Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

The Lord of the Rings/Tolkien's Written Works/His Myth

by Bjorn

Well, it was an inevitability with me here(that this topic should be made). I have seen here: Questions about LOTR, which died, and Harry Potter versus the LotR. I am surprised that there is a place to compare it, and harass it(forgive me, to strong a word perchance), and not a place to properly discuss it. So here I'd like to hear your reviews solely on either: The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings/Any other written works by Tolkien/His Mythology in general/his posthumously published work. Let's keep movie talk to a minimum, but if it should arise that you have no prior 'experience' with any of Tolkiens work either pre-/post-morte, then you may talk about what knowledge you have of the movies.

Personally, I hear the same thing all the time, when it comes to negative feedback of The Lord of the Rings in particular. That is either: boring, and all it's manifestations(which is unjustified) and 'it's too detailed/too much description'-that is the single most blatant statement, that I hear the most, and which annoys me the most! Please do tell me, those of you who believe that such is the case with Prof. Tolkiens epic, how you have come by such a revelation!? Furthermore, if you have completed the trilogy in it's entireness? I am open to all remarks, statments, suggestions, praise, and/or feedback. In short, as the topic of this board states: review it.

I will give my own when time arises, however until then (which more than less likely will be tommorow) I would ask for yours to start the thread.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:29 pm
Bjorn says...

There is a Usergroup, and I would be glad if you joined.(and any other Tolkien fan that sees this!)

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:08 pm
Jojo says...

Sorry, guys, for mispelling Sil...what was that again? That is another aspect of Tolkien. The names are so rythmical and also enchanting.
Do you think we could start another LOTR fanbase here?(There have been so many already)

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:36 am
Bjorn says...

It is absolutely wondeful to know there is a fanbase on this board, and above and beyond the 'casual' I might say! To Jojo I say: it is indeed a literary masterpiece, and Tolkien himself said that writing something like he did would never have gotten done if he hadn't a map beside him in the beginning!(which he had, courtesy his son :))
The books are a trilogy, yes, but Bob(can I call you Bob?) it wasn not the authors decision to split the work-it was in fact his publishers idea to do it(an idea Tolkien was quite reluctant to conform to...). And I agree that it's the detail that draws me in too! I'm all for depth and detail, and can't possibly believe how people would choose Eragon or summat of lesser degree to it(sorry, I'm atacking...)! There is enough detail to draw people in, and yet not completely reveal. Tolkien indeed was a Linguist and Philologist, and was fluent in many ancient and modern languages aside from his made up ones!
I to am dissapointed when people mispell it, and! say it wrong! ('the Silmawhatta?'). Knowing (almost in full) the things which we are given glimpses of in the LotR, is in no way detering from its attractiveness (well, for me...). It's really a beautiful tale, and a strong one, despite it having no staple median from which it all revolves around(perhaps the Silmarils and how all who come in dealings with, become entangled in it's fate....Still, there is no one tale, such as the Quest in the LotR).
I'm glad there are some who are on the same level as me!

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:18 pm
backgroundbob wrote a review...

If I could just say, that post scared me.

Anyway, firstly: I'm a massive fan. I'm a sword and magic fan in a small way, though you won't catch me 'round a table playing D&D, or dressed up as an Orc for World Fantasy Day. Tolkien, however, that's the real deal - it's not just a set of books, it's an entire world, complete with a full history, creation story, gods and angels and devils... it's the depth that draws me in. I liked the Hobbit and the LotR, probably because of his style: I know some people have criticised it, but I can read those flowing descriptions all the way through without getting the least bit tired of them. There's action, too, but there's so much to be found in the language, because whatever else he was, J.R.R. was a master of language. The fact that he developed Elvish enough to be speakable says it all for me.
The Silmarillion (for some reason I get annoyed when book titles are spelled badly... grrr ;)) it something altogether different from the other two: it's a history book, but one in which stories about individuals form the keystone, instead of broad-sweeping historical ideas. I'm a fan of that as well, though maybe not quite as much as LotR.

Anyway, just my take. Couple of extra points.

The Lord of the Rings book (falsely called a trilogy)
I don't know what you've been reading, lad, but it's certainly a trilogy: that's three books, those being The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. They were written between 1936 and 1947, and were meant by the author to be completely separate books in a series. I know this because I have the copy in front of my right now, with the forward by J.R.R. Tolkien open.
Just one more thing.
Even though Samuel Jackson has done a pretty good job with the movies
That pains me, and pains me greatly. Samuel Jackson has nothing to do with LotR: that's more Star Wars.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:52 pm
Jojo wrote a review...

Prof. Tolkien is a master of fantasy literature. In Eriathror I have found another who sees eye to eye with me on Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings book (falsely called a trilogy) is one of the greatest literary masterpieces ever to be written. I would like to state that I have gone through Tolkien's Sylmarilion as well and the thing that makes him such an admirable person is his creation of the maps and the detailed history. In writing, Tolkien has created another world, that probably has very few simmilarities with our world. Even though Samuel Jackson has done a pretty good job with the movies, he can never accomplish what Tolkien has.

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault