12+

:Prologue

by Aylisha

As I walked out of Little High I saw Rebecca waving frantically. I approached Rebecca casually, to see she was still in her ceremony gown from graduating. Rebecca and I have been friends all throughout high school. When I first met her freshman year Rebecca was shy and had no friends, Becca has come along way, now she is peppy and happy every day. Becca has long brown hair that is always silky with crystal blue eyes, which makes her standout in Little for the mass population is blonde. As for me I was a blonde haired and blue eyed girl named Natalie Cross, I think of myself judgmental and rational.

Becca and I had just graduated 10 minutes ago and now we will soon go to college. Becca and I had been sending applications to colleges for months and I only got a few back, but do to parent funding I cannot accept any without a scholarship. Becca got accepted into Little University which is 5 miles away from Little High School.

“Hey Natalie,” screamed Becca trying to get my attention, “Where have you been?”

With a smirk on my face I replied sarcastically, “Hanging out with other friends.”

Then Becca punched me lightly, “ Yeah,” she said rolling her eyes, “ and I am a famous singer named Kaylie!” We laughed hysterically for several minutes. Once I regained my sanity, I looked around the front of the high school to see that all eyes were on me and Becca. Becca quickly realized after me that we were getting stared at, I then felt someone put there hand on my shoulder I soon turned around to see whose hand was on my shoulder, but instead I found out people weren’t staring at me they were staring at the stage and band behind me. I soon came to realize the school had hired a local band that was popularly known between the students. Everyone started cheering for the band, as for me I found my car and left for I had come to despise local bands for dropping out of high school to be in a meaningless band that people will only remember for 10 years.

I drove home, as I walked up to the door I noticed a glare from a small light. I opened the door to find my parents and little brother that is in middle school, surrounding a small cake. The cake had the words: Congrats On Passing high school, across the small cake in pink. I looked up at the kind people that stood before me and cheerfully I said, “ Thank you for the cake, but you didn’t have to get me a cake.”

“No problem honey,” replied Mom. I hesitated and finally blew out the candles on the small cake. Dad sliced the cake, then put it out in front of everyone.Then the inevitable question surfaced, “So sweetie where do plan to go to college now that high schools over?”

I felt my palms start to sweat and I finally blurted out, “It is a secret!, just expect me gone when college starts!” I looked up to see my family staring at my blankley. After several awkward minutes everyone was finished with the small cake so I retreated to my room up stairs. My family was poor and could only afford a run down two story house (not including the basement), my parents worked hard at two full time jobs to afford the nice items me and my brother have so I could never ask my parents to pay for my college tuition. In other words I can’t afford to go to college. I surfed the internet for half an hour trying to find colleges that will exempt students from paying the tuition fee in a high full paying scholarship. Once again I found nothing that will help me.

One month goes by and all my items are nearly packed and ready to go at any given moment. I had two months until the deadline for college. Once again I surfed the internet for any website that can help me go to college. Tonight was different from the previous nights for I had almost completely lost hope for going to college I had some money already saved up for college from working my part time job. As I was about to go to sleep I came across a website that read, “Need to go to college now just sign this contract!” I briefly read the contact, then I printed the contract at the local library the next day. I signed the contract and read through everything and skipped the fine print do to pressure and sent it in the mail to the websites headquarters

A week pass, and no response until friday the next week. The letter held my contract and a small piece of paper. The letter read:

Dear Miss Natalie Cross,

Thank you for signing up for our plan to get you into college for your first four years with no cost. Me and my associates are looking forward to see you complete and react to your assignments. Here is your first assignment, good luck Miss Cross.

Sincerly,

Your Employer

As I looked up from the nefarious letter I felt my hands trembling with fear. Who was my employer? What did me mean by assignment? I took out my contract to reread it to figure out who was my employer and what he meant by assignments. I finished skimming the contract and was on the final page where I noticed a sentences in fine print that was now highlighted. The highlighted section read, “To get the scholarship the client must complete a total of four assignments of the course of two weeks.” I gasped in horror to see that asissments was used in such a broad term.

I picked up the letter once again trying to decode it for any hint or clues to my employer. As I finished rereading the letter I noticed a small piece of paper attached to the back of the letter. When I pulled the piece of paper off it read,“Your first task is to meet Chris Davis outside of 26 Warehouse on Second Street on June 7 at 7 o’clock am.” I looked up in curiously. For what is the task am I sent to do at 26 Warehouse on Second Street? Who is Chris Davis, and what am I meeting him there for? I started my computer up and searched Chris Davis. To my surprise several thing came up on Chris Davis. The first thing I clicked on was titled, “Chris Davis my hero.” The website provided information on Chris Davis’s personal life. The personal life of Chris Davis is he is a professional martial artist. He was famous for winning several top notch competitions for skilled fighters.

The 7th of June finally arrives. After breakfast at 6:30, I got on the bus for the 15 minute ride to the next bus stop. After I got off the bus I started walking to the warehouse. I reached the warehouse right at 7 o’clock am, to my surprise Chris davis was already there waiting for me. I approached him cautiously for he was a skilled martial artist. Chris had brown hair and brown eyes, he looked like he was in his mid thirties except for the fact he had scars on his face. Right as we meet face to face he gestured to go inside. I walked inside to see a mat covering the small warehouse’s floor.

“Why am I here?” I finally asked.

Chris slow spoke “I am your trainer for assignments and fighting technique, as you know this is your first assignment of four.”

“Great,” I replied sarcastically, “When am I going to be able to leave?” He looked up me strenuously, “You can go home when I say so.”

I sighed realizing that could mean I am stuck here for hours on end, “Okay lets get started,” I replied.

The first form of martial artist that I learned from Chris was karate and boxing. Boxing introduced me to my true strength, when I was a child I had never participated in sports due to my family's lack in money. Karate introduced me to thinking quickly on my feet, I never participated in games that required quick thinking as a child either. Hours go by and it is 4 o’clock pm, I am now able to do serious damage in a fight if necessary.

“Okay,” said Chris, “you are ready for fight now, but you don’t have much stamina. Come back tomorrow same time with proper fighting attire and be ready to run 10 laps around the gym.”

“What,” I replied distressed, “I thought I was done with my first assignment!”

“You thought wrong Natalie, you have a lot more work to do,” he replied coldly.

“See you tomorrow Chris!” I exclaimed, “Chris from now on I am joining to call you Chris instead of not calling you anything.”

The next day I came prepared with running shoes and old clothes for running. I walked into the warehouse and surprising no one was there. Might as well take advantage of the situation, so I dropped my bag and began hitting the life like dummy for practice. After several blows to the dummy I looked up on the monitor that was on one of the walls where how powerful each blow was appeared after being rated. The monitor read that my last five hits where all level 8 strikes. A smile then cracked on my face for I had never managed a level 8 hit. Suddenly I heard footsteps and a man laughing man from behind. I turned around to see Chris and another man standing at the entryway for the warehouse.

“Good job Natalie,” said the strange man laughing, “my name is George Morose I am your employer.”

“Oh so you are my employer some how I imagined you different,” I said calmly. George Morose has black hair with green eyes he looks like he is in his mid thirties.“Natalie I came today to ask you what college you want to go to, George exclaimed, “So what college do you want to go to?”

I stood there for a moment then I finally said, “The college I want to go to is University of Flowers and I want to be a writing major there.” The University of Flowers was famous for its incredible writing program.

“Okay if that is where you want to go then you can go there,” he replied with a smirk on his face, “here is you next assignment Miss Cross.”

I went home after another long day. As I reached my room I remembered that I hadn't looked at my next assignment. I pulled out the piece of paper, immediately realizing that this slip was longer than the last slip. When I opened it was a letter with instructions like last time. The letter read:

“Dear Miss Natalie Cross,

Your last assignment was so outstanding my company decided to advance you to the next step. Tomorrow meet Chris Davis outside of Jacks Shooting Range at noon. Bring comfortable clothes along with a note book. See you then Miss Natalie Cross.Sincerly,

George Morose”

I wonder what my assignment will be at the shooting range? I think I am going to learn how to shoot a gun based off my previous assignment was teaching me how to fight. I get up the next morning pack my bag with a notebook and headed off. When I get to the shooting range I see Chris and George waiting for me along with a young boy probably 18 or 19. I walk up to George, Chris, and the young boy and notice he is holding an shotgun.

“Hi,” I said cautiously, “So what is the assignment that I am going to do today?”

George replied, “Today you will learn to shoot and dodge bullets.”

“Okay shooting bullets doesn’t sound to bad. Wait, what dodge bullets?!” I replied nervously. I felt my palms get sweaty and my hand tremble, I didn’t want to die at such a young age. Then I thought hang in there Natalie if you want to go to college you got to get past this. I suddenly calmed down faster than I thought I could.

“Shall we get started?” whispered the young boy, “the shooting range is this way.” The boy pointed to the a small building and several fields of grass. We followed the boy until we had got on one of the shooting ranges.

Hours go by and it turns out once again I am a natural in shooting and in dodging paintballs. At the end of the day I had learned how to shot, hold, and load a gun. I am now able to dodge bullets very well. George looked very impressed at the end of the day. I was then handed my next assignment, I had one more assignment to do after the one I was handed then free to go to college.

I drove back home where I found my mother and father sitting at the table looking very strict. I felt worried for my mother and father never looked so strict.

“Sweetie, you still haven't hold me and your mother your plans for college,” said my father.

“Well my plans for college is I am going to University of Flowers and I am going to be a writing major!” I exclaimed. I felt my hands sweat because my parents might ask how I can afford it. I looked up at their blank faces and to explain myself I replied, “I got a scholarship to it.”

“Okay then sweetie, we trust that you made the right choice,” mother replied in a cheerful voice.

I retreated to my room to see my next assignment. I pull out the assignment realizing once again the paper is longer than before. The assignment this time was for me to escort the mayor of Little in two days at 7 o’clock am outside of Town Hall. I finally came to the realization that I was one weak until the contract was completed. I suddenly felt a warm and fuzzy feeling in myself when I thought about finishing the contract, but at the same time I felt sad that all the fun times I was having discovering my true strength and true self would come to an end.

Two days passes, then I see the mayor and Chris at the town hall. I wonder where I escorting the mayor to.

“Hey Chris where are we escorting the mayor to?” I asked.

“We are escorting the mayor to his favorite breakfast restaurant,” he said calmly, “the mayor has heard of recent attacks to small town mayors so he wants to be extra cautious.”

“Okay I see,” I replied cheerfully.

The mayor finally came out of town hall at 7:30 am. Me and Chris walked behind the mayor until we approached a restaurant called “Eggs.” The mayor then entered the restaurant with Chris behind him, where I stayed behind to guard the door. I stood outside for fifteen with no moment, no cars, and no people. The town is always quite early on Saturday mornings. As I scanned the streets and alleyways I saw a dark figure lingering in the alleyways probably an attacker sent from the mayor. I should probably not go after him or her unless he or she shows a sign that he is going to attack.

“Hey Chris I am going to circle the perimeter of the building,” I said cheerfully. I circled the perimeter keeping in mind that the dark figure is making their move on the mayor. Instead of finishing the perimeter I climbed the ladder to the roof. When I reached the roof I army crawled to the front where I say the dark figure taking his position to kill the mayor. Right before the killer was going to shoot I jumped off the building and quickly got out handcuffs. Then I quickly took over the situation by pinning the attacker on their belly then handcuffing their hands together. Chris then came running out of the restaurant. I then gave him a stern look which he must understood because he immediately called the cops. Several minutes passed and the cops arrived and took the attacker to the police station.

After the danger past and the assignment was over I got my last assignment. Chris handed me it with a smirk on his face, over the past two weeks I have became good friends with Chris. I smile backed but my smile was apologetic because I didn't want my friendship to end. I opened the slip of paper to see a short letter as my final assignment.

“Dear Miss Natalie Cross,

For you last assignment you need to meet me at the warehouse tomorrow at 7 o’clock am for opportunity chances. I will also give you your forms for college at the warehouses.

Sincerely,

George Morose”

Tomorrow came and once again George beat me to the warehouse. George and I then sat down at a small table to talk about opportunities.

George looked at me sternly, “Natalie you are a very promising client of my company,” George said, “How would you like to become a professional agent for my company?”

“What do you mean?, I understand you company is service place for people to get items desired by doing tasks, but I don't understand what you mean by professional? I said with a confused look on my face.

“My company is actually an testing program for promising young agents such as yourself. First we research promising new agents backgrounds. Then we test them to see if they can and will become a professional at my company. You were selected at our next student. So what do you say will you become a part of my company after graduating college?”

“I will live out my life as it goes but for now I am going to college once I am done with college I will contact you if I haven't already” I replied with a smirk on my face. Then I simply walked out of the warehouse, to my future of a college student and beyond that. For life is full of unexpected twists and turns, I know see that this is the biggest twist or turn I have ever faced.

Four years later after seeing George Morose. I now have a masters degree in writing. I pulled out my phone and scrolled down to my George Morose contact. I looked around the courtyard to make sure no one was watching. I stared at my phone for several minutes contemplating if I should call George. At that moment my phone started ringing.

“Hello?” I asked curiously.

“Hi, Miss Natalie,” the mysterious caller spoke softly. After several seconds I remembered the familiar voice belonged to George.

“George, it has been four years and I made my decision I will become an agent for your company,” I responded quietly.

“See you there Miss Natalie,” I hung up the phone. Then out of the shadows of the courtyard a figured appeared and handed me a small sheet of paper. The only way I can describe that day is the happiest and most life changing day of my life.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:50 pm
kevin25a wrote a review...

Absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to your next chapters if you're planning to make any. Like the comment before me I understand struggling with commas, I also noticed a couple typos, and one spot your quotations were only added at the beginning and not the end. But overall absolutely loved the story. Hoping you continue it with her life as a writer/secret agent.

Aylisha says...

Thank you for the suggestions, I will work to do better.

kevin25a says...

You did amazing already :)

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 pm
JoytheBrave wrote a review...

Hi Aylisha,

This is a very intriguing storyline; I think you're off to a great start. I have a few suggestions for you. First off, you change tenses quite often which may confuse readers. Try choosing a tense (past, present, future) and sticking with it. This will clarify what's happening and make your story flow smoother. Also, your sentences are sometimes run-ons. I'll give you a for instance,

"I will live out my life as it goes but for now I am going to college once I am done with college I will contact you if I haven't already"

You should either split this sentence into two or add some commas in. Which leads me to my next point: commas. I struggle with commas ALL the time, so I understand perfectly. :) If I were you I'd run this by an English teacher or someone with more expertise than me and ask them where you should add in more commas. There are a few typos so you should probably look it over and make sure you get them cleared up.

After you fix these little mechanical errors this will be a really amazing story. :) I love your use of dialogue and the extensive vocabulary this piece shows. Keep up the good work! I hope to see more of your stories soon! :)

Joy

P.S. Did you notice we're both thirteen and we both started today? Awesome. :)

Aylisha says...

Thank you Joy for the suggestions. And it is totally amazing that we are both thirteen and started yesterday. Your a big help!

Aylisha

uwu
— soundofmind