z

Young Writers Society



Plastic People

by BlueGlow


Synthetic

Apathetic

Hallucinogenic

Systematic

The people are plastic

Perfectly formed in society’s mould

Perfectly shaped by the grand designer

There are no imperfections

A society of fiction

Existing only in the service of itself

Why should one progress

When everything is fine?

The apathetic sit and watch as the world slowly sours

And I gave up a long time ago

Jaded

Watched

Paranoid

Afraid

The plastic people walk and watch

Looking for imperfections

Things to complain about

To their apathetic friends

No one cares about much of anything

Hyper Individualism has taken its hold

Why does no one care about their neighbor?

Why not their compatriots?

Why have compassion

When the machine will fix the imperfections?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 15

Donate
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:35 pm
View Likes
Rodionandaxe wrote a review...



Hi! Hope you are doing well. Here's a little review,
You have used a wonderful metaphor - Plastic People. There are a lot of poems about society and its cruelty but never have i come across one where people are compared to some thing so synthetic as plastic. What a thoughtful way to emphasize the manufacture of people by society.

The use of single but very powerful words in different lines makes the reader focus on them more. Your vocabulary is very diverse here, good job on that.

The people are plastic
Perfectly formed in society's mould

To me the above line feels like the heart of the poem, its a wonderful imagery.

The plastic people walk and watch

Looking for imperfections

Things to complain about

To their apathetic friends

There is nothin wrong with complaining, we are human we need to lighten our emotional burden but when that complaining is a result of ungratefulness then its a shallow deed, the above line describes it well.

Hyper Individualism has taken its hold

Why does no one care about their neighbor?

Why not their compatriots?

Why have compassion

When the machine will fix the imperfections?

The above lines are very aptly questioning the problem of todays world. Individualism is important to stop us from turning into a flock of sheep {I am sure sheeps are also very individualistic but to a common human they all look the same;) } But i feel there is a need for more compassion among people now a days. This is as much an advice for myself as others.

Here's a suggestion,
Maybe you could try using a bit more punctuations in your poem, it helps the reader understand the flow.

All in all, i love your poem. Keep writing such great pieces.<3




BlueGlow says...


Thanks for the review and thanks for understanding the message! In the future I will make sure to include better punctuation. Thanks for taking time to read, review, and otherwise consider my work!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 30
Reviews: 25

Donate
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:57 pm
View Likes
BIHXY wrote a review...



well, this was excellently done and brought together. I highly commend you. As a poetry lover, I love symbolism as much as the next guy and reading your piece had me grinning like an idiot. What can I say? I loved it!! I mean.. you hit all the key points and I couldn't stop nodding my head in agreement the entire time. This was stupendous. Never stop writing my friend. you are onto something good.




BlueGlow says...


Hey thanks! Glad I nailed the symbolism as that was a huge focus! Thanks for taking to time to read and review!




The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain