z

Young Writers Society



The Secret of Tayburn Zoo: 3

by ExOmelas


A/N: *Crosses fingers that Dexi and Chip and Treego do not seem too flat and similar* 

---

The dial on the ohmmeter ticked, ticked, ticked. It was mounted into a little lip that ran along the far end of the rear console, right in the centre. For it was the leader of this little band of science equipment in this metal-panelled laboratory, and it was crying out for the scientist that never kept them waiting. They weren’t to know he’d had some news to deliver today.

The console was just there as you entered the room. Most of the time anyone who did so would sit down at the little spinny chair tucked in under it and not go any further in, but there was a great deal more equipment off to the right. It was spaced out haphazardly in the long thin corridor of a room, and if you asked Patrick he probably couldn't have remembered half of what any of it did. Machines of all shapes and sizes, most with wires sticking out the sides at odd, sharp angles, were left forlornly in the dark. They were abandoned along with the experiments they'd been constructed for.

Patrick sighed as he entered the room, hunching his shoulders and slumping in the spinny chair. A year now of desperately trying to figure out what he'd done, exiled from Neuromax Ltd headquarters to this zoo until he did. Who had he been kidding? He’d never get a day off. He checked his pocket to make sure his phone was there and the volume turned up nice and loud, then looked down at the array of controls.

There was an isolated chamber with a window onto it just above the console, and Patrick sighed as he fidgeted with the switch to alter its temperature. Before he knew it he had it down at arctic temperatures, but his handiwork was in such good condition that a quick press of a button and sliding the switch back brought it back to normal. The public thought he was the caretaker of the zoo, but with this population the zoo really took care of itself. This lab was what he maintained, day in and day out, until the day that it finally yielded results.

"A panda. A big bamboo-eating panda to look after," he mumbled to himself.

"You nervous?"

Patrick spun around in the chair, almost jumping right out it. He put a hand over his heart as he saw Dexi in the doorway, standing on her hind legs and leaning against the frame. Not many people would be relieved by the sight of a four foot high crocodile, but when you spent most of your nights doing everything in your power to evade governmental detection, that became the best case scenario.

"Sorry, Patrick," Dexi said, "I didn't mean to scare you. I'm guessing that's a yes, then. You are nervous?"

Patrick smiled, but there was a lump in his throat. "I am, yes. Not being a zookeeper and all, I'm quite worried about having an endangered panda under my protection. And it’s not like I could decline a panda. I’m trying to avoid suspicion, remember?"

Dexi grinned. "You're not a zookeeper?"

Patrick glared at her, but the side of his mouth quirked up a little. "Sorry to break it to you, but if you ever get transferred to another place there likely won't be any Mario Kart for you."

Dexi's shoulders shook as she chuckled, an oddly wet sound out of a crocodile's mouth. "Doesn't matter. I retired champion ten seconds ago... I'm serious though, Patrick. You improvised all the tech we use based on what? A vague knowledge of the animal kingdom from high school geography, combined with a brain for technology that would have won the nobel prize if the acceptance ceremony wasn't so... public. And also, I’m not sure Chip’s double helix somersault this afternoon is exactly flying under the radar. Maybe you could have declined the panda."

Patrick took a deep breath, and smiled properly this time. "Well, it’s done now. Thank you though. Your support means a lot, really. So, is there something I can do for you?"

At this, Dexi lowered herself carefully back to all fours and bowed her head down, pointing with one front foot toward the thickly padded ring around the base of her mouth. "I'm feeling a little cold. Do you think you could check on my climate changer?"

Patrick leaned forward, but couldn't get close enough so he had to get out of his chair and crouch down beside her. The thin grey ring just about managed to not hold her mouth shut at all, but it was difficult since her arms and legs began so soon after the back of her jaw. It was the fourth band Patrick had tried, and so far there had been no issues. He'd thought five months seemed like too good to be true.

"Alright, we better take you back to your enclosure so I can get this off you." Patrick sighed as he raised himself back to full height. The bands ensured that each animal had a protective pocket of air around them that was the appropriate temperature for their natural habitat, and if it malfunctioned it could cause serious health issues. Patrick would spend the rest of his night on this if he had to.

"Thanks, Patrick," she said, manoevring her long body in a u-turn out of the room. "I'm sure Rita will let me switch shifts with her or something."

Patrick nodded, and they headed down the corridor towards the tunnel for the crocodile enclosure. The underground floor of the zoo was essentially a catacomb, though a particularly softly carpeted one. The walls were plain white plaster, but there were lots of paintings of the rainforest, Antarctica and the desert dotted along. Patrick had walked along these halls so many times since hanging them up that he could recount the order in his sleep. At that moment, he didn't really have much time to take in their bright colours and sweeping vistas, but it was nice to know they were there.

Eventually they came to a ladder like the one Patrick had entered by, but without as much effort gone to hide it, since the trapdoor opened onto a little hut that the visitors supposed the crocodiles slept in. Every time Patrick saw an animal without opposable thumbs clamber up his clunky old ladders, his breath was snatched away. His ability to build gadgets was not the only thing that had seen a lot of practice in the past year.

The only crocodile in the hut, which was so small Patrick had to waddle around with completely bent legs, jumped as the trapdoor clattered open.

"Sorry," Dexi said, "I don't seem to be the best at greetings today. Great at Mario Kart though, so there's that!"

Rita turned round and curled her tail up around herself. "Subtlety has never been your strong suit, no. What are you doing here, Dexi?"

Patrick gulped and hoped these two hadn't been fighting again. He yanked on his collar and made a big show of sucking in air. From the glares the two sent him, it seemed they'd gotten the message that he didn't just mean he was hot in the crocodile environment.

"Sorry, Dexi," Rita said, "I meant to say, how can I help?"

Before Dexi could say anything clever, Patrick put a hand up and interjected, "It's Dexi's climate changer. I have to work on it."

Rita nodded. "Ah, so you need me to switch shifts with Dexi so you can take her band and work on it, without her freezing in that tundra you call a lounge."

Patrick winked and gave her a clumsy finger gun. "Got it in one."

"You haven't done that before, have you?" Rita raised an eyebrow.

"Wink? Not since I was a teenager. Finger guns? My youngest grandkid got obsessed with them last weekend and tried to teach me. The little guy was convinced it was a new way of making pretend that he was shooting someone. It was this whole thing." He gestured vaguely with his arms in the air in front of him.

Rita smiled. "Pat, don't worry. It's sweet when you try to be cool. Even if a grown man should probably have learned to click his fingers by now."

Patrick breathed out, relieved that nobody was laughing at him like that time he said 'yolo'. "Alright, you want to head off then?"

Just then something flashed in the corner of Patrick's eye, and when he twisted his head around he saw the little orange light in the corner of the hut blinking rapidly.

"I got it," Rita muttered.

She darted out the hut. Crouching even lower than before, Patrick watched her through the arched opening as she lounged on a wide tree bough suspended over a small, very clear pond. Around the zoo, all manner of animals who had been lounging around in their huts watching football matches on iPads, or working their way through Patrick's paperback collection, came out into the open. They knew the drill after a year. The light blinks, you get outside and act like an entirely normal zoo animal. That way the passing helicopter or aeroplane will never come across a zoo suspiciously empty of all its inhabitants.

Patrick knew it was overkill, but he would not, could not, allow this place to be found out.

After about a minute, the light stopped blinking, and Rita, who'd strategically kept it in view, knew it was safe to return to the latter half of an Aberdeen vs Celtic match.

Patrick spent the next few minutes carefully unfastening the various straps and clips that attached the ring to Dexi. If he did it in the wrong order it would be like unfankling those annoying little earbuds that you get in the box with a new phone. When it was done, he began to rise to his feet but stopped himself just in time before his head rammed into the ceiling.

“Woah, close one, Patrick,” Dexi said, flexing her shoulders. “And thank you. I know you have that important phone call tonight.”

“Phone call?” Rita asked as she dragged her eyes away from the football and headed towards the trap door.

“Oh right. You've been up here. I'll explain in a second,” Patrick said. He let Rita start descending the ladder first, and looked back at Dexi.

"You okay, Patrick?" she said, steadily holding his gaze.

Patrick took a deep breath, puffing his chest out to what he hoped was a comic degree. "I'll be fine, Dexi. And I'll pass on any last gloating you have in your system to Chip if you like."

Dexi grinned and, balancing on three legs, pointed a finger gun at him.

"Oh, now how is that possible?" Patrick muttered as he followed Rita down the ladder. He shouted up at the trapdoor as he got to the bottom, "You don't even have opposable thumbs!"

This is down here because I don't want to break your immersion too much (feel free to not read) but what I'm going with for each: Chip - kind-hearted soul, quiet, not great at taking iniative; Treego - very proud, would be leader if Patrick wasn't there (that will be clearer later), tries to make people feel comfortable; Dexi - arrogant and kind of childish, self-aware and plenty capable of being thoughtful


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

And Chapter 3 time

First Impression: Getting a slight filler vibe from this chapter. It appears to not really move the plot forward at all. We get the personlaties of some of our characters but that's about it.

Anyway let's get to it,

Patrick sighed as he entered the room, hunching his shoulders and slumping in the spinny chair. A year now of desperately trying to figure out what he'd done, exiled from Neuromax Ltd headquarters to this zoo until he did. Who had he been kidding? He’d never get a day off. He checked his pocket to make sure his phone was there and the volume turned up nice and loud, then looked down at the array of controls.


Well that's sounds like some pretty interesting information right there.

Patrick spun around in the chair, almost jumping right out it. He put a hand over his heart as he saw Dexi in the doorway, standing on her hind legs and leaning against the frame. Not many people would be relieved by the sight of a four foot high crocodile, but when you spent most of your nights doing everything in your power to evade governmental detection, that became the best case scenario.


Well Dexi needs to be taught the wisdom of knocking before entering.

"Doesn't matter. I retired champion ten seconds ago... I'm serious though, Patrick. You improvised all the tech we use based on what? A vague knowledge of the animal kingdom from high school geography, combined with a brain for technology that would have won the nobel prize if the acceptance ceremony wasn't so... public. And also, I’m not sure Chip’s double helix somersault this afternoon is exactly flying under the radar. Maybe you could have declined the panda."


There appears to be quite a good friendship between Patrick and Dexi. You do a good job of showing that the crocodile does this sort of thing very often.

At this, Dexi lowered herself carefully back to all fours and bowed her head down, pointing with one front foot toward the thickly padded ring around the base of her mouth. "I'm feeling a little cold. Do you think you could check on my climate changer?"


So this piece of tech is somehow something that is normal around in this world? Or do they disguise it in some way when the public shows up?

Patrick nodded, and they headed down the corridor towards the tunnel for the crocodile enclosure. The underground floor of the zoo was essentially a catacomb, though a particularly softly carpeted one. The walls were plain white plaster, but there were lots of paintings of the rainforest, Antarctica and the desert dotted along. Patrick had walked along these halls so many times since hanging them up that he could recount the order in his sleep. At that moment, he didn't really have much time to take in their bright colours and sweeping vistas, but it was nice to know they were there.


That sounds like a really nice wall there.

"Wink? Not since I was a teenager. Finger guns? My youngest grandkid got obsessed with them last weekend and tried to teach me. The little guy was convinced it was a new way of making pretend that he was shooting someone. It was this whole thing." He gestured vaguely with his arms in the air in front of him.


Well that's a sweet moment right there when he does this and the two crocodiles comment on it.

She darted out the hut. Crouching even lower than before, Patrick watched her through the arched opening as she lounged on a wide tree bough suspended over a small, very clear pond. Around the zoo, all manner of animals who had been lounging around in their huts watching football matches on iPads, or working their way through Patrick's paperback collection, came out into the open. They knew the drill after a year. The light blinks, you get outside and act like an entirely normal zoo animal. That way the passing helicopter or aeroplane will never come across a zoo suspiciously empty of all its inhabitants.


So how early of a warning does this light give. There were a lot of animals playing and whatnot so it seems like a fair amount of time would be needed for them to get to cover.

"Oh, now how is that possible?" Patrick muttered as he followed Rita down the ladder. He shouted up at the trapdoor as he got to the bottom, "You don't even have opposable thumbs!"


I love this cheeky gesture at the end there.

And that's if for this chapter.

Overall: Like I said earlier this feels like a filler. Not much development really happens but we do get some personalities so that's good at least. Well the panda appears to be have been setup somehow in this story. Let's see how things turn out in the next few chapters.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm
View Likes
Lib says...



Ay, hello again!!

If Patrick doesn't take the Panda,,,, that means he's going to raise suspicion? *is suspicious*




User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 6228
Reviews: 114

Donate
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:13 pm
Necromancer14 wrote a review...



Very interesting! You learn a bit more about the zoo in this chapter.

Critiques:

I feel like nothing really happens in this chapter. It's Patrick being nervous about the panda the whole time and nothing too interesting happens, other than the plane, but that doesn't really affect the plot.

positives:

Like the first two chapters, it's well written, and nothing is confusing. It's also witty, and I like that. The humor gives an almost whimsical tone to the story, and I like that also. The characters are sarcastic a lot of times, and have interesting personalities. Also, despite the fact that the plot doesn't advance very much at all, it was still quite interesting and I liked it.

Anyway, this was another interesting chapter, so good job!




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 5566
Reviews: 33

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 am
Oxara wrote a review...



Here for another quick review:


Comments-
The bands ensured that each animal had a protective pocket of air around them that was the appropriate temperature for their natural habitat, and if it malfunctioned it could cause serious health issues-

Biscuits what can I say other than "show don't tell." (note same with the lights flickering)

"Wink? Not since I was a teenager. Finger guns? - This was just confusing at first, I understand it now but at first I thought he doing the action and you were for some reason put it in quotes, but that maybe just me.

Praises-
Your imagery was on point and as always your world building and characterization were great

Thanks,

Ox




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:26 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I apologize in advance for this review being so short. Hopefully I'll give you some sort of substance in there.

I really like this chapter. You seem to have settled into a good flow and balance between narration and dialogue. This was a much easier read than your previous chapters. Not to say they weren't good, but this one didn't have a moment where I thought to myself "I'm reading a novel." I was reading a story.

Patrick's presence is strong here, making me believe he actually is in charge and the animals come to him. In previous chapters it seemed as if he was living among the animals instead of being in charge of them. There was a stronger presence from the animals than from him. Speaking of Patrick, I didn't think of him as old enough to have a grandchild. Granted, he could still be a young grandfather. Either way, his voice makes him sound in his forties when the idea of a grandchild puts him in his sixties in my mind. Think about maybe reworking his age or give us more clues about his age.

Now there's this level of mystery surrounding Patrick. I don't know if you did that purposefully so we wouldn't suspect anything until now, but I like it. There had to be something that explained why these animals are able to talk and all that, and we get a glimpse into that reason here. We don't know what it is, probably don't have even a close idea, but we're getting some hints.

The whole hiding under the radar thing is a little skeptical to me. Someone somewhere would eventually notice things. Patrick would have to call in inspectors and probably an exterminator or two over the years. Not to mention these people sending him a panda would've done their research on the zoo. I'm sure it's possible for him to keep everything under the radar, but it wouldn't be easy. Just make sure Patrick keeps covering his tracks ^_^

I really enjoyed this chapter, as I said. I'm working on catching up on my reviews so expect to see me again soon. Hopefully.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




ExOmelas says...


Thanks so much for the review! I had no idea you intended to keep doing these but I'm glad you are :)

Patrick's age: yeah, this has come up. I'm going to slip more clues in I think because I really like the idea of him being in his sixties and having some children to worry about.

Secrecy: So, he gets very very obsessive about hiding things, and there's an explanation for the inspections, but let me know if it starts to get too implausible.

Thanks again for the review! :D



User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:33 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey Bisc! Stella here! So since this piece only has two reviews so far I figured this is where I would start off!!

Okay, so so far I'm enjoying this. I liked the extra little backstory at the top here that this has only been going on for a year. But I am a little perturbed by the zoo's place in the world, for a few reasons.

1) A zoo where the animals do all manner of tricks is certainly not, as pointed out, flying under the radar
2) why does it have to be a secret? Was what he was working on illegal? Or are they just worried that this is going to go Jurassic World and they're all going to be sold off to trophy hunters etc.? I mean, they're living in a zoo in the UK, so I don't feel that threat so much. Maybe you'll explain that!
3) Patrick's excuses surrounding the Giant Panda Problem (henceforth known as the GPP) seem a bit weak. I think I would buy into it more if like, he tried to tell them that the habitat wasn't suitable and they were like "Oh, we'd better come and inspect it!!" Or like tell him that if he doesn't oblige them and get involved in the Giant Panda Breeding Scheme that they're going to be doing a full investigation into his treatment of endangered species? I don't know, but just... it needs to be a little stronger than it is at present.

Regarding the characterisation, I haven't really gotten a feel for them just yet. I got that Dexi was arrogant, but then I think she lost a good bit of that in this part. Chip seemed on point for what you wanted. Treego too, although I didn't get the sense that he was putting Patrick at ease, more just suiting himself. But really they've only had one or two scenes each and I wouldn't worry too much, we'll get more of a feel for them the further we go along :)

Okay! Review #1 done!

- Stella x




ExOmelas says...


thanks for the review!

I've been waiting for someone to pick up on how weak the flying-under-the-radar logic is. Thanks for your suggestions - I'll slip some of them in as a better explanation. As for an explanation of the tricks thing, I think the reason that they do tricks is because they would go literally insane with boredom otherwise. Like, they're essentially living people in cages. Then the reason why that's okay given the approach... maybe something like it gives an explanation to any sort of strange behaviour? If one of the animals slips up and does something a bit too human Patrick can try and handwave it away by saying that they are particularly smart animals and point to their tricks. Do you think that's tight enough?

Illegal, yes. Much dangerous and unethical experimentation on animals by a private company. I drop some more hints until about chapter 6 or 7 (i forget which) where a big bombshell is finally dropped and the entire origin story is out there.

thanks again for the review :D



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



HAI! I'M BACK!

And I'm super excited to read your next bit. So let's get started...

Hmm... not sure I'm loving the opening. Don't get me wrong -- it's a lovely opening, and I think if it was any other chapter I would like it. But you left the last chapter off on a cliffhanger. We don't know how the other animals reacted to the news of the normal Panda joining them.

We assume they're going to be hostile, but we don't know. I kind of assumed this chapter would kind of pick up with that? At least a few lines of "it took Patrick half an hour to get them calmed down" or something, you know? I almost feel a bit cheated here lol. I want to know what happened at the end of the last scene, and it feels like it got clipped off.

They weren’t to know he’d had some news to deliver today.


Okay for this one I think it's more of a matter of personal style. However, the advice I've received is that, in general, using contractions in dialogue is okay and preferable, since that's how people talk -- where using it in exposition like this isn't generally recommended. So, do with that what you will -- that advice didn't originate with me, but I have been trying to implement it in my own writing and I will say in general it's been an improvement for me, personally.

The console was just there as you entered the room.


Hmm... another "you" enters the picture. I'm assuming you mean "you" as in the general you, not in a you-specific, if that makes sense? Like more of a "You know?" than a "hey you" sort of thing, but it does feel like it's addressed to me as the reader. And it does kind of kill a bit of the narrative charm you have going so far.

but with this population the zoo really took care of itself.


THEN WHY DID HE LOCK THEM IN LAST CHAPTER? And how did they manage to un-lock themselves to get to the Wii? Again just having minor issues with the continuity of the setting. Did they all have to struggle through a barrier like Patrick did to get to their little hideaway? Or...?

A vague knowledge of the animal kingdom from high school geography


Why would he learn about animals in geography??
~ ~ ~

I absolutely adore your interactions between the characters, and especially between the animals and Patrick (if I ever spell that as Patrik I apologize... I have a character called Pratik in one of my novels and spent the longest time before that with him named as Patrik so the spelling is force of habit lol). It's super adorable.

I love how concerned Dexi is about her human. It's just endearing. You'd expect a Patrick to be concerned about the welfare of his animals, but the fact that they're concerned about him as well is just really cute and adds a level of companionship between them that I really appreciate.

The whole concept of the novel just makes me so happy on a core level. Talking animals, science labs -- yes please. My kinda life ;) And my kinda book.

As I mentioned before, definitely feel free to ping me when you post the next chapter of this. I'm really enjoying it so far and am interested in reading on!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




ExOmelas says...


Shadyshadyshady okay ima reply to both the second two reviews here.

The locks: i have literally no idea what i was doing there. I think it was to make sure nobody gets inside the enclosures? Would that make theoretically more sense if I made that clear?

Patrick's age: you are not the first person to ask about Patrick's age. He is 62, which I believe I make explicit in the next chapter (there's a lot of him thinking about his wife who died when he's trying to pick up courage for something).

Foreshadowing: Hrm... so, obviously he said to Chip he had an announcement, but I guess him explicitly being nervous undermined that? Could you elaborate on this one a bit?

Using "you" in sentences: You are not going to believe this, but that was one of the first things that drew someone's interest in this story. I was doing a WW with Tenyo and when we did best lines I highlighted the one from the last chapter about if "you" peeked through the slats of the outer wall. Tenyo was like "I love that form of address, it really draws me in as a reader!" Nobody else has commented on it in particular so I guess that's 1-1? Consider it simultaneously edited out or kept in until I get further data (because instances happen regularly in chapters to come) :P To be clear, the point of it was to sort of keep the... like... magic(?) from the first chapter? The sort of pretend-mythical-awe if that makes any sense.

Thanks again for all these reviews! The next part will be up by the time you're awake <3



Shady says...


Okay, I was tired when I reviewed last night... the bit with him talking to Chip does work for foreshadowing. Dunno what I was thinking last night but I re-read it this morning and that part is fine. Sorry about that ^.^

That's interesting about the "you" in the story... guess it's a matter of preference? Weird haha. Looking forward to reading the next part!



ExOmelas says...


ah okay cool :)

Haha yeah strange xD



User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 10840
Reviews: 202

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:20 pm
Blues wrote a review...



Biscuits Biscuits <3

First read-through thoughts:

Patrick sighed as he entered the room, hunching his shoulders and slumping in the spinny chair. A year now of desperately trying to figure out what he'd done, exiled from Neuromax Ltd headquarters to this zoo until he did.


OH?????

The public thought he was the caretaker of the zoo, but with this population the zoo really took care of itself. This lab was what he maintained, day in and day out, until the day that it finally yielded results.


omg I AM READY FOR THIS CHAPTER

"A panda. A big bamboo-eating panda to look after," he mumbled to himself.

"You nervous?"

Patrick spun around in the chair, almost jumping right out it.


I wasn't shocked by Dexi's appearance -- maybe swap around the description, build up the feeling of solitude and calmness in the room if you wanted to surprise the reader too?

Omg okay if I keep quoting this review will just end up being the chapter but I'm literally grinning as I write this I'm loving it

"I'm feeling a little cold. Do you think you could check on my climate changer?"


I lied -- BISCUITS WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY ROBOTS

The only crocodile in the hut,

I would follow this by saying her name is Rita - I was confused as to whom this was in the following paragraphs.

Okay, I enjoyed this chapter a lot -- I think the fact I'm having quite strong reactions to everything is quite a good sign! I'm invested in the characters and I'm super excited to read what's next!!

Dexi -- I don't really get the arrogant vibe, just the childish side, perhaps immature? Or if she's quite childish but can be plenty thoughtful, perhaps quite selfish? I didn't get either of those things either but that'd be a bit odd in this situation anyway!

Rita -- am I reading it wrong or is Rita just really rude? Or maybe she's just quite annoyed (but if so, it's not that clear). I don't like her at all so far :P

Patrick -- his character is coming along quite nicely. He just seems overall quite nice, though I do keep having to remind myself that he's probably 50/60-something. I wonder if we'll get to see any of his family or if there'll be anything about his past? I would just warn against letting Patrick fall into the stereotypical uncool adult trope--I did enjoy that they have an awareness of fashion.

With regards to the writing, I don't really have many complaints. I do think it might be nice to see a bit more of Patrick's mannerisms if he's got any distinct ones--y'know, clicking pens, that kind of stuff. But this is definitely something I'd suggest to ask a second reader because I only thought of that reading it the second time.

How do the bands work? Is it like an amniotic sac? Or...

Anyway, I hope that helped in any way - I'm really excited for the next one now. You've gotten me hooked!

~ Blues




ExOmelas says...


I AM VERY HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

Ahem.

Robots: nooo, it's a biological technology thing. Please tell me you weren't still thinking that by the end? I also don't have a clear idea in my head of how they work. See however cold-blooded animals regulate their body temperature - it modifies that. Do you think it's okay to play the Patrick's-smarter-than-me card or should I do a little research?

Patrick: idk if this is a spoiler but you do get to see his family in... is it the next chapter...? One moment. You get a lot of Patrick's past in the next chapter, some more explanation of the setup of the zoo in the chapter after that, then his family in the chapter after that. The uncool adult trope might be an issue, so could you keep an eye on that?

Thanks for this extremely encouraging review :D



Blues says...


Glad to hear! :D

Ohh okay. Yeah, I realised after you explained the bands thing - but I'd explain it more about her being cold-blooded if you could, then! I think for now, the Patrick's-smarter-than-me card is okay to play.

Ooh okay, I'm excited to meet them then! I've really grown attached to the characters and I really like Dexi, I should've mentioned! And yes, will totally keep an eye :P




Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus