by BagelMarie

Chapter 2 - The Hunting Trip

Jeremy set up camp as soon as he reached the hunting grounds, in a convenient cove under an overhanging rock. He pitched his small tent – a feat which took him longer than he’d care to admit – and found some stones which he formed into a ring on the ground. He then dropped some sticks that he had collected on his journey into the center of the ring for a campfire later on. Then, after a couple of practice shots with his new weapon, Jeremy ventured out to find prey.

On his trek, he came across some deer and foxes, but to his dismay, he discovered that his skill was not up to catching them. Not only was he unable to hit the creatures, he couldn’t even get his arrow loaded onto the bowstring before they noticed him and ran off. In fact, his pursuit showed him that he was actually much clumsier than even he had previously thought. Figuring that most of his skill would lie in his wit and cleverness, he set traps for the animals he knew he would not be able to fell through force. More than once he walked into these traps himself, and never managed to notice that many of the creatures he had intended to catch were watching him as he set them up. Thus, the first day of his hunting trip was overwhelmingly unsuccessful, and more than a little discouraging.

Jeremy went back to his campsite, defeated, and searched through his pack for his reserve food supply. He lit his campfire (thus far the only task he accomplished within a short time span) and ate his meager supper before laying out his bedroll and turning in. Despite his failure that day, he came to find that lying out under the stars, surrounded by the thick scent of pine, and listening to the crackle of the fire, he felt as though he was right where he was meant to be. In any case, he figured that hunting and fishing weren’t absolutely essential for a worldwide adventure – surely he’d visit enough towns and villages to be able to buy fruits and bread to sustain himself. The thought of fulfilling his lifelong dream put his worries at ease, and he eventually drifted off to sleep.

Jeremy awoke the next morning to the singing of birds and the warmth of the sun’s rays. He opened his eyes and gazed out at his campsite, and he couldn’t help the smile that formed on his face. He quickly got up, snatched an apple out of his bag, grabbed his fishing pole, and walked swiftly toward the river.

When he reached the water, he spied a large bolder where he could perch and he cast out his line. The river’s flow at this spot was very slow, almost stagnant. Jeremy could see the shining fish darting back and forth in the murky water. Whether it was the stillness of the water or because he truly had a knack for the sport, Jeremy’s foray into fishing yielded much different results than his hunting attempt the day before. By the afternoon, he had a nice little collection of fish – all fairly small, but after his luck from the previous day, it was a wonderful victory in his mind. Feeling satisfied with this, Jeremy retired to his camp for the rest of the day, where he cooked a few of his small fish for dinner and fell asleep early, feeling ready to try his hand at hunting again in the morning.

The next day, Jeremy was delighted to find that he managed to catch a rabbit in one of his traps, and a bird in another. He returned home later that afternoon, to which the people of Merrihill were either not surprised to see him back after so short a time (with such little result) or very surprised to see him back at all. In spite of their opinions however, Jeremy could feel an unrivaled sense of accomplishment, and immediately began making arrangements for his journey.

There were a few in Merrihill (besides his parents) who did not mock Jeremy, but rather thought that an expedition to see the world would be good for him. Among these people were the town’s carpenter and the tailor. Both of them congratulated him on the success of his hunt and on the news of his trip, and offered to donate supplies to him.

“Where do you think you’ll go, lad?” asked the carpenter, a portly yet strong man who went simply by Mullar. He worked at sanding a walking stick as he spoke.

“I think I’ll start to the north, in Orsoria,” Jeremy answered. “In my time exploring Lochnall, it’s my favorite place that I’ve seen. Look here—“ he reached around to the satchel that hung at his side and dug through it, eventually producing a small leather journal. He flipped through a few pages before showing it to Mullar. “Torren is the desert land, to the west. I don’t think I’d like to start there. To the northwest, Myinae Forest.” He paused and thought for a moment. “I don’t think I’m ready to travel into it just yet.” He paused again pensively, then continued: “But Orsoria… It’s beautiful! I’ve seen the farms of Lyanthus and I’ve read about Norfield, the capitol city that lies beyond it. It’s the perfect place to start. Then I can work around Erus from there.”

“So it’s all decided, then?” Mullar asked, smiling at the passion in Jeremy’s voice.

Jeremy nodded, returning the carpenter’s smile. “Yes,” he replied, “I’m leaving. I’d like to leave as soon as I’m packed, but I promised Mother I’d stay until the day after tomorrow. The mare’s foal should be arriving within the next day and she’ll need my help, with Father leaving for the faire tonight.”

The Vondran family did most of their marketing at special events during the year, as these faires and festivals were not only a place to make money with the show horses, but also a perfect opportunity to spread awareness of their skill. Jeremy’s father was attending a nearby faire with some of the horses and would be gone for at least a day and a half.

Jeremy thanked Mullar, gathered what items he had given him, and went to visit the tailor, who had some blankets and garments to give him. He collected the gifts, chatted for a bit, then said farewell to his friend and returned home to finish his preparations.

When he arrived, he found that his mother had also made some garments for him, and had already packed them away. He spent the rest of that day working around the ranch and cleaning his bounty from his trip.

During the next day, the foal was born, and Jeremy’s mother spent most of the afternoon preparing foods for him – at least, enough to hold him over until he reached the next town. His father returned the next morning, and Jeremy departed almost immediately upon his arrival. He loaded all of his supplies onto his personal horse, then said goodbye to his parents and made his way north, toward the country of Orsoria.

As he rode through streets of Merrihill, he smiled and waved at the people. His cheerful farewells were met with tired and exasperated glances and mutterings of either “He’ll be back in a week,” or “He’s going to die out there.” Jeremy was deaf to all of this however, and continued jovially on his way.

By the afternoon, he had reached the border of Orsoria. Having seen all of Lochnall so many times, he hadn’t felt compelled to take his time on his way there. He paused right at the edge of the country and inhaled slowly as he glanced over his shoulder. Jeremy gave a little smile as he admired Lochnall one last time. Then he turned back and sighed with content as he nudged his horse onward and took his first steps out of his homeland.

Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 am
NoName wrote a review...

Hi BagelMarie,
This is my take on the your novel so far:

Story is kind of slow and after 2 chapters nothing much has happened, which is perfectly normal. I really loved the way you spent your first whole chapter to sketch the place, details were nice. Honestly, I think you should have added more details to the planet but may be that’s fine.

I really loved the way Jeremy failed in the first day of his hunting trip, it would have been stupid if he had been successful in his first attempt on day one of his trip.

Day 2 was awfully small, he cached some fish and it’s over. I didn’t like it. You should have made him do something more. You wrote that he felt satisfied with the fishes that he caught. Adventurer don’t feel satisfied, they strive for more. Well, it’s your story but to me it seemed that this Jeremy fellow is just lazy.

On day 3 he caught a rabbit and a bird, then he returned home. Is this Jeremy an adventurer or a Buddha?

Anyway I really loved your imagination and the way you set the whole thing up. In my opinion the Novel can use a little more details. You should really take some more time to add texture to the places and try to sketch ‘em in a way that the reader can visualize ‘em without any extra effort. Feel free to make your chapters a bit longer.

I think your writing style is good but it’s not unique. You are trying to follow a pattern, which was laid down a long time ago. Reading this felt like I was reading something from 20th century. May that’s your thing, you wanted to keep it retro.

I expect that a lot is going to happen in upcoming chapters and that we’ll see this Jeremy fellow grow as a person. Make new friends, find himself and understand life but please don’t make it predictable.

I would look forward to reading the next chapters. In case you get offended, feel free to trash my work. I just wrote what I felt.

I really hope the carpenter plays an important role in your story ‘cause you have already spent your important words trying to develop him.

P.S. It looks like a Tolkien rip-off. I really hope I am wrong.

BagelMarie says...

Thanks for reading! I know these first couple chapters are short and slow, this is just a quick look into Jeremy's life and why he's setting out on this journey. They'll be visiting pretty much every region in the world so they will each get their descriptions as the group comes to them.

Jeremy not accomplishing much on the hunting trip was the point - he's very naive and it doesn't take much to impress him. In his mind, a few small fish and a bird and a rabbit are a great accomplishment, so he returns from the trip thinking he's proven to the townspeople that he can handle this expedition when really, he hasn't even scratched the surface of what it means to survive in the wild. In the next couple of chapters he gets a look at the "darker side" of survival and it takes a little bit of a toll on him. ;)

I don't think it's a Tolkien rip-off... Granted that's just my perspective since I feel like I came up with much of the story on my own haha, and I won't hide the fact that I attempted to emulate his style of writing because it's a good template for adventure stories. To be fair, his novels did lay the framework for virtually every fantasy novel/series that followed, but he didn't invent elves and dwarves and goblins and wizards, so while my story may feature some of these races, it doesn't necessarily make it a rip-off. If anything, I'd say I was inspired by World of Warcraft, as my character doesn't start his journey with a clear-cut end goal (like destroying the Ring or retaking Erebor); he's an adventurer who completes "quests" and meets new companions and eventually a threat comes along that they have to defeat.

I'm not offended at all! I posted my story so I could get feedback and make it the best story it can possibly be! ^^ So thank you for offering your insight, and I will strive not to make my story predictable hehe! :)

Boluk wrote a review...

Wait a minute how come there's no title? Whatever I'll just review this story like normal

What I liked: The descriptions made everything appear very vividly in my head. Also I can tell that Jeremy is going to be a pretty fun character who we as the reader can put ourselves in pretty gosh darn easily. We also get some character development with him which I confess, I love. And finally we get some nice flaws from Jeremy such as him not being a really good hunter and also you haven't done the cliche of both his parents being killed by the big bad. I have nothing wrong with it if you do it later but It was always a general pet peeve of mine where the main character's parents get killed to set off the story. And finally I like how you kind off set up the Hero's journey. And if you don't know what the hero's journey is it's basically a sequence of events that lead the story all the way through tell the end. The first part of the hero's journey is the call to adventure which you seemed to have set up masterfully here.

What I didn't like: uuum...this is hard. I mean so,far nothing seems really bad per say there are just a few grammar errors which I really don't care about as I believe that the story should come first, everything else is just secondary
Conclusion: overall this story is pretty great you should just add a second chapter.

Boluk out!

BagelMarie says...

Thank you very much for the review! It doesn't have a title because I haven't thought of one I like yet, hehe. ^^; Plus I still have to decide if I want this to be a single novel or a series, which means I'll need a series title AND a title for each individual book! So it's a work-in-progress!

This is chapter 2, and I'll be uploading chapter 3 sometime soon so I hope you'll continue to follow the story! Thanks again! ^^

Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, BagelMarie. I am here to provide you a review in honor of Review Day. Let’s get started, shall we?

Note: I did just read the first chapter before coming here, so I will be doing a review on the concept of the first chapter ( such as the storyline and character development ) and a whole review of chapter two.

Impression on Story thus far:

The sense of adventure even though Jeremy doesn’t have much experience. Typical J.R.R Tolkien concept, which I like. ( I enjoy J.R.R Tolkien’s work as well, so reading this story will be like reading his work lel. ) I liked the passion in Jeremy. Even though he doesn’t have much experience in hunting or fighting, his determination to explore new places does not waver. So far, we have learned that Jeremy is passionate on his goal, determined to see them through. We also see that Jeremy does have the knowledge of some of the places he intends to go, but realizes that he is not ready to face it just yet since he is just a novice adventurer.

Nitpicks & Stuff:

The only issue I had with this story so far is that there’s not a lot of interaction between the main character and the townspeople, which I completely understand if you don’t want to add fillers since the townspeople are irrelevant in the story. I would’ve liked to see of a more emotional goodbye between him and his parents. I understood that his parents want him to follow his dream, but as parents, should they be concerned for him? That’s my issue on the matter though, just no emotional connection between him and his parents.

Overall Conclusion:

Overall, the plot of the story is intriguing and enjoyed the Tolkien concept within the story itself. Jeremy’s character development so far is interesting. You helped the reader learn more about his character, which I understood from reading both chapters. As I mentioned, if you plan to continue this in the future, make sure you add more dialogue and a more emotional connection between him and other main characters you plan on adding to the story. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to read the next chapter update. Also, as for a title, I do have a title suggestion: Maybe call it ‘An Adventurer’s Dream’? Just a suggestion though. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day.

- Kanome

BagelMarie says...

Thank you for reading! I'm glad I conveyed the Tolkien style well (not that I'm trying to "steal" it haha, but it's a good template for fantasy and adventure). I like the idea of a longer goodbye! I hadn't even thought of it, but I definitely think it would be good to add. :)

I know it's really lacking on dialogue right now, and that it's super slow, but since this is just a glimpse into Jeremy's life and how this adventure begins, I wanted to just brush over it really quick. The next chapter is still a little slow but 4 and 5 start picking up with the dialogue and we meet some of the supporting characters and start forming the core group of adventurers. ^^

That is a cute title! But the reason I say it's RPG-inspired is because it starts with a single adventurer who travels to different towns completing quests and meeting new people until an apocalyptic threat comes along and they have to go to war to save the world, haha. So I know I'm focusing really heavily on Jeremy's dreams but that's just the excuse to get him out the door and bring the heroes together.. ;)

Thanks again!

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"