The Book Man, Chapters 18-20 (Revised)

by BluesClues

18 ACCOUNTING

Christian yawned as he left the house that morning and walked to the bus stop to catch a ride into London for work. He could not have slept for more than an hour. He would have to take a nap after supper each evening if he wanted to spend every night in the park with Conrad and Minerva yet be awake enough each day for work.

He fell asleep again on the bus ride, with his mouth open and his forehead pressed against the windowpane, but he jerked upright when someone put a hand on his shoulder and shook him.

“Christian. We’re here, honey.”

It was Liza Smithson, and he was not happy to see her. He straightened his glasses and mumbled his thanks. She was considerably more awake than he, but her eyes were bright as though she’d spent the morning crying and she looked as haggard as he felt. Her feet were squeezed into red heels almost a size too small, her suit wrinkled. Christian could not help feeling she would look a lot happier if she knew where Conrad was. The knowledge made him look away from her guiltily.

She gazed at him for a moment, then patted his shoulder and said, “Come on, Christian. I know it’s not exciting, but we’re here. Just got to make it through the day.”

He followed her off the bus, determined to avoid her for as much of the day as he could.

For the duration of their time at the firm, he was successful. He spent the day seeking out his other coworkers for the first time in company memory: requesting financial statement forms from this one, computer help from that one, and even attempting to make small-talk with a third. Managers who applauded his collaboration in the morning were dodging him by lunchtime, exhausted by his endless questions. The secretary in the outer office refused him access to the photocopier when he returned yet again with the intent to print fifty copies of a useless memorandum. The accounting department buzzed with whispers as his fellow accountants speculated about his change of behavior, but he didn’t notice.

He was so intent on avoiding Liza that he stumbled into a cubicle on his way back from the washroom as she rounded a corner, her eyes red-rimmed and her face drawn.

“Hello,” said the petite ginger working in the cubicle. “Can I help you?”

Her eyebrows were raised in confusion at his unexpected appearance, but her tone was utterly polite. Christian blushed and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. In his panic at the sight of Liza, it had not occurred to him his hiding place was someone’s office.

“I’m a little lost,” he said. “That’s all.”

She smiled. “Are you new here, then?”

“No,” he said. “I’m an accountant.”

Then he realized that was no excuse at all for being lost and blushed again. But the woman nodded and said, “That explains why I haven’t seen you before. This is marketing.”

She held out a hand. “Sarah Julian.”

“Christian Abernathy,” he replied, but his eyes were fixed on the corridor, watching Liza disappear around the next corner.

Sarah folded her hands in front of her and asked, “How long have you worked here, then?”

“Twelve years,” Christian said. “Thank you for letting me hide—I mean, it was lovely meeting you.”

“You as well,” Sarah said as he darted from her cubicle, and then she called after him, “Can you find your way back to accounting?”

“I’ll manage,” he said, and he fled down the hall, ignoring the stares of the marketing department.

19 THE BALLOON-ARTIST’S WIFE

He left the office at five and hurried toward the bus stop, feeling relieved until he heard the clacking of high-heels behind him. He turned with no small amount of dread as Liza Smithson caught up to him, puffing slightly.

“Damn these heels—”

Unlike her husband, she looked her age. Her face was often lined with exhaustion, and her hair, cropped close to her skull, was peppered with grey. She was a large woman, though her body curved like an hourglass, and the suit she wore stretched across her hips and bosom in a way that looked terribly uncomfortable. Christian felt bad, for he liked her and she looked more tired and miserable than he had ever seen her—and it was his fault. If only he could tell her where her husband was.

No, he thought: she would never believe him, even if he dared tell her. And he didn’t dare. But perhaps—perhaps he could somehow let her know Conrad was alright, that he had not been home because he was injured, not out of infidelity or some such horrid thing—

“Haven’t seen you around much today,” Liza said.

“Been busy,” Christian replied. “I had a lot of—a lot of copies to make.”

“So I heard,” Liza said. He blushed.

“So,” he said, but when he cast about for a different topic he discovered he had none. If only the bus would arrive. “So, you’re heading home?”

She shook her head. “Thought I’d treat myself to dinner at the Aquarium. Since my husband sees fit not to come home for it.”

“My husband” sounded brittle on her lips, as if the phrase would shatter like glass if she said it too certainly. Christian cleared his throat several times and polished his glasses on his suit jacket.

“You got something in your throat?” Liza asked.

“No,” Christian said. Something to put her mind at ease, the balloon-artist had said. Something to put her mind at ease. “Er—Liza, wherever Conrad is, I’m sure he’s—he’s alright, and he’ll be home just as soon as he—”

“You’re sweet, honey, but if he hasn’t even told you where he is then I don’t think that’s the case.”

“But—” Christian began, and then he fell silent again.

Her nostrils flared as she looked up the street for the bus. At last she said, almost to herself, “It’s got something to do with where he’s been disappearing to every night, I suppose.”

Christian opened his mouth, changed his mind, and closed his mouth again. Liza saw him and said, “I notice when he’s not there, Christian. When I wake up in the middle of the night and he’s gone.”

“I’m sorry,” Christian said.

She shrugged. “You haven’t got anything to be sorry for. If I was younger maybe I could think it was some secret balloon-artist thing—I don’t know—something magical and beautiful—but it’s not. It’s something else.”

But it was something magical and beautiful, Christian wanted to tell her. Magical and beautiful—except for the fact Conrad was injured.

She smiled thinly and said, “You know, I’m actually not that hungry. Guess I’ll go home and wait for him to turn up. If he turns up.”

When their bus came a few minutes later, she boarded it ahead of him without a backwards glance.

20 THE SUBSTITUTE

Across the street from the Book House, the closed-up balloon-cart was bundled in a forlorn white mass against the wall of the park. Christian ate supper on his front stoop, gazing at it. He would have to try to take better care of Liza until Conrad was well enough to go home, although that might prove difficult; but for now he could at least make sure the cart ran more or less like normal.

It was almost seven, but the solstice was only a few days past; the sun still sent slanting rays across the houses along the street. A toddler burst into tears as his mother dragged him past the closed balloon-cart.

Christian washed up and then returned to the stoop. He stared at the balloon-cart for a moment, scratching the back of his neck. Then he crossed the street.

He dragged the cart away from the wall and positioned it in its usual spot, ignoring the stares of passersby. The tarp crackled in protest as he yanked it back and folded it into a lumpy pile.

“Where’s your friend?” a man’s voice asked, and Christian jumped at the sound, hitting his head on the cart’s visor. A gentleman in slacks and a suit coat stood watching him with interest. White hair sprinkled his dark pate like a dusting of snow.

“You’re friends with the balloon-man, aren’t you?” the old gentleman asked. “I mean to say, it’s not your balloon-cart.”

“No,” Christian said. “No, he’s—indisposed. I would’ve been here earlier, but I work during the day.”

The man nodded. “Quite understandable. Well, carry on, young man. The children have been so disappointed.”

Christian mumbled a goodbye and turned back to the balloon-cart as the gentleman walked off down the street. A small crowd had gathered; most of them knew him by sight but had never spoken to him and now watched him with interest. He ignored them as best he could, though his ears and neck burned with embarrassment. He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, opened a drawer of blue balloons, and began practicing butterflies.

He had finally succeeded in making one when he felt a tug on his sleeve. A little girl stood there, gazing up at him.

“Please, sir,” she said, “can I have a ladybird?”

He nodded and pulled out a red balloon. She reached for it the moment it was done, but he said, “Don’t you want any spots on it?”

“Not all ladybirds have spots,” she said, and a smile curled across his face despite himself.

“I know,” he said.

When the girl had run off with her ladybird, other children made their way forward, clamoring for their own balloon-animals. Christian made butterflies and ladybirds, poodles and turtles and snakes and many other animals he had never made but watched Conrad make hundreds of times. They were clumsy and misshapen, and most of them took more than one balloon before they turned out right, but the children didn’t care. So Christian stayed at the balloon-cart until the stars appeared and the iron gate of Celadon Park clanged shut.

Then, after making sure the street was empty of people, he unlocked the gate and crept into the park to see Conrad and Minerva.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hey there, BluesClues! Here's a review for Chapter 20! (I'll go back and do every chapter in this if you want me to. Trust me, I don't like starting in the middle, but... :P It's an older series, so you may not like me doing this, so...)

Oh, I like your descriptions here! I think that it's all very cute, and I'm thinking that this might be an... *looks at the chapters list* extremely long children's book? Maybe?

Why doesn't he just... oh, I dunno... lock himself inside?

This has been a short, desperate review from Vilnius. Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

So I am going to try this new form of reviewing, special for your novel, as your request. Let's see how I do!

Your description of Liza makes me not think of the normal business woman in a suit, because normally, they are all proper and their clothing perfect. Absolutely perfect. She seems a bit... ruffled? by what is going on around her, and especially (primarily) her husband's disappearance. Now this chapter didn't seem to really explain what kind of a person she was, although it does show her patience. I mean, most people would have gone crazy by now, and started yelling at Christian, people around her, the wall--anything that would listen and at least show like thy had part in her husband's disappearance. As it is, she seems more like the quiet sufferer, and she cries in private.

Christian does a terrible job of keeping out of her way, but it seems like his style. Bumping into everything, saying oops! all day. That seems to be his trademark. Not clumsiness really, because I always envisioned him as not clumsy, all arms and legs, but more of a lanky guy who is actually coordinated. He just seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and say the wrong things.

The part where he talked to the woman in the marketing section was funny. He is being typical Christian, being uncomfortable and out of place, but he tries. And the woman seemed like the normal businesswoman, all stiff and, err... businesslike. She is all, "How do you do, sir." while Christian is peeking around corners trying to get out.

I cannot help but wonder if she is going to come back in the story, because you set her up like that. Normally, with characters that are going to disappear as soon as the main character leaves the room, you don't describe them. You don't name them. They are two dimensional characters that serve as temporary plots until Christian moves. Almost like the guard that locks the gate for the park at night. Unnamed, and undescribed, but we all know what he is supposed to look like, because we all have an image of what a guard should look like. BUT, if this woman is just a flash-character, and isn't going to appear later in the story, then I think you should just cancel her out as much as possible. Make her have no description, and no name. Then there is one less person we have to think about in your story, and we are allowed more time to think about Chirstian.

“I know,” he said.

YOU ARE A GENIUS, BLUE!

That part was so amazing. It was like repetition without repeating yourself. It brought me back to that part with Conrad talking to him, and the scene with Christian explaining everything to him. Not all ladybird's have spots, but in Conrad's eyes, they all do.

However,I think that this part could have had more emotion in it. It brought back a memory, right? A memory of Conrad in the park? Then I think it would be a good time for him to feel some guilt about his lie to Liza, and it might be a good time for his attention to waver, and perhaps look in the direction of the park. Ya know, something to do with the memory. Just a suggestion.

I hope this helped. My reviews in this style will get better as I go through, I hope. :D
~Darth Timmyjake

BluesClues says...

Thank you! And this was perfect :)

Deanie wrote a review...

Hallo Blue!

Back again after a tiresome day... not sure how many reviews I'll be able to do. I was thought this chapter was interesting. We get to see a bit more about Liza and Conrad's relationship, and I do pity Liza because she's been in a difficult position for a while now. And she's blaming herself, awwwh :'( The poor thing.

Ooh and then came the return of the hellhound! It didn't do much but I thought you should've or could've embellished the scene a bit more action wise. This is the kind of fantastical story with lovely romance in it, sow hen we do get a more action-ish scene like this one, let's use it! I mean, not much happens apart from the bus getting shoved, but there are no seatbelts in buses! Surely some people, on the far side of the bus, would've gone flying. What can he hear? What can see he? What can he taste? How does he feel? Embrace all five senses in the scene and it adds so much more detail! Even if not too much action is actually happening. ;)

I love how Christian doesn't give much advice, just offers more tea because he isn't too sure of what to say. It saddened me that the Liza was there worrying out of her mind and all he could think about was Minerva. I like Minerva but what about his books? All he seems to think about is her and Conrad, his current life seems to be swishing by. I feel like his books and the book house has become much less important to him :'(

WAAH where is the Christian I know going?

Deanie x

Messenger wrote a review...

It be Messenger back for more because I just can't resist your writing, and my team need some more points to keep the lead! :P So shall we begin?

A week had passed since the balloon-artist had come to the Book House with a gash in his thigh,

Whoa it's been that long?!?!?! I hadn't noticed!

Then the hellhound came.

Say what!?! That was a surprise for sure!

I was not expecting the attack, and especially not in the form of knocking over a bus. But wait a minute; if the hellhound can knock over a bus, how in the world did it not smash through Christian's door back in chapter four? You may have a small plot-hole that needs some fixing!

His head and feet hung over its arms even when he had scrunched his body up as small as it would go, but it didn’t matter much.

Being tall I know the feeling well XDD

“My kettle is missing,” he started to say,

Not too much of a housekeeper, eh?

And so another chapter concludes with Christian not saying anything! Gaah!!! I couldn't NOT say something to her. He should start working on a lie at least or something, although at this point it may be a little too late now that she has blamed herself.

I have to wonder why Christian didn't take Liza home. I mean she has a house too that isn't too far away doesn't she? They were in a city when the bus crashed anyway. Well I guess we shall see!

~Messenger

Hello again! I liked the other section enough to take a look at some more, though I think this happens before then? I'll try not to be confused...

1.

“Fine,” he stammered. He returned to staring out the window when she looked away.
Can you really stammer a single word? I'm probably just nit-picking here because everything else has been so smooth, but you may want a different dialogue tag.

2.
The passengers screamed as the bus tilted, balanced for a moment on its wheels, and fell on its side. Christian was squished into the wall and window as Liza and three other passengers slid into him.
I'm not sure 'squished' is the best choice of words because it has almost a humorous connotation. I think perhaps 'squeezed against the wall and window' or 'wrung between the wall and window' or maybe even 'smothered between the wall and window' to add a darker edge to the scene and build a more tense atmosphere.

3.
It was half past four when he finally convinced her to go back to bed, but by then the horizon was just beginning to lighten.
I think you have the same habit of me of using 'just' too often. Try to avoid using it except very rarely - it slows down the prose and can be bulky to read.

I'm starting to get a bigger sense of the world after reading this part and it's really engaging! The hell hound is just enough of a menace to make me a little bit worried about it, though not so much that it feels like an imminent danger and I'm intrigues by the mentions of the fair folk, even if they haven't cropped up in the sections I've read.

The writing is very smooth and there's enough action and intrigue to keep me reading. I don't think I particularly connected with Liza, but I like Christian enough to look beyond him and just follow him through so no worries.

Keep it up!

Heather xx

lace182 says...

This chapter goes from an interesting setting in a restaurant to an unexpected scene on the bus then a conversation that seems incongruous with the way the night began or progressed.

I like the decor in the restaurant enough that I wonder you didn't take advantage of the distractions there to have some of the later discussion. Once they arrive home it seems to me the conversation would be frantic, excited, and any idea of sleeping would be useless let alone talking calmly over tea. Mind you I am considering this chapter by itself. Previous chapters might explain the reasons for no conversation over dinner or the apparent extreme tiredness as well as the character's apparent disinterest in the bus accident.

I feel Liza should be wondering why the bus flipped. If I were in such an unexplained accident (I would not accept the 'someone hit us' excuse unless someone saw the culprit) I would have been asking other passengers what happened, wondering about it out loud, and discussing every detail repeatedly through the night until I was told to shut it. Instead Liza tries to take a nap. Really? Ok. Like I said, I don't know if there is a reason she is so tired. Then again, if she were that tired, why go out? Why not stay home and rest? Why not invite Christian over?

Christian, on the other hand, sees a hell hound and doesn't appear concerned. One other person sees it and he is terrified. If Christian is capable of fighting this beast, taming it or controlling it, why didn't he? Why just look at it like a typical dog running after a bus? Why be so nonchalant about being under a pile of people after the bus tips?

I like the story in that is has incongruous events but I feel the chances for reaction are there and not put to use. I hope my observations help you understand how some of it is interesting but other parts are too emotionally flat given the circumstances.

Might I suggest you try to consider how your characters could react if faced with the situations you have created? Try to imagine yourself in their shoes given whatever knowledge you would have if you were that character with their friendships, their powers, their expectations, and plans rather than what your character needs to do next or how best to enter and exit a scene. It is not always the plot that drives a tale or the fantastic scenes but the emotional connections within that plot. Consider all ways they could react and choose those that drive the scenes best.

Thanks for your submission. I hope my review helps.

Iggy wrote a review...

Hi darling! :D

So while this chapter was packed with a lot of delicious action, I can't help but be disappointed with Christian and Minerva and their romance. I feel like most of the chapters are focusing on them, and not the overall plot. Goblin is becoming less and less of a threat because his presence is hardly mentioned in the chapters. The hellhound kind of put the focus back on the problem, but then it was lost as Christian's thoughts were on Minerva and Minerva only.

I'm growing more and more disappointed with Christian, because he isn't forming into the hero I expect him to be. He keeps on being a guy and having his entire focus on a woman and not his hurt friend or anything. I'm not happy. >:(

I'm also not happy with the fact that no one has told Liza where her husband is. Like, not even a lie. For all she knows, he could be dead, and that's not cool, nor does it feel realistic. How has she not called the police yet? Had people searching for him? After 72 hours, they have to declare him missing and start looking for him. This is a small nitpick, but it leaves a gaping whole in my overall image of this story, because I want this to be realistic and then not realistic, and it's shifting from one to the other. I want a nice balance.

Other than that, I loved the hellhound attack. The action is staring to build up, if hellhounds have been sent out to find him and possibly kill him. As a woman, I can totally relate to Liza and I want to hug her and cuddle her and I feel for her. :( I'm hoping Conrad heals already and gets home to her and he better tell her the truth.

*moves over to next installment*

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline