z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dear Friend

by Ayma


You are the one i will know forever, dear friend.


Late night car rides
So hopeful.

Life will come, and time will flow, spreading us thin.

But still, one day your kids will call me "Aunt"
And I'll still call you friend

-----

I am considering giving this short poem to my best friend for Christmas, but i feel as though it could use some improvement. Let me know what you all think!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 9

Donate
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:25 pm
View Likes
KaPo21 says...



This is short and sweet which makes it the best thing to give to this friend (if she is hasn't moved yetπŸ˜•).

This poem shows your friend that you are the truest friend material that ever stepped face on the planet earth.

You have a gift for poetry, it is clear to see in your writing.πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ 4.5 out of 5!!!

Girl (or guy) you can write like BOSS!!! You go!




User avatar
218 Reviews


Points: 13763
Reviews: 218

Donate
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 am
View Likes
WinnyWriter wrote a review...



Awww! This is super sweet! You should DEFINITELY give it to your friend!!! It will be something treasured between you forever.

That being said, this is a really precious piece. I like how it looks back and reflects on great times and wonderful memories. It really shows the awesomeness of friendship.

The are only a couple things I'd suggest fixing up. First of all, the "i" in the first line needs to be capitalized. Secondly, the very last line has no punctuation, so I'd advise adding a period there. Otherwise, it's really, really nice! Great job!




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 1513
Reviews: 27

Donate
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:29 pm
View Likes
StudentAH wrote a review...



Oh. My. FLIPPING GOD.

I love this. I would definitely send this to your friend. Make sure you capitalize that "i" in the first line, though!

I also think that you could add a comma after "late night car rides" like this:

> Late night car rides,
> So hopeful.

With that being said, that line was a bit confusing to me when I read it. I see how late night car rides could be fun, joyful, peaceful, or anything else. But I feel that the adjective "hopeful" doesn't deliver simply because there's no context to what it is you'd be hoping for. If the poem was longer, perhaps it would be elaborated: Like, if you explained that you were hoping you'd be in each other's company forever.

But I really LIKE the poem being short like this, so I feel that changing the adjective might work better. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, as I naturally felt some slight dissonance after reading that line, like my brain didn't totally register it.

That being said I honestly really love this poem.

I especially love how the length of the poem is short, but the time-frame is so long. Its bittersweet how it goes from you guys as kids to you both having kids of you own. Just freaking awesome all around. I love the concept.

And, I think your friend would LOVE this.




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:26 pm
View Likes



This is beautiful there's something powerful about how concise it is. I loved the notion you conveyed that even as life becomes difficult you'll still be friends.




Random avatar

Points: 201
Reviews: 69

Donate
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:11 am
View Likes
brookeallo wrote a review...



I really like the poem. I've had a lot of really close friends and I can feel that in the poem. One thing I would say is it sounds like its written for like a best friend instead of just any friend. I realllllyy loved the part about life spreading us thin it was a powerful line. The last line and I'll still call you friend seems kind of bland I feel like it could mean more if other words were used to really show how much you cared for your friend. The poem right now is kind of short but in a way that play's with the overall feel of it. If you were to give it to your friend I would just try to make it more personal. I loved reading it and hope to read more from you. :)




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 9

Donate
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm
View Likes
KaPo21 says...



I like it because it is short and it has a lot of beautiful things in there. If someone were to write that for me I would be eternally grateful.




Ayma says...


Thanks so much!



User avatar
142 Reviews


Points: 1992
Reviews: 142

Donate
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:31 pm
looseleaf wrote a review...



I like it. It is short and sweet, yet you tell all you want to say. My favorite is the last line. "And I'll still call you friend". It shows that friendships can last a lifetime, which is great. My only problem is the middle lines. I did not understand how car rides could be so hopeful. There is probably a good meaning to them, but I did not understand. Otherwise, there is nothing I would change. Keep on writing and Merry (early) Christmas!




Ayma says...


Thanks! And the middle lines are a bit of an inside joke, probably should have mentioned that haha %uD83D%uDE01 Thank you for the review!




It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.
— Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian