z

Young Writers Society


12+

Sweet Home

by Bloo


This is a spoke word piece, so I'm including a ]ink to the audio of a reading of it. I feel like I need to say more, but I have nothing else to. Onto the poem. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUgq_rX5N69ZVl6RGdNZWxiVmM/view?usp=sharing (the audio)

Sweet Home


My home is in disarray.

Hidden behind a bushel of weeds.

Paint peeling on the outside, muted colors interrupted

By vibrant tags sprayed across a cracked background

Door sprinkled in sinking depressions,

the knob left covered in dust

-

I can count the people I trust without a full hand

I’m-

I’m ready to open the door,

but it rarely finds a knock

Maybe if it did I’d be more inclined to clean up

-

Splintered wooden walls,

piles of trash littered about

Caked in splattered whites and yellows, of old halloween tricks

Rotted floorboards, covered in glass shards

and dusty baseballs,

Which creaks in boons, at the shake of the wind

Groaning annoyance to all in the neighborhood

-

Those that do pass through,

keep their appearance brief

-

Staying silent when they slink out

as I turn away

-
-

End up seeing more of their shadow than their face

Left wondering what about mine strikes such fear through

Intimidating children that pass casually,

sparking a challenge in a rare few

Not to restore,

but to pry through.

the doors I kept locked,

And boast about the damage they brought

-

Oblivious to the damage they deal

How something passive and blunt could pierce

So deep to my core

-

To glimpse at the despair that will drive them away

For fear that they might become trapped in these walls one day

A fear I know too intimately

_________________


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 11
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:09 pm
Kazeybear wrote a review...



Hi! Kazey here for a review!

I really love the imagery you've got going on here. It was vibrant in my mind and so very beautiful. I think you really succeeded in bringing out very raw emotion in this piece, so well done. It kind of took me back to the 1920s or a similar era, and made me think about the cause of this persons isolation. Perhaps the are shunned for a disability. A lifestyle choice. A mistake in the past. Whatever the reason, you kept it ambiguous so that the readers mind could wander.

I feel there are parts of the poem lacking punctuation, whereas other parts are full of it. I personally prefer poems to be consistent the way through, though that is perhaps just my stylistic preference. For instance, the ends of many stanzas contain no period, question mark, exclamation point etc. and for me that is a must.

Other than that I have nothing else to say about the poem. It was very articulate and beautiful, and I was honestly struggling for a criticism to give!

~Kazey




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:03 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



You have some good imagery going on in this poem, both with actual images (“caked in splattered whites and yellows of old Halloween tricks”) and the way your line breaks relate to the poem. My two favorite spots are these.

Paint peels on the outside, muted colors interrupted
By vibrant tags sprayed across a cracked background


Those that do pass through,
keep their appearance brief


In the first, I like that the word “interrupted” is in a line that is, itself, interrupted by a line break. In the second, I like that this stanza about “brief” interactions is only two lines long. If I hadn’t heard you read this, I would suggest to take a pause both before and after that stanza so listening audience members get the same feeling from listening to that stanza that I did from reading—but since I did hear it, I know you did it, so well done there.

The consonant sounds are pretty good—I paid close attention to them on my last read-through and felt good about the consonant sounds in words like “splintered,” “locked,” “littered,” and “caking.” “Door sprinkled in sinking depressions” was a particularly good line for sound. Overall I feel like this could use more in the way of sound, however. It does depend how you perform, though. I don’t know if your actual performance differed from what I heard on your audio clip, but that sounded more like a straightforward reading.

So on the assumption that the audio clip is the same way you’d perform this live, I’d suggest modulating your pace so that it’s not so steady the whole time. In particular, when I read it aloud, I chose to speed up at these points.

By vibrant tags sprayed across a cracked background
Door sprinkled in sinking depressions,
the knob left covered in dust
I can count the people I trust without a full hand


Staying silent when they slink out
as I turn away
-
-
End up seeing more of their shadow than their face
Left wondering what about mine strikes such fear through
Intimidating children that pass casually,
sparking a challenge in a rare few
Not to restore,
but to pry through.
the doors I kept locked,
And boast about the damage they brought


One reason was to put some emphasis on rhyming words, like “dust” and “trust”—those two in particular are an interesting rhyme because “trust” doesn’t come at the end of its line. So I sped up to bring these two words closer together and then gave “trust” a bit of a punch.

(Plus the “interruption” that occurs right before this part stands out more when the rest of the words string together. Similarly, the “brief” stanza seems brief by comparison if the next two lines run into the stanza after that.)

The other reason I liked speeding up some parts was that running through some words gives the poem a feeling of urgency and frustration and anger at being so alone and disheveled and feared. I feel like that fits the tone of the poem.

Finally, three of your word choices bothered me.

Which creak in boons, at the shake of the wind


I’m not sure what you meant here, as “boons” means “gains,” “advantages,” or “blessings.” I guess I could see “creaks in boons” if you used it to mean something like “invites boons” but you used the specific sound that’s made rather than the more generic “invites.” Is that was what meant here? If not, I’d consider another word.

Left wondering what about mine strikes such fear through


“Through” didn’t make sense to me, especially since the next line doesn’t seem like a continuation of this one. Additionally, since “though” would make sense, I wondered if it was a typo…but then I listened to your reading, so I guess it’s not.

And boast about the damage they brought
-
Oblivious to the damage they deal


This doesn’t confuse me, but you use the word “damage” twice in close proximity, which sounded repetitious but not enough to be the on-purpose-poetic kind of repetitious. You might want to consider using a synonym for one of these.

Well, I hope that helped! I don’t write as much poetry as I used to, so I don’t review it at all. I enjoyed this, anyhow.




Bloo says...


Chewing on your thoughts for now. I really loved the edits you made, though, and how it added the urgency you talked about. Your point about adding more frustration is something I am definitely going to be following as well, because I feel I locked myself in a weird brood.


Kinda funny/cool note, the three lines you mentioned at the end were the main lines I wanted to mess with after recording (which, tbh, was pretty phoned in at 3am >.>). Creaking Boons especially, because that is an artifact line I never got around to fixing. (a bad habit I need to break)



BluesClues says...


Glad I could help :) It was a good read.



User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:30 pm
Ashketchem says...



In this story the judges are the best people. They are trying to help but some people don't ever allow judges to help. Judges say yes or no to Adoption. When you get Adopted some people are happy about that.





There has never been a sadness not cured by breakfast food.
— Ron, Parks & Rec