Where I'm From (for class)

by BluesClues

First,

the bustle of Union Station:

a river of bodies slipping back

and forth like fish

garbled announcements about

trains pulling in, trains

ready to board.

My sisters talking Italian-loud as they stride beside me,

laughing and tossing their hair.

(My train pulled in on Christmas day.)

Garbled announcements over

the roar and rumble of the machine shop.

A small office strewn with

Bibles of various print and publication, old copies of Writer's Digest,

spare bits of magic tricks and oily handkerchiefs

a computer harking back to dinosaur times, and,

in the midst of it all,

my grandfather laboring over the story

of a woman he loved before my nana,

unfinished. Erasable blue ink scrawled in

sloppy skip-lined cursive I will later type up

for eight dollars an hour and a sandwich

at Ken’s Country Kitchen,

where the waitresses know his name and order.

Sloppy skip-lined cursive scrawled

on the kitchen wall--

Home is where the whiteboard is.

A countertop cluttered with mason jars:

the kitchen hot and cramped, heavy

with summer air and

the stinging scent of hops out back.

My mom stooped over the sink,

cutting, crushing, canning

homemade jam

all

summer

until my six-year-old self comes in

and announces

she only likes jelly.

All summer,

memory hanging like a bridle and bit

in the slowly swirling dust by the barn door.

Leathery and comfortable like home, the hides

of the horses nickering on the other side of the gate.

The creak of the barn shifting and settling

deeper into the earth.

The creak and roll of the ocean,

breathing and frothing like some great beast.

A crowded bar on the hotel’s second floor:

a saxophonist blowing smooth covers over

the cheering of the men at a touchdown.

From the balcony,

the moon glinting on the Atlantic,

the beery smell of my dad beside me,

the briny breeze that plays with my hair.

The moon shimmering

through the windows of our Dodge Ram.

A backseat crammed with luggage and sisters:

Mom sitting cross-legged between the seats,

reading The Alligator and His Uncle Tooth out loud

as Daddy drives us to Florida.

Snow swirls outside while

visions of palmetto leaves dance in our heads.

Snow swirls out the windows

of a train winding through the mountains to Virginia.

The lonesome whistle in the crisp night air,

the darkness pressing against the windowpanes

then sliding past

like fish in a river.

Like the crowds at Union Station.

(I lift my face to memory and then move on

before it can nest in my hair.)

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:53 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hey BA,

I'm really happy to see you're home again. Welcome back.

I think this is a really descriptive poem and I can visualize what you're talking about with the family, the home, the country. I really love that about this poem. You did a great job showing us the sounds, the smells, the sensations of this location and that brings it to life. It does more than just describe it, it brings in all of your senses and allows you to feel it. Your descriptions like "lonesome whistles" and "beerey smell of my dad" are what really stand out for this poem.

I feel like you might be able to trim some of the poem out? If you tried to condense it, you might get a better result from the meandering poem and make it more of a direct route if you want to. You don't need to. I think the poem has a lot of value just as it is. You've created a good direction with it, and the images are clear to me. I like that you use all of your scenes to make details not only about the characters in the scene, but the speaker. You don't leave the speaker out, but tell us things like they probably speak Italian, and that they're by a train station, they like horses, they live or lived with horses close. They write, a lot. All of these details make the poem come alive, and if you make sure that all of them are necessary, then we'll have the best piece we can have. Right now, I think it might be there.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:49 pm
Rook wrote a review...

I probably didn't get this to you in time, but here I am.

I loved this poem. It was a beautiful read. You have delicious memories.

Let's just go over a few things that bothered me.

FIRST THING: UNION STATION.
There are like a billion union stations in the world. I liked to think that you were talking about /my/ union station in Chicago, but who knows! Without a definite idea of the place, I don't really know where to picture this. Chicago Union Station is a lot different than the Los Angeles/San Diego/New Haven/Denver/ wherever station. Relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station

At first, the transitions were confusing. From the train station to the machine shop... well I thought that your grandfather had an office /in/ the train station. Also, if you're trying to cut down on the size of this, you might consider removing a few of the (while very beautiful) unneeded details of that stanza. There's a lot of objects there.

But I see what you were trying to do with the transitions: take one detail from the previous part and insert it into this new part. That was very effective, but at the beginning, I couldn't distinguish it.

There were some parts of this that weren't as memorable as they could've been. For example, the thing with the barn and the horses? I kind of blasted through that saying "yeah, yeah, whatever." Honestly, I think I would have ended this poem right after "she only likes jelly." That's only because, yes, it is long, but also because I don't know how important these other details are to you. Obviously, some (or all) of these things really really shaped who you are. I think you should find the most important..

As it is though, I like it. I just felt like I lost focus after the jelly part. I wasn't sure where we were any more, because we kept switching states and weather and people and situations without much intro into those. Which, perhaps is how you felt. I don't know.

That's mostly what I have for this, because I don't want to go too deeply into this-- it reflects your life, and who am I to say "this isn't important."

Hope this helped! Great job, Keep writing!
~fortis

BluesClues says...

It is too late, but I forgive you since it's actually my fault for only finishing and posting a first draft 19 hours before my class. I spent the morning revising based on the other reviews, so that's what I'm turning in, but I'll probably keep revising. I'm thinking of turning it into a series because I want to do too much for one poem. Because it's personal. It's so hard.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:14 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here

So just to let you know, I have no idea what I will say in this review. At a first glance, this piece is perfect. I love your message, and the story throughout. You say it is personal, and by the words you tell us in here, I am assuming it is something that happened/happens in your life. So you're saying it's a "Where I am from" poem? Good, because that is totally the image I get from this. Even without you giving me that sosubtle hint as to what and who this poem is about, I could see that it was about someone's past. Kind of "the way things used to be like for me", and "where I came from". So I think you really succeeded there.

The only thing I can do is read through again, and see if I pick up on anything as I read. Reaaady?

So now that I have read it all the way through a few times, I admit I was confused. >.< The first time it took me a moment to see what this was really about. It starts with an unknown description of a train station (or whatever station that is), but I don't really feel connected to that stanza as a piece of who you are. It's more like you're describing an image I need to see in my mind for a book, but in a disconnected way without much emotion put into the words. I think you need to put more of "where I am from" rather than "what this looks like". Or, wait. I just read through it again, and see the possible significance of Italian. Now this is a guess, I suppose, because the piece doesn't say exactly, but is this saying the character was an immigrant from Italy? If so, then that would make complete sense. But the confusion is still there, and it still took me a while to understand - and that is assuming I finally understood the message of the line correctly. I believe you need to take each individual stanza (since they seem to be separated in many ways), and ask yourself, "what am I telling the reader here?" and tweak your wording and remove needless description, also adding more on the actual characters than merely focusing on the setting.

I would say the same for the second stanza.

and announces:

she only likes jelly.

I love this part so much. <3

Snow swirls outside while

Snow swirling out the windows

Those two mentions of swirling snow were about two lines apart. I would take the first one out, since the second one's line seems to depend on the image of the snow more than the first. I do like the picture it paints, though. Your description in general is quite lovely, and reminds me somewhat of those good old days with Book Man (although these descriptions are more poetry than Book Man). Dang, I just read through again and noticed the repeating of the words throughout. >.< I don't know anymore. Every time I think I have a nitpick, I look again and boom - not what I thought it was.

I suppose my biggest and only nitpick of this piece would be that I felt somewhat disconnected from the narrator throughout, like the person telling us all this wasn't actually the one who experienced it, but was just describing a picture to us. I would have liked to see more emotion from you in many places, like in the second stanza, how you felt about the typing out of that story for the eight dollars an hour (plus the sandwich). And then in the place like where you walk in and announce that you only like jelly. I know this is a story of your past, and your path to who you are now - and so your older self could have little comments throughout or something. Anything to bring us closer to the narrator and character in this, I think. I suppose just telling you I felt somewhat disconnected is enough, and tells you what you may need to work on? Bring me in closer.

It's funny. While I didn't like the descriptions in the way that they seemed to take away from the emotion in the piece, I loved them for a different reason. They were amazing. <3 If you can add emotion and leave the description the way it is - do it. You did a wonderful job, and I especially liked how you were naming names there (Ken’s Country Kitchen, for example). That seemed to make it more of a narrator doing it, and like telling story of your past. And your formatting. O.O It's strange, but it seemed to help the flow of the piece and help me read along with a kind of direction. Like the formatting kept me reading at a certain pace and accentuated certain lines and such without doing anything save or isolating it or pasting it in odd places.

(The title of this totally did not remind me of Where I come From - Alan Jackson.) I loved this piece, and think you did a wonderful job. <3 You're gonna ace your class. :)
~Darth Timmyjake

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:27 am

Not sure if this review is still helpful or if you've had your class yet. But I believe I've written a "where I'm from" poem before so will try to help. I like your interesting double indentations - a clever way of sorting into semi-stanzas.

Although I adore your imagery I wonder if in a few points you go too far. (Don't give the reader enough to just work up with their imagination). I know it's hard to write something that is supposed to be personal but at the same time give the reader room to put themselves in the poem.

I think in your first "stanza" with the train station you don't need the lines:
"storefronts and kiosks,

garbled announcements about trains

pulling in, trains

ready to board."
I like the part about "trains pulling in, trains ready to board" though because trains are good metaphors and I think those to lines make it seem like your life is going through change or you are faced with choices.

The next bit about your sisters is a bit wordy too, but I think the wordiness illustrates how busy the train station is so maybe it's not really an issue. It gives me as the reader a little bit of an overwhelmed feeling to read about them swinging arms, talking loudly, laughing, and tossing their hair - it's just hard to picture that string of verbs and visualize if they are happening all at once with both of your sisters doing them in unison or not. Also it makes me wonder where you are during all of this business. Are you just observing or are your swinging and laughing as well?

The part about your grandpa is really sweet - although I'm still looking for you in the midst of it.

The line about the white board seems a little out of place unless it was tied a little more clearly to the cursive lines. It just doesn't seem to fit the mood you describe in the kitchen sweaty, cramped, homey, busy. A white board seems clean, open, cool.

I really like the line about the jelly. This starts to give me a sense of you in inside your poem. You are from your memories and stubbornness it sounds like.

I think the line "salt-kissed ocean-smelling breeze" is a little almost redundant. The reader can infer you're talking about the ocean when you say "salt-kissed" and say the Atlantic in the next line, not to mention you wrote the "ocean" a few lines prior. Also maybe take out "ocean-smelling" just because you use the word smell a couple lines before.

It's interesting that you refer to your mom as "my mother" and your dad as "my daddy" - I'm opposite I always say "mom" & "father". :)

I didn't look too hard for grammar issues - but I didn't catch any mistakes really. My only other overall suggestion is to give the reader some imagination liberty and credit, lead them along the way giving the important parts without spelling everything out quite so much.
It was a really good read though, and honestly even if you don't make any cuts I don't think it was too long of a poem either.

I really like the last couple lines and the entire tone of your poem. A lot of it has a heavy, busy, homey feel but then there is a contrast with the traveling and the ocean and then it ends by pulling all the strings together in a nice refreshing conclusion.

Good job, and good luck!

~alliyah

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:15 am
TurquoiseLion wrote a review...

Wonderful! This reminds me of my hometown (New York City) and the beauty in the mundane.
We can’t all live in Hawaii.
I can see that office- it looks like the one in The Cricket in Times Square- different objects, same room. Maybe it looks nothing like that, and maybe it does- but that’s perception, isn’t it? Isn’t the idea what matters?
And the country house- I saw it as a different house- is so idyllic, as if an 80s family fell onto the prairie…
Anyway, enough about me. Your writing is amazing, and (obviously) I could really feel it.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:16 am
ketr3n wrote a review...

Soft, gentle, and smooth flowing from one memory to another: you wrap around from the start at Union Station to an end at Union Station. You may think you can't write deeply, but this is it. The understated way you present your memories really let me "see" the movement of the snow swirls and feel the crisp air. The writing feels really, really mature and not overdone. You know, a lot of younger writers will have all of these dramatic, flourishing metaphors, but this is a great example of how that style is not necessary to create a poem that is really "poetic." It's really fantastic just how it is.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:11 am

Hey there BlueAfrica! Sounds like you need this fast, so I'll try.

Overall, I really like this, though I have to agree that it's a bit long.

My sisters’ arms swinging as they stride beside me,
talking Italian-loud and laughing,
tossing their hair.

I love the first stanza, except for this. Are you personifying your sister’s arms? It might work in a different context, but I’d consider cutting the last two lines here and ending with the image of your sister’s arms.

Don’t repeat “garbled announcements”, especially since I think we’re in a new place now.

Okay, so there’s a lot of imagery in this next stanza, which might be too much of a good thing here. It kind of takes away from the focus your grandfather. Personally, I’d cut the thing about the sunbathing alligator…it captures my attention a little too well and it’s an entire line and a half. I think the other images are fine because they tell us something about the main focus without distracting from him.

Okay now I see what you’re trying to do with the repeating lines. This second one was smoother than the first.

Oh man, your poor mother! This is my favorite section so far. My only quibble is that there’s lots of colons and it’s confusing me a bit. It’s definitely not needed in the last two lines, but I’m not sure about the first two.

The ocean scene is good but could be trimmed a bit. For example, you could say “men cheering at a touchdown” without also mentioning that a football game is on TV. It’s obvious. You could also trim the bit about the couple if you really wanted to cut, even though I liked it.

The ending is a little confusing. Is everything after “Snow swirling out the windows” supposed to be on the same subject? The indenting is a little weird so I’m not sure.

the way I lift my face to the wings of memory and then move on
before it can settle in my hair.

Okay so your last two lines are so perfect, but they get a little lost right now. I suggest setting this aside as a left indented line tying everything together “I lift my face…”

Good luck with your assignment! And of course, keep writing!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:05 am
FancyDragon wrote a review...

It's interesting very nice. It is well written and the format is cool. there are a lot of lines i liked in this work. liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike!!!!!!!

then sliding past

like fish in a river.

I LIKE THE IMAGERY YOU USED.

a football game on TV and

the cheering of the men at a touchdown.

From the balcony, the beery smell

of my daddy beside me,

the salt-kissed ocean-smelling breeze,

the moon shimmering on the Atlantic,

and a couple plodding across the sand in the dark,

leaving faded footprints in their wake.

You use a lot of beautiful imagery well done.
keep up the good work.

I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights