(LMS IV) The Drowner: 3

by ExOmelas

A/N: It's weird that I keep switching between "Gordon" and "her father" in relation to the same character, right? It just seemed strange to keep writing "Daena's father" every time he did something.

---

It had been a long walk to the river with all this military equipment weighing them down, but Daena and Gordon had finally made it. The river was about two miles outside of town and for most people it was the only source of water. It rushed down rocky rapids fast in some places, plateaued in others. The one thing that most people commented on was how clear it was these days, beautiful as it travelled along between banks of healthy green grass. Ever since the town had agreed to assign some people the job of daily water transportation, barely any household didn't have a well maintained tank of water in its back garden.

Daena's house was no exception, but washing the blood off Gordon's armour and sword was decided not to be a suitable task to undertake in the house. So they'd borrowed a cart from the neighbours, and brought the armour out to the river. There was also a huge wooden container to do the actual washing in, since polluting the river with week-old blood was an even worse idea than simply bathing in it, which in days gone by had caused it to run brown and murky.

"Are you sure about this, Daena?" Gordon said, his hand hovering over the latch on the cart. "I have some camping equipment in all this stuff, you could just do that if you like."

Daena shook her head rapidly and exclaimed, "But Dad, this as close as I can get to the action! Every little dent in your shield I want to know how it happened. I want to hear about the other soldiers and - oh my God, please tell me about Robin MacTulloch! Is it true he can shoot water out the end of his sword?"

Daena's heart sank as her father's gaze dropped to the ground and he shifted from foot to foot. She was seventeen now, so close to the age he was when he first enlisted in the army. Surely he wouldn't still insist on keeping his adventures from her.

"Please, honey, promise me you're not going to build your hopes up too high about this palace visit? I don't want you to be too disappointed when you see that pretty much everyone is as boring as your old man." His voice was quiet, but strained. Daena figured she probably better stop pushing him for the moment.

"Alright," she said. She took a big, dramatic breath. "I suppose I shall just have to satisfy myself by cleaning your biggest sharpest sword."

Gordon hung his head. "If it'll calm you down, you strange, strange child."

He clicked the latch on the cart and lowered the back of it. Daena closed her eyes for a moment to prepare, then looked up at the load.

The first thing that sprang out at her was an enormous breastplate. The edges of a cape or a cloak - bright red, of course - were visible at the tops of the shoulders, and there was a big brown spray of dried blood stained across the middle. Daena gaped at it. Nobody ever ended up in hand to hand contact on border control. Her heart fluttered again at the thought that her father must have done something truly out of the ordinary.

Her gaze drifted around from the breastplate to some chain mail, some jet black leather breeches, and a whole jumble of upside down objects that must have made up the rest of the suit. Then, finally, they stopped on an item near the front of the pile, but a little to the side.

Gordon put an arm around her shoulders. "Alright, you can have one Robin MacTulloch fact. He complimented the craftsmanship of that sword."

Daena's eyebrows shot up and she looked round at him. "No way! Have you told the Fredericks? Oh, wait, you just got here. Sorry, got excited."

Gordon shook his head. "My own fault. But that's it now. You promise to stop asking about him if you get to clean the sword?"

Daena nodded firmly. She wasn't entirely sure she believed herself, but she knew for certain that she wanted to clean that sword. Gordon sighed and reached into the cart, gripping the bottom of the sword's hilt with his fingertips and dragging it a little closer to him until he could get it in a proper grip. Daena watched with eyes wide like a bug's as the muscles in his arms tensed, while simultaneously his dextrous fingers turned the sword so the blade wasn't scraping along the wooden floor of the cart.

"Honey, you're going to have to stop shaking," Gordon said as he held the sword out towards her.

Daena looked down at her outstretched hand and realised she was trembling in anticipation. She took a deep breath, and a last shiver ran down her spine. "Please, I can do this. Every soldier's nervous on his first day, right?"

Daena frowned as her father winced at that last sentence. He'd been starting to smile, perhaps a pleased by his determination. Now his face fell back to nerves and he wordlessly passed her the sword.

It was no heavier than she'd been expecting, though to be fair she'd been expecting to feel like she was lifting Alistair. But she'd dreamt of this moment, pictured exactly how she would deal with the weight and hold the sword perfectly balanced so that it didn't tip downwards. She stared at the splashes of brown running all the way up one side, and felt herself come out in goosebumps. Seventeen years had been worth the wait.

About ten minutes later, the sword was nearly approaching something that could be called shiny. It really had been in terrible condition at first - not just the blood, but the dirty sand caked into all the hilt's grooves and smeared along the side of the blade. Daena didn't plan on stopping until it was dazzlingly spotless, but shiny was a good start.

"I stopped an assassin from getting to him," Gordon said suddenly.

He was crouched at the other side of the big wooden water tank, rubbing absentmindedly at his helmet with a ragged cloth.

"Dad?" Daena said, frowning. "It's fine. I'm happy with the sword. You don't have to tell me."

He shook his head and set the helmet to one side. "Can I trust you to keep a secret?"

Daena nearly dropped the sword into the increasingly filthy tank in front of her. "Of course you can."

"Then I need you to listen. All I did was my job. The assassin was clumsy, and I was only there because the guard who fell asleep owed me money. I grabbed my shortbow, shot the guy in the foot, then ran forward and disarmed him," Gordon said, his voice churning out the words in a flat monotone.

"That's... that's brilliant," Daena said, balancing the sword on the edge of the tank.

Her father look up at her. "No it's not. That's the thing. I know that to you this is all so glamorous, but that was routine for me. I'm not trying to gloat, I'm trying to tell you that I don't understand why Sir Robin has insisted that the Queen make such a hero out of me."

"If you're trying to stop me from thinking you're really cool, it's not going to happen," Daena said, smiling with one side of her mouth.

Her father chuckled. "Please, I know a lost cause when I see one, and that's coming from the man that's been trying to placate angry Ceradins for six months. No, I just... I need you to promise me you won't go around telling all your friends how amazing I am. I know you'd love to but... it just isn't true."

Daena frowned, and studied some patterning on the sword for a moment. Not exactly the tactical insight of a secret she'd been hoping for, but it was still thrilling to know her father trusted her.

"Alright, I guess I'll keep quiet about it," Daena said, "Though you'd probably be better talking to Janet and Alistair. They're the ones who actually have friends to tell."

The pained, anxious look flashed across her father's features again, and Daena realised with a jolt that the last time she'd seen that expression before today it had been on Janet's face when she'd first heard their father was coming home. She wondered how Janet would feel to know she was so similar to the parent she had this big issue with.

"Janet probably won't want to talk to too many people about me," Gordon said quietly, "And Alistair would never brag about anything, can you even imagine that?"

Gordon started to laugh, a fast, breathy laugh.

Daena giggled too. The image of Alistair puffing his chest out and telling Maureen that his dad was better than hers was rather difficult to imagine.

"So, how is Alistair?" Gordon asked, "Other than being dragged away from his dreams..."

Daena smiled sadly and started to tell him about the previous week when Alistair and Maureen had dragged out the world's longest game of tag for a full three days. She laughed at the memory of every so often seeing them race across her path as she walked around town, and by the time she'd finished telling her father, the sword was clean.

inktopus wrote a review...

Yo, Bisc! I'm finally able to review, so let's get to it. For the past day, I've been very tired, so apologies in advance if I say something really stupid.

I really like the sentiment behind this scene. I think we get a lot of good information, but it still feels like we don't know enough about why Daena can't do what she wants. We know she wants to be a soldier and definitely hates working for the family business, but why can't she do that? No information on why has been given. Why doesn't she just run away? It doesn't seem like she thinks too much about consequences, so it wouldn't seem out of character for that to happen.

While I was at English camp, the professor teaching my novel class had something to say that I think applies very well here. She said that a lot of times, writers have to start writing before the story really begins. I think that when they get to the castle is when the story really begins, and that's part of the problem with the past few chapters. If you need to write this to write the story, then go ahead, but definitely consider the fact that you're now 3 chapters in and not a lot of importance has happened. All of this that has happened could be explained in backstory at the castle.

Being totally honest (and definitely kind of harsh), it's difficult for me to concentrate on anything other than my frustration at the pace of the story. Not a lot has happened. Yeah, there's conflict, but it doesn't seem like that conflict is very related to the overall plot which has yet to be introduced.

I'm sorry I don't have a lot to say other than this, but it's something I just can't get past.

I'm definitely down to discuss!

~ink

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:22 pm
Messenger wrote a review...

Hey, here as pormised.

She wondered how Janet would feel to know she was so similar to the parent she had this big issue with.

My life. ^ I'm Janet.

Oh! BTW I think you know this, but in case you don't, the bottom of the hilt of a sword, the lil round part usually, is called the pommel.

So, there aren't a lot of nitpicky issues for me here. Again, rough draft here so unless it's something I think you need to focus on right now, I left it out. So I'll just talk about the story.

1. The water part was cool. I didn't feel telly to me, but I think it's some great worldbuilding, and it also reminded me of my own Potters Creek. And for that matter the little comment about the water-shooting sword, and in my story, I have a wind-wielding sword so xD look at us go.
2. I have a concern here, and it carries over from chapter 2.2, and that's about how gloom and doom everything turned into. Like, sure there were conflicts in 1.1 and 2.1, but nothing seemed that out of the ordinary. But now, yeesh, it feels like everyone is just miserable. IF there is a lot that we just don't about the rescue that Gordon performed. then that's okay because it will get paid off later for us as readers, but if he really just doesn't feel like a hero, then we got problems because it feels like he's making it a much bigger deal. And adding on to that, is Gordon different than he used to be? What I mean by that is: does he come across different to Daena? Is this the same guy who left their house 6 months ago?
2.2. TL;DR if there's not more to Gordon' reactions, it'll be a letdown
3. A side note about the cleaning. Soldiers rarely, if ever, would leave both their armor and their sword for cleaning this long after a fight. For one thing, the blades have a groove for blood to run on, and also, it wouldn't go well in its scabbard if it wasn't cleaned off. I guess you can forgive these, but someone of Gordon's rank just seems like he would have taken care of it already. Now, if you still want them to clean it that's fine, but if you just want this setting to world build while having this conversation, you could easily switch it to them fetching water. It's up to you though.
4. This all feels a bit stiff. The way they talk to each other. Much in the same way you point out how some of my thoughts come across as too long, I feel that some of the times your character's dialogue comes across as if they've just met. It's not too over the top, but I thought I'd let you think about it and see if you want to change it.

LEmme know when chp. 4 is out.

ExOmelas says...

Thanks for the reviews Mess! I'll keep this all in mind in the next chapters because I'm actually kinda free-flowing on this so I'm putting advice into practice as fast as I can xD

Messenger says...

Haha i gotcha. Sounds like me most of the time

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hey, Biscuits! Don't mind me as I scramble to keep on top of reviews before the next blast wave hits. Though I'm sure my struggle pales in comparison to yours :P

Small grammar corrections will be shown in blue.

Small Comments

It rushed down rocky rapids fast in some places, plateaued in others.

Between 'rushed' and 'rapids', I think there's enough for us to infer that it's fast.

barely any household didn't have a well maintained tank of water in its back garden.

The double negative makes this kinda hard to interpret this. Maybe 'every household had a well-maintained water tank in its back garden' would be clearer?

Daena's house was no exception, but washing the blood off Gordon's armour and sword was decided not to be a suitable task to undertake in the house.

I am such a stickler for repetition, so maybe I'm just being picky, but I would swap out 'in the house' for 'inside'.

So they'd borrowed a cart from the neighbours, and brought the armour out to the river.

Don't think you need that comma.

"I have some camping equipment in all this stuff. You could just do that if you like."

Just a comma splice to fix.

Every little dent in your shield I want to know how it happened.

This just doesn't sound grammatical to me. Maybe 'every little dent in your shield - I want to know how it happened' would be better, but I'm still uncertain about it.

Oh, this was so painful! I mean, it's a funny line, but you can feel the sadness under it and it makes me ache for her.

Daena realised with a jolt that the last time she'd seen that expression before today it had been was on Janet's face when she'd first heard their father was coming home

This might be a more concise way to express the sentence, but it's only a suggestion.

Overall Thoughts

1) This was yet another enjoyable chapter, though I think the second half of it was much more engrossing than the first half. You could be a bit pacier near the beginning, because it felt like you spent a long time just talking about them getting armour to the river and lifting it out of the box, which doesn't really draw me in that much. Once Gordon started talking about his prevention of the assassination, however, I could feel myself sitting up straighter and paying more attention. You handle that conversation really well and sow a few seed of intrigue without being obvious about it. I'm not sure whether to believe if Gordon is just being too modest or if there's something more suspect going on, but I hope it's the latter.

2) Some of your sentences are a bit cobbled together in this chapter. The groundwork is all there, but it feels like you could trim some of them down and try and be more succinct on the whole.

3) I love the development of Daena's character in this chapter! We get a glimpse of how nerdy and childlike she can be, and I can understand why she struggles to make friends. Her relationship with Gordon is sweet, but I feel like the hero-worshipping might set her up for a bit of a fall in the future - she might realise that her father isn't as strong or powerful as she thinks. Daena seems so naive in general, to be honest. She thinks her father is greater than he is, thinks being a soldier is more exciting than it is. That tendency to build things up in your head is something I can really relate to, and it's such a believable flaw.

4) The information about Gordon stopping the assassin is really interesting. I love how desperate he is to not glorify it - it feels like you're going against the grain, because fantasy novels don't usually present the military with mundane realism. Gordon's words hint at something unsettling, too. Why is the royal family making a pet of him if he really did just do his duty? Do they have an ulterior motive? Does Gordon perhaps know more than he's even letting on to Daena?

So, on the whole, a good chapter. You could do with trimming down the slower first half, but the conversation between Daena and Gordon is great and I'm growing ever more curious about what will happen during the palace visit. You're taking a nice, gradual pace with this story that I really appreciate it. You're letting us get to know the family and the characters before you tip us into the main conflict, which I think is the best thing to do. We have to care about the people involved before we can feel the full force of the plot.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

ExOmelas says...

Oh thank god i was so worried the thing with Gordon not being a hero was going to sound contrived. i was expecting "wait, so he saved the life of his commander and he's being rewarded? what's so weird about that?"

fair enough about the first half. one thing i've noticed i could work on in this and the other camp nano project is that i have the urge to explain like, every process that gets a character from one place to another, if that makes sense. i think it's because i want to build a clear picture but i'm going to work on when to rein it in xD

thanks for the review! :D

Panikos says...

Yeah it's not always easy to tell whether something needs writing about, so you may as well put it all in and then figure out what you can cut. No harm in it. :)

No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words