Burning the Tear Flower

by BEASTtheHUN

He was always there; and never quite. Burning flowers in a fragile vase, turn to the white walls and gasp at the vacuum. The room was his soul, mirrored in each stroke of white, in each dab of cream-colored paint on dry walls. Painting his blood on his dry skin. Pale skin, blue veins firing like cylinders. He was here; yes, stuck in the moment. Waiting for time and space to collide - bring down the fragile walls he had erected over twenty years. Twenty years of sweating over stones, stumbling through the ruins of whatever he called his life. Picking the perfect stones, erecting his perfect life. . .

Waiting for the tempest.

. . .but not. Even the stones had betrayed him. He could have spent a hundred years and been no better than now.

Cream-colored walls in the vacuum. In and out of time.

He needed to open the window.

There was a body in the backyard. Fool that he was, he wanted her close; oh, so close. He wanted her close, didn’t wanna forget her. Grow flowers on the spot, smell her. Instead, the flowers burned in the vase.

She had told him she wanted to be cremated. One airless night, when the drapes lay like a shroud. She had told him; she had told him her hopes and dreams - then.

She had burnt them down. I want to be cremated.He hadn’t done it. He couldn't do it.

So she lay, under the ground - under his ground. So she lay, buried. And all the while his soul screamed for release. Every night he opened the drapes; every night hoping for air, and instead, the air bore memories of her. Rocked them slowly to his side till he could smell them.

God! He needed to open the window.

Again; he refused to move

One spring the first flower had grown. Called it the Tear Flower. No water, spiteful sun, watered by his soul. Burned the flowers - cremated them. He owed her that. Smelled her memories, set her soul free. Allowed it to roam. Hers was the only free one, while his soul was in the walls.

Never quite there. Never quite felt.

Blood still on his arm.

He felt he was mad, smelling the flowers, he could feel the madness caressing him with its black forked tongue. He could feel it; yes.

He was mad.

Mad to burn the only connection he had with her, mad to smell her hair, her hands, her neck. Oh, God! He could almost feel her. So close.

Silence.

The flower still burned.

He had a fool notion that if he burnt the flower to ash she might come back, that somehow the flower had become her.

“Silas?”He didn’t turn. She wasn’t there.

“Silas,” a faint buzz in the air. A flicker. “Silas, you fool.”

He didn’t turn - wouldn’t turn.

“Silas. . . the flower.” Another buzz, another flicker. “Silas.” Pleading now. Desperate.

He wouldn’t turn.

“Silas.” Gasping. Staring through cold glass. “Silas! Silas! You fool.”

He couldn’t turn. . .

. . . He finally turned.

She wasn’t there.

The Tear Flower had burned to ash.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:04 am

First Impression: Well this was a bit of a story and a half here. For something as short as this, it manages to pack such a punch to it, and it felt like there were so many meanings to it intertwined among the sort of central meaning that seems to run through the whole piece.

Waiting for the tempest.

Well that is an interesting place to start here. There's an sort of abstract sense to everything here as we get underway, this really doesn't feel like sort of the more typical way to start a chapter at all, and I'm liking it at the moment. There's a very interesting vibe it creates that adds a sense of almost unintended mystery to the situation.

He needed to open the window.

Oh wow, well that took a turn. From the more sort of mysterious and slightly abstract vibe we have just straight up nose dived into a body and requests not being honored and this is now turning into an entirely different style of story here, not that I'm complaining so far, this is quite the rollercoaster but I'm liking this direction perhaps simply from how different it is.

God! He needed to open the window.

Again; he refused to move

Well...hmm and we're playing with a slightly more abstract tune. This is a very interesting little combo here so far. I will say it definitely leaves us with quite a lot to be thinking about here in terms of what some of these more abstract images could truly mean and also about the thought process behind the not so abstract parts of this.

Never quite there. Never quite felt.

Blood still on his arm.

Well these images are slowly getting more and more intriguing here and you can almost sort of sense the madness that's being mentioned taking over the imagery and the tone of the piece. I don't know if that's intentional but I love the effect that it manages to provide to this here.

He was mad.

Silence.

The flower still burned.

Well this is a lovely little almost moment of clarity in this spiraling madness as we get a bit of a confirmation on what exactly triggered the thoughts from earlier and suddenly the idea of this madness he seems to speak of also hits you just that little more grounded in this idea.

He didn’t turn - wouldn’t turn.

He wouldn’t turn.

He couldn’t turn. . .

. . . He finally turned.

She wasn’t there.

The Tear Flower had burned to ash.

Well....a little bit of a return to true abstractness for it to all be capped off. I think that does leave us with a powerful and still somehow simultaneously rather open image there in terms of exactly what went down in a less metaphorical sense. Its a lovely choice I think to cap off this piece and the rollercoaster it has been.

Overall: Overall, I think this makes for a very solid piece here. It leaves you feeling quite a few emotions and at the same time leaves you thinking if maybe you did actually understand it correctly. Definitely not the sort of thing you can only read the one time.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:52 am
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

Ooh, man. This was phenomenal. Throughout the story, I noticed a knack you had for telling just enough but not overly explaining it—it felt almost like a poem in that way, in which you could honestly take a few interpretations of it. I thought it painted such an interesting picture of grief, of this main character Silas who lost an important woman in his life and continues to burn the flowers that sprout on her grave. It was equal parts haunting and touching, and you should be proud.

I think you did such a great job with the structure. You made some really interesting choices regarding both sentence structure as well as paragraph structure. I think the short paragraphs towards the end worked super nicely to build up the tension before ultimately diffusing it with your last sentence. It also served to leave the ending a little ambiguous as well, looking at whether she was actually there or simply a figment of Silas' imagination. In terms of sentence structure, I thought the choice to omit some pronouns in certain sentences like "Called it the Tear Flower" and "Smelled her memories" was super interesting and gave the story a really unique feel. It felt intentional, and almost served to show the narrator's shaky mental state. Both of those structure choices were very nicely executed, and served to make the story super unique.

He was always there; and never quite.

I was curious about your choice to use a semicolon there; I think a comma would have worked just as well.

Small thing: you forgot a space in between the dialogue and the rest of the sentence.

Overall: brilliant job. I really enjoyed this story, and I hope to read and review more of your work soon! Until next time!

BEASTtheHUN says...

Thank you so much. This was more of a stylistic piece, and just showed my wacky style to the fullest. I'm so glad you like it.

Very eerie..never go against the wishes of those you love, or they will come back to haunt you. Silas should have burned her body like she asked him to. I feel like the song “Who is she?” By I monster would go well with this story. It’s got the same forgotten memory feel to it as the song. I can imagine this as a lost story of love and death, alone in an abandoned house that once shone…I wish you a lovely day/night.

BEASTtheHUN says...

Thank you so much for the review. This means so much.

You%u2019re welcome! :)

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42