Big Words

by BluesClues

Josh leaned forward in his chair, and his expression told me his admonishments weren’t over. He had already berated me for my first offense: the use of the word “myriad.” Though it appeared mid-sentence, it now stood out on the page as if I had bolded it, italicized it, and underlined it twice.

“I bet you and me are the only ones in this room who even know what it means,” he said in a low voice.

That seemed unlikely. I glanced around the nondescript gray room, filled with pairs of college students sitting at small, round tables like ours.

“Josh, we’re in the writing center.”

“I’m serious,” he said. “You could ask anyone in this room what myriad means, and I bet they wouldn’t be able to tell you.”

I was pretty sure the other tutors could. “Sure, whatever.”

“I’m just saying. If it was me, I’d just say ‘many.’”

How utterly dull.

Josh spent the next half hour attempting to convince me to dumb down the “big words” in my story. Among the offenders were “bespectacled” and “intoxicated.” Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I have used words the multitudes are apparently incapable of learning.

I nodded without listening as Josh pointed out yet another too-complex word. It wouldn’t have been so irritating if he’d given me suggestions for improving the story, as well - patching up a plot hole or developing a character - but no. He focused solely on my diction. It’s not as if I use such words to impress people. It’s not as if I throw around words like “hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia” without knowing what they mean. I just read a lot. Words like “myriad” are at my fingertips.

At the end of our session, Josh escorted me to the door. Maybe it was a gesture born of his natural Southern gentlemanliness, but more likely it was because of what happened next.

Before I could make my escape, he stopped by the front desk. A chunky girl with a bush of kinky hair that had been tamed into a ponytail was poring over the check-in sheet. Josh rapped the desk with his knuckles and asked her, “Do you know what a myriad is?”

She looked up and blinked at him. There was a pause as she shifted from one foot to the other, but then she decided he was serious. “Could you use it in a sentence?”

“No,” he said, but context is important. I vetoed his no and gave her the offending sentence from my story. Her expression cleared.

“Oh, so it’s like a plethora.”

I could have kissed her. Instead, I grinned, thanked her, and shouldered my backpack. As I headed out the door, I heard her say, “Fallout Boy has a new album coming out. I’m so ecstatic.”

“Just say happy,” Josh growled.

My grin broadened. Good word, ecstatic.

I’m not sure what Josh’s problem is with “big words,” but he’s not the first person to tell me I use too many of them. I usually respond by asking, “...which word did I use that was big?”

To which the invariable reply is: “I don’t know, but it was big!”

Very helpful. Thanks.

It doesn’t help that I’m a snob about the idea of “big words.” I don’t consider a word “big” unless it has more syllables than “Elizabeth.” What people mean, of course, is that the words I use are unfamiliar, but perhaps “unfamiliar” is too big a word for them.

It’s not that I resent being told I “use big words.” But I resent being told I should simplify my language because “most people don’t know those words” - especially since “most people” can’t recall which of my words are above them. I don’t think of my words as “big.” How can I simplify my language if no one can tell me which words need to be dialed down?

Besides, I love words: their history, the relationships between them, the different shades of meaning each one can possess. The way they look when I write them down; the shape of them in my mouth. Why do words like “bespectacled” and “intoxicated” exist, if not for me to use them?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am
kayfortnight says...

I love this piece. There is no such thing as a true synonym, I feel, because every word has a different connotation. I can spend ten minutes just picking a particular word, depending on how essential it is to my piece. I love chatting about diction with my friends. This is perfect.

FaulknerCannes wrote a review...

First of all, I have to say, I don't relate with the message of this story at all. Then again, I'm not like most people in this community. Avid writers, that is, which by extension, means that they are avid readers as well. Anyway.

Since the protagonist pointed out that no one seem to mention what the 'big words' here, I had to look up the dictionary five times in total for these words: nondescript, diction, rapped, vetoed, and plethora.

Now, I'm not against the use of big words, though I must mention that there is the other side of the argument involving the sense of condescension and elitism that come with these words. Just saying. I use seemingly 'big words' quite often myself, but when someone calls them 'big words', I helpfully explain it to them, not deride their supposed stupidity, as the protagonist has implied. I understand myself how difficult it is to understand certain words in the big world of vocabulary, after all, a sentiment that you might not share as an avid reader, if I'm to presume that you share the feelings of the protagonist.

Now that we've put aside my thoughts on the aspects of your story that didn't involve your 'diction', let's move on to the diction itself.

Maybe it was a gesture born of his natural Southern gentlemanliness

This sentence felt a little dragged out, and it feels a little crowded with the three words, "natural", "Southern", and "gentlemanliness" (which, by the way, my spell check said is not a real word, but whatever) crammed together. Lose one of these three words, as two adjectives is more than enough.

A chunky girl with a bush of kinky hair that had been tamed into a ponytail was poring over the check-in sheet.

Again, I feel that too many adjectives were crammed in to make a point, a point which could have been explained as smoothly as the rest of your story by splitting the sentence into two, or just lose half of the sentence. Show more with less. Brevity.

Otherwise, this is a very well-written story with a strong focus on its theme while having a smooth flow that any reader could easily comprehend, aside from the few 'big words' every now and then. :P

Good job on the writing, though the story itself is debatable.

BluesClues says...

Well, I do explain my words when someone asks--the problem is, people rarely ask. They just say, "You use too many big words" and open with a judgement rather than an attempt to understand. What I used to do, when I came across words I didn't know in a story, was precisely what you did with this story: picked up a dictionary. That's part of the reason my vocabulary is so big in the first place! I commend you for doing that--I don't think people are "stupid" for not knowing these words, but I do think that writing them off as "too big" rather than even attempting to understand them is stupid.

(Actually, you used quite a few words these people would've told me are too big: brevity, avid, deride, debatable, comprehend, condescension, elitism...)

Anyway, the point here was not to deride such people as stupid but rather lament the fact that they try to restrict my expression through deciding which words are okay for me to use and which are not...although if you didn't get that, perhaps I need some revision to make that clearer.

On the other advice you gave: the problem with the description of the girl at the desk is that the only piece of advice people gave me in class for this story was "more imagery." Which, you can probably tell, this particularly narrative doesn't exactly lend itself to, focusing on words. But I agree, that sentence is far too clunky. I might take your advice and split it into two, but I've already spent so much time playing around with it that I think the best I can do is say "screw imagery" and put it back the way it was originally.

amac says...

Hello-
I really liked this story. It was short and sweet :). And I definitely liked your topic. Some of my classmates get irritated by "big words" or in reality, words they just don't understand. :P I really liked your take on this topic. Thanks for writing this. ;)

BluesClues says...

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 pm
EPICnumber1 says...

Hi, I am amazed by this piece. I don't see anything to critique so I'll just say that I love this and I'd like to read more of your short stories.

BluesClues says...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 pm
AndrewRayne wrote a review...

It is wonderful, and a relief that a mind could capture so elegantly an idea that is so dully fabricated. Marvelous to say the least.

I wish to critique, but there's ultimately nothing I see. I wish not to analyze for the beauty of it is rich with so much passion, I desire only to give it credit where it is due. Here I have just read the fundamental truth of written language. Either to appeal the harsh reality that we live in a culture that could no more distinguish "plethora" from "allot" without Google. Or appeal to the other half of select few who can distinguish prominence from mockery, even though eventually it will be resculpted to compliment lesser minds by copyright.

I loved it. The closing paragraph being true and marvelous. "The shape of them in my mouth." Oh, I have half the mind to steal this for my own use. Though I will restrain as long as possible. The language of it is "intoxicating". :)

Till next time.

BluesClues says...

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked it.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:31 pm
JoytheBrave says...

I totally get this! People are always telling me to "speak English" when I use a word "too big."

BluesClues says...

And you're like, "...I am speaking English?" Though to be fair, probably some of the words were stolen from French or what have you.

JoytheBrave says...

Or stolen from Latin. But most English words are.

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor