12+

Chapter Two: Kate

by BeTheChange

Rule one: Don’t show your emotions to anyone.

Rule two: Don’t get attached to people outside your barracks—or inside it, for that matter. People die, and grief only hurts your performance.

Rule three: Show no mercy when the enemy approaches.

***

“I have to patrol WHERE?”

“You heard me, Sutherland. The ruins. Nobody has looked at that area in a while, and you’re the only senior officer available tonight.”

I start to argue, but think better of it. Nothing ever HAPPENS in the Ruins. The King and his advisors abandoned the rebuilding efforts a long time ago in favor of gambling and corruption, and there’s not enough good shelter for any refugees to live there.

But my sergeant gave me an order, so I’d better go and check.

These stupid ruins are freezing—and abandoned, just like I knew they’d be. I can’t wait to tell the sergeant, and I can’t wait to see the look of embarrassment on her face when she realizes I was right!

On the other hand, I can almost hear what she’ll say: “Are you sure nothing was out there? Remember, thorough jobs can be the difference between life and death.”

So I slowly and angrily begin to travel through the ruins, pointing my flashlight and my gun into every nook and cranny. Nothing here, nothing there, absolutely no problems. Like I said, this place is empty.

I look in the shadow of a large pile of bricks, expecting to see nothing.

That’s not what I get.

Instead, there’s a kid in a tattered but recognizable Kingdom uniform. He flinches at the sight of me, but doesn’t fight or run, or even speak. Weird. Aren’t all of these rich people loud and angry? Then I realize who he is.

“I’ve seen you on the news reports. You’re next in line to be King!”” I scowl at him and continue, “I hope I’m the one to execute you. You’re a bad person from an evil family.”

I haul him to his feet, handcuff him, and call for backup using my radio.

“This is Sutherland. I’ve got a prisoner.”

My whole team comes about ten minutes later. Their eyes widen when they see the boy, but they know not to ask questions until we get back to the barracks.

I keep my gun trained on him all the way home. 

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:17 pm
crossroads wrote a review...

Hi again!

Oh, a POV switch… Let's see what we have here c:
I'm assuming "Kate" is this character's name, and will refer to them as a female, so please correct me if I'm wrong in either of those things!

Okay, I can go with starting a chapter with a set of rules. Makes me think the character is some sort of a soldier in an organised group, and they've been following these rules their whole life. Which works.
What I'm a bit ehh about is the separation of the rules and the chapter. Are the rules the intro that will keep being repeated every time this character's chapter comes along? I assume the rules will connect to the story later on (as in, there will be some attachment happening, and probably some grief and loss as well), and I'll be looking forward to that. But for now, I lack a connection between the list of rules and the story itself. Have you thought of making a softer transition there?

At first, this reads like the "Nothing ever happens…" is what she's thinking of to stop herself from starting an argument. But in the end it doesn't seem to be that: it seems like you tell us that she thinks better of it, and then proceed to tell us about the Ruins and why she'd be right to argue (because going there makes no sense). And then she goes anyway.
Again, just as in the first chapter, you have room to expand here. What does "think better of it" means? Would she get punished for disobeying, or is it just that she believes she'll be there and back quickly enough for arguing to not make sense? Do you see what I'm saying? I'd like to see her thoughts in this, rather than you telling me what she thinks.

The bit where she's thinking about what she'd tell the sergeant and what the sergeant would say is more voice-y. It gives me more of a sense of who the character is and what their personality might be like.

So I slowly and angrily begin to travel through the ruins

Show me this. Show me the way she thumps around, or drags her feet, or kicks a rock, suppresses annoyed sighs, whatever.

This feels like a bit of an overkill. I don't feel like it's realistic that she'd just blurt that out like this, especially with the first rule being to not show emotions to anyone. She hates him, and is obviously passionate about hating the King and his family: that's emotion right there. And if she wants to kill him, why doesn't she just do it? No one else is there. The sergeant will never know. If she believes that he should die, and from the looks of it she seems to believe that he will, it's just the matter of who does the job, why care to follow protocol or whatever?

These are the things that characterisation matters for. She could be thinking about whatever she hates the King for while she's searching the ruins. You could have her remark on the state of things, or see the palace in the distance and grumble about it to herself. Give us something that makes us, the readers, believe that she hates them and considers them an evil family, and wants them dead. And then you leave it unsaid when she encounters the King's son.

My whole team comes about ten minutes later.

A whole team also feels a bit too much for one prisoner, especially if she didn't sound distressed. Did she even need backup, really? She refers to him as "kid", she's trained and he, as we know and as she's probably able to tell, knows nothing about fighting. She could've probably just lead him back with a gun to his back without calling for anyone else.

Actually, I think you could more effectively end this chapter with her just reporting that she's got a prisoner. Maybe tweak the sentence before to remove the word "backup" (because that too is telling, and it's unnecessary since it's clear enough from the call), and then wrap it up with the punch of "I've got a prisoner." It has a stronger ring to it than your ending right now, and certainly makes us want to see what happens next.

So far, I think you might have an interesting story on your hands, with a lot to explore. I'd like to see more voice and insight to the characters in the next chapters, especially as the two interact. It's crucial in writing in general, and especially so when you have two (or more) first-person POVs. And don't rush it! You have room to show us more details, so feel free to take your time.

I'll be looking forward to the next chapter~

-CoN

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:07 pm
Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Steggy here for a review!

Since you published a chapter, I'm just going to hope right in (because why not?) So right off the bat, I can tell this is from a different point of view from a different character in this novel. I mentioned in the previous chapter about background info. As I was reading, Sutherland comes across as a police investigator trying to solve the case of the missing heir (sounds like a good title for this novel). But I want to know why she was put on the case. Is she related to the heir? How, of all places, did she go to the ruins? Maybe the heir was right; the news might've been recording the whole time was escaping.
The beginning of this chapter confuses me just a bit. What I'm thinking is it has something to do with learning as a cop or something. A suggestion I would have might be explain a little more in depth with the beginning. I think where you were going with this would be the guild lines for this chapter because each rule that you've stated is what Kate is doing throughout this chapter. I think that's a good idea also.
One thing I noticed between the two chapters would be this is about two different characters and told in two different point of views. There should be a bridge between Kate and Cove that actually connects to later chapters. Like, how far ahead is this chapter set in? You should mention that somewhere in this chapter because to me it seems that this chapter is set a few weeks or even months when Cove was last seen.

I'm just going to jump right into the beginning and say: these rules are a bit bland. I think maybe later on you should include some form of background behind these rules (ex: for rule number two could be a captain falling in love with a vice captain, etc. Like a Romeo and Juliet type of ordeal). Speaking of rule two, I have a prediction on what might happen later on. ;)

“I have to patrol WHERE?”

Though this is good you are going back to past events, I don't think it would be necessary to capitalize both happens and there. Sometimes, it is a sight for sore eyes. I think the best case you could do for this would be just bolding the words. It has the same effect as it would with caps because it is making those two words known. The same could go if you wanted to use italics. Also, I think what you meant instead of advisors would be advisers. They mean the same thing, just adviser is someone older and more "advance". As I'm guessing, they are more "in depth" with situations such as abandoning the place or finding the prince.

I start to argue, but think better of it.

As I mentioned before in the previous chapter, think about what tense you are in. It is very common that most writers switch between the two without even realizing it and just leave it the way it is. In this case, I think "think" should be "thought. It just flows better with that word and makes most sense.
Another thing I noticed is you have some unnecessary articles in most of the sentences. There are some cases where you don't need articles like and, or, the. You should just continue the sentence from where you last left off. An example that I found when reading would be this:

The King and his advisors abandoned the rebuilding efforts a long time ago in favor of gambling and corruption, and there’s not enough good shelter for any refugees to live there.

The sentence after "and" should just be continued after a period or semicolon. There will be times where an "and" is okay. Remember: reread your work. You can find mistakes that you did not know existence until you check your work beforehand. It makes thing a lot easier for you and the reader.

We already know that Kate was given the order to find the prince so I don't think we would need to know again.

The rest of the chapter feels like it needs some form of action. Maybe the prince tries to fight back when Kate finds him? Maybe like a rabid raccoon might do. He hasn't seen people in forever and will most likely attack out of fright. Or, as you described him, scared of Kate to the point of him not talking to her but instead staring.
Like the previous chapter, this was a shorter one. I think that's a good/bad thing. I think what matters most about a chapter is the character introduction or advancement in trouble.
Even with a shorter chapter, you can describe more of Kate and how she is.

I think you could research more on how police forces work. The way you describe it seems a bit unrealistic. What rank is Kate? You should describe more of that. How do they carry the prince to headquarters? Car? Taxi? Flying machine? The possibilities are endless but I think you should say what the time period is beforehand (as mentioned in the previous chapter).

This was a nice next chapter. If you write another chapter, let me know! I like to see what happens next.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:19 am
SmokeScreen wrote a review...

OOOOOOO I LOVED IT!!! and I really like how you began it! rule one, rule two rule three omg it was awesome!! I am pretty impressed with your work! I think you did really good, the name were a bit different but hey/ different it most times a good thing :D I am so exited to read more of your work, you seem to be a pretty good writer, better then me hahaha, so keep on writing, you are great at it! sorry if this review was not to long and did not cover too much but I will be gone for a while and just wanted to tell you how awesome thing was
:D
great job. have an awesome day!!

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus