Untitled Novel : [Chapter 1: Window Seats]

by Arcticus

The clouds look like masses of white cotton in the dim March sun, but give way like smoke as the airplane’s wings cut swiftly through them. Through my window seat, I have a nice view of the mountains below. I can see parts of the Pir Panjal range, its peaks still covered in snow from the winter. The mountains look like old sentries, standing upright in attention, as if guarding the Kashmir Valley.

There’s something about window seats. They always put me in a state of contemplation, until I start thinking about myself, where I am at the moment, and where I’m headed.

I reach for my small digital camera – an old model from my high-school days that, for its sentimental value, I haven’t had the heart to replace. I take a few pictures of the mountains through the window and am interrupted by a few quick taps on my shoulder. I look up.

It’s an air-hostess.

“Sir, please switch off your camera, photography isn’t allowed here.” she says as she smiles at me, her teeth sparkling white

“Is that so?” I ask, puzzled for an instant, but then it dawns on me, and I instantly realize what the answer to my question is.

“Srinagar International Airport is a military airport - ek sainik hawaii-adda. That’s why.”

“Oh, okay.”

She’s cute, so the camera goes back into my pocket.

I shift in my seat to a more comfortable position, which makes my neck creak, and reminds me of how tired I’ve been, ever since I left Dubai yesterday. I didn’t get time to rest at the hotel room in New Delhi where I checked in for the night- a night spent staring at my laptop screen, as I read more of those news articles, reports, and watching videos of the destruction caused by the recent floods in Kashmir. I remember Ma's words over the shaky phone signal - Remember, the old house? Your grandfather's house? It might collapse.

I am tired but I don’t want to fall asleep.

It is quiet inside the plane, except for the occasional voices of children, shrill against the silence. I pull out a magazine tucked behind the seat in front of me to read, its paper smells nice.

“She can’t sue you, you see, photography is banned at the airport. Not when the plane is this high.” says the kid seated beside me suddenly.

I turn towards him- this little legal expert, he looks nine or ten years old - probably around the same age as my nephew in Srinagar, who I haven’t seen for the past three years – except in photos, the ones that my brother had emailed me a few months back.

“Hmm, yeah, you’re right I guess.” I can’t think of anything else to say.

“I’m Gaurav Jr. and this is my dad, Gaurav Sr.” he says, again in his lawyerly voice, as he points to his dad – the mustached man. Gaurav Sr. seems absorbed in a book in his hands but looks at us at the mention of his name and nods at me.

“This is not our first holiday trip to Kashmir though.” says Gaurav Jr., continuing his ramble, swinging his feet and fiddling with his seatbelt.

“Where are you from, Gaurav?” I ask, just to keep the conversation going, and keep myself from falling asleep.

“Kolkata. My school is boring though, I’m on a two-week leave right now.”

“Hm, that sounds good.”

Gaurav Jr. lets out chuckle.

“And where are you from?” he asks.

“Srinagar. But I haven’t been here for the last three years. I live and work in Dubai now.”

After about fifteen minutes, the plane starts speeding down and lowering slowly. From the window, I see the expanse of empty land around the Srinagar International Airport and the small houses in the distance. Army vehicles in and around the runways look like small matchboxes, but as the plane lowers they start getting bigger. Looking at the military-green trucks, choppers, barbed wire and tired looking soldiers in the distance, I am - for some strange reason - reminded of my childhood and coming-of-age years in Srinagar. The wheels hit the tarmac runway.

When I step out of the plane, the cold air bites my face- Srinagar’s welcome kiss.

The walkway, even though concrete, feels wet. It appears soaked. As I walk towards the airport building I can’t help but notice the silence in the air. I am reminded of the primary reason for my homecoming – the devastating floods that shook the Valley only six months ago. We’ve seen worse but we’ve never given up, a flood is nothing. It might take some time, but we will heal, Insha’Allah, we will, Pa had written to me in one of our email conversations a few weeks ago, in that overly sentimental we-the-Kashmiris tone that he often adopts.

Whenever I’ve been at this airport, it has usually been packed with tourists, but that doesn’t seem to be the case this year. Having collected my luggage at the carousel, I wish my window seat friends – Gaurav Jr. and Gaurav Sr. a happy trip and head towards the gate. I guess they are among the very few tourists who will visit to Valley this year; I heard in the news that the flood has taken away with it, even if temporarily, the sparkle of Kashmir’s capital city Srinagar, and also stolen away some of the charm of its towns and villages. The roads are bumpier than ever, weeds float on the lakes, no one trusts the river Jehlum right now and even though the spring air now is still refreshing and cool, it doesn’t bring any happiness with it, not yet - the people, they’re still busy picking up the bricks of fallen walls, putting them back together, cleaning their houses that the floodwater entered for up to two floors, getting their cars repaired, giving each other hope, helping each other out. There have also been a lot of robberies, snatching and stealing too.

Calamities bring out the best and the worst in us, I guess.

I quickly light a cigarette as I emerge from the main gate and wait for my brother, Niaz, who is supposed to pick me up. I rub my hands to keep them warm, dragging along my luggage trolley all the same. After about fifteen minutes of waiting by the gate, I look around at the cars parked outside the airport. That is when I see him.

He walks in quick strides towards me.

“Didn’t they frisk you on your way out? You look like a terrorist.”

This is how he greets me, my twin brother, my oldest friend, Niaz, whose name still brings to my mind the picture of a lanky school-boy with dark, unkempt hair and an infectious, pink-lipped smile. He looks older now, though. I can see some gray hair.

“Baya.” he hugs me. We stay locked in this embrace in the middle of the aiport road until a soldier’s whistle makes us realize that we’ve caused a little traffic jam near the gate.

Paksa, come on, let’s get in the car now,” he says, picking up some of my bags from the trolley.

Are his eyes moist because of the cold?

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:50 pm
Lib says...

No review from me, but two little comments.

This bit made me laugh. It made me think that the kid'll be some sorta lawyer when he grows up, lol. XD

Are his eyes moist because of the cold?

Oh wow, he hugs you, and he's probably the happiest man on earth right now, and then you're like: Are his eyes moist from the cold?

C'mon, bro.

I really enjoyed reading this. Onto the next chapteeer...

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:58 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...

Hi~

You have a lovely writing style; the atmosphere that the first chapter is building towards is startlingly pretty. It's very much like the clouds the chapter begins with, in that it's both light but heavy and the reader is forever feeling like it's going to rain. (It actually reminds me of the winters in Islamabad and Murree, so congrats on nailing that and thank you for making me nostalgic, hmph. >.>)

There are a few places where the syntax is clunky, some sentences that are on the verge on becoming runaways/are runaways, so I'd recommend reading through this and trying to spot where mental pauses are needed; divide the sentences up accordingly.

The beginning gives me mixed feelings: it's lovely, it establishes location (to a degree), but I feel like you can do better. I say 'to a degree' when I talk about location because I was a bit jolted when I realised that the narrator was observing the scene from inside the plane; the description has all the flavours of the narrator observing things from the outside. The beginning is indicative of the rest of the piece being in third person, because we shift from the large scope of things to the smaller picture, instead of having that firm sense of being grounded in first-person from the onset. Also--the narrator was observing the clouds 'through' the window seat? Unless the window seat is transparent--and the rest of the plane is, too--this would be highly unlikely.

'Sides this, I'm a bit tetchy about using the word 'cotton' for the clouds; it's too solid a word as compared to 'smoke' and the images just don't align for me.

The mountains look like old sentries, standing upright in attention, as if guarding the Kashmir Valley.

I love this. Really sets the mood.

I'm being super-picky here, but the air-hostess tapped him on the shoulder? She'd have had to lean over two people to do this and I'm sure that would have been rather uncomfortable. :P

One thing that I'm missing out on is a little bit of sensory description besides the obvious one of sight. I really like how you incorporate those subtle actions, like the narrator rubbing his hands to keep warm, and it'd be neat if you could stretch that to include the other characters as well; it allows for immediate integration into the narrator's world. I'm going to echo Hira in that I'd like some more description of the airport, but I'm also interested in the valley + the rest of Srinagar as observed by the narrator. In chapter two, I imagined narrow-ish streets and this sense of warmth surrounded by bitter cold, plus the shawarma place led to me imagining one of those on-the-street chai walay and it is wonderful to have these images building up by themselves, honestly. Uncalled for tangent aside, yeah, I'd like for some more concrete description, as the narrator finds himself in current situations rather than when he's reminiscing or looking down at his home from above.

This is a tiny thing, but Zaid's name wasn't mentioned anywhere in this chapter, though you snuck it in chapter two through Niaz's dialogue. It bothered me slightly, because I scoured this chapter twice, initially, searching for the narrator's name. I don't think it's necessary for the narrator to be named, in short stories and such, nor is it important for him to be named in the first chapter, but it was weird that Gaurav Sr. and Jr.s introduced themselves and Zaid did not. Just slightly.

Zaid mentions that his primary reason for visiting is because of the floods--but those were six months ago; shouldn't he have arrived earlier? Or was there a reason he couldn't come earlier, like, for example, being unable to take a few days off from work? I'm questioning the narrator here when I shouldn't, but it'd be nice to have a couple of snippets of backstory subtly inserted in places that call for it.

Don't have anything more to say here. Grammar-wise, just a quick reminder that hyphens are not em-dashes and that a comma always precedes a dialogue-tag in dialogue~ Besides that, the flow was great and nothing really jarred me in this chapter.

I'm really, really liking this so far. Keep writing! Keep it up!

I'll try to get to chapter two soon. Hope this helped!

~Pomp c:

Arcticus says...

First draft blues. :(

This was helpful, indeed. There are some very silly mistakes which I'll correct as soon as I start making corrections. For, now, I'm just focusing on getting the story out, sketching it roughly, being more forgiving towards myself because I really want to complete it.

I appreciate this and I can't wait for your review on the second chapterrrr!

Pomp says...

Nuuu, no blues. D: This is really good and you should be proud of itt.

For a first draft, you've gotten some very solid content down (and first drafts are all about building the skeletons anyway), so I wouldn't mull over the tinier mistakes. And you're going about it right with writing consistently, because we all really want a completed Autumns Novel. ^^

<3 i shall get to ze second chapter soon

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:51 pm
Apricity wrote a review...

Hey Autumns, Hiraeth here. I hope you keep on writing this because I'm liking what I'm reading. Your poetry is great and your writing resembles it in a way, it's succinct yet it has flavour and depth. And though the content is simple it hooks the reader through its simplicity.

Before I dive into the review, I wish to comment on the ending partially because a previous reviewer pointed out something I disagree with. I like the ending because it correlates with the emotions you've been building before the chapter, it also provides a good cliffhanger for the next chapter. A sentence so simple can invoke many reactions from different readers, for me several things came to mind. Naiz is emotional that Zaid has finally come home but at the same time the thought that something unfortunate that is either currently happening or has happened and that Naiz is hiding it from Zaid. So, it's an open-ended question that leads the readers to speculate what could have happened. It also says a lot about Naiz's character, more than you'd think. It shows the readers that although he is someone who may appear confident and outgoing on the outside, he can be quite vulnerable on the inside. Anyways, that's just my two pence.

This is a hard piece to review partially mainly because there is not much room for criticism, I can tell that this is semi auto-biographical and works are aways difficult to critic due to the amount of raw emotions lurking in the piece.

I found the transition between the first and the second somewhat awkward, the shift is too obvious. You start by introducing the imagery (which is wonderful by the way) the outside but then moves onto the real location of where this takes place; inside an aeroplane. Due to the stream-of-consciousness like description in your first paragraph when you suddenly snap to something some literal the readers are jolted out of their suspension-of-disbelief. I'd actually either extend the first paragraph and merge it into the thoughts of the second one, or embed the second into the first.

You missed a period at the end of that sentence, and something else. Is the photography thing important, because most airlines will announce these things before they take off. Probably with the, please switch off your phones during take off, put your luggage under the seat, lift up the dining tray etc...(that being said I've never actually been in an airline where you can't take photos). I also have to give you credit for the conversation between Gaurav and Zaid though, aeroplane conversations are hard to nail but that was totally natural. No nitpicks there. If anything, like Savvy said I would also break up the big paragraph about houses being flooded into smaller paragraphs. That or scatter them out a bit more, when Zaid is talking about emailing with his father you could drop some of those there. The problem is also that what you've said in that paragraph resonants with what you've written in the previous paragraph a bit too strongly making the two seem repetitive.

What I had wished though, was more description of the airport. You said it was a militarised airport and I'm really curious to see what sort of memories Zaid's mind will bring up, but I'm suppose this is more of a selfish personal interest. However, given that Zaid's mind was in a reflective state on the airplace perhaps the journey to collect his baggage could be used as a chance to reveal more about what has happened with the flood and provide some background with Naiz.

Naiz is a pretty cool character, but I sort of wished that you had expanded on him a bit more and make clear of the bond between the two so the readers can establish an empathy bridge earlier. Perhaps apart from his descriptions, maybe lace some memories with those descriptions? They're always great to get the reader's feels up.

With all that I've said, your chapter would still be just as good without it. There is a good balance between information and characterization, I wish to have seen more of Zaid's background as for the moment we've only glimpsed some of his most surface thoughts but it's only a first chapter. There are plenty of chances.

I hoped this has helped in some way and feel free to tag me whenever you post a new chapter. c:

-Hir

Arcticus says...

This is my first solid attempt at novel-ing, never having made past first chapters ever. I don't even have a plot in mind yet, but I'll connect the pieces as I progress.

Thank you <3

Apricity says...

From instinct, this feels more like a character-driven piece. It reminds me of my Solaria except instead of brothers I had sisters. Sometimes it's good to explore without a plot, I have a feeling you'll do fine either way though.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:05 pm
passenger wrote a review...

Hello~

First off, I really enjoy your writing style. It looks very professional and kept me thoroughly engaged the entire time I was reading, even though dialogue was not extremely prevalent. I notice that many times people are entertained by pieces with a lot of short paragraphs & dialogue; this is not the case here. Your paragraph breaks & length were perfect. Where you did have dialogue, it didn't feel forced. This, to me, is highly commendable all on its own.

“Baya.” he hugs me.

I thought the switch between languages you used here is a good element to add to the story. Currently I'm immersed in reading "The Kite Runner", which has a similar flop back and forth between English and the other language (which I think is Farsi modern Iranian). It adds another layer to it, and I found it interesting to read & to make that connection.

On another note, capitalize the H in "he". Don't confuse body language with dialogue.

Another thing I can really compliment you on is the balance between background information, action, and internal conflict. I didn't feel swamped with an excessive amount of anything. This is something that many people have trouble with, and I thought you did a good job.

Okay, so this is a little bit of an awkward sentence. It's long and clunky. Break it up a bit. "I turn towards him. The little legal expert looks to be around nine or ten years old, probably around the same age as my nephew in Srinagar, who I haven't seen for the past three years. Except in photos, that is—the ones my brother had emailed me a few months back." Personally, that's what I would change it to. But play around with it a bit. See what works.

I love the personification here. It really caught my eye.

I wish my window seat friends – Gaurav Jr. and Gaurav Sr. a happy trip and head towards the gate.

I would complete the em dash after "Gaurav Sr." So it reads as such: "I wish my window seat friends—Gaurav Jr. and Gaurav Sr.—a happy trip and head towards the gate."

I pull out a magazine tucked behind the seat in front of me to read, its paper smells nice.

You have a few sentences like this one where you use a comma instead of a semicolon. Between "read" and "its". Without the semicolon, it feels rushed. I want a longer pause. A semicolon is normally used to join two or more ideas (parts) in a sentence; those ideas are then given equal position or rank.

The roads are bumpier than ever, weeds float on the lakes, no one trusts the river Jehlum right now and even though the spring air now is still refreshing and cool, it doesn’t bring any happiness with it, not yet - the people, they’re still busy picking up the bricks of fallen walls, putting them back together, cleaning their houses that the floodwater entered for up to two floors, getting their cars repaired, giving each other hope, helping each other out.

Whoa there. That's a pretty long sentence. Break it up. It hurts my eyes a little. An example would be: "The roads are bumpier than ever, and weeds float in the lakes. No one trusts the river Jehlum right now, and even though the the spring air is still refreshing an cool, it doesn't bring any happiness with it. At least not yet. The people, they're still busy picking up the bricks of fallen walls and putting them back together. Cleaning their own houses, the ones the floodwater had entered for up to two floors. Getting their cars repaired, helping each other out; giving each other hope."

The characterization and description you utilize for this piece are fantastic. I can picture the clouds, like masses of cotton in the March sun. It's easy for me to imagine Niaz's infectious, pink-lipped smile. You seem to know your characters thus far, and therefore it's easy for your reader to become familiar with them as well.

Are his eyes moist because of the cold?

This ending didn't do it for me. I can easily infer that the greeting between the narrator and Niaz is emotional from their hug the moment before. Ending the chapter with a restatement of what you just spent two paragraphs hinting at is boring. I don't like it. Plus, it's somewhat cliche. Personally, I would just omit that entire sentence, and leave it at Niaz picking up the bags.

Overall, I enjoyed this and would absolutely like if you could tag me for future chapters. Even though there were a few spelling & punctuation errors, those are easy fixes that can be rectified during editing. For the most part, your story engages me and leaves me wanting more, which is the goal.

Best of wishes
Savvy

Arcticus says...

Thank you so much.

So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl