Lies, Cheating, Tears, & More Lies- Chapter Two

by graceelizabeth4250

*Chapter Two*

"New Beginnings"

"It's been two years today..." Jocelyn whispered. I just twiddled my thumbs and stared at my parents' graves. I longed to feel their touch, just feel the warmth of their hugs just one more time. We're getting better. Trying to sort out the overwhelming sadness. Some days are worse than others. I feel tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. I quickly grab Jocelyn's hand and squeeze. I feel her reassuring squeeze back and I sigh in relief at the assurance that I'm not going through this alone. I look over at my sister, I sigh, and embrace her in a hug. Beep! Jocelyn quickly sets the flowers we brought, down onto our parents' graves. I kiss the edge of my pointer finger and connect it with my parents memorial stones. It wasn't like feeling their touch, but it was almost like I was in their arms again. I sigh knowing I will never, truly feel that feeling again. Beep, Beep! Jocelyn grabs my arm linking us together, as we walk to our grandmother's car. This was the beginning of our forever. 

-

After a five hour car ride I stumble out of grandma's van, sweating. I start to stretch. Then i notice Jocelyn fell asleep. She could sleep through anything. I chuckled silently. I slapped her lightly, and she jumped up hitting her head on the car roof, hard. I start laughing then smirk at her. "What the heck?!" 

"Love you." I blew a kiss at her, and she just looked annoyed. I get a dazzling look on my face jump to the side, do jazz hands towards the building. I went around to the trunk and grabbed our suitcases out of the back. Jocelyn shuffles out of the car, and she hugs me, smiling brightly. We both turned around, holding in our breath, and then we let it out.

I stare at the Victorian styled boarding school in awe, knowing that after I leave this school, my life will be changed forever, good or bad, I have yet to figure out... Jocelyn and I squeal and embrace each other, and we rocked back and fourth crying tears of joy. 

"I've never seen someone so happy to arrive at school before." I turn around ready to throw a sarcastic comment back, when I see him.

"EASTON!" I throw myself at him and he picks me up and he twirls me around in his arms. He kisses my cheek. Fireworks explode inside of me, and heat rises to my cheeks. He notices my blush, and he smirks at me. I wipe the blush off my face, and I glare at him. 

"What are you doing here? I didn't know you were joining Scarlett Rose!" 

"Well, we haven't spoken ever sense you moved, and you never said goodbye... so, I just figured you didn't care, I guess, so why should I?" 

"I'm..." 

"Don't say your sorry when you don't mean it, you don't do something like that, then regret it, you made your choice, and I've made my choice to move on with my life, so do me a favor, and never talk to me again."

He turns towards Jocelyn trying to ignore my comment. "Hey, Jocelyn! How are you?" He pulls Jocelyn into a hug, and jealousy overwhelmed me. I turn towards grandma, and pull her into a hug. 

"Thank you, for everything. I love you, Grams!' 

"Oh I love you too, Gen!' Have fun here. Check in often!' 

"I will!' I take a deep breath. I grab my suitcases and head towards the lobby, Jocelyn in tow. I grab Jocelyn's hand and squeeze. I turn her body towards me. "Hey... Here's to our future, its ours. Lets move on, and leave the past behind us, yeah? Here's to our new beginning!" She squeezes my shoulders, and we exchange a smile. I feel like, in a way, that speech of confidence made up for me running away the day our world turned into crap, leaving her behind, because I wasn't brave enough to take it. Tears start to brew in my eyes, but for once, its of overwhelming happiness, and not having a thing to worry about. I push open the doors to Scarlett Rose, and take in a breath, link with my sister, and we smile, and strut. 

Author's Note: I hope you liked this chapter!I will post right here an authors note when the 3rd chapter is up to help u guys follow along a bit better! It it not yet posted though. I'm going to start doing previously on Lies, Cheating, Tears, & More Lies for those who haven't read the previous chapter, but I really suggest following along, and going back and reading chapters if you have to, because you might get confused lol. Again, reviews are appreciated! Suggestions help! I know this chapter wasn't super long, they get a bit longer, but I don't want to overwhelm u guys lol. 

Lefty wrote a review...

Hi, there! Lefty here to review chapter 2!

This chapter was good. It showed how they felt two years after their parents deaths and more of their sister relationship. I thought how they felt about their parents two years later was pretty realistic, so nice job on that. Having them go to boarding school put a whole new twist on the story that I didn't expect which was good! Okay, now onto some nitpicks:

just feel the warmth of their hugs just one more time

Although I really like how you said this for the most part, I felt that having two "just"s in there made it sound a little repetitive.

This was the beginning of our forever.

Again, I really like how you said this line, but it makes it feel like this should be more recent to their deaths than it is. I suppose it makes more sense as the chapter goes on, but if this is the beginning of their new life, what have they done for the last two years?

It makes sense the Easton would be upset that Gen hadn't stayed in contact with him, but if he's so upset that he never wants to talk to her again, why did he swing her around and kiss her like he was happy to see her? I also thought that him saying "never talk to me again" was a little strong. Besides just not staying in touch, she didn't actually hurt him... Unless he likes her a lot more than he lets on and it was really painful for him to get over. In which case, it would me sense for him to react that way and it tips us off that something is a little off for his reaction.

With the conversation between Gen and Easton, you might want to mention who is talking on one of the lines. I was pretty sure I knew who was talking (and have it figured out now) but I was a little confused at first.

Again, I found some tense issues throughout this chapter but they are very random. Rather than paragraphs switching, it was more like sentences. So, just watch for that next time you read through it. For instance: "I chuckled silently. I slapped her lightly, and she jumped up hitting her head on the car roof, hard." That whole sentence is past-tense, then it goes back to present. If it was present, it would look like this: "I chuckle silently. I slap her lightly, and she jumps up hitting her head on the car roof, hard." For the most part, anything ending in "ed" like that is past-tense. Rock/Rocked, Overwhelm/Overwhelmed. But overall, the repetition was better in this chapter. I used to have a horrible time with tenses, but over time I learned more about it. So no worries!

Ok, that's it for the nitpicks. I liked how you started out the chapter with them at their parents graves. It was almost like they were saying goodbye a final time before they left for boarding school which was sweet. I also really liked Gen's speach as they walked into the school. Very motivational and nicely written. I really like how you describe everything. Some sentences were written rather beautifully. I got a pretty clear picture in my head of everything that was going on. I also liked Gen's sense of humor. So keep up the good work. This chapter was enjoyable to read just like the first one was. I'll keep an eye out for chapter 3! Have a nice day and keep writing!

-Lefty

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hi there, nit-picks first:

I look over at my sister, I sigh, and embrace her in a hug.

Should be a new sentences at "I sigh". This is called a run-on and is when two grammatically correct sentences are smushed together with incorrect punctuation. I'll let you know if I spot any others.

Jocelyn quickly sets the flowers we brought, down onto our parents' graves.

You don't need the comma here.

I kiss the edge of my pointer finger and connect it with my parents memorial stones.

After a comforting word like "kiss", "connect" was a bit clinical. This is all your character has of their parents. "connect" just isn't tender enough for a moment like this.

Jocelyn grabs my arm linking us together, as we walk to our grandmother's car.

There should be a comma between "arm" and "linking" but take out the other one.

Then i notice Jocelyn fell asleep.

Capitalise the "I". Also, in this paragraph there are many points when you switch between past and present tense. Choose a tense and stick with it.

"EASTON!"

The first thing I ever got told off for on here was full-caps. It looks unprofessional and the word can speak for itself (keep the exclamation mark though).

ever sense you moved

"sense" should be "since".

At first I thought she was happy to see Easton so it was very confusing when her anger was revealed. Add something about her frown or her face going red etc when she shouts his name, that way her anger would be foreshadowed.

speech of confidence

These are usually called 'pep talks'.

its of overwhelming happiness

"its" should be "they're" and for the record it would have been "it's".

not having a thing to worry about

I wouldn't go that far. Her parents are still dead.

~~~

For such a short chapter, your characterisation was actually pretty good, so thank you for the pleasant surprise.

I think you could have worked a lot more setting in while they were at the cemetery. The weather could compliment the mood ie rain and wind, and then when they get to Scarlett Rose, the sun could come out to represent a new beginning. If you are at all interested to know, this technique is called 'pathetic fallacy'.

The conversation between your MC and Easton was great, once I realised she was angry. You didn't state anything too obvious but I still got a sense of what was going on.

Watch out for infodumping, but there wasn't too much of it here.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Well done :)

runandhide wrote a review...

Hey!

This is good! You have a really good structure, which is nice and I think the characters are quite everyday people, which I like :)

As you said, your chapters (I went and read chapter 1 haha) are pretty short. It's not big a problem, just that it makes it quite difficult to really become hooked.

In the first few chapters of any story it can be quite hard to understand what's going on, and with this I found the problem of feeling a bit on the outside because I didn't understand who everyone was and what their purpose is. I know it'll become clearer later on though.

Has she just arrived at boarding school for the first time? (I'm sorry I'm really confused)

I would suggest adding more feeling and imagery to it. Like really describing everyone and how she feels and things like that, just to add more depth to the writing.

Your word choice is interesting, strut would suggest she's quite confident, or is pretending to be. I think I want to know more about her as a character, because right now I've not really connected with this girl.

Your writing is pretty good though, and I think the story is interesting, good luck with it! :D

Thank you so much! Yes, it reveals more depth to their characters throughout the story. The chapters also get longer. And yes she is going to boarding school, I'm showing that the girls are ready for a new start, and this boarding school is their new start.

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson