z

Young Writers Society



Off Court - Chapter 2.2

by ExOmelas


My draw was a nightmare for Montpellier. Out of my five rounds four of them were to be against top-twenty players, though the latter two of these depended on me getting past the quarter-finals. For this I would most likely be up against the World Number Ten, so I didn’t fancy my chances.

Ironically, I would have gotten to play against Camillo if I made it to the final, assuming he did too. But his team still hadn’t got back to Ron about a practice session, so I figured I wouldn’t be seeing him much unless that happened.

This is fine.

I kept telling myself this and not listening. He’d been so much fun to practice with, singing songs to himself as he got ready to receive, telling me stories about his family at the changes of ends. His parents sounded extraordinary, going by his long, energetic tale of his escape from the civil war in Syria.

They’d sold loads of their furniture and bits and pieces around the house, as well as doing odd jobs all over town to cobble together enough money to pay some people smugglers to get them to Italy. Then, on the way there, their boat had capsized about a mile from the shore, and his parents had dragged him and his little sister – who were both toddlers – through the water, as well as their grandfather.

I still wasn’t sure why he was telling me any of this, but he kept looking straight at me with an intensity that felt vaguely like desperation. His eyes kept widening, as if they were trying to forcibly shove an understanding of something towards me.

But I didn’t understand at all. How could I? I grew up in the French countryside, then moved to a French city, then straight onto the juniors circuit. I’ve no idea what it would be like to have my life in danger. How was I meant to empathise with that?

What I really didn’t understand though, was why if he cared so much about this, he wouldn’t want to continue the conversation at another practice session.

This mess of thoughts was buzzing through my mind as I stumbled towards the showers after winning my first match of the tournament. I leaned on the door with my shoulder and practically fell through the narrow opening. I’d have had to actively push to get it any wider, and my arms did not have the strength for that. I’d just gone three sets, with each set over fifty minutes. I just wanted to get in the shower and do my best to turn my brain off – which of course had resumed the thoughts about Camillo as soon as I stepped off the court.

I was trying to fit my bag into a locker that was far too small for it when I heard the door swing open behind me and two people walk through, chatting about their matches.

“Léo?”

I hung my head. Maybe it was like Beetlejuice. I thought his name too many times now here he was, presumably with one of his friends whom he’d been practicing with all day.

“Hi, Camillo,” I said as I turned round. I was in a weird crouching position since the locker was low to the ground, and my knees cracked indignantly as I stood up.

“Hey!” Camillo smiled. “Max, I’m assuming you’ve met Léo at some point?”

I smiled as best I could at Max Maderic, the guy I’d filled in for back in Melbourne. But also, why was Camillo smiling so wide? Why was he smiling when my anxiety was doing backflips in my stomach? This made no sense.

Maderic shrugged. “Not outside matchplay. Nice to meet you properly, Léo.”

He wasn’t really smiling and seemed his eyes kept flicking towards the clock.

I nodded. “You too. You guys heading off to practice?”

“Yup, we’ve got a court booked for three hours so we’re thinking we might play a whole match,” Camillo said. “Or alternatively… want to join us?”

“Uh… I’m a bit tired. Off to the ice bath for me,” I said.

Now I really was stumped. If he’d wanted to practice, why hadn’t he returned Ron’s call? Did he just not want me to feel bad about the fact that he didn’t want to practice with me, presumably because I wasn’t enough of a challenge?

Camillo laughed. “Ah, of course. Well done, by the way. Vanori might be thirty-three but he doesn’t budge easy.”

I smiled and snorted. “No he does not. Good lord he does not. God, I feel so wrecked.”

“Same,” Camillo said, looking somewhere over my shoulder. I started to turn round to see what he was looking at then noticed that the smile was gone from his face. His thoughts were elsewhere again, like at our practice session. I wanted to know what he was thinking so bad. His mind seemed enormous, with intelligent, heartfelt thoughts hidden in every corner. I nearly agreed to joining them, despite the fact that I probably couldn’t have lifted a racquet and my entire body smelled like the inside of my shoe.

“You okay, Cam?” Maderic asked eventually.

Camillo’s eyes snapped back to mine, then his head jerked round to face Maderic.

“Yeah, sorry. I’m a bit spaced out. Different kind of wrecked, you see. I … uh … Zoe broke up with me yesterday,” he said.

“Aw man, that sucks!” Maderic exclaimed. “You alright?”

I felt something stab my gut as Maderic put his lanky arm round Camillo. Somewhere between jealousy, helplessness and confusion – a big melting pot of those three.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Camillo sighed. “We’ve been drifting apart for a while. I’m not sure she was ever actually that into me… Honestly our entire relationship may have just been a rebound for her. She really needed it though – her last boyfriend was a total jackass.”

Maderic was nodding along with a serious look in his pale grey eyes as Camillo spoke, so with a jolt I realised that he understood all this perfectly, and that Camillo was explaining this for my benefit.

“Uh, makes sense, I guess,” I said. “Well, uh, I’ll let you guys get ready for your practice session and I hope that takes your mind off it.”

As soon as I said this I wished I hadn’t because I hadn’t even begun to undress yet, so I was going to have to either sit there doing so while ignoring them, or go off to one of the cubicles and look like I was too embarrassed to get ready in front of them. Why didn’t my brain ever think about words before it said them?

