the old things

by Arcticus

the old things are put away in boxes,
given away

the old bicycle in the tin-shed stays there
untouched

and then one day
you find out
that the old clothes don't fit you anymore

that the monsters under your bed have left
for some other kid's bunk

that there's hair growing on your chin
and between your legs

that you can hide a tired facade
behind a mask of pretense

that it is easier to run
than stand up to bullies

that you must appear tough
knuckles out, chin up
hiding away the squeaky songbird
that lives in your heart

and that there are no quick remedies for acne
or for your voice, that now cracks
like a detuned calliope

one day you find yourself leaving
for far away, and realize
that not everything fits into a bag

the old people, having bid farewell
turn into the smoke of memories
the old places turn into mirages

the mirror gives up your face
to a different person

one day you feel like someone broke into you,
stole away the best part of you

replaced what was simple

with something else - a maze caught in itself

and took away your songbird

before he left

one day you find out
that she doesn't laugh like she used to,
that you don't make her laugh
like you used to

the old friends don't drop by
like they used to, the rain
doesn't fall from the sky
like it used to

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:30 pm
Audy wrote a review...

Autumns,

The tone of this poem has a lot of care and love despite the subject matter which gets us through swimmingly, there are some formatting/flow issues in the beginning that I'll point out, but for the most part it was such a beautiful voice, an excellent execution of a theme and plenty of little nuggets of lines I care to hold onto. So much beauty <3

I want to echo Lumi, the line "one day you feel like someone broke into you" really stood out for me as well. It's not just the truth that the line speaks, it's not just even the emotional nature of it or the way the metaphor is so apt--

I've actually had someone break into my house before, which is a horrific feeling and the thing that disturbs you the most is that feeling of just having been invaded. Your personal home with your personal belongings and here comes a stranger who takes away from you the most important aspect of a home, which is the feeling of safety and protection.

So, the metaphor is more than apt, I think, because as we grow and the safety and protection of our childhood fades away, it speaks of deeper layers of meaning than just the literal "breaking into" and it gets me thinking back to those growing-up years in a different light. Why as teenagers we feel so disillusioned with life sometimes, and how dramatic and juicy and tantalizing to think of a growing-up tale as a breaking-into-your-home conflict. I love it.

But that's not what steals the cake for me, an idea can only get you so far, the execution of it rather, is what gives it that extra oomph. This is what sings to me and why the poem is so powerful. The poem leads itself up to that powerful moment I think in a very special and symmetrical way.

It leads us by grocery lists. A grocery list of all the happenings and events that we go through as we get older from childhood into adolescence. Grocery lists, like all tactics, have a double-edged sword aspect to it. The positive: it is simple, it is easy to follow, it is straightfoward and it allows you to move and jump from idea to idea, memory to memory in the simplest and best of ways. The cons of this method?

It gets overlong and boring. It gets to be like, "why are you TELLING US WHAT WE ALREADY KNOW?"

But what your poem does is it works with the cons, and actually turns your negatives into positives. I think that what makes this structure work so well in this piece is that it enables us to cycle through our own memories together with the narrator as we read the poem, and the voice, ever soothing as it is promises us a pay-off and we actually get it! and it is satisfying.

We relate to the monsters under the bed and the acne, and the songbirds in our heart. The listicle allows us to bring our own memories into the reading of it and it is very relatable.

You could say the structure itself is childlike in its simplicity, as easy as 1, 2, 3, and then the poem's structure changes at just the right moment, and that is the brilliant aspect to this poem and its execution. The fact that it changes keeps it from seeming overlong, and it naturally gives us a twist and a change in the structure which keeps it interesting and propels us forward.

Where the poem takes the "cons" of its structure and turns it into positives is how the simplicity and the structure itself plays with the deeper themes and meaning to provide emphasis! The poem transforms from a list to a metaphor JUST as the theme of the poem gets to its climax, as though the poem is growing up with us as well. Not only is speaker/reader cycling through the memories of growing up, but the poem too!

It's not just a great lead-up, it's the symmetry of apt choices of both theme and structure acting hand-in-hand together. It emphasizes your subject-matter and hits us hard with it because we haven't just "got it" or "understood it", we've experienced it. Even if not personally, through the telling of the poem, we've become it. So a real beautiful job.

Some wonderful lines too: the maze caught in itself, the squeaky songbird, that entire last stanza <3 I have mixed feelings about detuned calliope - it hit me like one minute I was having pancake and eggs and then all of a sudden there's caviar - that particular diction-choice just sticks out like a sore thumb xD I love it, I do, but maybe worth moving towards the bottom half of your poem as the poem gains in complexity?

My only suggestion besides to get rid of the centering (It is not the optimal way to read a poem as it can be a bit distracting on the eyes and from a professional/literary style standpoint seems amateur) is to work on those first 6 lines that transition into the list.

The beginning line is a great hook, but it gets kind of muddled with the lines following it. We go from the idea of giving away old things (brilliant as the opening hook to your poem) to the idea of having old things staying with us untouched and dusty (kind of cliche, but just totally different idea from your first line?) Giving things away and things staying with us untouched are like two opposite ideas battling heads for our attention, two different forks in the road and the poem really only addresses the first fork and never touches upon the second fork, so it seems almost haphazardly done. You know this is true when you can remove the bicycle line and not have it affect the rest of the poem so it seems a needless addition worth addressing.

Other than that, a splendid piece.

~ as always, Audy

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:35 pm
BeTheChange wrote a review...

This was heartbreaking! If YWS had a star system, I'd give "the old things" five out of five. I liked the motif/parallelism/repetition/whatever you call it of "like it used to". I liked that the stanzas seemed to alternate between physical and mental changes, giving the poem a structured feel. I know reviews are meant to point out positive and negative aspects, but I legitimately can't see a single problem with the piece, so I'm going to end here.
Publish your poems. They're destined--you're destined--for fame. :D

Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:31 am
Charm says...

for some other kid's bunk

that hit me really hard...xD I'm a super nostalgic person so yeah...ouch xD

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:49 pm
Virgil says...

This is the first time I've read something from you, and /wow/, this is pretty A++ for me. Very powerful piece, I might swing in for a review later on if I can.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:46 pm
Lumi wrote a review...

Ayyy, Autumns. Coming of age poetry is lovely, and while I'm not often a fan of the formatting of centering poetry for line symmetry, you pull off a decent flow in most places, though your line breaks in more frequent areas are cut to make the lines more even instead of making the flow more fluid.

By far, the most shining part of the poem is

stole away the best part of you
replaced what was simple

which is fresh and raw and brutal. I love it and how I can say it's brutal and still be talking about the softness of your tone the way you go about telling us all these horrible things at the same time as telling us you're growing up and that's natural because it happened to me, too, which is said by inference, which I love. The unspoken lines speak loudly here.

In summation of a very small criticism: work on your white space and formatting, make your flow work for you instead of being a slave to white space. Keep up the good work--

--and before I go, know that the ending is both weak and wonderful and I'm unsure which I want to call it, so it gives reread value. I suppose that's a strength. I'll be chewing on that outcome for a while to figure out its procedure.
Ty

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:21 pm
JosephGeorge wrote a review...

Hey Autumns,

First Impressions: Wow, this is a very intense piece of literature. To be honest, at first I thought that it was just another one of those, "I hate the whole world and so now I'm going to talk about how terrible it is," poems. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is in fact not one of those kind, but rather has some real value to it.

Positives: I love that you didn't attempt to follow the standard 4x4, A-B, A-B pattern that most do when writing so called "poetry." There's a difference between an extremely long limerick, and an actual poem. This definitely fits the bill.

the mirror gives up your face
to a different person

I especially liked this line, as it forces some inner thought into what you actually see in the morning. Great job at getting me to ponder about something more than just the next meal.

The whole poem, in fact, has that effect. It's ultimately simple in nature. You use some "big" words here and there, perhaps to spice it up, but in general you've kept it very basic. But the direction is beautiful.

Negatives:
or for your voice, that now cracks
like a detuned calliope

This is the only bit that I personally did not care for. It just seemed a little, out of place. But this is totally personal preference. Something to think about, but didn't affect what I thought about the poem.

Besides that one point, it's hard to say anything about a poem, as it's purely a product of your emotion and feelings.

Overall: Quite enjoyable. I definitely will flag this as one of my favorites. Great piece of writing.

I give it:
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks for the read, and keep it up!

Joseph Henry George

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:37 pm
Ejay1806 wrote a review...

Hey !! Eat here for a quick review!!
Okay .. The theme on which your poem is based is totally relatable . I am glad that you wrote on this theme , because in this way , you are voicing the opinions of millions who are still struggling to come in terms with the changes .
You talk about the every day teenage life with such powerful emotions that it moved me . I felt glad that these troubles that I have been having for quite some time now are not irrelevant . They are important and need to be addressed .
Your poem is perfect . The lines are fine , the word play is subtle and nice and the title is just great . Maybe other reviewers might critique better than me , but from my point of view , it's fine .
Good Work .
Keep it up
Cheers .
Regards,
Ejay

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom