked to it somehow, because... He did kinda hint at it in the first chapter XD

Everything else that you've pointed out is well pointed out, and I shall aim to fix anything that's out of place in this chapter!

Thank you for reviewing! :'3

Huggles from BornLoser



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:52 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for a review, so this gets out of the Green Room!

So, I don't know what this is fanfiction of. It doesn't seem anything particularly fanfiction-esque. I'm just going to treat it like a normal story and see where that gets me.

I like your main character. She isn't particularly unique, but for some reason the voice and style just makes me like her. I like how she cares about Hayley even though they just met.

Something that didn't make sense when I thought about it was the tornado. With modern technology, tornados that are big enough to rip a school apart like that are easy to detect before they actually form. Unless something supernatural/sci-fi happened, they would have been warned long before that a tornado was coming their way or that a tornado could possibly form in their area, and appropriate measures would have been taken to get everyone underground or somewhere similar. Of course, depending on what this is fanfiction of, it may be completely plausible to have a random tornado pop up out of nowhere.

Also, you may want to fact-check the way the tornado pulled people in and whirled around objects and things. It just seems like the sort of thing that's easy to get wrong.

The other thing I didn't really like was the typical "person is daydreaming in class, gets yelled at by teacher." It's just so overdone - and usually a person looks up at the sound of their name even if they're deep in thought about something.

Then, when the floor started shaking, the teacher bothered me even more - unless you live in an area where earthquakes are really common, you don't just shout "ignore it" when the floor starts to shake. He shouldn't run out of the room, either. His responsibility is to his students, and leaving them like that in a time of crisis could get him far worse than just fired.

Regardless, this may all be part of the personality you had in mind for him, and that's fine. Just maybe take it down a notch so that reader's don't decide it's completely unbelievable.

Anyway, that's all I've got for you! Good luck with this story, and keep writing!




BornLoser says...


Hey hey! Thank you for reviewing my chapter! :3
The fanfiction is really based on something, it's basically me writing a story with characters that are famous people :) except Jaylin is an original character XD
I understand why you would think that the sudden tornado wouldn't really make sense, but it links to the character Gerard! It's later on in the story that this is found out, as the characters (once they eventually find each other) go looking for answers :D I don't really want to give away too much because it might ruin the story!
I made the teacher act like that as I'm basing him on a really cruel teacher who was fired at a previous school I attended, as once, during a fire drill, he left his students in the class and left to go out on his own! And it was a real fire as well! :O so I basically tried to portray that guy with the teacher in this chapter, i.e. making him really selfish and mean >.> such a meanie teacher!
Hopefully that cleared some things up... I hope!
Again, thank you for taking the time to review my story! If you want to check out the more recent chapter then you can! If you don't then that's fine ^3^
Again, thank you thank you thank yooooouuuuuu!
Huggles, BornLoser :3



BornLoser says...


*isn't really based on something, oops XD



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Well, that was unexpected! I definitely didn't see the tornado coming, or Jay getting sucked into it!

Oh, hi. It's Mage - the person who promised to write you a review. I really liked this chapter, and this story. Though I'm one for fantasy, I've liked the school-aspect of this story so far. But because this story's genre is action/adventure, and the main character just got sucked into a tornado, something tells me it isn't going to stay so realistic.

I've got some revisions for you. Most of them are about the same problem: You switch between tenses. This story is past tense, but you sometimes use present tense. You can revise those parts of the story (don't worry, I'm going to list them below and show you how to fix them) by making them past tense, or making them Jay's thoughts.

1.)

I mean, I'm in physical pain, could you please slow down?

This one would be better as a thought. All that you have to do is put it in italics.

2.)
There weren't cobwebs outside the windows at least.

For this one, I would suggest making it past tense, and adding a comma in between "windows" and "at".

3.)
I never use a bag anymore, as my previous school satchel was ripped to pieces due to someone putting it in a wood shredder at my old school. Now, I just carry anything I need in my coat pockets or in my hands. I actually find it easier than lugging a bag around, anyways.

This should be in past tense. Like this:
I never used a bag anymore, as my previous school satchel was ripped to pieces due to someone putting it in a wood shredder at my old school. Now, I just carried anything I needed in my coat pockets or in my hands. I actually found it easier than lugging a bag around, anyways.


4.)
Hold on, the sky was blue before, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it was. That's why I decided to wear a light jacket today instead of my heavy yellow duffel coat. That's also why I put on my light blue bootcut jeans and my favourite tank top, which was red and had a cute grey tabby cat on the front. It may sound like a childish thing to wear, but i got it for my birthday last year from my big sister, who is the fashion guru of the family. When I wear this top it makes me feel like I actually look good.

This can be made into both a thought and in past tense. This is how I would do it:
Hold on, the sky was blue before, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it was. That's why I decided to wear a light jacket today instead of my heavy yellow duffel coat. That's also why I put on my light blue bootcut jeans and my favourite tank top, which was red and had a cute grey tabby cat on the front. It may sound like a childish thing to wear, but i had got it for my birthday the year from my big sister, who was the fashion guru of the family. When I wore that top, it made me feel like I actually looked good.


5.)
Does such a thing even happen?

This should be a thought.

6.)
It does.

This should be in past tense.

7.)
Maybe it's because I've realised that my life is going to end.

This should also be in past tense.

8.)
A navy blue door next to the blackboard looked as though it led to another room, perhaps one with computers and keyboards?

This has nothing to do with tenses. I just wanted to introduce you to a wonderful thing called the em-dash. I admit I'm still a beginner at using it, so I can't exactly tell you too much about (but you can google it). However, this is the perfect time to use it. Instead of using a comma after "room", trying using a dash, like this:
A navy blue door next to the blackboard looked as though it led to another room -perhaps one with computers and keyboards?

On Microsoft Word, or LibreOffice Writer, if you space, do two dashes next to each other, and hit space again, you'll get an em-dash. I don't know how to do that on YWS, unfortunately.

I hope that review really helped! You're a really good writer, and once you get those tenses under control, you'll be doing awesome! Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors. Have a great day/night!

Oh, and tell me when you upload a new chapter. I'll keep reviewing this story for you. If you want other reviewers, my suggestion is to check out the Will Review for Food part of the site. A lot of people over there can give awesome reviews, better than this one. I know from experience. :D




BornLoser says...


Thank you so much for giving me feedback!
I'm pretty bad at tenses... I want it to be past tense but I keep putting in present tense and ugh XD
The advice you've given me makes sense, so I'll go back and fix the bits that need fixed!
Also, I know of the em-dash, I just forgot it existed due to the fact that I haven't done English in school for a year, cuz life XD now I can use cuz I remember now! Yay :3
Again, thank you so much for the feedback! I'll be sure to tell you when I upload the next chapter ^.^
Huggles from BornLoser :3



Mageheart says...


You're welcome! :D I only recently learned about the em-dash because of Young Writers Society. Thanks!




In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore