Comfort Zone

by BlueGlow

Why should one ever grow?

Why should one ever progress?

When doing the same thing over and over,

Leads to minor success.

Why should I ever push myself?

Why should I seek a challenge?

When continuing along this path,

Is so easy?

The answer my friends, is this:

The push and grind

The challenge and risk

Is what leads to greater success

It may be hard

You might fall along the way.

You might have to go the extra mile,

But the effort is worth the reward.

Darkheart4life wrote a review...

Hey BlueGlow!
This is actually a really good poem! I enjoyed it, I typically don't like poetry but this poem is actually relatable for me which i don't often find in things like poetry! most times when i can relate to something its typically a story or book. this poem really sings true with me! I love that you took the time and put in the effort to write something this relatable! I also love the sad/depressed tone at the beginning then towards the end it becomes more positive, upbeat, and self encouraging! The topic of comfort zones is a broad expanse to cover. i think if you took this poem and made it into a series it would be a huge hit.

BlueGlow says...

I'll take it into consideration! Thanks for reviewing!

Absolutely No problem happy to give a positive review when one is most definitely deserved!

LittleLee wrote a review...

Hi, BlueGlow! It's nice to see another one of your poems up so soon!

Once again, the topic you've chosen is interesting and with a lot of potential! We all know our comfort zones, don't we? I like that you've decided to explore the inhibitions of these.

On a personal note, though, I dislike how you've portrayed a comfort zone as something inherently bad, something that always keeps you from doing better. Sometimes, staying in your comfort zone is okay. It's okay to not want to try new things. It has nothing to do with laziness or lack of effort; it has to do with mental health at times. I read somewhere that comfort zones are places where people go to mentally recharge, where we can conserve our energy and feel safe, and I agree with that. i think you should have made a point about how always staying in your comfort zone is bad.

Anyway, back to the poem.

Leads to minor success.

I think you ought to remove the comma and replace the fullstop with a question mark. It flows better that way.

When continuing along this path,

Is so easy?

Here, you've done one of the two things I mentioned; I suggest removing the comma as well.

The push and grind

The challenge and risk

Is what leads to greater success

It may be hard

You might fall along the way.

Punctuation is very fluid in poetry, but keep in mind that you may end up creating unintended enjambments that cause confusion.

You might have to go the extra mile,

You usually do have to go the extra mile. That's what can be taxing.

All in all, it's a good poem. It could be a lot better, though. I think the main difference between this poem and your other one is that that one had a more original take on something, whereas here the reader doesn't learn anything new or learn to think differently. It isn't an original idea that you've proposed. That's what keeps this from being an excellent poem. But you've still made a commendable effort, and the poem is good.

I hope you have a good day, and didn't find my review too harsh!

~ Lee

BlueGlow says...

Gotcha, I'm still attempting to get to grips with punctuation in poetry. Your perspective on the matter of staying in one's comfort zone is interesting. I'll work on improving some of things you've mentioned. Thanks for leaving such an in-depth review!

MapleWay wrote a review...

Hey there! MapleWay here dropping by with a quick review!

This was a great poem! I really liked the overall message of pushing out of your comfort zone when things are tough. And in the end, the goal will be worth it. It was very profound. I think my favorite part was the repetition. I'm a big sucker when it comes to it so great job! I also liked how you developed the rhythm. It seemed to get quicker and more intense as the poem went on.

Anyways great poem! Could you maybe tag me if you write another?

BlueGlow says...

Thanks for the kind words! If I decide to write more, which is kind of inevitable at this point, I'll make sure to tag you! Thanks for reviewing!

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf