Tin-Man

by Virgil

Every time I crack my knuckles, I feel like the Tin-man, needing to be oiled again.

But I wonder how alike we really are. 

My joints are rusted from all the wear of being used for people's advantages, or from pushing myself too hard. Until I get a crash screen. 

People think me a used computer, not good enough for the shelves of Best Buy.

Society says so.

I learn

That we can't be refurbished forever. Our block towers will tumble down eventually, laying on the carpet that isn't soft, like it used to be. 

We refresh our pages, on each new day. 

Pushing through all the struggles and pain. 

Ridding of them in our different ways. 

Because we're all programmed different; by ourselves and others.

After fixing the bugs and getting rid of all the viruses, we find love.

Reboot me again.

Swordfish wrote a review...

Hey Atsmai!
It's Review Day and it's MergSword here with a review!

So I usually begin like this: Memorable Quotes!

Every time I crack my knuckles, I feel like the Tin-man, needing to be oiled again: Good introduction, it's not necessarily magnetic and it may cause a slight loss of interest for the rest of the poem.

People think me a used computer, not good enough for the shelves of Best Buy: See, I know what you mean but I don't think used computers go back to best buy shelves.

Reboot me again: What does that even mean?

Okay, also, I'm confused. Are we talking about a literal tin man, or are we talking about a computer. If so why is it called Tin Man if it's a computer.

Than again, I like how you added a touch of thought and depth into the thoughts of the " protagonist"

Good Job!

erilea wrote a review...

Atsmai! So good to see you posting a work! How's it goin'? :D

Okay, first off! This line doesn't really make sense to me. What's a "crash screen?" I would suggest changing those words for future readers' sake.

"Until I get a crash screen."

So... Interesting word choice here! "Ridding" doesn't sound right. I think just "Getting rid of them in our different ways" would work just fine.

"Ridding of them in our different ways."

This next line here, the semicolon isn't needed. Just replace it with a comma, Ats.

"Because we're all programmed different; by ourselves and others."

The rest was great! Wow... I like the computer thing. The last line was amazing. I loved loved loved this poem. Good job, Atsmai!

-Artemis28 <3

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:52 am
RagingLive wrote a review...

Hello, Atwood! RagingLive here as promised! (I wanted to tease you and say it was your darling here to review, but I'm much nicer than that.)

I really loved the concept of your poem. You were talking of machines, but you were also talking of humans. But at the same time, you were talking about how humans can be machines (or are already) This was a very promising work, but I do have a few questions.

On the very first line you had a space or two before you started your sentence and it was a bit confusing. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be indented or what, but it doesn't look very put together. Unless you are giving us the illusion that this computer, machine, whatever is glitching.

or from pushing myself too hard. Until I get a crash screen.

I would suggest that you remove the period and replace it with a hyphen. Not only will it read easier but it will make more sense.

People think me a used computer,

Did you mean to say, "People think of me as a used computer"?
Or was it another "the computer is spazzing out on us" moment?

I did like the ending and I found your sense of personification very distinctive and interesting. If I got most of this wrong, I apologize as a I don't want to sound harsh. I think, though, that I did get the overall meaning of your poem.

Keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:30 am
Steggy wrote a review...

Stegosaurus here for a review!

This is a lovely poem and has a neat idea behind it. This could go to relation with society as a whole and also I enjoyed the metaphors you used throughout this poem and how you compared yourself to the Tin-Man. However, the main idea of this doesn't seem to go well with the title- I would suggest something more along the lines of 'tin society' or something (you don't have to take this action into consideration; just an reviewer's note!)

I feel like this stanza is kinda awkward- however it is worded correctly and all- just reading it in my head, I feel it should be separated into different stanzas. Since it would be easier to read (however, you don't have to take this a note; just a suggestion!)

Every time I cracked my knuckles
I feel like
Tin-man; needing to be oiled
again
or something similar.

this is a good stanza and I like the message behind it. Yet there is some wrong use of tenses (a common mistake that most people make!) that could make this stanza also fall short of interest to reader.

My joints rusted from all the wear of being used in people's advantages. I found myself pushing too hard, until my screen crashed <-- this could be an example of what you choose. You don't have to write down this idea; just a simple suggestion.

People think me a used computer, not good enough for the shelves of Best Buy

There should be an 'of' in here, after think and before me.

My favorite line would be:
Our block towers will tumble down eventually, laying on the carpet that isn't soft, like it used to be.
since it connects the whole poem itself and seems to be the shift within this poem. However at the end, it seems to also work as the shift (meaning you should add onto this poem-- but is an awesome way to end a great poem such a this!)

Overall, this is a lovely poem! I loved the message and most people could agree/ relate to what you written. I hope to read more from you!

If you want me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:13 am
racket wrote a review...

Hello, Atsmai! racket here to review your poem!
I really, really enjoyed these metaphors. They're extremely relatable and, yeah, just great. Good job! There's only a few things I would like to suggest to you, the first of which maybe changing your title? You really only stick with the Tin-Man metaphor for the first three lines, and then you go on to compare yourself to a program or a computer or something. If I were you I would stick with one main metaphor. So, though the Tin-Man thing is good, I might take it out and replace it with something that fits with the rest of the poem? So, something computer-ish and broken (My personal opinion, but a sweet title would be something like Reboot me or Refreshed).
So, your lines are a little long for a poem, so I think I'll suggest some ways to break them up, 'kay? So, generally, where there's a comma, a line ends. Sometimes people do funky breaks, but generally, that's the rule. So, here's a sample quote.

My joints are rusted
From all the wear of being used for people's advantages,
or from pushing myself too hard.

Until I get a crash screen.

People think me a used computer,
Not good enough for the shelves of Best Buy.

(love this last line...) (also, do you see how weird the transition between Tin-Man and computer is? Crash screen? It does not make sense with the previous context...) Do these breaks make sense to you? By breaking them up, you get both a more poem-like poem, and stanzas, which are easier for people to read. The first step to figuring this out would be to read the poem aloud, so you can stop a line wherever your voice pauses. The reason behind that is that people read the way they talk, so if you read it aloud and stop lines where your voice stops, well, it just helps reading.
That's it! Nice work! Gosh, your metaphors are awesome and perfectly phrased as well. I love this... so, good job! I hope to read and review more of your stuff in the future! Keep writing!
~racket

You can not put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator.
— alliyah