Camillo, the absolute saint, seemed to pretend not to hear and kept talking to me about an argument from my match between the chair umpire and my opponent. Vanori had sworn in his own language and the umpire had given him a penalty for audible obscenity, but Vanori thought that was unfair because it hadn’t been in French but had been in a language the umpire just happened to know. This gave an unfair advantage to the Finnish, apparently – because nobody knows Finnish?

“You know, I’ve never met a single Finnish tennis player,” Camillo said as I peeled my shirt off. It sat in a little ball in my hand and I almost choked on the smell. How Camillo was polite enough not to recoil I have no idea.

“Yeah,” I agreed, as I wrapped a towel around my bottom half and dragged my shorts and underwear out from under it. “Weird that.”

I stuffed all the clothes into the side pocket of my bag, which Ron lovingly termed The Shame Drawer. Then I excused myself for real and went off to take my shower, all the while puzzling over Camillo’s mixed signals.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:24 am
Virgil wrote a review...



Been reviewing Blue's novel though I thought I'd come back and try and catch up over here a bit too! The final review to go for tonight since this is the 100th and I am not going further than that.

I keep forgetting that this is set in the first person and then I'm always pleasantly surprised because I remember how much I enjoyed that aspect. Let's try and follow along with this chapter by delving right in and saying that I actually enjoy how this starts with some general thoughts coming from Leo and his worries, which I believe are portrayed well enough. At the same time, I'm not a fan of how much thought and babbling goes on throughout the chapter since I don't believe that all of this is actually necessary.

Try cutting out some parts that aren't needed or not info-dumping as much since I'm afraid you do this a teensy bit with Leo being in his own thoughts for a portion of the chapter. I admit that I enjoyed the parts of the chapter where there were interactions between Leo and Camillo, or to be more specific, Leo interacting with anyone else. Even the fact that Leo wants to know what Camillo is thinking sets him up to be the future love interest and I enjoyed that somewhat subtle hint.

I mean it's not blatantly obvious that Leo likes him and I'm not sure if he's per-say, developed a crush on him yet, though it seems that it might be growing in this chapter. Camillo's girlfriend broke up with him. This must be fate. Camillo is leaving mix signals indeed and while their encounters so far have been awkward, it's still the best part of the novel for me and it usually should be since the relationship is the main focus. Nice work on that here, though some parts of this chapter feel a little unnecessary or feel like they could've been incorporated (at least Leo's thoughts could have been) in a different or smoother way.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.




User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 pm
inktopus wrote a review...



Hey, Bisquick! Storm here for a review, so let's jump right into it!

This review is probably going to be a bit short because there's not a whole lot of content here as it's only one scene. Sorry about that!

I know you were worried about making this its own chapter, and after reading, I can definitely see why. Although this has the length to be its own chapter, not a lot happens here. Perhaps you don't need everything in this scene. Maybe there's stuff that you can take out because it doesn't serve much, if any, purpose. If you find anything, it could perhaps combine with another chapter. That being said, I do really like the clarity this brings to the previous interactions between Leo and Camillo, though perhaps that's because there wasn't enough to clarify Leo's thoughts as the interactions were happening.

His eyes kept widening, as if they were trying to forcibly shove an understanding of something towards me.

This is an example of some of your clunky sentences. You use the words correctly, but they're often not the best fit or arranged in the best way, and it ruins the flow. The readers will stop and think, that didn't sound quite right.

“Yeah, sorry. I’m a bit spaced out. Different kind of wrecked, you see. I … uh … Zoe broke up with me yesterday,” he said.

Ellipses are a personal pet peeve of mine, so I'm probably being a bit discriminatory of them here, but I'll say this anyway. I'd much prefer you just a dash than ellipses in this case. Camillo isn't really trailing off as he is cutting himself off. I save ellipses when someone trails off and doesn't continue that train of thought.

So Montpellier has already started? It's a bit unclear until Camillo and Leo begin talking about the Finnish tennis player, and I'm still not quite sure.

I would really like more description in general. Right now, the whole world is a bit blank; I've been filling in the best I can, but I'd really rather see you describe things more often. Often, there's enough description, and they just need to be more powerful, but you need more in general. I don't doubt you know how to use this tool well, but you need to make more use of it here.

Overall, I didn't really find many issues with this. Clunky wording was a bit of an issue again, and the narrative is starting to hurt from lack of description, but pretty solid otherwise.

You know where to find me if you want to discuss anything!

~Storm




ExOmelas says...


Hm... I'll have a look at what I can take out... or replace with description haha! xD Thanks for the review :D



User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 84

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm
DragonNoir wrote a review...



Hello! DragonNoir here for a review!

I'm getting the feeling this is going in direction of gay sports. Love it! It's even more interesting because I've never really read about tennis, so it's a new experience for me. Although, I feel like we're not learning anything new about the characters. You're introducing more of them and you're giving them basic characteristics, but you don't really build up the main characters (i.e. Camilo and Leo). As well as that, you made two mistakes I managed to pick out:

"How was I meant to empathise I that?" I believe the second "I" was supposed to be "with".

"...against top-twenty players, though the latter two of these depended on..." I hate to be that person who says it, but you could have rewritten this as:
"...against the top-twenty players, though two of the latter depended on..." I think they're basically saying the same thing, but I'm saying it because I'd write it that way.

If you ask me, it all comes down to your opinion if you want to make this Chapter 3 or Chapter 3.1. Personally, I'd just leave it as Chapter 3. I hate those stories where you have chapters that are decimals. It just makes life more awkward.

Overall, I'm enjoying this story and it seems quite interesting where the plot is going, although you could try developing your characters a bit more.
I hope my review helped! :)





It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity