z

Young Writers Society



driving back from dinner

by AvantCoffee


In a sleepy tunnel of full-bellied night

we follow checked light beams

and red traffic streams.

Parents are fractured shadows

in the front. Upright impressions.

My mother's ear -

a monochromatic shell;

inside it are places

I will never know.

And headphone rapping

against the bygone pane, I search the half-moon

and wonder when, precisely,

it lost its enchantment.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
979 Reviews


Points: 58
Reviews: 979

Donate
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:23 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



So here’s my take on the poem:It’s about driving from a family event,not being able to talk to each other in the car,out with too much on your minds.Everything seems dull and weary as you drive through the night.All color has been lost from the world of which you live in.I hope you have a lovely and wonderful day and night!




AvantCoffee says...


Thanks for your interpretation of the poem! :)



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there AvantCoffee! Niteowl here to review (and finally get my KotGR unicorn!).

Overall, I really like this. It's the sort of poem that takes a mundane moment and brings it to life, digging a little deeper to say something interesting. The end makes it feel like the speaker is trapped between childhood and adulthood-they are no longer young enough to be spellbound by the moon, and they are starting to see their parents as people, but at the same time, they're still in the backseat, not in control of their own life.

In a sleepy tunnel of full-bellied night

we follow checked light beams

and red traffic streams.


Great opening line! However, I'm not so sure about the next two. The rhyming sets up an expectation that the poem will continue to rhyme, and yet nothing else does. Perhaps that was intentional-as the speaker's life has become more complex, simple rhymes don't come as easily anymore. Or perhaps it wasn't intentional, in which case you may want to reword this so it doesn't rhyme. Though now in the time it's taken me to write this paragraph, it's grown on me.

Parents are fractured shadows

in the front. Upright impressions.


This transition to the parents is interesting. The term "fractured shadows" shows that the speaker is now seeing the parents as merely human, unlike a young child who idolizes them. Not sure the line "upright impressions" makes sense--I just don't feel like it adds anything as currently written. Maybe you need to expand on this to show why you included it, or maybe you can just cut it altogether.

My mother's ear -

a monochromatic shell;

inside it are places

I will never know.


Not much to say here-I really like this metaphor and how the speaker is coming to terms with seeing their parents in a different light.

And headphone rapping

against the bygone pane, I search the half-moon

and wonder when, precisely,

it lost its enchantment.


I want to love the ending, but the grammar and word choice are a bit odd here. I'm assuming the speaker is leaning against the window in the backseat looking at the moon with their headphones on? It's a little hard to parse out because "bygone" doesn't make any sense. The window is "belonging to an earlier time"? I'm not seeing how the word fits. I might re-word is as "My headphones rapping against the rear window pane, I search..."

Other than that, I really love this ending.

If you wanted to, you could add more details to flesh out the scene-the music playing, anything the family members say, the feeling of being crammed in the back seat with no leg room, the speaker's opinion of the restaurant. I don't know if any of that is necessary, but it could be fun to explore.

Overall, great job and keep writing! :D




AvantCoffee says...


Thanks so much for the thoughts, nite! (and CONGRATS ON GETTING YOUR UNICORN AAA THAT%u2019S AN AWESOME ACHIEVEMENT!!)




The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard