z

Young Writers Society



Beast

by Azzy


The beast looks at the world crumbling around it. I search for guilt on its face but there wasn’t any. Even with the taste of food on its tongue and even in the face of all the horror it has caused, it is still hungry. Hungry for more. More power, more hurt. The beast is selfish. The beast is cold. The beast is heartless. We are its food; we are its playing pieces. The beast knows what he has done has made the world an undesirable one, but he'll work to make it his heaven.

He worked on it to make it a dream. In his eyes, a beautiful dream. In our eyes, a nightmare. Walking on the lines. Rows of people. A sterile disinfected world. Genetically modified to perfection. The perfect slaves. Slaves for agriculture, slaves for sex, slaves for cooking, slaves for housework. A blank world. Wiped of all personality. Wiped of education. There are the special few. They work for him. They are the police. The slave workers. They are the poison makers. They get some pleasures. Less poison, some freedom, some education.

The poison is what keeps them under control. It makes them physically fast, mentally slow.

The beast is happy. The beast did what was best for him. The beast is on top. The poison keeps him there. It doesn't make us happy, though. Just incapable of expressing our depression. I am capable because I don't take the poison. I am daughter of the beast.

I see the pain. I've dealt with his egotism. I feel it everyday. While they're out toiling away in the fields, the bedrooms, the kitchen or around cleaning, I watch. I watch in shame, knowing I'm a product of him. I would rebel but with whom?

They hate me; I get to live life free of the poison and free of the work. Everyone else hates me because I sympathize with the people they hurt.

I live in a world with no friends. I live in a world with no love.

I write this with a knowledge that the people out there don't have. What's the point of having this knowledge? I can't use it. There are rules against that. If I do use it, I will be poisoned.

This poison is not like the ones we had before the beast took over. The other poisons, people were allowed to stop. The other poisons weren't allowed. They didn't make people buff and dumb. They just slowed them down. Today's poison is a different, dangerous one.

I must figure out a way to take charge. Knock my father from his throne. Leave him helpless. But I'd need help. How do I find help? Can I lie? Can I trick? Only time will tell.

Five years later

Time has told. I could trick, I could lie but only for so long. I told them I now saw that what they were doing was the right thing all along, that I believed them, that I would help their cause.

One day, I was trusted with clinic duty; I was trusted to deal the poison. I sucked up and it did me well.

All this trickery had brought me closer to the beast. Soon after the day at the clinic, I was in the beast's bedroom having a culinary discussion when, I took my opportunity. I edged closer then, pounced.

Four quick stabs to his stomach and then, I slit his throat. He was cold and dead but I felt no regret. Was I like him? I don't think so.

I probably could have gotten away with it, we don't have the best police, but I came clean.

Now, I spend my days inside my tiny cramped prison cell writing. There are papers covering the floor. Words fill the room. These are the ones I've wanted to say most, though.

It may seem as though I have lost the battle but life is slowly getting better outside of this jungle of bars and walls.

Not giving poison that day in the clinic but instead wisdom helped exponentially.

I lost my life, took another and I helped heal the world but I am still left with the question: Am I a bad person?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:00 am
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi Azzy,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

This is a very thought-provoking piece you have written, especially in the current situation. It has some really good points and metaphors that help the reader build a good understanding and even younger ones get a rough picture of what exactly is at stake here.

I was very pleased that you stayed quite simple with the structure and the actual story without going deep into names or any particular descriptions, because I see the work more as a parable or an anecdote where the aim is to teach the reader how to think than to ultimately entertain them. That's a big plus, because that's what you've managed to do here with the work.

You use a lot of rhetorical devices and build up a good "political propaganda" by calling on the reader to see the world a little differently in some details. However, I also noticed that you make more use of it, sometimes too often, and that's why it comes across as a bit bumpy. You are a bit repetitive, especially with the structure of the smaller sentences, so I think that the thoughtful and serious effect you are building up gets a bit lost and the reader is more faced with a standard work here.

I would advise you to rewrite some passages and revise the structure a bit, without directly changing much of the actual meaning, and you will have a wonderful work.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




Random avatar

Points: 360
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:42 am
Krishsharma21121 wrote a review...



Hey there Azzy!
First off, I would just like to congratulate you for this piece. I just want to tell you that this is an amazing and thought provoking short and it really left the reader with some sort of i guess you could say, a cliffhanger due to the nature of your last few words, 'Am I a bad person?' One small thing that i picked up on is in the first paragraph, I would recommend that you change the 'it is still hungry.' I would replace it with. 'it was still hungry.' This is merely due to the fact that i guess it flows better with the tense you're using and easier for the reader to interpret. Anyways, that's my two cents, i hope you have a great day, stay safe and i hope to read more of your work!
Krish :)





It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore