z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Prologue (The Mate Between Brothers) Improved Version

by deleted1967


The air was cool on his warm skin, for dusk had passed already hours ago, leaving a gentle breeze in its place. He'd only been wearing a thin black shirt and jeans, nothing to cover his bare arms. He was standing in front of a tall building, his eyes focused on the only window still lit by lamplight.

He wondered if he'd be able to see her, even at the distance that he was. A small hand came into view, holding a brush that was carefully combing through her brown hair. Just the sight of her hand, her hair, filled him with... excitement? But that wasn't quite it. His expression hadn't altered, though his heart began to hammer in his chest, beating with such intensity he thought his ribs might snap and break. His veins pulsed, adrenaline powering through them, and he didn't dare blink for he—

He slid into the shade of the bushes as soon as she looked over the windowsill. He prayed she wouldn't step out onto the balcony; surely she'd see him. Her face was porcelain, though without a doubt exceptionally beautiful. His eyes focused in on her, allowing him to see the green of her eyes, the flutter of her dark lashes, the lace collar of her silk nightgown, the rosiness of her flushed cheeks. The girl's arms were crossed, just below her breasts, rather in protection and warmth than in frustration. She held a hard expression, almost confused. He wondered if perhaps she'd heard him rustle a branch on accident, or a twig break under his step. Though it was barely a few seconds— a few very long seconds—before she turned back into the room, shutting the window to keep out the brisk air. He waited for any sound, anything to run his belief that he might catch a glimpse of her once more that night, but the dousing of the room's light shut off his hopefulness.

He had turned to head to the streets, away from the house and towards his own, when he heard a crack. If he'd been a cat, his ears would have twitched towards the noise. Stopping in his tracks, he turned to face the sound, eyes squinted to see into the dark night shadows. He could make out a tall figure, unrecognizable by the lack of light. All he did was stare with mild confusion, his eyebrows slightly furrowed.

The silhouette slowly made its way towards the road, the streetlights illuminating the figure. It was a man, though very different from the one who had been watching the girl. His hair was a shiny white, seeming to be more silver in the light of the colorless street lamp as the other man's was dark as the midnight sky.

He had a much smaller build, more gangly, though his toned arms were noticeable through his white long sleeved shirt. He had grey eyes, where the other had dark brown, nearly black ones.

The silver haired boy opened his mouth, "Spying on the girl, are you, Minn? I never picked you as the stalker type." Though his words seemed to joke, his expression was blank.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were back with Lucinda—"

"I was," He interrupted, "but of course if you had bothered to tell me that you were leaving I wouldn't have snuck out."

"The moon is full tonight. You shouldn't be out here; it's dangerous. You could get hurt—"

"Just as much as you could." The boy with the silver hair looked rather bothered, snarling.

"No." The dark haired boy, Minn, chuckled humorlessly, "Not as much as I could. I can handle myself."

"And I can't?"

Minn shook his head, a trace of a grin on his lips.

The other boy's eyebrows furrowed, casting a shadow on his light eyes. "We're not supposed to see her. Not until she comes to us. You know that."

"Us? Hmm, funny that you think that she could be compelled to you. The only one of us that she will find is me."

His hands closed into tight fists, his nails digging into his palms, "Fine. I can play your stupid little game. But she will find me first, I can promise you that."

"She may find you first, but that does not mean she will choose you. I can argue you that." Minn began to walk away from the silver haired boy, his grin still painted on his face.

"Two can play your game! I know how you do it, and I promise you I will not lose!" His words were lost in the night for his companion had already vanished into the shadows, leaving him alone in the deserted street.

~ ~ ~

Hey there! Author here! So, I've gotten some feedback on the original version of this, but I improved it to be a little bit better (hence "Improved Version"). Hoping to get some more feedback on ways that I can tweak this piece! Hope you have something for me ;)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 1105
Reviews: 24

Donate
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 pm
Lumos wrote a review...



Hi BaileyMatwiiw! Lumos dropping by for a review.

You have a good start and I'm curious what's going on at the end. There are a few things I would like to point out: In the first paragraph, it says "He wondered if he'd be able to see her, even at the distance that he was." But then he can easily see her eye color a moment later? This left me a little confused, since eye color is probably not something you would notice even from several feet away. Unless if he has some super werewolf vision (I'm guessing this is about werewolves?), and if that's the case, I would try to mention something about superior vision. If you're trying not to reveal that they're werewolves then maybe just take out the eye color completely.

A small hand came into view, holding a brush that was carefully combing through her brown hair.


This sentence struck me as odd, and it doesn't seem to really flow that well. I get that she's combing her hair, but the vision in my head is that the brush is combing her hair (without her hands going through the motion, if that makes any sense).

Another thing is that this sentence suggests that her hand is only in view, but later the entire girl is in view? Perhaps wording it something like this: A girl walked in front of the window, gazing out while combing through her hair.


He had turned to head to the streets, away from the house and towards his own, when he heard a crack. If he'd been a cat, his ears would have twitched towards the noise.


The first sentence is a bit wordy and doesn't flow that well. "He'd turned to head home when he heard a loud crack." Less words, more punch (that should be my new motto ha). This is just something that comes with practice and reading a lot can help too. :)

I also agree with CorvusQueen that the comparison to the cat is a bit odd.

The boy with the silver hair looked rather bothered, snarling.


The 'snarling' on the end of this sentence doesn't really fit. I'm not sure if the character is supposed to be snarling here, and if so he can't be both bored and snarling since these two contradict each other.

There's obviously some tension between these two characters - they're going to have to fight over this girl. Do they even know anything about her? What makes them want her so bad? How do they know about her? Does she know she's going to have to choose between these two, or does she have an option? Can she choose neither?

These are questions I'm guessing will be answered in future chapters, but they're just things that I wondered while reading.

Overall, you have a good writing style with potential! I'm worried about this story could be a clique werewolf love triangle. I'm also weary of stories that with peeping toms staring in windows of young girls (I wouldn't classify that as normal behavior). Not to say that you have a bad story or anything, just that I would be cautious to continue reading. I did say earlier that I am curious what's going on, so I would read the next few chapters to see how it goes.

Keep writing! :)




deleted1967 says...


I've been told once before that someone was worried it would get a little cliche, but I promise you, I have my own twist. The disguise is that there is only one problem, choosing between two boys, but of course, there are little clues around the edges of chapters that hint at something else entirely. I promise you, the romance is only a cover, so it's not likely anyone will expect something bad to happen, but I assure you, there will a twist.



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 106
Reviews: 42

Donate
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm
Corvus wrote a review...



Hi! I am not very good at reviewing, but, to be totally honest a need points.


"The air was cool on his warm skin, for dusk had passed already hours ago, leaving a gentle breeze in its place."-------Run on sentence?

"If he'd been a cat, his ears would have twitched towards the noise."-------That is an odd comparison.

""The moon is full tonight. You shouldn't be out here; it's dangerous. You could get hurt—""------ Werewolves?!

That's about all I can find. Bye!

-CorvusQueen




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 107
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:15 am
Tylexie says...



Nice! I can't really see any more errors now that grammar is fixed. Your writing style is really satisfying; I've gotten too used to stumbling writing that doesn't properly convey a message or develop a story. It's a relief to be reading this right now.




deleted1967 says...


That actually makes me so happy! I'm glad you think that my style is "really satisfying." I swear that just made my day! Thanks so much!!!



Tylexie says...


You're welcome!



deleted1967 says...


Oh! I'm just writing the next chapter now. Hopefully you'll read it when it's done? It should be up either tonight or tomorrow. Within the next 24 hours at most, haha.



Tylexie says...


Ok, I will read it.



deleted1967 says...


I swear it won't be awfully long. It shouldn't be any more than double the size of the prologue, at the very most!




To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13