z

Young Writers Society



The Secret of Tayburn Zoo: 9.1

by ExOmelas


A/N: Let me know if Crothers is too much of a caricature. I was annoyed at a lecturer called Carruthers when I wrote this xD

----

It was a cool Wednesday evening when the Neuromax representatives arrived for the bi-monthly inspection. The sun had sunk behind the heavy grey clouds hours ago, and the light of the moon was beginning to peep out instead. The night was quiet, with relatively few aeroplanes cruising by overhead. In the silence, the van rumbled up to the service entrance of the zoo.

Patrick took a deep breath and heaved the thick metal door open. The noise of the van’s engine faded away with a quiet purr, and the driver’s side door clicked open.

A slightly overweight man with grey hair, about ten years younger than Patrick, poked his head out the door.

“We good to go?” he shouted over.

Patrick pressed his teeth against each other and swallowed his irritation. The little upstart, Crothers, never had had any manners. Aurora had been talking for only two weeks and even she could manage hello, please and thank you.

But Patrick just nodded. “Yes. In you come.”

Crothers lumbered out of the big grey van, the gravel crunching under his heavy footsteps. His chest seemed to be thrust out under his heavy overcoat - there were peacocks in the zoo less full of themselves - even as he crossed the five step gap between himself and Patrick.

Patrick resisted the urge to groan. Crothers’ presence was always so loud, even when he wasn’t saying anything. So loud, in fact, that Patrick didn’t notice a tall blonde woman, maybe in her mid-thirties, step up to Crothers’ side.

“Hi there, Mr McAfferty. My name’s Tracy, Tracy MacLean. I’m a new technician with Neuromax,” the woman said, extending her hand to Patrick.

Patrick shook it, and smiled. She wasn’t a mouse by any stretch, but at least he couldn’t feel arrogance seeping out her pores.

"Good evening, Ms. MacL-"

The breath was knocked out of Patrick as Crothers brushed roughly past his shoulder on his way through the door.

MacLean caught Patrick's eye before he turned around to follow, and with wide eyes she mouthed an apology. Patrick waved it away and beckoned for her to come trot after Crothers with him as he thundered down the stairs. But a moment later, as Crothers reached the bottom of the stairs and turned around, he pointed a red, wrinkly finger at MacLean.

"I told you," he shouted, "I need you to go inspect the big animals! Elephants, giraffes, that sort of thing?"

"I know, sir-"

"And do you really think they can fit down here?" He waved his arm wildly, nearly bashing his knuckles against the banister.

"Oh, right." MacLean's eyes dropped to the ground, and spun around on one foot.

Patrick's shoulders slumped as she went back up the stairs and out the door, off towards the big animal enclosures. He looked down at Crothers, grimacing at how deeply he was frowning. Crothers never had been one for patience.

Patrick led MacLean through the underground to all the other enclosures, except Aurora, who Patrick would take him to via the above ground route. He’d decided not to tell Crothers about Aurora’s sudden awakening, and the fact that he had absolutely no clue how it had happened. All he knew was that all his previous assumptions were wrong. He’d thought the problem something he had done to these animals, but he had barely touched Aurora.

Crothers didn't say a word to any of the animals as he went gruffly about his business of various medical checks. Even when Chip, a member of the most acceptably bipedal species in the zoo, waved a nervous hello, Crothers simply averted his gaze. Patrick could feel bubbles in his blood simmering and bursting at the sight of Chip's slumped, despairing shoulders, or of Dexi's defiant snarl at Crothers' back. The ever proud Treego didn't even bother to say anything, just gave Crothers an icy glare, which also went unremarked.

When they were done, it was time to take Crothers to Aurora. Patrick's heart winced as he took Crothers back upstairs. It always seemed odd to Patrick that Neuromax had only built one staircase, but if you could have seen Crothers' face at Patrick's suggestion that they take the nearest ladder, you would be glad of it anyway. He should have prepared Aurora more, but in the past two months he'd forgotten just how odious his supervisor was.

Patrick forced himself to stay calm, and not throw the door open. This turned out to be the correct choice, because the moment he stepped out the doorway he bumped right into MacLean. She yelped and staggered backwards, though Patrick had only brushed her a little.

"S-sorry." she stammered. "I didn't know the code to get back in."

Crothers strode past both of them, shouting over his shoulder, "We're done down there now! Off to the panda."

MacLean patted down her super straight blonde hair and turned to follow her boss.

As they walked, they passed elephants, giraffes and rhinos, most of whom spotted MacLean and gave her a quick nod. Well, at least someone seemed to have been civil to the animals. One elephant in particular made a weird, angular swooshing motion with her trunk, which got a nervous giggle from MacLean. Patrick smiled at the thought that they'd got on well enough in their first meeting to have some sort of inside joke.

But the smile vanished from his face as he wrenched his eyes away from the elephants and back to his fellow humans. They had reached Aurora’s enclosure. Patrick stepped forward to unlock the gate, as the enclosure was still too new for the Neuromax officials to have made a key. His arm was still, but his fingers twitched a little. Luckily, a quick glance at Crothers showed that he was busy staring through the fence at Aurora anyway.

Patrick padded softly through the long grass, unsure if Aurora had noticed him yet. They'd agreed in advance that she would avoid eye contact with him when possible so as not to give anything away, so if she had noticed him she wouldn't be acknowledging his presence. It had been Chip's gaze that had first alerted Patrick, back in the Neuromax lab; seemingly consciousness could be found in the eyes.

"The thing deaf?" Crothers grunted.

In hindsight, zero acknowledgement of Patrick's presence probably wasn't the way to go.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4130 Reviews


Points: 260951
Reviews: 4130

Donate
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:53 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

And we march on.

First Impression: Well a bit of a turn of events there. Reveals some interesting information.

Anyway let's get to it,

It was a cool Wednesday evening when the Neuromax representatives arrived for the bi-monthly inspection. The sun had sunk behind the heavy grey clouds hours ago, and the light of the moon was beginning to peep out instead. The night was quiet, with relatively few aeroplanes cruising by overhead. In the silence, the van rumbled up to the service entrance of the zoo.


Pretty nice opening description even if it is a bit on the minimal side.

The breath was knocked out of Patrick as Crothers brushed roughly past his shoulder on his way through the door.


Well that's one rude dude.

"Oh, right." MacLean's eyes dropped to the ground, and spun around on one foot.


As rude as that was why did MacLean not notice that earlier?

The ever proud Treego didn't even bother to say anything, just gave Crothers an icy glare, which also went unremarked.


Now I suddenly want to picture how a frog can give someone a glare.

As they walked, they passed elephants, giraffes and rhinos, most of whom spotted MacLean and gave her a quick nod. Well, at least someone seemed to have been civil to the animals. One elephant in particular made a weird, angular swooshing motion with her trunk, which got a nervous giggle from MacLean. Patrick smiled at the thought that they'd got on well enough in their first meeting to have some sort of inside joke.


Well that's an interesting turn of events right there. Is MacLean going to get involved in the zoo somehow?

"The thing deaf?" Crothers grunted.

In hindsight, zero acknowledgement of Patrick's presence probably wasn't the way to go.


Well that's interesting. It had two possible reasons, one of them which would be very intriguing and one which would be funny.

And that's it I think. Not much to see in this chapter.

Overall: Shows us this Neuromax influence. Those two characters seem a tad cliche almost but I think they will get more development later hopefully. Still not a big issue that they are not very complex.

And this had been a short review.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:26 am
Lib says...



Back again!!! =D

At least he couldn't feel arrogance seeping out of her pores.


Best. Line. Ever. This tells me how arragant this Crothers dude is. More arrogant than peacocks, lol! xD

Oof Crothers is so mean. "The thing deaf?" And then what you write after he said that makes me wonder if the fatty did anything to Aurora. If he did... *rolls up sleeves*

Also, omg, does Crothers and MacLean know that the animals talk??? I thought it was only between Pat and his fam??? Or maybe I misunderstood all the glares and nervous hellos and... Crothers saying "the thing deaf?" as if he expected it to talk back...??

~continuing on~




User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:30 am
Dossereana wrote a review...



Hi there @BiscuitsLeGuin I am here to do a review on your work here.
What I like most

The night was quiet, with relatively few aeroplanes cruising by overhead.
I love this line such good description here,

The little upstart, Crothers, never had had any manners.
I can see that Patrick does not like them very much, also Crothers is a grate sir name,but I do need to put this in suggestion because of something.

What needs a bit of work

The night was quiet, with relatively few aeroplanes cruising by overhead.
okay so I notes ed that aeroplanes is spelt wrong I will not go into correcting it for you for I am not shore how to spell that and I as you can see am not grate at my on spelling.

A slightly overweight man with grey hair, about ten years younger than Patrick,
I am not really shore about the grey hair most people don't get gray hair unless there old or they die it that color, I am guessing thats what he did other wise I am not quite shore, why it is gray.

“We good to go?” he shouted over.
I feel like your not really describing how his voice sounds here, or how his face looks, it can be any one of though but there is nothing of that I will put this one down in suggestions for you,

Suggestions
“We good to go?” he shouted over with a stern look on his face but a light and carom voice.
The little upstart, Crothers, never did have any manners.

Plot
I think that this is a very good story that you doing. I really feel like this is going some were, you doing really well with describing serton things the charaters have got very good names to, I do not really feel like there is very much of an enemy here though, but I guess there is Action in the chapter, so I can say that this is really good and you should kary on righting it, also if I come across as being to harsh on you I am really sorry about it and pleas for give me, So that is all that I can say, so keep up the grate work, I am looking forward to reading the next chapter.

your friend EagleFly

@EagleFly out to seek and kill




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:00 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Bisc!

New chapter! I'm so excited! :D I find your naming scheme really funny -- partially because there is a professor named Crother at my school who frequently gets on my nerves and that's just perfect. I will keep these profs in mind as I evaluate this character ;)

The little upstart, Crothers, never had had any manners. Aurora had been talking for only two weeks and even she could manage hello, please and thank you.


Oooh, burn! That's right, even Aurora is better than you!

Though, I will admit, I think a bit of our cultural differences are also coming out in this chapter xD I re-read what he said several times before I went on to the sentence about "hello" "please" and "thank you" and was like oohhh, that's the rude part haha. Guess it's just cultural differences about what is considered polite and what isn't haha.

Crothers’ presence was always so loud, even when he wasn’t saying anything.


Oooh, I see the persona now... yes, that's obnoxious. But very good imagery here! I'm getting a really clear mental image!

"Oh, right." MacLean's eyes dropped to the ground, and spun around on one foot.


>:( Be nice to Tracy. I already like her better than I do you, jerk.

He’d thought the problem something he had done to these animals, but he had barely touched Aurora.


Ooh, MAGICAL ZOO! It's not Patrick's fault! Un-discipline him and let him have a fancy-schmancy job back.

... OR IS PATRICK MAGICAL?! :o So many options :D

Crothers didn't say a word to any of the animals as he went gruffly about his business of various medical checks.


Ooooookay, you're crossing a line now, Crothers. >:( Be nice to the animals or go away.

Well, at least someone seemed to have been civil to the animals.


I'm not 100% what you're going for here. The "Well" kind of makes it seem like it's supposed to be a thought, but it's not italicized. I mean I guess it also works as part of the narrative, but the "well" is throwing me on that one.

"The thing deaf?" Crothers grunted.

In hindsight, zero acknowledgement of Patrick's presence probably wasn't the way to go.



Uggghh, just go die, Crothers. She's a panda. What did you expect her to do? Did you want her to jump on you and maul you the second you walked into her enclosure? *sticks tongue out at the dummy head*

~ ~ ~

Okay! I liked this chapter. Crothers is completely and thoroughly unlikable. But I don't think? that you went overboard with him, either. Like, yes, there's been a bit of tension -- and Neuromax is vaguely hanging there as an antagonist for us -- but honestly overall we don't have a tangible thing to point to as being the antagonist in the story, and I think we're far along enough for having a brute like Crothers to enter the scene.

I'm super happy to have gotten another chapter tonight! :D This was great! I am still as in love with your novel as ever haha. Hope this helps!

Until next time... keep writing!

~Shady 8)





Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson